Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 19 Aug 2011, 03:35 (Ref:2942782)   #76
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Terry, please remind us what year this was built and what spec it runs to. You might guess why I ask!

Hi John,not a bad idea! Its one of the 1949 Spa 24hr Team cars rebodied in 52 by the then owner, Len Bluebell-Gibbs in a rather nice two seat aluminium sports body. Fortunatly all of the cars history was kept on record by B-G.We have always had original letters telling of race history and how the body came to be changed.The chassis and all mechanical parts are completely ORIGINAL apart from being rebuilt of course.
Old 19 Aug 2011, 07:56 (Ref:2942828)   #77
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thanks, Terry; sounds promising; will get back to you!
Old 19 Aug 2011, 11:09 (Ref:2942888)   #78
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can anyone tell me if the Jensen CV8 Mk III (1965) was ever homologated? If it was - what is the homologation number and was it homologated as a Touring or Grand Touring car?

Peter Wray
Old 19 Aug 2011, 12:45 (Ref:2942923)   #79
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Peter, I think the Jensen-Healey was the only car Jensen ever homologated. There's a guy called Richard Lovell-Butt who raced & rallied a CV-8 a few years ago who might be able to help, probably contactable through the owner's club. There have also been a couple of 541's out this year (one of them was at the Classic), slow but interesting!
Old 19 Aug 2011, 12:52 (Ref:2942926)   #80
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
Thanks Colin. HSCC has had an enquiry from a CV8 owner asking if it is eligible for Historic Touring Cars. I have seen it described as a four seater and as a saloon but as only 500 were made between 1963 and 1966 it was probably never homologated as a Touring Car. It always appeared to be a Grand Touring car to me.

Any of the experts here have a view on whether it is a Touring or GT car?
Old 19 Aug 2011, 15:31 (Ref:2942980)   #81
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm no expert but with the car being a four seater,it should come under the GT banner.
Old 19 Aug 2011, 16:04 (Ref:2942995)   #82
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Just checked the FIA list and as Colin says only Jensen on there is the Jensen Healey.
Old 19 Aug 2011, 17:07 (Ref:2943027)   #83
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
I'm no expert but with the car being a four seater,it should come under the GT banner.
Terry, don't quite understand the logic of that as Touring cars (as opposed to the old fashioned term 'tourer') are 4 seaters. A lot of GTs are surely 2 + (often legless!)2. However, I would tend to agree that the CV8 with its big lazy engine and ability to cruise at high speeds over long distances probably make its a Grand Tourer. Love to see one out!
Old 19 Aug 2011, 17:13 (Ref:2943031)   #84
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
Thanks for the information. My view is that it isn't a Touring Car, but a GT. I'm sure there may be a home for it in HSCC's Historic Road Sports category.
Old 19 Aug 2011, 18:45 (Ref:2943065)   #85
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I'd agree with that Peter, def a roadsports type car
Old 19 Aug 2011, 21:24 (Ref:2943151)   #86
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My first thoughts were that it's more of a touring car given the room inside & the overall size of the thing, but if you think about its lineage, 541 - CV8 - Interceptor/FF, the rest of the family are undoubtedly GT's.
Old 20 Aug 2011, 07:19 (Ref:2943240)   #87
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Yep!
Old 21 Aug 2011, 12:32 (Ref:2943656)   #88
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
My father had a CV8 in period and said it was the most terrifying car he ever owned - very under braked relative to its power. He also said E Types were rubbish as well so not saying he is always right...
Would be great to see one on the track and full marks to the owner for having the balls to race one!
Old 21 Aug 2011, 16:44 (Ref:2943713)   #89
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Thought there was CV8 at Silverstone pre 63
Old 21 Aug 2011, 17:24 (Ref:2943728)   #90
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Thought there was CV8 at Silverstone pre 63
Malcolm Verey's 541R?
Old 22 Aug 2011, 07:40 (Ref:2943988)   #91
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Whatever Malcolm's car was?

Don't know one from another!
Old 22 Aug 2011, 07:44 (Ref:2943989)   #92
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Don't know one from another!
Shame. I can just see you wafting about in an Interceptor!
Old 22 Aug 2011, 15:16 (Ref:2944183)   #93
Jeremy Hall
Racer

Jeremy Hall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John Webb -he of Brands Hatch - raced a Jensen in period, 541 I think I recall.
Old 22 Aug 2011, 17:47 (Ref:2944269)   #94
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
'tis the same car I believe

"Making an auspicious return to racing will be the freshly restored ex-John Webb Jensen 541R in the hands of seasoned historic racer, Malcolm Verey"

from the press release for the RDC Mallory meet earlier this year.
Old 22 Aug 2011, 17:58 (Ref:2944280)   #95
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The very car as advertised in September's Motorsport.

Mike I used to waft around in an Interceptor - the only car I've ever had with a 30 second warning low fuel light
Old 22 Aug 2011, 19:23 (Ref:2944333)   #96
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Ryan View Post
Mike I used to waft around in an Interceptor
Why am I not surprised to learn that
Old 22 Aug 2011, 19:32 (Ref:2944343)   #97
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is it coz i is an international playboy type
Old 22 Aug 2011, 21:29 (Ref:2944422)   #98
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
THere's a black interceptor round here, very nice, driven by a 70's playboy

I guess he was a playboy in the early 70's, he's probably in his 70's now

or just aged prematurely due to the price of 5*
Old 22 Aug 2011, 21:49 (Ref:2944430)   #99
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Mine was probably the most economical car I've ever owned, due to the number of miles travelled on the back of an RAC transporter.
Old 23 Aug 2011, 17:58 (Ref:2944751)   #100
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Malcolm Verey's 541R?
Yes, lovely thing and nice to see something so unusual out there.

Tags
homologation papers