Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 10 Sep 2011, 06:57 (Ref:2953405)   #126
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Arthur and I have dones some Slot car Cortina testing, the FiA APp K Revell and Scalextric cars are nailed down on all 4 corners. the original Gp2 Airfix model does indeed lift an inside wheel.

I think Mr Hall needs to be looking very carefully at the underside of a few cars for these new fandangled 'magnets'
Old 10 Sep 2011, 07:05 (Ref:2953407)   #127
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Old 10 Sep 2011, 14:57 (Ref:2953524)   #128
Jeremy Hall
Racer

Jeremy Hall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Not many posters.Sign of times or is because Historic Racing is a bit of a joke.This thread is about 700 posts short or just Terry stopped posting.

There was one exceedingly doggy GT 40 in last years 6 hrs.Bloke probably printed the papers himself.It got in Eau Rouge but was entered in actual race by owner.Think its on the list again this year.Joke.I saw tub being built five years ago!
Not UK gang so don't get all bent out of shape.

On same tack I have a question about Lotus Cortinas?

Many years ago I used to watch that decent driver Jim Clark race one of these things and they used to lift one or even two wheels.I watched the race at Silverstone Festival and noted all wheels on ground so are they Lotus Cortinas or do todays cars just look like a Chapman special.Probably helps with those computers doing all the engineering in pits.Could it be the over 50's driving them today are superior to Jim Clark and the drivers of yesterday.Yer!

You wonder why people are less interested.Best of luck Mr Hall.

A re-enactment of History or do people want all this development bull****.

Back to same old stuff.
Thanks for the thought John. We shall send to Eau Rouge as many crooks as we turn up no doubt but the dodges get more cunning year on year.
Still my final year this year, time you had a real scrutineer in charge.
Old 10 Sep 2011, 15:01 (Ref:2953525)   #129
Jeremy Hall
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Devereux View Post
No, no, rain for 6 hours please!
But not during scrutineering please,I have to lie under the cars to see what the tricky blighters are up to and it does get rather moist-mark you not as moist as some of the cheats when I draw their attention to the error of their ways and the car owners explain to said preparers why they are out of a job.
Old 10 Sep 2011, 16:03 (Ref:2953538)   #130
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Hall View Post
But not during scrutineering please,I have to lie under the cars to see what the tricky blighters are up to and it does get rather moist-mark you not as moist as some of the cheats when I draw their attention to the error of their ways and the car owners explain to said preparers why they are out of a job.
because they broke the 13th commandment - thou shall not get caught.... on the subject of clampdowns are Mustangs about to get reined in? There seems an awful lot of them for sale all of a sudden....
Old 10 Sep 2011, 16:18 (Ref:2953543)   #131
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
It's usually the prep people along with owners.Don't blame it all on the workers.
Old 11 Sep 2011, 06:38 (Ref:2953727)   #132
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Hall View Post
Thanks for the thought John. We shall send to Eau Rouge as many crooks as we turn up no doubt but the dodges get more cunning year on year.
Still my final year this year, time you had a real scrutineer in charge.

Is there one? I doubt it Jeremy.
John,thanks for the thought, just lost interest in it,too many hooky cars for a straight fight. Will be there from the Monday afterwards though,just for a few days! HeHe.
Anyway-back to the grind.
Old 17 Sep 2011, 08:34 (Ref:2956770)   #133
Malcolm Smith
Veteran

Malcolm Smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be spectating at Spa - my first visit.
I'm travelling with Tommy Gilmartin, Ford Capri, and look forward to meeting 10ths members.

I'd appreciate any advice on photo locations - I have a bridge camera, so I would need to be as close to the track as possible.
Old 17 Sep 2011, 08:43 (Ref:2956774)   #134
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hi Malcolm. We will be in the Uniroyal pit number 21. Come and say hello. I guess for you the best locations will be in the pitlane.
Old 17 Sep 2011, 08:50 (Ref:2956776)   #135
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
The best place for photos used to be by the wall at La Source but it's difficult getting right to the corner now due to the pit Gestapo stopping you. Further past La Source and before the old pit entrance is good providing you can see over the catch fencing, it's about head height so not too bad if you are not a midget. Another good place is between Les Combes and Bruxelles. We'll be in the Shopping Centre car paddock.
Old 17 Sep 2011, 10:42 (Ref:2956804)   #136
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Smith View Post
I'll be spectating at Spa - my first visit.
I'm travelling with Tommy Gilmartin, Ford Capri, and look forward to meeting 10ths members.

I'd appreciate any advice on photo locations - I have a bridge camera, so I would need to be as close to the track as possible.
Malcolm,

Is this a bridge camera with a longish zoom lens?

Your main challenge may well be the focus response if you want close up action shots.

For general stuff try the grandstand opposite the new pits, the roof of the new pits complex lookig down on the pit lane and primary paddock areas.

There are some photography holes in the fencing on the outside of the track at the 'bus stop' esses. Not too bad for distance. Likewise if you take a wander (it's a fair way though - take survival gear) up towards Pouhon (Double Gauche on the offical maps) and continue up the hill to the un-named left hander after Bruxelles. You should find some photography holes in the fencing up there as well.

The area around Raidillon has a few holes too but you are some way from the track unless panning at speed and that might be tricky with a bridge camera - depends on what it is. However you can get some scenic shots of the old start/finish straight across the valley.

Some of the slopes are quite steep. Allow extra time to cover the distances unless you very fit. Spa makes Silverstone look compact. On the other hand it is far more scenic.

The La Source wall is indeed very popular. Media accreditation required these days for the most part. It tends to get busy and of course 'the shot' is well documented. It might be tricky to get a good version with a bridge camera - not sure, Again the particular camera would dictate the options.
Old 17 Sep 2011, 17:00 (Ref:2956924)   #137
Crazy Craig
Rookie

England
Upshire, Essex
Crazy Craig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spa 6 Hour…I have a Hotel room available from 21st 4 nights Hostellerie Le Roannay
Old 17 Sep 2011, 19:48 (Ref:2956994)   #138
Malcolm Smith
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Hi Malcolm. We will be in the Uniroyal pit number 21. Come and say hello. I guess for you the best locations will be in the pitlane.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
The best place for photos used to be by the wall at La Source but it's difficult getting right to the corner now due to the pit Gestapo stopping you. Further past La Source and before the old pit entrance is good providing you can see over the catch fencing, it's about head height so not too bad if you are not a midget. Another good place is between Les Combes and Bruxelles. We'll be in the Shopping Centre car paddock.

Thanks, next weekend can't come soon enough !
Old 17 Sep 2011, 19:56 (Ref:2956999)   #139
Malcolm Smith
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Malcolm,

Is this a bridge camera with a longish zoom lens?

Your main challenge may well be the focus response if you want close up action shots.

For general stuff try the grandstand opposite the new pits, the roof of the new pits complex lookig down on the pit lane and primary paddock areas.

There are some photography holes in the fencing on the outside of the track at the 'bus stop' esses. Not too bad for distance. Likewise if you take a wander (it's a fair way though - take survival gear) up towards Pouhon (Double Gauche on the offical maps) and continue up the hill to the un-named left hander after Bruxelles. You should find some photography holes in the fencing up there as well.

The area around Raidillon has a few holes too but you are some way from the track unless panning at speed and that might be tricky with a bridge camera - depends on what it is. However you can get some scenic shots of the old start/finish straight across the valley.

Some of the slopes are quite steep. Allow extra time to cover the distances unless you very fit. Spa makes Silverstone look compact. On the other hand it is far more scenic.

The La Source wall is indeed very popular. Media accreditation required these days for the most part. It tends to get busy and of course 'the shot' is well documented. It might be tricky to get a good version with a bridge camera - not sure, Again the particular camera would dictate the options.

Grant, your guide to the circuit is much appreciated. My camera has an 18X Optical Zoom - hopefully I can take a few reasonable shots from the locations
you mention & there will be opportunities in the pit lane.
I'll venture to the furthest points of the cicuit if the weather is reasonable...
Old 17 Sep 2011, 22:41 (Ref:2957177)   #140
Jeremy Hall
Racer

Quote:
Grant, your guide to the circuit is much appreciated. My camera has an 18X Optical Zoom - hopefully I can take a few reasonable shots from the locations
I'll venture to the furthest points of the cicuit if the weather is reasonable...
Talking of which the forecast is for fine , sunny days- just like in the scrutineering bay !!
Old 18 Sep 2011, 00:10 (Ref:2957272)   #141
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Malcolm,

In case you haven't seen it here is a link to a useful map.

Great opportunities in the Pits (both old and new) especially during qualifying and racing for the 6 hours.

Bear in mind that the track runs around a valley with significant changes of elevation. Some are greater than you might imagine from watching the telly! The path from the tunnel under the track at Eau Rouge up to the Kemmel Straight is VERY steep. Not something to be attempted if you are in a hurry to get to an elected viewing point.

The Paddock>Double Gauche>Les Combes>Kemmel>Raidillon>Paddock tour is worth doing. Either direction but see above.

There is an interesting opportunity to stand close to the edge of the track but behins a fience between Paul Frere and Blanchimont. It's a fast section and quite impressive BUT not really a spectator spot as you have to use a narrow path alongside the Kart track and it's a dead end only accessible from the Blanchimont Entrance side. (Unless you are prepared to climb tall fences).

The section from Double Gauche around to Paul Frere is not especially attractive (lots of fences, often doubled) or accessible. If doing a 'full circuit I would be tempted not to bother with that part again or at least cut back to the tunnel under the track near Blanchimont once you reach Fagnes. Maybe skip Fagnes anyway and go straight to the tunnel from Double Gauche (Pouhon). The paths are slightly indirect but still shorter than going to Fagnes I think.

Take something for wet weather. The forecast looks OK apparently but even so it is probably wise to have some sort of rain proof covering 'cos Spa can be very wet when it is wet even if the shower is brief.

If you have the opportunity you can also drive (or cycle or walk but it is several kilometers) the parts of the old circuit that are now only used as public roads. delta kindly provided me with a guided tour last year. It has not changed much and many sections are identifiable when comparing to old photos and YouTube videos. Quite how people managed the speeds they did and sometimes survived is difficult to comprehend.

If you go to www.scene-from-above.com and then, from the menu on the left, head for 'Direct Access Galleries' there are 2 selections from last year's event, Friday and Saturday. (Note to self - must get around to doing Sunday ...)

Click on the thumbnails to see larger versions of the images.

Finally, when the 6 hours is on be sure to visit the petrol station for a few minutes of entertainment as the cars re-fuel.
Old 18 Sep 2011, 17:13 (Ref:2957669)   #142
Dinkel
Racer

Netherlands
Leusden
Dinkel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Wide angle on La Source:

Love it there, especially because it's a 5 mins trip to the paddocks.

My kit is a vintage - 2005 - Olympus E300, this year with a macro lens and a tripot. See you guys there.
Old 19 Sep 2011, 07:51 (Ref:2957894)   #143
Jeremy Hall
Racer

Weather forecast.

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/Wea...ation=BEXX0031
Old 19 Sep 2011, 08:12 (Ref:2957903)   #144
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
It'll be a wet weekend then.

Checked in for tonight's flight. 10:30am ferry from Dover on Wednesday. Should be at the circuit around four pm Wednesday afternoon.
Old 19 Sep 2011, 13:38 (Ref:2958048)   #145
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll guess I'll be seeing most of you gents this weekend. Just walking around this year doing nothing, so no waving of tea mugs trackside.
Old 19 Sep 2011, 14:23 (Ref:2958063)   #146
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I am thinking of going to watch/spanner/help/drink, not sure yet.
Old 19 Sep 2011, 16:59 (Ref:2958130)   #147
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm going to be in Calais for the afternoon Saturday it's going to be s-o-o hard not to point the ZS's nose down to Spa, but I've got a work commitment Sunday

Have a good time everyone, perhaps NEXT year I'll be there!
Old 19 Sep 2011, 17:16 (Ref:2958135)   #148
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Eddie and Al, be sure to look for us if you do come over.
Old 19 Sep 2011, 18:40 (Ref:2958180)   #149
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I'll know tomorrow evening.
Old 19 Sep 2011, 19:38 (Ref:2958199)   #150
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm in Barrys race in my XJS with Mike, so looking forward to a relaxed weekend this year as not doing the main event for the first time for ages.

How will you know if you're coming tomorrow night, Al