Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 12 Mar 2019, 00:39 (Ref:3889789)   #2526
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I expect the government will give him a "bob or two" for getting them back in the "space race"
I don't particularly like the bloke after he slagged off the divers in the cave rescue a while back !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 12 Mar 2019, 06:20 (Ref:3889811)   #2527
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
I expect the government will give him a "bob or two" for getting them back in the "space race"
Only half of of the story. NASA awarded contracts to both Boeing and SpaceX back in 2014, as detailed here....

https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/f..._final_508.pdf
Old 12 Mar 2019, 07:48 (Ref:3889819)   #2528
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
I had an afternoon to myself yesterday so caught the bus into Melbourne . All the F1 merchandise stalls are up and running at the train station. 70 dollars for a Mercedes cap . I then thought about walking up to the race track but could not resist burger and beer so turned around . 5 am and just starting journey home . I’ve bohght a puzzle book to pass the time so stand by .
I already have an answer ready for your crossword. As you're in te 'other' hemisphere presumably they work backwards? If so, 7 up is lemonade!
Old 12 Mar 2019, 08:06 (Ref:3889822)   #2529
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I already have an answer ready for your crossword. As you're in te 'other' hemisphere presumably they work backwards? If so, 7 up is lemonade!
So says R Suppards.
Old 12 Mar 2019, 09:06 (Ref:3889833)   #2530
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
So says R Suppards.
Close to a coffee keyboard moment......
Old 12 Mar 2019, 09:41 (Ref:3889840)   #2531
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Sure is crazy . I left at 6 am this morning and now at Dubai. Just had 14 hours and will leave here at 2.30pm and get to Heathrow at 6.30. Pm . Just need to stay awake . Straight back to work tomorrow . At a push I could of gone to the Reading game tonight but then Mrs Delta might of had words .We got Leeds Mike .
Old 12 Mar 2019, 09:54 (Ref:3889842)   #2532
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mike, I took a couple of boxes of my favourite 'health bar'.... mixed nuts, barley, yogurt and blueberries to PI for all to tuck into. Iain took a liking to them and commented you would be impressed he was eating 'health food'.

(I wont mention the egg, bacon and cheese breakfast rolls)
Old 12 Mar 2019, 10:16 (Ref:3889844)   #2533
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Sure you will impress anyone on earth traveling on a warm day with a Bimmer, a push bike, peanuts, cashews and… yogurt E.B!!! After this dont be surprised if you are said "different" or may be "eccentric"!
Old 12 Mar 2019, 10:24 (Ref:3889845)   #2534
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Watched an episode of “Car SOS” last night.
Restoring what the owner thought was an RS3100.

They took the car to Ric Wood who confirmed....that it wasnt! No surprise.

The engine was bored out to 3100 though. Ric restored the “tea bag” shell and all mechanicals until it looked concourse. God knows what that would have cost if you were the owner and paying for it!
Old 12 Mar 2019, 10:29 (Ref:3889846)   #2535
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Sure you will impress anyone on earth traveling on a warm day with a Bimmer, a push bike, peanuts, cashews and… yogurt E.B!!! After this dont be surprised if you are said "different" or may be "eccentric"!
Dont forget the chicken, ham, baby spinach and wine infused cranberry sandwiches that also went down well!
Old 12 Mar 2019, 10:50 (Ref:3889855)   #2536
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Straight back to work tomorrow . At a push I could of gone to the Reading game tonight but then Mrs Delta might of had words .We got Leeds Mike .
They’re beatable...... 😏

E.B. As for Iain and ‘healthy’ food I’ll believe it when I see it!
Old 12 Mar 2019, 10:55 (Ref:3889856)   #2537
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Watched an episode of “Car SOS” last night.
Restoring what the owner thought was an RS3100.

They took the car to Ric Wood who confirmed....that it wasnt! No surprise.

The engine was bored out to 3100 though. Ric restored the “tea bag” shell and all mechanicals until it looked concourse. God knows what that would have cost if you were the owner and paying for it!
That’s the trouble with those sort of progs! Hardly living in the real world.... And as you say, no surprise it wasn’t genuine. Sad that people get taken in, as with most cars a bit of research will usually reveal the truth.
Old 12 Mar 2019, 10:58 (Ref:3889858)   #2538
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
In response to Iain's travelling to return to the UK, the craziest journeys that I did were the Polar flights from Tokyo to Amsterdam back in the 80s.

Take off was around 9 p.m. from Tokyo, and about an hour after leaving, the crew would serve dinner before dimming the lights so that the passengers could rest/sleep. After about an 8 hour flight, we would arrive in Anchorage, Alaska at about 10 a.m of the same morning of the day that we left Japan. Here the passengers had to disembark and were held in the terminal until called about two hours later whilst the plane was re-fuelled and a new crew of pilots and cabin staff would take over.

After take off, lunch would be served before the lights would be dimmed again for the next part of the 8 or so hour flight. And then, about an hour or so before landing, the cabin crew would serve breakfast. Touchdown in Schipol would then be at around 6 a.m. of the day after you left Tokyo.

It was a really weird experience, travelling backwards and forwards through the time zones, and travelling into and out of the dark twice in one 24 hour period.

And this was all because the USSR, as it was then, wouldn't permit flights over their airspace. Once they opened up their skies, as did China, travel to the Far East became so much easier, helped greatly by the newer generation aircraft with more fuel efficient engines and greater fuel capacities. Now a passenger plane can fly non-stop to Australia from the UK, and shortly, non-stop flights to New Zealand will start.
Old 12 Mar 2019, 12:43 (Ref:3889877)   #2539
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Makes jet lag from a transatlantic flight sound simple!

Glad I never had to go though all that.....
Old 12 Mar 2019, 13:47 (Ref:3889883)   #2540
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
They’re beatable...... ��

E.B. As for Iain and ‘healthy’ food I’ll believe it when I see it!
Could do with Iain's lot doing us a favour Mike
Old 12 Mar 2019, 14:35 (Ref:3889903)   #2541
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well I think you could sort out a problem between you
Old 12 Mar 2019, 15:17 (Ref:3889912)   #2542
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
?
Old 12 Mar 2019, 15:25 (Ref:3889913)   #2543
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Rear View Post
Could do with Iain's lot doing us a favour Mike
Yes, and Brentford as well..... (Pretend we’re not talking about footy- bauble hates it..... )
Old 12 Mar 2019, 15:27 (Ref:3889915)   #2544
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Yes, and Brentford as well..... (Pretend we’re not talking about footy- bauble hates it..... )

Bauble's not alone!
Old 12 Mar 2019, 15:38 (Ref:3889917)   #2545
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Makes jet lag from a transatlantic flight sound simple!

Glad I never had to go though all that.....

My own way of overcoming jet lag is to set my watch to the local time at my destination, and try to "behave" as if that is the real time. That means trying to sleep if it's night time where I'm going even if it's still the middle of the day when I got on board.

Also, limit the amount of food during the early part of the flight, and strictly no alcohol, but plenty of water.

As far as I was concerned, jet lag only occurred on the long flights going East, which I needed to avoid as my first business meetings usually started within 2 to 3 hours after landing, most often in Singapore. Would land at about four o'clock in the afternoon, car meeting me would whisk me off to the hotel, time for a wash and brush up before a business briefing over dinner.

Iain would have been jealous because work would start at about 7 a.m the next morning conducted over breakfast. Followed by possibly one or two more breakfast meetings before the day really kicked off.

And so it would go on for about 6 to 8 weeks, visiting all or some of the countries Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Hong Kong, just across the border into mainland China, Japan, Korea and Taiwan. And sometimes business meetings in the airports in UAE when customers or suppliers crossed paths on our travels.

To think that nowadays most of that would be replaced by Skype type meetings. Mind you, that would have meant living at home which in turn would have hastened my divorce by a good few years.
Old 12 Mar 2019, 15:38 (Ref:3889918)   #2546
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Bauble's not alone!
No he isn't!
(For the first time ever, I appear to be on the same side as Baub! Which one of us will crack first and alter our stance so we're on opposing sides as usual?)
Old 12 Mar 2019, 15:54 (Ref:3889919)   #2547
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
No he isn't!
(For the first time ever, I appear to be on the same side as Baub! Which one of us will crack first and alter our stance so we're on opposing sides as usual?)
As a fellow hate of 'footie' Viv I can forgive you anything, as I can JE.

Sadly Mike B is forever dooooomed.
Old 12 Mar 2019, 16:17 (Ref:3889921)   #2548
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Bauble's not alone!

He certainly isn't. One of my sons has never forgiven me for never taking him to see Tottenham Hotspurs, as my factory and offices were just 400 metres away from the White Hart Lane grounds. In fact, the only time that I ever went into the stadium was when I was a child, and my school arranged (goodness only knows why) for a coach load or more to go to see an England Under 21 match against Germany.

Mind you, back in the 80s, Spurs ran a really good restaurant, Chanticleer, if I remember correctly, under the North stand which I used to visit often for lunch.
Old 12 Mar 2019, 16:23 (Ref:3889923)   #2549
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
He certainly isn't. One of my sons has never forgiven me for never taking him to see Tottenham Hotspurs, as my factory and offices were just 400 metres away from the White Hart Lane grounds. In fact, the only time that I ever went into the stadium was when I was a child, and my school arranged (goodness only knows why) for a coach load or more to go to see an England Under 21 match against Germany.

Mind you, back in the 80s, Spurs ran a really good restaurant, Chanticleer, if I remember correctly, under the North stand which I used to visit often for lunch.
Was it named for you?
Old 12 Mar 2019, 16:46 (Ref:3889927)   #2550
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Well, apparently the restaurant food at NCFC is pretty good as well. Something to do with Delia being a major shareholder! Personally, I’m quite content with a ‘traditional’ pukka pie......