Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 10 Dec 2017, 10:23 (Ref:3786116)   #1
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rockingham Sunday stages 10th Dec

Event cancelled
https://twitter.com/HH_Bert/status/939798248365215744
https://twitter.com/HH_Bert/status/939798248365215744

Last edited by justracing; 10 Dec 2017 at 10:32.
Old 11 Dec 2017, 11:24 (Ref:3786259)   #2
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
There was snow on the ground when we arrived and it was snowing heavily, the forecast was for snow up until late afternoon so it was only going to get worse. It was the right call to cancel - if it had started it would have been a case of when not if it got stopped. Given that a course car hit a chicane and a Land Rover had to bail out of a chicane the organisers had no choice but to cancel.

We needed a push up the slope from the access tunnel into the pitlane for scrutineering and then a tow back up the slope to get back to service. We helped push another crews car and also a marshals car that were also stuck. We had to wait for a tow back into service as the recovery crew were towing the car ahead back (and returned to get the car behind us and the one behind that).

So whilst it was a shame we didn't get to play it was the right call.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2711.JPG   IMG_2717.JPG   IMG_2709.JPG  

Old 11 Dec 2017, 12:45 (Ref:3786279)   #3
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I now live about five miles from the venue and I can certainly testify that it wasn't great and totally understand why the event was cancelled. It has to be said, though, that I've seen much worse changing conditions on continental rallies and they've still gone ahead.

The problem is that in the UK few people turn up with suitable tyres and most people don't have a clue about how to drive in changing snow conditions.

Stuart Turner once advised young drivers that once it starts to snow get out there and drive as many miles as you can...
Old 11 Dec 2017, 13:03 (Ref:3786283)   #4
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonidas View Post
I now live about five miles from the venue and I can certainly testify that it wasn't great and totally understand why the event was cancelled. It has to be said, though, that I've seen much worse changing conditions on continental rallies and they've still gone ahead.

The problem is that in the UK few people turn up with suitable tyres and most people don't have a clue about how to drive in changing snow conditions.
At the end of the day it's a clubman single venue event - the competitors are for the most part the sort of people that don't have the budget for snow tyres 'just in case'. We've been competing 13 years and that's the first time we haven't had a tyre that is at least workable (we've got wets and assorted compounds of cut slicks).
Old 11 Dec 2017, 13:21 (Ref:3786288)   #5
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, that's fair enough Bert.

I don't pretend to be an expert but an Austrian friend a mine sometimes runs normal narrow gravel tyres on light snow - probably not ideal but they are ok as an economy option and certainly better than slicks
Old 11 Dec 2017, 13:31 (Ref:3786291)   #6
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonidas View Post
Yes, that's fair enough Bert.

I don't pretend to be an expert but an Austrian friend a mine sometimes runs normal narrow gravel tyres on light snow - probably not ideal but they are ok as an economy option and certainly better than slicks
I suspect your Austrian friend has a much bigger chance of seeing snow than we do as well! For the amount we'd use them anything other than wets/slicks isn't worth it for us.
Old 11 Dec 2017, 18:48 (Ref:3786345)   #7
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally I have nothing but admiration for the competitors on these events; the time/energy and not inconsequential finance they put in following their passion is pretty commendable. By the same token I have the same admiration for club racing in general, far more entertaining than some of the full blown national/international series. Although I did opt out early this year in attending the Rockingham event because of other commitments, I was still avidly following on social media, thanks for the updates Bert.
Old 11 Dec 2017, 20:45 (Ref:3786370)   #8
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I had some winter tyres on order, which failed to turn up at the local garage. Found out at 4pm on Friday as we were leaving for scrutineering...

A frantic ring round meant we found some more, we did used to have some but sold them on (they were good for winter road rallies, but not a huge number of people have a road rally/stage rally car) and just made it to Friday night scrutineering in time.

Respect and completely understand the organisers decision. It was our first event out after a (forced) major rebuild. Had a quick throttle body change when she started misfiring but pleased to get it sorted! With results declared on Saturday we finished 1st in class by 47 seconds which was a good result! Back out in the other seat in January...

Photos by http://www.mandhphotography.co.uk, the night one is one of my favourites of us competing and the others show the contrast in service!
Attached Thumbnails
The 2017 Rockingham Stages 18a.jpg   The 2017 Rockingham Stages 4.jpg   The 2017 Rockingham Stages 24.jpg  

Old 11 Dec 2017, 21:26 (Ref:3786389)   #9
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
Personally I have nothing but admiration for the competitors on these events; the time/energy and not inconsequential finance they put in following their passion is pretty commendable. By the same token I have the same admiration for club racing in general, far more entertaining than some of the full blown national/international series.
For us it's about going and having fun - we know we're not going to win but we go to put in the best performance we can. It's as much about tinkering with the car and having a laugh with your mates as anything else. There's nothing quite like hooning about in a car that you've got some attachment to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
Although I did opt out early this year in attending the Rockingham event because of other commitments, I was still avidly following on social media, thanks for the updates Bert.
You're welcome I bung the updates on as and when I get a chance when we're competing just in case anyone's interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze View Post
Respect and completely understand the organisers decision. It was our first event out after a (forced) major rebuild. Had a quick throttle body change when she started misfiring but pleased to get it sorted! With results declared on Saturday we finished 1st in class by 47 seconds which was a good result! Back out in the other seat in January...
I didn't realise you'd had a layoff for a while - what forced the rebuild? Have you upgraded the car as part of the rebuild? It's always seemed to be a reliable car from the events I've seen it on. 1st in class by that margin is a great result, you must be chuffed with that.
Old 11 Dec 2017, 21:32 (Ref:3786393)   #10
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
I didn't realise you'd had a layoff for a while - what forced the rebuild? Have you upgraded the car as part of the rebuild? It's always seemed to be a reliable car from the events I've seen it on. 1st in class by that margin is a great result, you must be chuffed with that.
New gearbox, clutch and engine..... all went bang at Wethersfield in August! Some small upgrades, main one being a lower final drive.

Yes, we are over the moon with the result! Helped the championships we'd entered too with (TBC but I believe), class wins.

We hadn't won our class until this year, a win to start the year at Brands and a win to finish it at Rockingham is good stuff.