Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 19 Feb 2020, 08:48 (Ref:3958421)   #1
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
PERSONAL HEALTH STATEMENT

Not sure if this will be deemed inappropriate or not, but if mods decide the former, then please delete.

I guess we all think we’re immortal, or at least will get to receive 100th congrats from the monarch, but seems reality is very different.

Having reached 70 last year, and looked after my fitness, health and diet all through, it was a bit disappointing to start to feel unwell last October. Eventually by the time the NHS cogs had managed to be kick-started into action, a tumour was apparent in my left kidney, which was blocking the flow to my bladder. After more complaints on pain from me, debate and conferring, further scans were done, revealing something sinister in the bladder as well. Finally last week I was due to have a tissue biopsy, but on arrival at hospital was in such a poor state that it had to be cancelled. Scans the revealed a blockage to my right kidney as well...... Fortunately emergency dialysis was avoided and intravenous flushing through a tube inserted into my back has improved blood quality again.

So even though a biopsy is still required to determine treatment, what is clear is that the cancers cannot be removed, so chemo/radio therapy is the only option to reduce or stop any further spread. How many more months / years that will give me on the planet is impossible to know at this time, and more importantly- whether I will be fit enough to race again!

I’ve made this ‘statement’ as at the moment only those that needed to know are aware, but of course word is bound to spread. I’d rather the facts were known straight.

I’m not courting sympathy from my many friends on the forum, both virtual and real, there are many many more in a worse position in the world, but if you want to contact me, you can pm or email via tenths...

Upwards and Onwards!
Old 23 Mar 2020, 14:06 (Ref:3966266)   #2
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Wasn’t my intention to update the above any time but a quick resume of where we are now.

Cancer spreading as fast as appointments can be obtained for scans and tests to check. (Maybe faster, but that is being sarcastic....

Now in hosp for latest related issue, but close to decision on what treatment can be attempted.

As usual, questions to the docs about future longevity meet with anything from averted eyes to ‘its very serious’. Now I’ve heard lots of stories where that’s been the case and the patient has got through it all, and I’m a seriously optimistic type, but I’m also a realist! If it can’t be beaten, sad but life....

I’ve got a (wonderful) small group of friends working on the estate stuff while I fight my corner. First decision is to sell my wonderful truck, which those and know it will agree is admired in paddocks all across Europe. I’m not including the pic (en route and Mt Blanc behind) for advertising purposes, just to remind myself how nice it is!
Attached Thumbnails
BC82C67E-08C8-4062-8220-CDBDAD4582E2.jpeg  

Last edited by Mike Bell; 23 Mar 2020 at 14:29.