Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 27 Feb 2006, 19:22 (Ref:1532673)   #26
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
its changed again too - appears (currently) that ANYONE can download / stream the races after the event, but live is still limited? Was due to be released this evening, but now put back to 10am CET tomorrow. Personally i dont mind PPV if the quality is right. I did it for the race of champions and enjoyed it, but what really needs fixing is a free to air highlights package. I understand the sky decision as they are the only broadcaster in the UK that can put enough airtime aside for it, i firmly believe if you buy sky you'll get your money's worth. Delayed highlights on the beeb would do wonders for the exposure tho...
Old 28 Feb 2006, 23:36 (Ref:1533562)   #27
waz29
Rookie

United Kingdom
UK
waz29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I Agree with a Free to Air hi-lights show in the UK as lets face it EVERY lap of EVERY race is a hi-light what with that mad concept of 'overtaking' 'racing' 'crashes' 'spin outs' & 'rolling starts' LOL long live A1 GP F1 GP is dead.
But if your still one of the few who put faith in (roundy roundy) F1 GP watch this little video clip from South Africa A1GP and prepare to be converted.
http://media.putfile.com/A1GP-South-Africa-Jan2006-mix
LONG LIVE A1 , F1 is dead (and very boring)
Old 1 Mar 2006, 00:47 (Ref:1533603)   #28
Mosport67
Racer

Canada
Near Mosport
Mosport67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by okeefe
I agree. Remember the days when we could watch races - no computer required? Looking all around, it kinda looks like being a fan of some of these series means being computer dependent. I really really wanted to see Carpentier race in this past A1GP - and I tried again through the computer. No luck. Again. I've not seen one of these races - and I find myself becoming disinterested in the series that have their events broadcast through the computer only. Come to think of it - how on earth did we ever talk about racing before computer chat boards too.............
I am not sure why you couldn't get it live. I was able to althought it took me some time to sort it out on the website.

I only saw the second race which did not go well for Pat with a long pitstop and a penalty for speeding.

I do believe that free streaming will help market the series but that is a problem where they have sold the rights.
Old 1 Mar 2006, 17:58 (Ref:1534084)   #29
okeefe
Racer

Canada
Simcoe, Ontario
okeefe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know what happened - but some friends of mine in Quebec were unable to "log in" to it too. I really wanted to see Carpentier race (I never have before!). What was his "speeding" - too fast into pits?
Old 2 Mar 2006, 08:03 (Ref:1534420)   #30
mjolnir
Racer

Australia
Sydney
mjolnir should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has anyone actually tried purchasing the replay off A1GP.com yet? I'm wondering if it's worth the money...?!
Old 2 Mar 2006, 13:11 (Ref:1534655)   #31
okeefe
Racer

Canada
Simcoe, Ontario
I've come to realize I think I'm stubborn.......I guess if I wanted to see these races bad enough I'd do just that. I know alot of boxing is pay per view; and my 12 year old daughter is a WWF fan so I see alot of that is pay per view also. I hope that racing doesn't go much more pay per view - it's something that my two youngest daughters and I enjoy and can watch for free! I'd buy a dvd set of the whole first series though if it becomes available for sale. It'd be quite the delayed viewing I know but I like to watch racing on tv better than on the computer - I think because I'm at a computer all day for work.
Old 2 Mar 2006, 20:48 (Ref:1534907)   #32
danccooke
Veteran

England
West Sussex
danccooke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Being a race marshal i got to see the first A1 from behind the armco (best seat in the house) and i have watched all the others on sky, whether that is live or recorded i don't care as long as i get to see it. The coverage is great, the commentary and studio review is good, (John Watson is slightly irritating at times)
My wife and I only really watch motor sport, and through out the season between sky sports 2 and 3, eurosport and Motors TV there is plenty to watch. Motors TV is amazing once the season has started covering all of the BTCC meets full day (including all the support races) Sky Sports covers loads of motor sport, also airs Max Power for a round up of all petrol head stuff. Euro sport covers pretty much all motorbike action, drag racing, random other racing like swamp, mud, monster truck....the list goes on
Is it worth £30 damn right it is. I could spend more than that hiring out DVD's to fill that time and not be a thrilled as watching all the overtaking, spinning, crashing action. Basically what i am saying is. If you really like your motorsport that much and it means that much to you make the sacrafice and takeyour hand out of your pocket. I think for an inaugarul season A1 have put on a fantastic performance, they have reached the masses and those circuits that didn't manage to pull in the crowds (portugal to mention one) will probably be subtited with places like Zandvort next year where there is always a huge crowd.
Old 4 Mar 2006, 13:33 (Ref:1536129)   #33
mjolnir
Racer

Australia
Sydney
mjolnir should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i'll second dan - at least you folks have the opportunity of having channels like Sky Sports and MotorsTV - I've just come back to Sydney after spending 2 years in London and the coverage here is... the word disappointing just doesnt quite describe it... (plus the Autosport gets here a week late AND costs an arm and a leg... *grumble*)
Old 5 Mar 2006, 13:48 (Ref:1536658)   #34
C.U.Motorsport
Rookie

United Kingdom
Coventry UK
C.U.Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can anyone here put a direct link to where the a1GP live coverage is hosted. In England we are unable to get it but it might just mean that they wont let us have the link and that, if we had the link, it would work.

So can any representatives from any of the live streaming countries post the link?

Matthew
Old 5 Mar 2006, 13:53 (Ref:1536660)   #35
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.U.Motorsport
Can anyone here put a direct link to where the a1GP live coverage is hosted. In England we are unable to get it but it might just mean that they wont let us have the link and that, if we had the link, it would work.

So can any representatives from any of the live streaming countries post the link?

Matthew
NO.

It's illegal to watch A1GP in the UK via the internet, as any method of doing so is contravening the broadcasting rights Sky have bought. Doesn't matter how you find the link, it's breaking the law. Anyone posting the link will be at least given a warning by the mods and the post will be deleted, at worst you'll be banned....
Old 5 Mar 2006, 13:54 (Ref:1536661)   #36
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hepatic
NO.

It's illegal to watch A1GP in the UK via the internet, as any method of doing so is contravening the broadcasting rights Sky have bought. Doesn't matter how you find the link, it's breaking the law. Anyone posting the link will be at least given a warning by the mods and the post will be deleted, at worst you'll be banned....

Cheers Hep, I was just about to make that exact same post
Old 8 Mar 2006, 12:30 (Ref:1540255)   #37
Charles Warner
Racer

United States
Memphis, TN
Charles Warner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hepatic
NO.

So, you are telling me I can not legally access the offical A1GP website from anywhere in the UK through my US based portal and watch a race via live streaming? Give me a break! SKY has purchased the "Broadcast" rights. That means no one else in the UK can broadcast the races, no? It does not mean an individual can not watch whatever he can receive. What's next? making it illegal to listen to a radio broadcast that you happen to hear in the street? Has 1984 finally arrived in Britain? Are we to have the "Internet Police" spying to see who is watching what?

If SKY wants to stop the reception then they can somehow control the live streaming available through UK portals, but their influence has to stop there. What about a gent on the south coast who can pick up a French broadcast over standard telly aerials? Is he contravening the law? Of course they can install antennae shielding to limit the signal propagation across the channel, just as the mobile phone companies do between Canada and the US.

I agree that people should get their hands out of their pockets, but don't tell me that I can not watch something I can legally receive over the net. If you want to pay for internet access through a portal that allows A1GP live streaming then good on ya.
Old 8 Mar 2006, 12:37 (Ref:1540261)   #38
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think if A1 went free to air it would be far more viable finacially
Old 9 Mar 2006, 13:34 (Ref:1541706)   #39
okeefe
Racer

Canada
Simcoe, Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
I think if A1 went free to air it would be far more viable finacially
That would sure work for me! I think there's the danger for this series of the chase involved in seeing the races turning people off from caring about it as much.
Old 12 Mar 2006, 09:57 (Ref:1544875)   #40
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Looks like there's a new link available of a low-quality (150Kb/sec) stream at only 1,99€. They've also got streaming samples so you can test the quality before you buy. If that works this evening i reckon I can be persuaded...
Old 12 Mar 2006, 20:11 (Ref:1545412)   #41
SteveA
Rookie

SteveA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Warner
So, you are telling me I can not legally access the offical A1GP website from anywhere in the UK through my US based portal and watch a race via live streaming?
Correct!

Quote:
Give me a break! SKY has purchased the "Broadcast" rights. That means no one else in the UK can broadcast the races, no?
Yes.

Quote:
It does not mean an individual can not watch whatever he can receive.

Oh yes it does

Quote:
What's next? making it illegal to listen to a radio broadcast that you happen to hear in the street?
It is!

Quote:

Has 1984 finally arrived in Britain? Are we to have the "Internet Police" spying to see who is watching what?

If SKY wants to stop the reception then they can somehow control the live streaming available through UK portals, but their influence has to stop there. What about a gent on the south coast who can pick up a French broadcast over standard telly aerials? Is he contravening the law?
yes!

Quote:

Of course they can install antennae shielding to limit the signal propagation across the channel, just as the mobile phone companies do between Canada and the US.

I agree that people should get their hands out of their pockets, but don't tell me that I can not watch something I can legally receive over the net.
But it may not be legal if the Internet "broadcaster" doesn't own the rights to broadcast in your country.

Quote:

If you want to pay for internet access through a portal that allows A1GP live streaming then good on ya.
Some portals are streaming it illegally, or are not taking reasonable steps to stop it being received outside the contractual area.

Check out the UK Communications Act 2003. You can't legally receive anything you like. For example you are breaking the law if you use a scanner at a race meeting to listen to team transmissions.