Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Jul 2020, 11:17 (Ref:3988957)   #16
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
No, of course not.

In all seriousness I don't care whether it carries on a bit longer or not. It is a good message. Obviously it would be a bit silly if we were still doing it this time next year.

I just find it hard to be riled by it in any way. Maybe I am dead inside.
Old 17 Jul 2020, 11:23 (Ref:3988959)   #17
Aysedasi
'I am not a number.....'
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm not riled at all, but for me personally it serves no purpose in being repeated. Perhaps that's because of some of the absurd hatred I've seen aimed at Hamilton on social media, some from people that I had regarded as friends. You can get to a point where symbolism becomes so diluted that it's taken for granted or the obligatory repetition actually generates annoyance. But I guess there may be some who've not seen it... Anyhow, probably not a discussion for this thread....

Now 37 and not yet the 'village' idiot.....
Old 17 Jul 2020, 11:32 (Ref:3988964)   #18
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
You can get to a point where symbolism becomes so diluted that it's taken for granted or the obligatory repetition actually generates annoyance.
This is a risk for the movement. It is just 'there', which is exactly the passivity that it so opposes. Although, maybe this is for another thread, as you said.
Old 17 Jul 2020, 11:35 (Ref:3988968)   #19
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
My assumption was it was just for the first three back to backs and then it was back to normal. If so that is probably about the right balance.

Err, yes, anyways. Racing.
Old 17 Jul 2020, 12:14 (Ref:3988979)   #20
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new lap record!chunterer is going for a new lap record!chunterer is going for a new lap record!chunterer is going for a new lap record!chunterer is going for a new lap record!chunterer is going for a new lap record!
Thoughts from 1st practice?

Ferrari doing bit better than I expected, Mercedes also (for differing reasons!)

Few drivers' awareness lacking a bit out there....

Is it me or is the DRS flap on most cars closing incredibly close to the turn in point for the first corner??? If that fails, there will be an enormous accident for the unfortunate victim!!!
Old 17 Jul 2020, 12:23 (Ref:3988982)   #21
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new lap record!S griffin is going for a new lap record!S griffin is going for a new lap record!S griffin is going for a new lap record!S griffin is going for a new lap record!S griffin is going for a new lap record!
I still remember when they had problems at the first turn at Silverstone due to DRS a couple of years ago. That was not good
Old 17 Jul 2020, 12:52 (Ref:3989002)   #22
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert has a real shot at the championship!gert has a real shot at the championship!gert has a real shot at the championship!gert has a real shot at the championship!gert has a real shot at the championship!gert has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Thoughts from 1st practice?

Ferrari doing bit better than I expected, Mercedes also (for differing reasons!)
better, or less bad than expected? (*)
A 1.2 second gap is still huge.

--
(*) is 'less bad' the correct way to say that, or should i say 'not as bad' ?
Old 17 Jul 2020, 13:29 (Ref:3989014)   #23
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Excellent intro as ever. After the Austrian and Styrian GPs, I'm looking forward to this one.

Three questions immediately spring to mind. Firstly, can Ferrari sort themselves out after last weekend's debacle? Secondly, will Red Bull mount an effective challenge against Mercedes and thirdly, will the podium robots make another appearance?
Old 17 Jul 2020, 13:49 (Ref:3989017)   #24
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B has a real shot at the championship!E.B has a real shot at the championship!E.B has a real shot at the championship!E.B has a real shot at the championship!E.B has a real shot at the championship!E.B has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Pah..... That's all I can say.....
Im with you on that one Ayse.

The things teams will do for a $.

So P1 resulted in 2 black Mercs leading the times from two pink ones.... with Kubica slowest overall by a margin. Everybody else in between.

And then the rains came, the F3 session cancelled and now FP2 is running but with little activity, given the weekend forecast being damp and they get allowed only three sets of wets for the weekend (and a few inters)
Old 17 Jul 2020, 14:07 (Ref:3989019)   #25
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert has a real shot at the championship!gert has a real shot at the championship!gert has a real shot at the championship!gert has a real shot at the championship!gert has a real shot at the championship!gert has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
... and they get allowed only three sets of wets for the weekend (and a few inters)
Didn't they get unlimited sets of wet weather tires in earlier years? OK, maybe not unlimited, but certainly a lot, and not just 3 sets?
Old 17 Jul 2020, 14:16 (Ref:3989023)   #26
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new lap record!S griffin is going for a new lap record!S griffin is going for a new lap record!S griffin is going for a new lap record!S griffin is going for a new lap record!S griffin is going for a new lap record!
Depends how far back you want to go for ‘earlier years’
Old 17 Jul 2020, 14:17 (Ref:3989024)   #27
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This is the weather forecast for the Grand Prix weekend.

https://www.myweather2.com/Motor-Rac...g-Circuit.aspx
Old 17 Jul 2020, 14:19 (Ref:3989029)   #28
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
no idea what program/setup they are running and probably too early for the inters but those Ferrari's look unbalanced.
Old 17 Jul 2020, 14:20 (Ref:3989030)   #29
S griffin
Veteran

A sprinkling of rain could be on it’s way then
Old 17 Jul 2020, 14:52 (Ref:3989041)   #30
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B has a real shot at the championship!E.B has a real shot at the championship!E.B has a real shot at the championship!E.B has a real shot at the championship!E.B has a real shot at the championship!E.B has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
Didn't they get unlimited sets of wet weather tires in earlier years? OK, maybe not unlimited, but certainly a lot, and not just 3 sets?
The current number of sets was introduced in 2016..... when Pirelli chose from three compounds with teams having to use 2 of the three compounds in each race. The number of sets allocated was complicated but based on 13 dry sets per weekend.

This year (I think because of cost restrictions and Covid difficulties such as a compressed bur effectively unknown calendar,) with the teams no longer allowed to decide what number of sets of individual compounds they wanted.... now each team gets an identical allocation as mandated by Pirelli. (8 sets of soft, 3 sets of intermediate and 2 sets hard.)

Plus a maximum of 3 sets wet plus im not sure how many intermediates allowed, but it is limited numbers.