Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 7 Jul 2008, 02:27 (Ref:2245936)   #1
speedracer66
Rookie

Australia
Aussie
speedracer66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does any one know of the Ford EB Falcon SS?

Hi,
does anyome know of the history of the Australian Ford EB Falcon SS that raced in the Australian GTP in the early 1990's?
As far as I know there was only ever 10 made and racing driver Mal Rose may of raced one. Also somewere it was said that it had the 4L six with a T5 5 speed with ABS.

Most of my mates think its crazy that Ford would bring out a Falcon SS.

Cheers
Old 7 Jul 2008, 02:51 (Ref:2245940)   #2
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In the early 1990s the APCC was for naturally apsirated cars of no more than 6 cylinders. Holden release a limited edition V6 version of it's SS Commodore and Ford released an uprated version of the Falcon S and called it the Falcon SS. I can't remember what the mods were, but it was all stuff to make the car more suitable for production racing.

Both models were built in numbers just big enough to qualify and they were'not markted eiather. Ford & Holden wanted to win the APCC to promote their bread & butter models, not the homologation specials.
Old 7 Jul 2008, 11:28 (Ref:2246232)   #3
speedracer66
Rookie

Australia
Aussie
Thanks for your reply,
very interesting bit of history, I guess that few would know.
I wonder how many of there cars are still around? I have never seen one.
Are these the rarest ford falcons?

cheers
Old 7 Jul 2008, 11:42 (Ref:2246246)   #4
speedracer66
Rookie

Australia
Aussie
Hi

Here is a link explaining a little more about the EB falcon SS

http://www.whiteline.com.au/articles..._V2-3_EB_1.htm

cheers
Old 10 Jul 2008, 01:03 (Ref:2248350)   #5
david5
Racer

Australia
Coonabarabran NSW
david5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Kent Youlden & Mr Douglas had them as well. I recall Brett Youlden having two Falcon prod cars in his back yard at one stage. Adding bonnet pins to the newer one. IIRC the brothers ran one each at Sandown that year,Brett going off at the first corner & Kent getting served up my Peter Fitzgerald at the last corner of the race, from the lead.

The two brothers drove the EB SS at the Winton 300. A fuel leak let fumes into the cabin in the opening laps & overcame Kent. They lost several laps, but had the fastest car on the day, unlapping themselves twice, to finish well up.

This race was a big deal at the time & several of the 5 litre brigade were driving.

Cheers David
Old 10 Jul 2008, 06:04 (Ref:2248396)   #6
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Most of what I know about these has already been covered, but I remember reading at the time an article about them being "homologation specials" where a bit of legwork was done to see whether it was possible to actually buy one - as opposed to being offered one I suppose - and while dealers knew nothing about them, they did exist as option codes or similar on the ordering systems, with prices that meant you would not buy one unless you wanted to go racing.

It would be interesting to see if any are still around. Also I wonder how many V6 SS Commodores were built?
Old 11 Jul 2008, 15:13 (Ref:2249239)   #7
speedracer66
Rookie

Australia
Aussie
I remember reading somewhere about the Chysler Valiants, how one could order almost any combination of options to suit.I also read somewere that knowing this someone had ordered a VH Valiant ute with the Charger Bathurst E49 engine option !
My Dad told me that when he was working for a Chysler dealership in Sydney many years ago, he would see very different and rare optioned brand new VE Valiant Pacers arrive that were obvious for bathurst that someone in the know had ordered.
Dad said that he remembers the huge sway bars, big fuel tanks and the big 4BBl carbs.
I guess knowing what you want and having the right conections with the factory you could order almost anything you want.

Here is a link that I found for a VP Commodore SS with a V6, note the replys from people who dont think there has ever been a V6 SS.
Apparently the SS and the IRS. I also wonder how many where made.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/338151

Cheers