Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

MASTERS DONINGTON HISTORIC W/END
Calendar: Historic Racing
Mike Bell  
18 Jul 2020 to 19 Jul 2020 07:30 to 19:30
*The times shown may change, depending on DST settings

Includes HGPCA.

Old 14 Jul 2020, 21:45 (Ref:3988314)   #16
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new lap record!chunterer is going for a new lap record!chunterer is going for a new lap record!chunterer is going for a new lap record!chunterer is going for a new lap record!chunterer is going for a new lap record!
I'm pleasantly surprised by the number of entries so far in most of the programme.

Shame I can't make it as it was on my original 'must attends' list at the turn if the year.
Old 16 Jul 2020, 10:46 (Ref:3988690)   #17
retrognome
Racer

retrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looking forward to Masters Historic F1 this weekend. As a usually spoilt media person I'm also looking forward to shooting through the wire.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2960.jpg  
Old 16 Jul 2020, 13:30 (Ref:3988715)   #18
Anyopenroad
Veteran

European Union
London
Anyopenroad should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAnyopenroad should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAnyopenroad should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I’ve only been to Donington once, in 2014, so tips on photo spots and getting around would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 16 Jul 2020, 14:18 (Ref:3988730)   #19
dwh43scale
Racer

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
I’ve only been to Donington once, in 2014, so tips on photo spots and getting around would be much appreciated. Thanks!
PistonClick is your friend ... https://www.pistonclick.com/circuit-...ingtonParkpage

MSV website is helpful for areas free for day visitors.
Old 16 Jul 2020, 15:02 (Ref:3988744)   #20
Anyopenroad
Veteran

European Union
London
Anyopenroad should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAnyopenroad should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAnyopenroad should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thank you! I thought if you and your great guides after I posted. Looks like the infield is the place to be...
Old 16 Jul 2020, 15:09 (Ref:3988749)   #21
dwh43scale
Racer

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Donington has just confirmed that the Coppice Tunnel will be the only access to the infield. A bit of a walk from the Tarmac Lake parking behind Redgate.
Old 16 Jul 2020, 15:13 (Ref:3988750)   #22
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridascarracinguk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridascarracinguk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Thank you! I thought if you and your great guides after I posted. Looks like the infield is the place to be...

to be fair one of the best spots is at Hollywood, especially if you can get in the grandstand. you can see all the way from redgate, down craners, old hall and up to mcleans.

one of the best views in UK motorsport along with the grandstand on Paddock Hill at Brands Hatch
Old 16 Jul 2020, 16:36 (Ref:3988764)   #23
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice has a real shot at the championship!coppice has a real shot at the championship!coppice has a real shot at the championship!coppice has a real shot at the championship!coppice has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwh43scale View Post
Donington has just confirmed that the Coppice Tunnel will be the only access to the infield. A bit of a walk from the Tarmac Lake parking behind Redgate.

This is getting deeply tiresome. Pubs and cafes are open, shops, hairdressers and cafes . But I can't walk in the open air across a large expanse of tarmac , then through a wide tunnel from the paddock .
Old 16 Jul 2020, 17:30 (Ref:3988774)   #24
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridascarracinguk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridascarracinguk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
This is getting deeply tiresome. Pubs and cafes are open, shops, hairdressers and cafes . But I can't walk in the open air across a large expanse of tarmac , then through a wide tunnel from the paddock .
Not difficult to understand. Pits and paddock off limits to spectators to satisfy MSUK rules to protect competitors....the infield tunnel is in the pits so out of bounds.

Just enjoy the walk and be grateful we are out of the house!
Old 16 Jul 2020, 18:31 (Ref:3988799)   #25
Anyopenroad
Veteran

European Union
London
Thanks for the tips, much appreciated. Is it possible to walk all the way round the outside of the track in clockwise direction (Hollywood/Craner/Hairpin/Starkey's/Schwantz/McLans/Coppice)?
Old 16 Jul 2020, 19:41 (Ref:3988808)   #26
ascarracinguk
Veteran

Quote:
Thanks for the tips, much appreciated. Is it possible to walk all the way round the outside of the track in clockwise direction (Hollywood/Craner/Hairpin/Starkey's/Schwantz/McLans/Coppice)?
Yes....although you’re best to get to McLean’s then go through the tunnel between McLean’s and coppice which will take you onto the infield where you can do an entire loop from the inside of th circuit including the start finish straight
Old 16 Jul 2020, 20:47 (Ref:3988821)   #27
Anyopenroad
Veteran

European Union
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
Yes....although you’re best to get to McLean’s then go through the tunnel between McLean’s and coppice which will take you onto the infield where you can do an entire loop from the inside of th circuit including the start finish straight
Many thanks. That's my Saturday sorted out then!
Old 17 Jul 2020, 07:14 (Ref:3988874)   #28
dwh43scale
Racer

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
Programme available to download here - https://doningtonpark.msv.com/DP-20-Masters
Old 17 Jul 2020, 09:41 (Ref:3988912)   #29
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

Only as far as Coppice.

As it seems that the Coppice tunnel will be open to access the infield you could indeed cut through there but if the tunnel under the esses is closed (perhaps along with the GP circuit loop tunnel since that has not been mentioned) then you will have to retrace your steps to get back to the car park on the "tarmac lake".

Assuming the Coppice Gate will be open (?) to allow access to the disabled viewing area one might be able to complete the loop around the outside of the circuit but although well paved and relatively level it's quite a long way - probably further then retracing your steps around the perimeter.

In that context note that the introduction of the Aston Barclay car auction operation in what was the Exhibition centre has resulted in the outside perimeter road that ran along the wall just outside the track is now blocked and the only option (unless things have changed again over the winter) is to take the main track form the old Main gate all the way to Paddock entrance and then on around to the revised parking location on the outside of the circuit. Nothing to see there so best sticking with the inside.

Great viewing of course. And good exercise. Few facilities.

I wonder of the toilet blocks will be open? Does anyone know?
Old 17 Jul 2020, 09:46 (Ref:3988914)   #30
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post

Are you thinking of the "new" vehicle access tunnel?

Unless things have changed over the winter that is not accessible from inside the circuit. If it's open. The old access tunnel under Coppice is now pedestrian only when open and at least accessible from inside the circuit boundary.