Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 28 Feb 2012, 08:40 (Ref:3032301)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Another motor racing supporter bites the dust...

Interesting reading in the press todayHere that WOW Sight & Sound has joined the list of retail businesses to be unable to continue trading.

WOW were a high profile name too, taking sponsorships in motorsport, and in the NRL...

A sign of the times...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 28 Feb 2012, 09:31 (Ref:3032328)   #2
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The mighty Aussie dollar
Old 28 Feb 2012, 11:29 (Ref:3032370)   #3
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sad to hear, that 2008 WOW Commie looked brilliant.
Old 28 Feb 2012, 12:21 (Ref:3032389)   #4
Forda
Veteran

Forda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Their demise seems to have been primarily brought about through their exposure to the related entity for which developed property, including their own retail sites, and which previously went into liquidation.

A 7.7% dip in sales alone would not necessarily cause a viable operation to tank.
Old 28 Feb 2012, 15:16 (Ref:3032471)   #5
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Trev View Post
The mighty Aussie dollar
I've been talking to some people in Australia lately about the business climate. Other than the mining sector, in their opinion a lot of retail and service industries are headed for recessionary times.

I'm definitely waiting for the Aus $ to drop down again.
Old 28 Feb 2012, 20:21 (Ref:3032609)   #6
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Would make an interesting list that one...
Westpoint
ICS Smartcard
Firepower
WOW
Ozemail
WPS
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 28 Feb 2012, 20:41 (Ref:3032622)   #7
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Reported this morning that DJR sponsor Reed Group are teetering on the brink.
Old 28 Feb 2012, 22:15 (Ref:3032666)   #8
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Punter View Post
Would make an interesting list that one...
Westpoint
ICS Smartcard
Firepower
WOW
Ozemail
WPS
Clive Peeters, you could say twice
Old 29 Feb 2012, 00:36 (Ref:3032758)   #9
Trev Campbell
Veteran

Trev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTrev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Opus Prime
Old 29 Feb 2012, 01:29 (Ref:3032771)   #10
woodduck97
Rookie

woodduck97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev Campbell View Post
Opus Prime
+ Glenfords.....
Old 29 Feb 2012, 02:27 (Ref:3032783)   #11
paydirt
Racer

paydirt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
+ IntaBill
Old 29 Feb 2012, 03:12 (Ref:3032798)   #12
Trev Campbell
Veteran

Trev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTrev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Should we include First Rock Home Loans and V8 Telecom ?????
Old 29 Feb 2012, 03:24 (Ref:3032800)   #13
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Add some of the old Team Dynamik sponsors. Roadships and Holy Grail

FAI (even sponsored the 1000)
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 29 Feb 2012, 07:11 (Ref:3032843)   #14
Forda
Veteran

Forda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Betta Electrical
Big Kev
Old 29 Feb 2012, 07:47 (Ref:3032854)   #15
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
is there a reason we feel the need to name companies who were poorly managed
Old 29 Feb 2012, 11:01 (Ref:3032937)   #16
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Question for me peck is this.

Do some of these companies see sponsorship of V8 racing as a "last resort" to right their sinking ships?
Do they therefore expect a miraculous turnaround to flow on from that sponsorship?

Are they, as you suggest, merely poorly managed groups that make dud decisions? By inference their V8 sponsorship was another dud decision...

Are they successfiul companies in the early stages who throw money around left right and centre and break themselves?

Or are they simply fraudsters, hoping race fans are gullible lemmings?
Old 29 Feb 2012, 11:37 (Ref:3032957)   #17
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
i think its possible that all of what you mentioned are correct in different examples, although probably not too much of the first one.

I think you need to add ego to this also (which i include under poor management).

I dont think you can say that v8 sponsorship is always a dud decision, but in some cases im sure it is

i think we also find that many of these companies have stopped sponsoring v8s when they go under (but not always)

Last edited by peckstar; 29 Feb 2012 at 11:42.
Old 29 Feb 2012, 19:30 (Ref:3033182)   #18
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
i think we also find that many of these companies have stopped sponsoring v8s when they go under (but not always)
Master of stating the obvious
Old 29 Feb 2012, 20:08 (Ref:3033217)   #19
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Trev View Post
Master of stating the obvious
guess that didnt come out the way i was thinking it

i think we also find that many of these companies have stopped sponsoring v8s a year or so before they go under (but not always)
Old 1 Mar 2012, 05:20 (Ref:3033391)   #20
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A lot of the company names mentioned in that list could also be added to the 'investigated by ACCC or other regulatory body for dodgy business ethics' list.
Old 1 Mar 2012, 09:30 (Ref:3033457)   #21
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Its certainly a sad list, Firepower for me takes the cake.

But how is Triple 8's form, Betta goes bust, and they come out next race and win Bathurst, and then go on to the Vodafone sponsorship. But of a fairy tale really.

Sadly I think the DJR's, Tasmans and Larkhams of the world found it hard enough to get sponsorship that they would take anybody's money, and didn't do their due diligence that a professional outfit SHOULD do on a potential sponsor.
Old 1 Mar 2012, 11:52 (Ref:3033519)   #22
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Punter View Post
Question for me peck is this.

Do some of these companies see sponsorship of V8 racing as a "last resort" to right their sinking ships?
Do they therefore expect a miraculous turnaround to flow on from that sponsorship?

Are they, as you suggest, merely poorly managed groups that make dud decisions? By inference their V8 sponsorship was another dud decision...

Are they successfiul companies in the early stages who throw money around left right and centre and break themselves?

Or are they simply fraudsters, hoping race fans are gullible lemmings?
In some businesses, advertising and promotions are a drug.. an addictive one..

.. one where the execution of a strategy for price, or promotion, or advertising or similar sees an incremental bump in sales on a short term basis immediately after the placement...

In a different life, I was part of a team that brought a number of new consumer products to market. A brand new product, untried by the general public, a genuine risk for consumers in that its not a small spend... saw the need to crank up sales in a hurry.

The levers are simple, advertise, promote with something free, knock around the price..

Or all of the above

So you do one of these deals, and sales kick up a bit. Say 40% in a good week. Awesome. But you are under pressure now. The sales in the week after the deal fall to near or slightly below previous levels, because you have firstly 'bought' sales with a low price (that smashes your own profitability) but you have also dragged forward consumer demand because when its cheap, it gets bought.

Presuming they trust your product to buy it..

So you do another deal. And get another lift. Then another. And another.

Everything looks great. Sales are popping, volume is going out the door. Margins are under pressure, but they always are.

Roll forward a few short months, and the investment in advertising, promotions and the like has been ingrained into the consumer's mind. They will only buy your product when you are 'giving it away' on special, or advertise heavily because they get used to your trade strategy.

It is a drug, because you are in a spiral now.. having to maintain sales on a product, which is fuelled by promotions and advertising spend.

Someday, time is called. Usually by a retailer who doesnt really like selling stuff on promotion every second week, as it damages the category as a whole... the other players in the category get poopy with the retailer because they bring genuine technical innovation to the category, only to get smashed by the unknown upstart, willing to sell $1 for 99c... or less...

But time does get called. When the financials just dont work any more. Not normally because the bank is at the door.. very few rational businesses stake their entire fortune on one 'big idea' and expect to survive the journey.

So with the likes of some of the genuine companies that sold real products and services in the list before... they used their affiliation with the sport to promote their products.. and when they got a little recognition... they spent a little more.. and more... and more..

Betta had 888, but it also took on the Sandown 500 for example. Wanting to increase the message spread. On the basis of 'if I spent $100 to get this level of sales, if I spend $200 on a similar risk weighted investment, then I will double those sales.

Until the theory of diminishing returns kicks in.. and it all goes pop!

Ego lives here too.. some people who supply Coles or Woolworths have an innate belief that their brand is so strong that they will be there forever.. Coke found out recently that to annoy one of these two is for their own peril... loss of sales, promotion of competitors to the detriment to your own product... while it never seemed to occur to the guys at GMC that Bunnings might just be capable to replicating their import a GMC-stickered electrical tool and slapping another name on instead... or the rocker surgeons at Bonds who never thought Kmart would de-list their underwear brands...

Business is a risk... you sometimes win, you sometimes dont.

But if a business relies 100% on a motor sporting activity to raise profile, and increase sales... without the sound fundamentals keeping the lights on today, and evolving for a new tomorrow... then there is a good chance the next POP! you hear is the knock on the door from Korda Mentha or their friends...

“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 2 Mar 2012, 02:22 (Ref:3033847)   #23
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
To remeber all the fallen company ventures:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY0WxgSXdEE&ob=av3n
Old 2 Mar 2012, 05:24 (Ref:3033869)   #24
aussiemuscle308
Rookie

aussiemuscle308 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Sadly I think the DJR's, Tasmans and Larkhams of the world found it hard enough to get sponsorship that they would take anybody's money, and didn't do their due diligence that a professional outfit SHOULD do on a potential sponsor.
reminds me of Days of Thunder "They gave us just enough money to paint the car!"
Old 2 Mar 2012, 08:09 (Ref:3033903)   #25
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post

Ego lives here too.. some people who supply Coles or Woolworths have an innate belief that their brand is so strong that they will be there forever.. Coke found out recently that to annoy one of these two is for their own peril... loss of sales, promotion of competitors to the detriment to your own product...

Although Coles and Woolies got a rude shock when CUB got wind that they were about to start a price war with one of their brands and sell slabs of beer below wholesale price. CUB stopped supply until Coles and Woolies agreed to stop. All over and business as usual within 24-48 hours.