Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 9 Jul 2020, 19:44 (Ref:3987056)   #26
Mike Crow
Racer

Mike Crow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Spectators expected to be allowed at the Snetterton meeting. Spectators not yet allowed at most sports.
Welcome at Brands this weekend
Old 9 Jul 2020, 20:07 (Ref:3987057)   #27
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Crow View Post
Welcome at Brands this weekend
MSV are having their own rules. I don’t think non MSV tracks are allowing spectators, sorry, “day visitors” in MSV speak.

No spectators at football, golf, horse racing etc yet. Indeed most club level competitive sport not yet happening but club level motor racing is.
Old 9 Jul 2020, 20:31 (Ref:3987061)   #28
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
MSVs initiative is welcome (and will be fully used by me over the next couple of weekends). Perhaps worth bearing in mind that planning and setting up a circuit to allow us day visitors in at an acceptable level of risk to all parties while also setting up a race meeting are not the work of a moment. I suspect that MSVs operation is rather larger and able to cope with such planning.
Old 9 Jul 2020, 21:50 (Ref:3987081)   #29
Mike Crow
Racer

Mike Crow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwh43scale View Post
MSVs initiative is welcome (and will be fully used by me over the next couple of weekends). Perhaps worth bearing in mind that planning and setting up a circuit to allow us day visitors in at an acceptable level of risk to all parties while also setting up a race meeting are not the work of a moment. I suspect that MSVs operation is rather larger and able to cope with such planning.
Agreed. Much harder for the smaller organisations to deal with.
Old 10 Jul 2020, 14:51 (Ref:3987239)   #30
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Really not sure how Palmer is doing it since MUK said that permits for July were on the basis of "behind closed doors", but still......

Agree its great to see the entry lists for CSCC - several races are full, in the case of some with reserves and (in the case of Swinging Sixties) a sizeable "Waiting List". And there are still 9 or so days to go to close of entries!
Old 25 Jul 2020, 11:58 (Ref:3990697)   #31
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Qualifying well under way, now, and some big grids - 43 for the combined Jaguar Championship and Open series.....with a somewhat mind-blowing 35 second difference between 1st on the grid and 43rd.......At that rate lapping will start early in lap 3.....

40 cars out in the Magnificent 7s...only a 20 second gap there.....

Smallish field of 15 for the new Slicks series but a fascinating range of cars from the leading Golf TCR through such as BMW M3, a Noble, a Nissan GTR Nismo, and a couple of (doubtless) thundering Corvettes...17 second spread from the Golf to one of the Vettes.....

41 entrants for the Modern Classics /Turbo Tin Tops / Puma Cup -again a great mix of cars from the leading M3 to the tailend BMW Mini Cooper R53 some 20 seconds down.

New Millenium a smaller field of 21, but ranging from the leading M3 via such as a Ginetta G50, Lotus Europa, Holden Commodore to the final M3 - only 13 seconds down.....

Lunch break now, with racing resuming at 13.50. Should be viewable on the CSCC Youtube channel. Everything so far has been recorded as "Cloudy/dry", but there is rain on the camera........this afternoon could be interesting.
Old 25 Jul 2020, 12:04 (Ref:3990699)   #32
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cr@p weekend for me at Thruxton. Car wouldn’t run properly yesterday in testing. Engine hunting. Tried everything but to no avail. Only did two laps. Couldn’t get it working overnight so game over.
An expensive weekends camping in the new (to me) m/h!
Old 25 Jul 2020, 12:50 (Ref:3990702)   #33
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Cr@p weekend for me at Thruxton. Car wouldn’t run properly yesterday in testing. Engine hunting. Tried everything but to no avail. Only did two laps. Couldn’t get it working overnight so game over.
An expensive weekends camping in the new (to me) m/h!
Must be a tenths thing. Sorry for you Andy, If anyone says the coil,"Hit them "
Old 25 Jul 2020, 14:19 (Ref:3990712)   #34
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Sorry to hear that, Andy.

Just watched the Modern Classics/Turbo Tintops/Puma race.....well over half of it behind the SC in lousy conditions.....only got running again with about 6 minutes to go.
Old 25 Jul 2020, 15:01 (Ref:3990723)   #35
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Next race - for the new "Slicks" series, is of course ironically having to be run on wets.......

And after one of the leading bunch went off at Allard just after the start straight, a Safety Car was thrown, almost immediately followed by Red Flag with around 12 minutes to go. Worryingly, crews on the pit-wall were waving the cars to slow down well before the yellows were shown opposite the pits.....
Old 25 Jul 2020, 18:36 (Ref:3990755)   #36
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Thanks for all the sympathy - that’s racing I suppose but I am very disappointed.
I suppose I am not a “natural racer” and even under normal circumstances only race 4-8 times a year(& very rarely even do track / test days) so i do still get very nervous beforehand and there’s a lot of nervous emotion beforehand (Mrs 97 calls it pre race tension, and far worse than PMT). There’s a lot of planning and a lot of thinking it’s all through to make sure I havent forgotten anything; a lot of watching circuit videos too, and this time even a day off to go to a simulator session as I havent been to Thruxton before (the simulator made me feel sick!) and a track walk with an instructor and a test session yesterday!
I found the thought of the speed of Thruxton quite daunting but was really looking forward to it. Despite all the nerves I am usually fine once I get on with it! So, to end up only doing two laps and then spending hours chasing electrical problems (well, I provided the tea) which couldn’t be found is a massive let down.
All that nervous energy wasted.
I could have lit up Andover.
Still, I got a good nights sleep in the new (second hand) m/h. Definitely a good investment in making circuit life easier. And my neighbour, who used to buy, sell and rent the things reckons it’s gone up in value by £5k due to everyone wanting staycations!
Old 25 Jul 2020, 18:44 (Ref:3990759)   #37
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
I do feel for you Andy - the nerves thing doesn't seem to affect me - I think my reactions are just too slow for the worry vibes to get through - but we had two races last year when we retired after qualy at Oulton - well on the outlap for the race - with clutch failure, then again at the next meet at Anglesey (a double header) when the new replacement clutch disintegrated after less than 20 minutes of qualy.......two very expensive weekends for nothing....
Old 25 Jul 2020, 19:02 (Ref:3990764)   #38
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Thanks for all the sympathy - that’s racing I suppose but I am very disappointed.
I suppose I am not a “natural racer” and even under normal circumstances only race 4-8 times a year(& very rarely even do track / test days) so i do still get very nervous beforehand and there’s a lot of nervous emotion beforehand (Mrs 97 calls it pre race tension, and far worse than PMT). There’s a lot of planning and a lot of thinking it’s all through to make sure I havent forgotten anything; a lot of watching circuit videos too, and this time even a day off to go to a simulator session as I havent been to Thruxton before (the simulator made me feel sick!) and a track walk with an instructor and a test session yesterday!
I found the thought of the speed of Thruxton quite daunting but was really looking forward to it. Despite all the nerves I am usually fine once I get on with it! So, to end up only doing two laps and then spending hours chasing electrical problems (well, I provided the tea) which couldn’t be found is a massive let down.
Still, I got a good nights sleep in the new (second hand) m/h. Definitely a good investment in making circuit life easier. And my neighbour, who used to buy, sell and rent the things reckons it’s gone up in value by £5k due to everyone wanting staycations!
I know what you mean about the nerves and anticipation about the build up to a race weekend, when that stopped happening to me is when I gave up racing. It got to the stage where Friday would roll up and I'd be thinking "oh yeah I've got to go racing tomorrow" and there was just no excitement about it anymore. I think you're lucky to still get those feelings and be happy all the time they are there
Old 25 Jul 2020, 19:04 (Ref:3990765)   #39
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Nice report ANDY . You need a few laps under your belt at Thruxton . Sure is scary. I got very nervous at Brands last week . Waiting to see how MG David fairs tomorrow .
Old 25 Jul 2020, 19:23 (Ref:3990767)   #40
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Thanks chaps. At least the weather forecast for tomorrow looks decent for MGDavid. I think the weather was pretty pants this afternoon over Thruxton and we have just had the mother and father of thunderstorms back home at Castle Donington.
Hope it goes well tomorrow. Enjoy.
I shall be watching the football and hoping the weekend does not get any worse!!!
Old 25 Jul 2020, 21:04 (Ref:3990778)   #41
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think it's MinMGD and a FISC friend who are driving the car, unless plans have changed. If you're looking online cheer on Alex and John (AFAIK).

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 26 Jul 2020, 05:59 (Ref:3990795)   #42
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Qualifying well under way, now, and some big grids - 43 for the combined Jaguar Championship and Open series.....
I think it was the biggest meeting Thruxton has seen in years. 408 cars over two days and well over 500 drivers.
Old 26 Jul 2020, 07:54 (Ref:3990800)   #43
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Sat in front of Computor watching live timing. Go team MG Smithy
Old 26 Jul 2020, 07:59 (Ref:3990802)   #44
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Jeepers sure is a variety of cars .
Old 26 Jul 2020, 11:35 (Ref:3990827)   #45
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Its getting very complicated....the Youtube live feed has the TSL timing screen frozen on the Swinging Sixties results, so have to keep flipping to the TSL direct feed, and also been monitoring Pete Richards at Cadwell - fasyest in class but he only did 3 laps.......Clan reliability again ?
Old 26 Jul 2020, 13:37 (Ref:3990853)   #46
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Sorry for you Andy, know this kind of feeling. Did you find what was going wrong?
Old 26 Jul 2020, 13:47 (Ref:3990856)   #47
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Sorry for you Andy, know this kind of feeling. Did you find what was going wrong?
Not yet. We think it is electrical gremlins. And no amount of checking and trying things changed the symptoms. A new loom is on order, a programmable ecu already bought, probably going to have to replace all the sensors and then, maybe I take the opportunity for an upgrade with ITBs???
Old 26 Jul 2020, 14:54 (Ref:3990872)   #48
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Very good idea this upgrade, from a bad weekend a better car. Forget the gremlins and move forward!
Old 26 Jul 2020, 15:18 (Ref:3990880)   #49
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
My series, Future Classics produced quite a good race from what I could see between the youtube feed and the commentary, which unfortunately were wildly out of sync . Taylor's RX7 starting at back of the field stormed through the field to pip last year's series winners, the Blakes' 911 by under a second at the finish for 3rd place, albeit somewhat distance from Daburn's TVR and Lancashire's Morgan in 1st and 2nd respectively. Good class win for CSCC Chairman John Hammersley and the very rapid young Adam Brown in the GTE.
Old 26 Jul 2020, 23:40 (Ref:3990941)   #50
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
S'pose you want chapter and verse! Yes I was only 'team manager' for the weekend having decided to let my pal who rebuilt the engine share the 2 races with my eldest son. (ulterior motive - I decided it wasn't a great idea to race on slicks for the first time at the fastest circuit in the country in an unproven car).
Testing on Friday revealed a skyrocketing oil temp issue due to the poor placement of the oil cooler up by the bulkhead with no air vent close by. Fortunately I had a spare cooler and pipes with me so we plumbed that one in next to the rad and butchered the rad ducting to feed it. Second test proved this was a good solution so will re-install it properly when back home. Next issue was the handling with both drivers reporting a lack of feel and a porpoising or floating sensation in the fast bends. Improved it a bit by stiffening rear shocks to maximum but suspect the ex-Formula Renault radial tyres with soft sidewalls may be the main culprit; not knowing anyone else using them we are in the dark on pressures. Qualifying early Sunday went OK - we weren't last although the handling was still holding us back from trying too hard. Race 1 went well for a couple of laps then John had a big moment when he thought he'd lost a wheel; pulled off to place of safety and discovered the panhard rod had torn itself free of the mounting bracket leaving no lateral axle location at all. Combination of age, rust, and using too thin a sheet for the bracketry. Found a big rig with a mig and a genny (there is no power in either the paddock or the garages at Thruxton but that's a rant for another day), and a super spannerman who straightened out the bracket and welded it all up in no time at all. So we got Alex out for the second race, started 20th and a with a few falling off and a couple of overtakes finished 14th.
Learnt a lot about the car, have a goodly list of jobs to do and things to research; the engine, box and brakes are all terrific so we're halfway there.
It's still in one piece and we didn't get wet so all-in-all I call it a good weekend.
PS - anyone know a good source of used Avons in 13 inch?