Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 25 Jan 2008, 12:47 (Ref:2113327)   #26
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by snett fan55
Gregor,had a feeling you were going to ask me that!I believe it was '84, but my sons have "borrowed"my programmes,will check with them.Attended nearly all of the willhire 24hrs ,mental times for lots of reasons,much missed by us all,we even arranged holidays around the race!Most of the family attended and we needed a week off afterwards to recover.!!!!
No problem, think it must be the 1984 event when David Sears crashed the car, a yellow-fronted Opel Monza.

I agree was a great event, I always got a lift up with my Dad's youngest brother (Dad was always there for a few days before setting up) and would then stay, great atmosphere and the videos afterwards were always good value.
Old 25 Jan 2008, 14:24 (Ref:2113377)   #27
vjay48
Racer

vjay48 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i do remember one early race when a capri driven by jeremy shaw i think hit abandoned mazda at russell,quite a big accident,about 9.00 oclock on the sunday morning,the rx7 was left from an early incident.
Old 25 Jan 2008, 15:38 (Ref:2113417)   #28
snett fan55
Rookie

United Kingdom
near Norwich
snett fan55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gregor,
can confirm it WAS '84,definitely an Opel Monza.Apologies for any confusion caused.
Old 25 Jan 2008, 15:50 (Ref:2113421)   #29
GBRM
Veteran

England
No problem, was just making me doubt my last 6 months work of compiling a list of all Dad's races and results but glad they both tie up eventually.
Old 25 Jan 2008, 16:11 (Ref:2113433)   #30
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vjay48
i do remember one early race when a capri driven by jeremy shaw i think hit abandoned mazda at russell,quite a big accident,about 9.00 oclock on the sunday morning,the rx7 was left from an early incident.
I think this would have been the 1980 event as I'm sure I have pictures of the damaged car somewhere. I also think the Mazda caught fire, (again, I'm sure the pictures were of a scorched Mazda) but I'm not sure if that was the reason for it's retirement, or due to the attention of the Capri.
I also seem to remember that, after the accident with the Capri, the pace car was sent out and a number of dead cars were recovered from around the circuit.
Old 25 Jan 2008, 18:01 (Ref:2113519)   #31
vjay48
Racer

vjay48 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think the mazda caught fire after contact with the bank,the capri hit it before it could be moved. I thought at the time the mazda was not left in a good place,i think the capri rolled on impact with the mazda?
Old 25 Jan 2008, 22:01 (Ref:2113655)   #32
croydebay
Rookie

croydebay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone have any info on the TR7/Dick Adams entry? No. 20... (in '82).
Old 28 Jan 2008, 19:12 (Ref:2115701)   #33
croydebay
Rookie

Here's all the info I have at present.... does anyone have full results for '80, '81,'82, '83 and '84?

Willhire 7/8/82 20 car entry.

Opal Commadore (No.1) Andy Rouse, "Hissing" Sid Fox, Phil Doussett, Pete Hall.

Opal Monza (No 4) Tony Lafranchi, Tiff Needell, Steve Sofa, John Kelland.

Morgan Plus 8,(No. 9) Rob Wells, Chris Alford, Malcombe Ball (Paul?).

Morgan Plus 8 (No.8) Mike Duncan, Mary Lindsay

Morgan Plus 8 (No.14)

TVR Tasmin, (No.5) Colin Blowers

Triumph Dolimite Sprint (No.25) Ian Hunter,

Triumph Dolimite Sprint (No.24) Julius Thurgood,

Triumph TR7 (No.20) Dick Adams

MBG GT (No.22)

Ford Capri (No.6) Roger Williams, Ted Savoury, Paul Lowe,

Ford Capri (No.3) Gerald Saw, Peter Rabano, Andrew kirk, Art Marcus, Dennis Boy, Mike Andrews.

BMW 323i (No.21) Les Blackburn,

BMW 323i (No.26) Gerry Marshall, Andy Jefferies, Hamish Irving, John Clark, Alan McMillan, Colin Davies.

VW Golf Gti (No.34)

VW Scirrocco (No.30)

VW Scirrocco (No.31) John McHale,

Talbot Sunbeam (No.33)

Toyota Celica GT (No.23) Martin Williams,

Fiat Strada (No.32)

18 finished. 2 retired.
Old 29 Jan 2008, 00:24 (Ref:2115936)   #34
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
One story springs to mind[I also happen to know that it is completely true!]
There was one team who hired a Sierra Cosworth for the weekend,got it back to the worshop,fitted a cage and used it for this event.Upon its return,the receptionist did remark on the state of the tyres.
I also know of a certain team that did the Willhire that hired the same type of Japenese car that they were using from a well known rental firm, they used it for spares all night and returned it saying it wasn't very well One of them posts on here.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 29 Jan 2008, 08:52 (Ref:2116112)   #35
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by croydebay
Here's all the info I have at present.... does anyone have full results for '80, '81,'82, '83 and '84?

Ford Capri (No.3) Gerald Saw, Peter Rabano, Andrew kirk, Art Marcus, Dennis Boy, Mike Andrews.

...18 finished. 2 retired.
Surely these names aren't quite right? Seeing that they appear to be journalists shouldn't it be Gerard Sauer, Peter Rabano, Andrew Kirk, Art Marcus, Dennis Foy, Mike Andrews?
Old 29 Jan 2008, 09:34 (Ref:2116147)   #36
croydebay
Rookie

All the info I posted above came from a video of the '82 Willhire which came with the car. Difficult/Impossible to catch the names, which car/team/final results etc. hence my appeal for help!
Old 29 Jan 2008, 17:24 (Ref:2116444)   #37
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Hmmm I hadn't mentioned it but I agree with VIVA, a lot of the names are recogniseable but spelled incorrectly.

I'm certainly willing to take a punt on whom Steve 'Sofa' might be!! This latterly highly succesful touring car driver could never have been guilty of just sitting around...... ooh dear me I couldn't resist!!

Would anyone be kind enough to help croydebay with putting those names right?
Old 31 Jan 2008, 09:20 (Ref:2117601)   #38
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Phil Doussett = Phil Dowsett
Tony Lafranchi = Tony Lanfranchi
John Kelland = John Cleland

And as Chunty has hinted at, Steve Sofa = Steve Soper
Old 6 Feb 2008, 14:17 (Ref:2122474)   #39
Jeremy Hall
Racer

Jeremy Hall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT
Surely these names aren't quite right? Seeing that they appear to be journalists shouldn't it be Gerard Sauer, Peter Rabano, Andrew Kirk, Art Marcus, Dennis Foy, Mike Andrews?
Nearly right-they were all journos on Hot Car magazine except for Mike Andrew who ran/owned Performance Car Spares in Hammersmith and the car was a long term press loan Capri from Ford.We had a very faint nod of approval before we started and a distinct nod of disapproval afterwards. Still the car was untouched unlike the Williams BT Capri which rolled comprehensivly in practice and after the result was overturned on appeal we even ended up in the money-yes there was actually a cheque for winning in those golden days.
Old 6 Feb 2008, 18:27 (Ref:2122649)   #40
GBRM
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Hall
Nearly right-they were all journos on Hot Car magazine except for Mike Andrew who ran/owned Performance Car Spares in Hammersmith and the car was a long term press loan Capri from Ford.We had a very faint nod of approval before we started and a distinct nod of disapproval afterwards. Still the car was untouched unlike the Williams BT Capri which rolled comprehensivly in practice and after the result was overturned on appeal we even ended up in the money-yes there was actually a cheque for winning in those golden days.
Wasn't it Squeaker that rolled the BT Capri and was Martin Carroll involved in it? I remember being there (as a very, very young boy and Dad laughing!!) when the car was brought back, I think the technical term was it was ******!
Old 2 Mar 2008, 22:53 (Ref:2142759)   #41
lc1981
Rookie

lc1981 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Willhire photos

If anyone has some photos of the Willhire 24 Hour, the Wikipedia article could do with some: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willhire_24_Hour.
Old 28 Mar 2008, 13:39 (Ref:2163843)   #42
snett fan55
Rookie

United Kingdom
near Norwich
snett fan55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Groupc,
I keep checking this thread to see if you have scanned the negatives yet,but still no sign.PLEASE, post them when you can,if its a technical problem there are lots of seriously able guys who will be able to advise.(not me I assure you!!!!!!)
Regards snett fan55
Old 21 Oct 2008, 15:12 (Ref:2317624)   #43
Groupc
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
Groupc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Hi, I'm back ! Sorry, many events conspired to take me away and to be honest I forgot all about this. However, I was browsing today and found that my original post had expanded a little. I have 132 scruffy scratched and generally poor quality scans from the 1980 race and can put them on a CD for those more able than me to publish for the greater good - and even the Wikepedia article. Someone please PM me and we can sort something out. I doubt whether Russell Brookes still looks in, but I have a few images of him in the pit lane shortly after he'd rolled the Talbot looking on as his mechanics try to get a new screen in.

Once again my apologies for the enormous delay !
Old 21 Oct 2008, 15:23 (Ref:2317631)   #44
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sounds like an ideal candidate for the new image file.
Old 23 Oct 2008, 10:24 (Ref:2318913)   #45
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groupc
Hi, I'm back ! Sorry, many events conspired to take me away and to be honest I forgot all about this. However, I was browsing today and found that my original post had expanded a little. I have 132 scruffy scratched and generally poor quality scans from the 1980 race and can put them on a CD for those more able than me to publish for the greater good - and even the Wikepedia article. Someone please PM me and we can sort something out. I doubt whether Russell Brookes still looks in, but I have a few images of him in the pit lane shortly after he'd rolled the Talbot looking on as his mechanics try to get a new screen in.

Once again my apologies for the enormous delay !
I have GroupC's disc. Here are a few samples.

The Brundle family Celica with what looks like Gerry Marshall in pursuit.

The Brookes Talbot in for repair.

The Stapelton Motors Morgan

Opel v Colt
Old 23 Oct 2008, 10:27 (Ref:2318917)   #46
rallycrosscraig
Racer

rallycrosscraig has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
brilliant lets see some more
Old 23 Oct 2008, 10:48 (Ref:2318931)   #47
GBRM
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Raine
I have GroupC's disc. Here are a few samples.

The Brundle family Celica with what looks like Gerry Marshall in pursuit.

Can't quite tell if it's Dad driving but it could be that well-known driver Mark Thatcher on their way to second place.
Old 23 Oct 2008, 12:06 (Ref:2319011)   #48
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBRM
Can't quite tell if it's Dad driving but it could be that well-known driver Mark Thatcher on their way to second place.
Mrs T's offspring was a team mate. I take it Gerry had the map

The JJS Veneers Team consisted of 3 Capris with Marshall, Thatcher, Eric Cook, Graham and Trevor Scarborough driving. As Gregor states the team finished 2nd.

Old 23 Oct 2008, 12:22 (Ref:2319028)   #49
GBRM
Veteran

England
Mark didn't take too kindly to being told he was too slow to drive the final stint!!
I'd say the white car is Dad (it has a BRDC badge) and if not then Eric Cook (Dad's soon to be father in law but that's another story!!) and it was their first 2nd and was followed up by 2nd in '81 and '82 to complete the hat-trick.
I think it was 1982 when they stopped having a team of cars and one car only.
Old 23 Oct 2008, 12:55 (Ref:2319069)   #50
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Raine
The Brookes Talbot in for repair.
More of the Brookes Talbot.