Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 28 Jan 2024, 17:57 (Ref:4193950)   #51
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
That's the same question!
That was my point!
Quote:
This is why competitions like Formula One are so much better! The same minimum weight for everybody. The same fuel flow and fuel weight for all the power unit manufacturers too.
Cool. Choice.
Quote:
The Acura is 1:10 off the lead, it was 1:00 back 10 laps ago, it is going backwards at a great rate of knots... That's not ridiculously close in BOP racing terms -- we expect to see cars nose to tail for the whole race, a la GTE at Le Mans, if the BOP is set correctly.
You shouldn’t expect the racing to be nose to tail for the whole race. They are long races and the natural variations in driver, tire management, set-up, conditions, fuel load, are the same order of magnitude as what we see. All the things so important in endurance racing that makes the sport what it is.

And there is the point that this isn’t trying to match lap times, just potential. You are describing that you want something more akin to success ballast type leveling of the playing field. Yet you also point out the ability to do a better job. The logic is all a bit mixed up.

LMP2 are all the same cars and yet the spread in lap times is as great.
Old 28 Jan 2024, 18:55 (Ref:4194038)   #52
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wayne Taylor:
Quote:
We knew we had no chance.
Politics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
You are describing that you want something more akin to success ballast type leveling of the playing field.
Exactly the opposite. The Acura was quick early on in 2023 and then ballasted so heavily that it was not particularly competitive anymore. The car's laptimes were slower than it was last year at the Daytona 24 hour.

There is a claim that Wayne Taylor is just politicking and if Wayne Taylor Racing had done a better job they could have won the race, but it's suspect. How are you supposed to win the race with the heaviest car?

BOP is so hard to decipher. Is the potential really the same and it is purely on poor setup and poor driving that the car was 0.4s-0.6s/lap slower on average? 20kg of ballast is more than enough to manipulate lap times by 0.4s/lap one way or the other.

Perhaps Deletraz is not the best driver, but the way the Acura fell back so quickly 10s in 25 minutes of running is concerning.

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 28 Jan 2024 at 19:01.
Old 28 Jan 2024, 18:56 (Ref:4194039)   #53
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
No. Wayne (and Mr Risi) are the same - if they don't win then they tell everyone they could never have won no matter what. Wayne even forgot he had a second car in the race after the 10 ran into issues.

Wayne is just Wayne.
Old 28 Jan 2024, 19:01 (Ref:4194044)   #54
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
No. Wayne (and Mr Risi) are the same - if they don't win then they tell everyone they could never have won no matter what. Wayne even forgot he had a second car in the race after the 10 ran into issues.
The Acura never seemed fast at this race meeting. What was needed to have a quick car on the current BOP? Better drivers? Better setup?

Unfortunately it's easy to point the finger at 20kg or 40kg difference in minimum weight when there is a direct correlation between weight and lap time -- hence why competition categories like Formula One have a fixed minimum weight, as did LMP675 and LMP900 if I recall correctly (675kg and 900kg was precisely the minimum weight?).

Quote:
The logic is all a bit mixed up.
Not at all. The WTR Acura came second last year with a 20kg lighter car and was fast -- it was quick, it was attacking. Now it has 20kg more on it, more than the competition, and is slower. Basically it was always falling behind in every single stint, especially if the Cadillac and Porsche were pushing.

Weight directly affects the performance of a racing car. The 0.6s/lap deficit would almost certainly be less with less penalty weight.

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 28 Jan 2024 at 19:07.
Old 28 Jan 2024, 19:07 (Ref:4194047)   #55
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Shank has won with the Acura much more than Wayne has - with or without the tyre pressure messing up. I’d say WTR struggle more with the Acura than others did and more than they did with the Caddy.

Bop doesn’t balance teams.
Old 28 Jan 2024, 19:08 (Ref:4194048)   #56
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
You're right, it is easy to do that. You could point to the additional power, or higher energy allocation. Or that Porsche also managed to win the race despite the second highest weight.

You could also point to how the BoP works and how the ranges in lap time fall within a very small margin and there are other factors that are as, or more important. All that is not so easy though.
Old 28 Jan 2024, 19:10 (Ref:4194050)   #57
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Quote:
Shank has won with the Acura much more than Wayne has - with or without the tyre pressure messing up. I’d say WTR struggle more with the Acura than others did and more than they did with the Caddy.
Certainly! Shank seems to be the more competitive team.

HRC will be very disappointed that they did not look to be in a position to win the Daytona 24 hour at any point. Of course the technical problem with the #10 car is unacceptable and they will look to identify and eliminate that problem.

Quote:
You could also point to how the BoP works and how the ranges in lap time fall within a very small margin and there are other factors that are as, or more important. All that is not so easy though.
Exactly! No wonder sportscar racing is immensely frustrating compared to say World Rally Championship, where you have a tight set of rules and a great competition.

Not so much GT3, BoP is necessary there, but it should not be necessary for prototypes that already are homologated with similar power and similar downforce and drag.

By your estimation, what could MSR and/or HRC have done to have a faster car in the 2024 Rolex 24 Hours?
Old 28 Jan 2024, 19:14 (Ref:4194053)   #58
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:

Bop doesn’t balance teams.
I haven't looked in detail at the range, but the fastest lap for WTR was 0.3s slower than Shank last year at Daytona. For instance. With the same car.
Old 28 Jan 2024, 19:15 (Ref:4194054)   #59
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
By your estimation, what could MSR and/or HRC have done to have a faster car in the 2024 Rolex 24 Hours?
I don't know! Although that is irrelevant. It's clear we aren't discussing we are just trying to win the internet. I will bow out. It is yours.

I can see that the competition is really tight and the variation in performance is low. My point is that I can see the uncertainty, yet you are certain. As by the rules of the internet certainty wins.
Old 28 Jan 2024, 19:17 (Ref:4194055)   #60
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Quote:
I haven't looked in detail at the range, but the fastest lap for WTR was 0.3s slower than Shank last year at Daytona. For instance. With the same car.
For the same car with -20kg minimum weight. What is +20kg worth per lap of Daytona Road Circuit for an LMDh class car?

Quote:
My point is that I can see the uncertainty, yet you are certain.
I am not certain on anything. I'm just saying that f=ma and weight directly affects lap time, that's a fact. Adding more weight to a racing car makes it slower.

Allowing some cars to be lighter than others should be less necessary in prototype racing, since they are fundamentally similar prototypes, which under the two LMH and LMDh rulesets have aero kits homologated to a very small variance of drag and downforce (so aero performance is not a significant competition factor any more either), and they are not based on wildly different road cars unlike the GT3 class.

The problem with balance-of-performance is that is unclear if Honda Racing Corporation not being able to repeat their victory is their own fault or not. That they built a car with a nice, compact efficient engine is great but means little now. This is not good for sport.

This is very different to the pure competition in MotoGP, where it is clear as day that the RC213V's lack of competitiveness is 100% Honda Racing Corporation's fault.

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 28 Jan 2024 at 19:24.
Old 28 Jan 2024, 19:20 (Ref:4194056)   #61
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Seems to me that WTR finished where you’d expect WTR to finish given their track record with that car. The 10 had issues and the 40 still beat a bunch of Porsches despite being the weaker car.

There’s no story here. Wayne is just being Wayne. If Risi hadn’t won we’d get an identical statement from them. But because he was leading he said the bop was great this year.
Old 28 Jan 2024, 19:21 (Ref:4194057)   #62
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
What is +20kg worth per lap of Daytona Road Circuit?
A few 10ths probably! But I see why we have a problem here - this is irrelevant! As is the exact impact of the power advantage they have.

Quote:
I am not certain on anything. I'm just saying that f=ma and weight directly affects lap time, that's a fact. Adding more weight to a racing car makes it slower.
I am fully aware of the mechanics behind it. Physics hasn't past me by! It just you've missed the point of how it works.

Quote:
Allowing some cars to be lighter than others should be less necessary in prototype racing, since they are fundamentally similar prototypes, which under the two LMH and LMDh rulesets have aero kits homologated to a very small variance of drag and downforce (so aero performance is not a significant competition factor any more either), and they are not based on wildly different road cars unlike the GT3 class.
They are all build within a range. There are small differences, so you need small adjustments.

These small adjustments are to compensate for the small imperfections in the earlier homologation process. It'll never be perfect, but it also is very good and close.

Blast, I have double lost the internet as I said I would bow out and didn't!
Old 28 Jan 2024, 19:27 (Ref:4194058)   #63
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Quote:
A few 10ths probably! But I see why we have a problem here - this is irrelevant!
How is it irrelevant?

Races are won and lost on fine margins.

Quote:
These small adjustments are to compensate for the small imperfections in the earlier homologation process. It'll never be perfect, but it also is very good and close.
We'll have to disagree on balance-of-performance being "very good"!

IMO classes without BoP are much better. I would have suggested LMP racing in both WEC and IMSA take on LMP2 rules, just with multiple 4.0 V8 engines and multiple chassis (Ferrari, Toyota etc). So any privateer can buy the homologated works engines and works chassis for a low fixed price. By folding the two classes together, you could have a single LMP class too.

If that means 40x Ferrari-Ferrari instead of 25x Oreca-Gibson, that is totally fine... It would still deliver an incredible race IMO.

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 28 Jan 2024 at 19:33.
Old 28 Jan 2024, 19:29 (Ref:4194059)   #64
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
How is it irrelevant?

Obviously you can't get away from physics. I thought I might need to change it because you wouldn't consider it in the whole of what I said.

But it is irrelevant to consider it is only down to this. I explained how it fits in the whole lower down. The bit you didn't quote.
Old 28 Jan 2024, 19:36 (Ref:4194060)   #65
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
IMO classes without BoP are much better.
I get this, but that's a different thing. What are we arguing now?

In an ideal world you would have that, but we don't have that and the race organisers have chosen a different pragmatic route to still maintain the important things that make endurance racing what it is - variety.

You seem to be arguing that this is only a success if it is perfect and nose to tail for 24 hours. And then that we shouldn't have it at all.

Quote:
I would have suggested LMP racing in both WEC and IMSA take on LMP2 rules, just with multiple 4.0 V8 engines and multiple chassis (Ferrari, Toyota etc). So any privateer can buy the homologated works engines and works chassis for a low fixed price. By folding the two classes together, you could have a single LMP class too.

If that means 40x Ferrari-Ferrari instead of 25x Oreca-Gibson, that is totally fine... It would still deliver an incredible race IMO.
They've decide to avoid this end conclusion. Fine. There are other areas of the sport you can see that. So we're groovy.
Old 28 Jan 2024, 20:44 (Ref:4194071)   #66
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
How is it irrelevant?

We'll have to disagree on balance-of-performance being "very good"!

IMO classes without BoP are much better. I would have suggested LMP racing in both WEC and IMSA take on LMP2 rules, just with multiple 4.0 V8 engines and multiple chassis (Ferrari, Toyota etc). So any privateer can buy the homologated works engines and works chassis for a low fixed price. By folding the two classes together, you could have a single LMP class too.

You don't pay attention at all to what you write do you?

You're LITERALLY describing GTP and how it works to say that's better. And no, a field of exactly the same cars draws no fans. I don't see any one along the fences for Carrera Cup or Super Trofeo. They're, for the most part, identical cars. Options are basically year and whether you upgrade or not, otherwise plenty of cars but people actively leave the fences for the races at Petit. Ok, there is one, MX-5 does draw people over but that's as much contact and positional fighting I would argue than draw to the spec of the series
Old 29 Jan 2024, 09:02 (Ref:4194112)   #67
PhilipR
Racer

Romania
London
PhilipR should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPhilipR should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPhilipR should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think BOP was ok this time. All seem to have been in the ballpark in GTP and GT

Cadillac seemed to have had a small advantage in warmer conditions but this is not something that can be BOPed out. As for the Acura, it is hard to tell as even if they did not have the pace, the car that finished is the new car with new drivers and crew. Would have been interesting to see where the 10 would have been pace wise by the end if they did not retire.

GT seemed alright BOP wise again, it seemed like all had a spell at the front at certain times and there were no 2 seconds a lap slower cars like Porsche last year.
Old 29 Jan 2024, 17:24 (Ref:4194147)   #68
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
No wonder sportscar racing is immensely frustrating compared to say World Rally Championship, where you have a tight set of rules and a great competition.
Er, just 8 Rally1 cars at Monte Carlo last weekend...
Old 29 Jan 2024, 22:06 (Ref:4194182)   #69
flatlandsman
Racer

Ireland
Daventry
flatlandsman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For me it looked like Acura were a little off BOP wise, as were Porsche in GT, Ferrari clearly had a bit of an advantage as many of their cars were on the pace including ones that are usually not quick like CetilaR!

Lambo, Aston and Merc seemed a little off but not much, Corvette, BMW seemed very quick as did Ferrari. Lexus hard to judge as they know that thing so well they can judge pace probably betetr than any other team and car combo.

Ford hard to judge as new car and Acura, well again very quick but as usual very erratic
Old 29 Jan 2024, 23:01 (Ref:4194185)   #70
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
They were a little off pace wise, but were they a little off BoP wise? I can’t tell, partly because it is so close.

Or to try and get across what I mean if JDC were the only Porsche team at Daytona would you think that Porsche were a little off BoP wise?
Old 29 Jan 2024, 23:26 (Ref:4194189)   #71
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Er, just 8 Rally1 cars at Monte Carlo last weekend...
There were only 10 GTP cars in the Daytona 24 hours???

Quote:
You seem to be arguing that this is only a success if it is perfect and nose to tail for 24 hours. And then that we shouldn't have it at all.
Absolutely. BOP is terrible in prototype racing.
Old 29 Jan 2024, 23:37 (Ref:4194191)   #72
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yup, cause the non BoP series lasted how long again? Yeah, I'll sit back here and wait for reality to catch up with some of yall. Or, you could make your own series and get some tobacco companies on board or maybe sports gambling so you have unlimited funds to make sure they can spend and spend and spend.

The rest of us will enjoy the racing that modern racing environment allows, we like our face with its nose attached
Old 29 Jan 2024, 23:42 (Ref:4194192)   #73
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Absolutely. BOP is terrible in prototype racing.
Got it. You don’t like it.

In an ideal world I don’t think anyone wants it. However this is a solution for the real world.

What it does give you is some of the ideal. The ability to still benefit from a good solution., the ability to see all those things that makes you good at endurance racing. A lot of the technical challenge and sporting challenge that you see if you are into the sport.
What confused me is you then argued the solution needed to get rid of everything and have them all with the sale result. Thus removing all the things you want!
Old 30 Jan 2024, 13:51 (Ref:4194245)   #74
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
There were only 10 GTP cars in the Daytona 24 hours???
Yes, plus 19 at the FIA WEC.
Old 13 Mar 2024, 22:39 (Ref:4201179)   #75
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Things have kind of converged a bit.

Lambo in the middle in terms of weight, power and energy.

Latest IMSA GTP BoP:

Weight (Kg)
-- Bulletin ----- Track ---AcuraBMWCadillacLamborghiniPorsche
12/1/2023ROAR103010301030 1030
17/1/2023Daytona 24103010301030 1030
8/2/2023Sebrign Test103010301030 1030
13/3/2023Sebring Race105410401038 1048
31/3/2023Long Beach104510361031 1036
4/5/2023Laguna Seca104910311030 1038
4/6/2023Watkins Glen105310381037 1043
29/6/2023Canadian Tire Motorsports Park104610311030 1037
21/7/2023Indy Test104610311030 1037