Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Kart Racing

Old 22 Feb 2004, 23:49 (Ref:882279)   #1
Derkvonhuels
Rookie

Derkvonhuels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Starting a new team

After long abstinence form anything "GO FAST" I am contemplating setting up a 2 driver team with my son to compete in our European Superracekart series in Div 1 (2cyl jobs).
Having looked in during last season, and having spoken with several of the Gurus, I am still a bit at a loss of what engine to use..
Yamahas V engine seems to be making a lot of splash and is said to be quite sturdy in the gearbox.
Rotax are fast! but seem to be more fragile and spare parts can be difficult to come by.
This team will not be an unlimited $$$ affair, but I am not planning to start with other people's scrap, so everything will be brand new for the start.
On an Engine the most important considerations on my list are: Reasonable power, good and sturdy gearbox and availability of spare parts.
I would hate to pay absolutely outrageous prices charged by some of the Gurus here in Europe.
Your suggestions are welcome. :confused:
Old 23 Feb 2004, 22:44 (Ref:883348)   #2
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
speedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridspeedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Rotax engines tend to be very reliable and spare parts certainly here in Britain are very easy to come by. They are very fast too. I don't know much about the Yamahas but from speaking to people in the past they don't seem as reliable as Rotax's

Last edited by speedy king; 23 Feb 2004 at 22:45.
Old 24 Feb 2004, 10:12 (Ref:883765)   #3
Superliner II
Rookie

Superliner II should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its a shame that the Rotax 256 is not being made anymore because everyone who used and tuned one loved it. The Honda CR250 seems to be the flavour of the moment. I'd have one over the Yamahaha anyway.

Good luck with your new team.