Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

CSCC THRUXTON
Calendar: Historic Racing
Mike Bell  
25 Jul 2020 to 26 Jul 2020 07:30 to 19:30
*The times shown may change, depending on DST settings

CSCC visit to the ultra-fast circuit.

Old 26 Jul 2020, 13:37 (Ref:3990853)   #46
Gerard C
Veteran

Wallis & Futuna
Paris area
Gerard C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry for you Andy, know this kind of feeling. Did you find what was going wrong?
Old 26 Jul 2020, 13:47 (Ref:3990856)   #47
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Sorry for you Andy, know this kind of feeling. Did you find what was going wrong?
Not yet. We think it is electrical gremlins. And no amount of checking and trying things changed the symptoms. A new loom is on order, a programmable ecu already bought, probably going to have to replace all the sensors and then, maybe I take the opportunity for an upgrade with ITBs???
Old 26 Jul 2020, 14:54 (Ref:3990872)   #48
Gerard C
Veteran

Wallis & Futuna
Paris area
Gerard C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very good idea this upgrade, from a bad weekend a better car. Forget the gremlins and move forward!
Old 26 Jul 2020, 15:18 (Ref:3990880)   #49
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
My series, Future Classics produced quite a good race from what I could see between the youtube feed and the commentary, which unfortunately were wildly out of sync . Taylor's RX7 starting at back of the field stormed through the field to pip last year's series winners, the Blakes' 911 by under a second at the finish for 3rd place, albeit somewhat distance from Daburn's TVR and Lancashire's Morgan in 1st and 2nd respectively. Good class win for CSCC Chairman John Hammersley and the very rapid young Adam Brown in the GTE.
Old 26 Jul 2020, 23:40 (Ref:3990941)   #50
MGDavid
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid has a real shot at the championship!MGDavid has a real shot at the championship!MGDavid has a real shot at the championship!MGDavid has a real shot at the championship!MGDavid has a real shot at the championship!
S'pose you want chapter and verse! Yes I was only 'team manager' for the weekend having decided to let my pal who rebuilt the engine share the 2 races with my eldest son. (ulterior motive - I decided it wasn't a great idea to race on slicks for the first time at the fastest circuit in the country in an unproven car).
Testing on Friday revealed a skyrocketing oil temp issue due to the poor placement of the oil cooler up by the bulkhead with no air vent close by. Fortunately I had a spare cooler and pipes with me so we plumbed that one in next to the rad and butchered the rad ducting to feed it. Second test proved this was a good solution so will re-install it properly when back home. Next issue was the handling with both drivers reporting a lack of feel and a porpoising or floating sensation in the fast bends. Improved it a bit by stiffening rear shocks to maximum but suspect the ex-Formula Renault radial tyres with soft sidewalls may be the main culprit; not knowing anyone else using them we are in the dark on pressures. Qualifying early Sunday went OK - we weren't last although the handling was still holding us back from trying too hard. Race 1 went well for a couple of laps then John had a big moment when he thought he'd lost a wheel; pulled off to place of safety and discovered the panhard rod had torn itself free of the mounting bracket leaving no lateral axle location at all. Combination of age, rust, and using too thin a sheet for the bracketry. Found a big rig with a mig and a genny (there is no power in either the paddock or the garages at Thruxton but that's a rant for another day), and a super spannerman who straightened out the bracket and welded it all up in no time at all. So we got Alex out for the second race, started 20th and a with a few falling off and a couple of overtakes finished 14th.
Learnt a lot about the car, have a goodly list of jobs to do and things to research; the engine, box and brakes are all terrific so we're halfway there.
It's still in one piece and we didn't get wet so all-in-all I call it a good weekend.
PS - anyone know a good source of used Avons in 13 inch?