Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 5 Feb 2021, 09:09 (Ref:4033562)   #651
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Apparently not sea fishing. I have to travel around 70 miles to the nearest coast.
Old 5 Feb 2021, 09:17 (Ref:4033565)   #652
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
It's the little things in life.
It certainly is, but in this instance, nothing to do with fresh fish, or other food stuffs either.

One of the big frustrations for me is trying to open plastic bags, which I am sure you are all familiar with. Due to my medical condition, I have to use small plastic bags many times a day, and much time is wasted attempting to part the sides of the bags.

This, to me, is doubly annoying because in 1985, I along with a couple of others, managed to create in my facility in Hong Kong small plastic bags that opened easily. It required a minor alteration in the machinery and the addition of a small amount of chemical to the polymer, both of which added absolutely minimal cost to the products. Unfortunately, retailers in the UK where unable to see the relevance of this improved article, and our initial production run eventually sold for not much more than scrap.

However, only yesterday I opened a package of small plastic bags that are provided to me courtesy of the NHS, well, that’s what is printed on the outside, and I immediately realised that they were utilising the technology that we had created so long ago. If only more providers would only follow suit because these bags are so easy to open.
Old 5 Feb 2021, 09:25 (Ref:4033567)   #653
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
HRSTR5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Iain,

You may be disappointed that your 'box isn't a King George .... but I reckon it's THE ONE that Frank Williams started his GP team from ... ! Or are there already 7 others with the same provenance...?!!
Old 5 Feb 2021, 10:35 (Ref:4033580)   #654
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Oh yes, Frank used to do his deals from a phone box and convince others that he was phoning from his office
Old 5 Feb 2021, 12:03 (Ref:4033585)   #655
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
It certainly is, but in this instance, nothing to do with fresh fish, or other food stuffs either.

One of the big frustrations for me is trying to open plastic bags, which I am sure you are all familiar with. Due to my medical condition, I have to use small plastic bags many times a day, and much time is wasted attempting to part the sides of the bags.

This, to me, is doubly annoying because in 1985, I along with a couple of others, managed to create in my facility in Hong Kong small plastic bags that opened easily. It required a minor alteration in the machinery and the addition of a small amount of chemical to the polymer, both of which added absolutely minimal cost to the products. Unfortunately, retailers in the UK where unable to see the relevance of this improved article, and our initial production run eventually sold for not much more than scrap.

However, only yesterday I opened a package of small plastic bags that are provided to me courtesy of the NHS, well, that’s what is printed on the outside, and I immediately realised that they were utilising the technology that we had created so long ago. If only more providers would only follow suit because these bags are so easy to open.
I used to have a terrible job to open things like a bin liner until I simply licked my thumb and finger and rubbed the two sides of the bag and it magically seperates
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 5 Feb 2021, 12:06 (Ref:4033587)   #656
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Indeed, but difficult with a face mask.
Old 5 Feb 2021, 12:11 (Ref:4033588)   #657
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRSTR5 View Post
Iain,

You may be disappointed that your 'box isn't a King George .... but I reckon it's THE ONE that Frank Williams started his GP team from ... ! Or are there already 7 others with the same provenance...?!!
Hey James. That's brilliant. I will get Broadie to ask him.
Old 5 Feb 2021, 13:15 (Ref:4033594)   #658
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Indeed, but difficult with a face mask.
As I keep reminding myself in the supermarket (and at work when turning diary pages)!
Old 5 Feb 2021, 13:19 (Ref:4033595)   #659
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRSTR5 View Post
Iain,

I thought Frank used Heathrow as his office.

Back in the day I arrived at T2 (iirc) one day to pick some people up and spotted Frank and Jacky Ickx deep in conversation. I think Jacky was en route somewhere else and the meeting time was between his flights.
Old 5 Feb 2021, 13:28 (Ref:4033597)   #660
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
I thought Frank used Heathrow as his office

I know that this is a tongue in cheek comment, but back in the 80s I had quite a few business meetings in airports over the years. It was often the only way that one could catch up with customers and suppliers from other parts of the world. For example, we had a couple of large Australian supermarkets that we supplied, and a lot of our business was conducted either on planes or in meeting rooms at various airports between the UK and Australia.
Old 5 Feb 2021, 13:36 (Ref:4033598)   #661
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I know that this is a tongue in cheek comment, but back in the 80s I had quite a few business meetings in airports over the years. It was often the only way that one could catch up with customers and suppliers from other parts of the world. For example, we had a couple of large Australian supermarkets that we supplied, and a lot of our business was conducted either on planes or in meeting rooms at various airports between the UK and Australia.

I think it was very common for some people to have airport meetings but usually they would book a meeting room or head to a hotel cafe or similar.

I guess the time available was too short on that occasion. Also they seemed to be practising social distancing. As I recall it was mid season but I don't recall which year. Probably '74 or '75.
Old 5 Feb 2021, 13:50 (Ref:4033599)   #662
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Motorway service stations are common meeting points for me and for years The George at Lacock became known as my second office. It's now The Barge at Seend Cleeve that I meet people in - or at least it was until last March.
Old 5 Feb 2021, 14:08 (Ref:4033601)   #663
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
The other day I posted on here regarding a bloke trying to get money off me saying he was on drug rehabilitation etc etc, I was talking to a mate this morning saying that their village has been plagued with exactly the same thing.
It would appear that a minibus load of them are dropped off and they wonder about giving the same old story. Not are they only a bloody nuisance but they must be also moving around different areas and probably spreading the virus around !!!
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 5 Feb 2021, 15:48 (Ref:4033616)   #664
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

We used to get regular visits from people with such stories. Sometimes they had household cleaning products to tout.

"I'm just trying to mend my ways/looking for a second chance" was the usual story.

I may have been true but one might have thought such schemes would be given some publicity if they existed and if they were serious.

Sometimes the lads were a strange mixture of ultra polite and actually quite smart sounding presenters whilst looking like the sort of people for whose potential presence one might invest in a pack of guard dogs.

I often wondered whether their real purpose was being masked by the side story.
Old 5 Feb 2021, 16:28 (Ref:4033621)   #665
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Motorway service stations are common meeting points for me and for years The George at Lacock became known as my second office. It's now The Barge at Seend Cleeve that I meet people in - or at least it was until last March.
In the 90's I had a weekly lunchtime meeting with a BT colleague working @ the Panasonic Laptop factory in Cardiff @ the Chieveley services - M4 / A34.

He'd load up my unmarked Sierra company car from the back of a Panasonic van. We often wondered if the boys in blue were watching.

Last edited by The Fat Clerk; 5 Feb 2021 at 16:34.
Old 5 Feb 2021, 16:52 (Ref:4033624)   #666
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
We used to get regular visits from people with such stories. Sometimes they had household cleaning products to tout.

"I'm just trying to mend my ways/looking for a second chance" was the usual story.

I may have been true but one might have thought such schemes would be given some publicity if they existed and if they were serious.

Sometimes the lads were a strange mixture of ultra polite and actually quite smart sounding presenters whilst looking like the sort of people for whose potential presence one might invest in a pack of guard dogs.

This guy had a back pack on but he didn't get as far as that after taking the keys out of my door ! My mate said that he would have tried to flog me a tea towel for 10 quid ! and he said that the bloke that he told to "go away" had told him that his girlfriend was pregnant as well !!
We get the occasional beggars on the street in Spain and one hugely obese woman sits outside one of the local markets with her hand out saying that she has 6 kids ! My other half said that she ought to give her a packet of condoms
Old 5 Feb 2021, 17:53 (Ref:4033632)   #667
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Yup, I miss going fishing, my kit has been in storage for a few years now.
henceforth you shall be known as Peter Mullett
Old 5 Feb 2021, 18:44 (Ref:4033644)   #668
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
henceforth you shall be known as Peter Mullett

You're just fishing for compliments with that remark, aren't you ?
Old 5 Feb 2021, 18:49 (Ref:4033645)   #669
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
You're just fishing for compliments with that remark, aren't you ?
If you think of any more comments like this would you please let minnow?
Old 5 Feb 2021, 19:52 (Ref:4033652)   #670
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
If you think of any more comments like this would you please let minnow?
Im perched on the edge of my seat waiting for the next one.
Old 5 Feb 2021, 19:59 (Ref:4033653)   #671
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I think we are skateing round the issue.
Old 5 Feb 2021, 20:06 (Ref:4033655)   #672
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
This is not the plaice for such levity: yet there should always be a thyme and a plaice for such!
Old 6 Feb 2021, 08:12 (Ref:4033702)   #673
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
For Cod's sake stop it!
Old 6 Feb 2021, 08:17 (Ref:4033705)   #674
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes I think we've given the subject a good battering and it has had its chips. Any more would be rubbing salt in Peter's wounds that he can't go fishing.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 6 Feb 2021, 08:38 (Ref:4033708)   #675
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Probably “Pikeys”

(To link two of our current themes)