Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 5 Nov 2007, 15:18 (Ref:2060317)   #1
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
'08 Schedule to be announced today

A media advisory to announce the '08 schedule went out...Mark C. posted one schedule, then a revised one, and if his revised one is right, 14 races, new in Jerez, Spain, Vegas out as expected, 6 races in the U.S., 3 in Canada and one a month August through November. The "gaps" are there again IF he's right.
Old 5 Nov 2007, 21:03 (Ref:2060568)   #2
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
http://www.champcarworldseries.com/N...e.asp?ID=12326

Quote:
Champ Car World Series 2008 Schedule*

EVENT DATES NAME, LOCATION, VENUE

April 20 Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach, Long Beach, California

April 27 Champ Car Grand Prix of Houston at JAGFlo Speedway, Houston, Texas

May 18 Champ Car Grand Prix at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, Monterey, California

June 1 Champ Car Belgium at Circuit Zolder, Zolder, Belgium

June 8 Champ Car Spain at Circuito Permanente de Jerez, Jerez, Spain

June 22 Champ Car Grand Prix of Cleveland, Cleveland, Ohio

June 29 Champ Car Mont-Tremblant, Mont-Tremblant, Quebec, Canada

July 6 Steelback Grand Prix of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada

July 20 Rexall Grand Prix of Edmonton, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

July 27 Champ Car Portland, Portland, Oregon

August 10 Road America Grand Prix, Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin

September 14 Champ Car Holland at the TT Circuit Assen, Assen, Holland

October 26 Gold Coast Indy 300, Surfers Paradise, Australia

November 9 Gran Premio Tecate Presentado por Banamex, Mexico City, Mexico

* Pending ACCUS/FIA Approval
Old 5 Nov 2007, 21:27 (Ref:2060584)   #3
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Good to see a schedule announced.

I have to say that this is a bit of shaky schedule though. I can't believe that Assen as a stand alone happens. The costs of shipping cars just wouldn't be economical for one race. Either a 15th race is announced, or this one gets dropped.

If Assen gets dropped, will AUS and MEX happen? They both appear to have issues as is, and perhaps it might be better to shorten the season and end at Road America. Perhaps move the MEX date to earlier in the season, like April.

I'm not sure where real sponsorship is obtained with a schedule such as this. I can't see an American domiciled company being excited about a six race schedule, with eight out of the country. I'm not sure the series has a high enough profile to attract a truely global sponsor at this level. It would seem as though this continues the trend towards pay drivers, attracting more Euro's with funding.

On a plus side, more natural terrain tracks is always a good thing.. wish it was Spa and not Zolder.
Old 5 Nov 2007, 21:30 (Ref:2060586)   #4
Adri_tifosi
Veteran

Spain
Jerez
Adri_tifosi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very nice to see Jerez at Schedule !!!!!!!!
Old 5 Nov 2007, 22:04 (Ref:2060612)   #5
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Interesting. Portland is back but not as part of the usual Rose Festival that I was assured it would always be tied to. Is it the usual circuit? I was hearing rumours of a new circuit being built?
Old 5 Nov 2007, 22:20 (Ref:2060637)   #6
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That Assen date of September 14th would put Champcar in direct competition with F1 in Monza.
I thought Champcar were trying to avoid going against F1 in the same timezone?

And yes that Assen date does look rather lonely
Old 5 Nov 2007, 22:27 (Ref:2060648)   #7
blaarg
Racer

blaarg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund
If Assen gets dropped, will AUS and MEX happen? They both appear to have issues as is, and perhaps it might be better to shorten the season and end at Road America.
Say what about AUS?
Old 5 Nov 2007, 22:34 (Ref:2060658)   #8
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really wish they would do something about those month long gaps in the end of the schedule. I like the fact that there is racing in November but the spread is too great. The series just kind of fades away at season's end with these gaps.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 6 Nov 2007, 00:46 (Ref:2060751)   #9
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I'm not sure what other circuits in Europe you go to in September, if Zolder is now in the Spring. I suppose you could in theory do Brands Hatch or Brno; Mugello would be a great track, but not a good idea opposite Monza.

I think there are issues with shortening the schedule in that Mexico City is already busy, at least in April, and I'm quite certain that there have been issues in the past with them insisting on having the season finale. That probably has been borne out in the contract in some respects in regards to the date of the race. I'm not absolutely sure about all this, but confident enough, and sure enough, Mexico is STILL in November and at the end of the season.

I suppose they need to find another race in the US, another in Europe, and another in Australia or one in New Zealand (they'd be cutting it a little close with the Japanese GP to go to Suzuka or Autopolis in September/October). Having those three would take care of the gaps.

Last edited by Purist; 6 Nov 2007 at 00:51.
Old 6 Nov 2007, 00:52 (Ref:2060755)   #10
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig
Interesting. Portland is back but not as part of the usual Rose Festival that I was assured it would always be tied to. Is it the usual circuit? I was hearing rumours of a new circuit being built?
PIR has in fact been repaved and slightly reconfigured in some areas (turns 5-8, and 12). Perhaps this is what you were hearing.

I always believed Portland would remain on the schedule. Why would the owners (the city of Portland) spend the money to upgrade the track to current pro racing spec if they didn't plan to hold pro races?

keke
Old 6 Nov 2007, 01:23 (Ref:2060764)   #11
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I have to say that this is a bit of shaky schedule though. I can't believe that Assen as a stand alone happens. The costs of shipping cars just wouldn't be economical for one race. Either a 15th race is announced, or this one gets dropped.
This does seem odd unless the Assen promoter wanted ChampCar at this date, regardless of the cost. It does seem logical though that there could be a second Euro event in the offering (eg Brands Hatch and Nurburgring were talked about for a while) that isnt finalised yet.

Quote:
If Assen gets dropped, will AUS and MEX happen?
Why wouldnt Australia happen in 2008 ?

Overall good to have a schedule out, more North American venues needed as per usual, bring back some ovals (milwaulkee and say Michigan
Old 6 Nov 2007, 03:23 (Ref:2060798)   #12
blueflagger
Veteran

blueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridblueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not surprised to see no Las Vegas. I wish Long Beach hadn't moved back a couple if weeks. Jerez is a great addition. I, too, am puzzled by putting Assen by itself. That's expensive for the teams.
Old 6 Nov 2007, 10:19 (Ref:2060967)   #13
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Australia must have some clause that the race is held that weekend(ish) - and it will happen, there is no doubt of that - the Qld Gov and the promoters are desperate to keep the Champ Cars
Old 6 Nov 2007, 16:58 (Ref:2061321)   #14
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerkeke
PIR has in fact been repaved and slightly reconfigured in some areas (turns 5-8, and 12). Perhaps this is what you were hearing.

I always believed Portland would remain on the schedule. Why would the owners (the city of Portland) spend the money to upgrade the track to current pro racing spec if they didn't plan to hold pro races?

keke
No, I heard (outlandish, probably) rumours that if agreement couldn't be reachd with the current promoters that a new circuit - yet another street course - would likely be implemened. I hope that this isn't the case.
Old 6 Nov 2007, 17:55 (Ref:2061367)   #15
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's the full transcript of the announcement.......

http://www.champcarworldseries.com/N...e.asp?ID=12328

Notice it says "pending FIA approval" so that hasn't happened yet and the F1 conflict could affect how they view the Assen date.

I can't imagine why anyone would be surprised by Vegas being gone....it was doomed financially to start with. Here's the Review-Journal story....

http://www.lvrj.com/news/11045031.html
Old 7 Nov 2007, 03:23 (Ref:2061765)   #16
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflagger
Not surprised to see no Las Vegas. I wish Long Beach hadn't moved back a couple if weeks. Jerez is a great addition. I, too, am puzzled by putting Assen by itself. That's expensive for the teams.
Doesn't cost the teams much more than going to canada or the usa. All the transport costs are paid for by the promoter.
Old 7 Nov 2007, 12:37 (Ref:2062065)   #17
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
stradlin21 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Are we taking bets on how many of these races get cancelled?
Old 7 Nov 2007, 13:13 (Ref:2062102)   #18
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
stradlin, what a naughty fellow you are
Old 7 Nov 2007, 13:29 (Ref:2062121)   #19
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist
I'm not sure what other circuits in Europe you go to in September, if Zolder is now in the Spring. I suppose you could in theory do Brands Hatch or Brno; Mugello would be a great track, but not a good idea opposite Monza.

I suppose they need to find another race in the US, another in Europe, and another in Australia or one in New Zealand (they'd be cutting it a little close with the Japanese GP to go to Suzuka or Autopolis in September/October). Having those three would take care of the gaps.
Looking at the Assen Date and assuming CHampcar would want consecutive weekends.
The week Prior to Assen ... Spa (F1), Donnington (WSBK) and possibly Magny Cours (World Series Renault) are in use by Major series.
The week after Assen ... Barcelona (DTM), Brands Hatch GP Loop (BTCC) and Anderstorp (WTCC) are all busy
Old 7 Nov 2007, 16:45 (Ref:2062264)   #20
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan
Looking at the Assen Date and assuming CHampcar would want consecutive weekends.
The week Prior to Assen ... Spa (F1), Donnington (WSBK) and possibly Magny Cours (World Series Renault) are in use by Major series.
The week after Assen ... Barcelona (DTM), Brands Hatch GP Loop (BTCC) and Anderstorp (WTCC) are all busy
A coheadline with DTM or BTCC is possible - it worked at the last trip to Brands and then the BTCC races featured pit stops!
Old 7 Nov 2007, 17:27 (Ref:2062302)   #21
indycool
Veteran

Stradlin, you can set the opening line on "over/under" for that.

mountainstar, traditionally, and with all F1, as you said, the promoter pays for the travel expenses. I'm not certain that's the case with CC's European rounds because I keep hearing they're track rentals, so that may not be the case. I'm sure it's true with Surfers plus a team per diem stipend.

Anyhow, if someone thinks rolling a transporter to Toronto and back costs the same as loading a container with all the teams' equipment, loading it onto a leased Fed Ex or Evergreen 747 cargo plane and flying it -- plus personnel -- overseas and back.....well, I have some land in the Bermuda Triangle to sell cheap.

And for the success of the event, it doesn't matter if the promoter pays or CC pays -- it's a huge expense that must be covered for BOTH of them by what is taken in for the race, plus other expenses.
Old 7 Nov 2007, 19:17 (Ref:2062376)   #22
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster
A coheadline with DTM or BTCC is possible - it worked at the last trip to Brands and then the BTCC races featured pit stops!
Gow has said many times he isn't interested in either joining someone elses meeting (F1) nor having anyone join their already full weekend.
So a joint meeting is never going to happen and especially not on Gow's season finale.

I believe DTM have a similar attitude, especially when they are on their travels to Spain
Old 10 Nov 2007, 17:47 (Ref:2064525)   #23
indycool
Veteran

Looks like Portland will have a busy racing weekend next year......

http://www.columbian.com/sports/loca...-nationals.cfm
Old 10 Nov 2007, 22:13 (Ref:2064670)   #24
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
stradlin21 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i guess the locals will stick with what they know best

bad for the champ car attendance

should the circus actually roll into town that is...
Old 11 Nov 2007, 12:48 (Ref:2064907)   #25
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Interesting schedule. I just wish they'd get rid of the long gaps.