Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 24 Feb 2011, 12:05 (Ref:2836132)   #1
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
HRSTR5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heading Downunder

As some forum regulars will know (or remember from my earlier thread Calling All Australians) I was planning to head Downunder to race at VHRR Phillip Island, and in the Targa Tasmania. After a lot of hiccups along the way, and despite a significant devaluation of the GBP against the AUD since I started planning, we are going ahead. The car left the UK last month, and has run the gauntlet through Revolution threatening to close the Suez Canal, and made it past the Somali Pirates, only Aussie Customs and Quaratine people to get past now, so with confidence and excitement building, the family and I are getting on a plane on Saturday.

Co-driving for me in the Targa Tasmania is fellow Forum member JFW, who flys out later.

I've set up a blog at http://tr5aus.blogspot.com there's not too much there yet, as I don't want to bore the audience before even getting to the events! During the events I will be posting regularly, and if i can work the technology then I hope to be able to load photos and in-car footage. Phillip Island is 18-20th March, and Targa is 3-11 April.

Had a huge amount of help from a number of people, but getting this adventure to come off has taken a simply hugely amount of time, stress and funnily enough a lot of cash - we will only be doing it once, and we absolutely plan to make the most of it. Wish us luck!

Very very excited!

James and the Globe-trotting TR5!
Old 24 Feb 2011, 13:00 (Ref:2836152)   #2
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good luck to you James. Not only are you going to my favourite part of the world but participating in two great events. I'm sure it will be a great experience. Glad you decided to go afterall.
Old 24 Feb 2011, 13:40 (Ref:2836172)   #3
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
J & J,

Good luck to you both, what an adventure!
Old 24 Feb 2011, 14:37 (Ref:2836192)   #4
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Look forward to seeing you at PI, James. I'm sure you will find the track to your liking.
Old 24 Feb 2011, 19:27 (Ref:2836318)   #5
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
Ha, Ha, I was right to be concerned about using the technology ... Got home today excited as my new toy has turned up ... HD in-car camera... And I genuinely cannot get it out of the box ... Ridiculously I may have to get the tool kit from the garage!!!

EB thanks for your message, come and say hello at PI.
Old 16 Mar 2011, 06:17 (Ref:2846615)   #6
hey charger
Rookie

hey charger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome Downunder! I know you'll be very, very busy, at the island, but I thought you might like to know: its very feasible to do a lap on what are currently sealed roads that made up the circuit for the first Australian Grand Prix held 1928. Basically a simple rectangle out of Cowes, the corners are still posted showing the original names - Gentle Annie, Hell Corner, Heaven Corner and Yound and Jacksons (Melbourne's best known pub) Corner. Whilst it may not be a priority for you James, and it's nothing like the buzz of today's track and facilities, I think it may be worth the 15-20 minute effort. Just a thought. Also the heritage musuem at the track is pretty interesting from a history viewpoint.

cheers
Hey Charger
Old 16 Mar 2011, 07:02 (Ref:2846618)   #7
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Has what ever you two are doing started yet.Been very quiet
Old 16 Mar 2011, 07:10 (Ref:2846619)   #8
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
James

Good luck and have fun, Don't let Jason pack too many watches!
Old 16 Mar 2011, 08:12 (Ref:2846636)   #9
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Has what ever you two are doing started yet.Been very quiet
You can follow his blog via this link - keeps you updated with his latest news:

http://tr5aus.blogspot.com/
Old 16 Mar 2011, 09:21 (Ref:2846660)   #10
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Wish you and Jason the very best of luck and look forward to reading great things about your adventure.
Old 17 Mar 2011, 09:07 (Ref:2847310)   #11
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Indeed, enjoy; a full account of racing activities and pics herewith requested!
Old 17 Mar 2011, 19:16 (Ref:2847679)   #12
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
At last...

Finally got some motorsport activity to report, so if stories of wildlife encounters or sandcastle building have turned you off the blog, it's safe to return!

Hey Charger, thanks for your comments, I found myself on part of the old GP track on my way to Cowes last night.

Really enjoyed my few laps of the circuit, a complete surprise to be out on track at all yesterday!

Zef, he does like a watch doesn't he...? One day I expect to see him playing the 'Postwar spiv' at Goodwood, except his armful will be real ones!
Old 17 Mar 2011, 19:40 (Ref:2847695)   #13
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
James I dont do all this blogging melarky. Whats going on. When are you starting. Is the car ok.What about some pictures.
Old 17 Mar 2011, 20:21 (Ref:2847729)   #14
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
James I dont do all this blogging melarky. Whats going on. When are you starting. Is the car ok.What about some pictures.
Iain, pretend it's a thread on another forum - just click the link and read
Old 18 Mar 2011, 15:47 (Ref:2848178)   #15
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRSTR5 View Post
Zef, he does like a watch doesn't he...? One day I expect to see him playing the 'Postwar spiv' at Goodwood, except his armful will be real ones!
I've never seen him dressed that smart
Old 20 Mar 2011, 20:06 (Ref:2850197)   #16
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
Great weekend

A great weekend - despite car issues that affected performance and stopped me from running on one day of the weekend. This is a fabulous circuit, and it just gets better the more you get on the pace! Long corners (think Corum, Snett) more elevation than you'll have realised from tv footage (think Cadwell) and fast! Alongside Spa at the top of my favourites.

I am doing a fuller report on my blog, hope you'll take the time to follow me there: http://tr5aus.blogspot.com

Hope everyone went well at Donington today.
Old 20 Mar 2011, 21:14 (Ref:2850239)   #17
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
When you say "bit grumpy James " is that like Nurburgring grumpy or not quite so bad.
Old 21 Mar 2011, 13:47 (Ref:2850576)   #18
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
Quote:
When you say "bit grumpy James " is that like Nurburgring grumpy or not quite so bad.
Australia is further than Nurburgring, what do you reckon...?!

Can anyone recommend likely photographers who might have got some good shots over the weekend?
Old 31 Mar 2011, 07:08 (Ref:2856225)   #19
hey charger
Rookie

hey charger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi James,
Have seen some of rocket no.38 - still a little early for ALL pics to be uploaded, and it's awfully difficult to get that "perfect" quintessential Phillip Island shot, but try

Steve Duggan's
www.sdpics.com ( worth navigating through, comprehensive coverage - "record shots")

Also
www.vhrr.com (under photos - partic. Chris Carter John Lemm)

Previously Peter Ellenbogen has had plenty photos, not 2011 yet tho'
www.flickr.com/photos/peterellenbogen/collections

Also quite likeable is catchfence photos www.catchfencephotos.net - a good site for motor racing snappers generally, but we are unlikely to see ourselves there unless we barrel roll or something spectacular

Good luck, patience is a virtue. Don't be hesitant to email photographers .

Hey Charger
Old 31 Mar 2011, 19:22 (Ref:2856494)   #20
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
Thanks Hey Charger, I'll take a look at those sites.

I also found time whilst at PI to drive the old circuit as you suggested, must have been quick, and I assume it would have been as narrow and bumpy as it is now!

TARGA update: car is sorted after PI maladies. Jason (JFW on 10/10ths) is about to get off the plane in Melbourne, and we get on the Spirit of Tasmania ferry tonight. Very excited! Will keep the blog updated assuming I have wifi connection.
Old 1 Apr 2011, 07:38 (Ref:2856664)   #21
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi James I have only 2 pics of your car from PI, pm an email addy and I'll send them.

Re the post on your blog about the Regularities there have normally been 2 fields so not the same speed differentials.

Good luck with the Targa, should be a lot of fun. There are lot of things to see & do there if you have time after it is over too.
Old 1 Apr 2011, 10:02 (Ref:2856725)   #22
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TR5

I noticed a "new" TR5 out there a few times...glad you enjoyed your first time at PI (pssssst don't tell anyone else what a great little layout it is will you )
Old 11 Apr 2011, 14:33 (Ref:2861925)   #23
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
Targa Tasmania - simply awesome! We finished, we got medals. We met target times on every single stage to earn ourselves a Targa Trophy, by no means a common occurrence for rookies like us.

Car is exhausted, but should make it back to Melbourne for shipping. Jason and I are tired too, but we're not complaining! The event has turned out to be much harder than we ever imagined, or had been told, but that just makes completing the event that much mor satisfying.

Don't know when we'll get back here, but I'd love too. If I could I'd take two days to repair the car, and then go through it all over again!
Old 11 Apr 2011, 14:47 (Ref:2861933)   #24
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Great stuff James!.. Glad you (and Jason) survived, along with the car. Im sure they are just cuts and bruises on the car that will heal will time and a bit of effort.

Hope 'La familia Owen' enjoyed it as much as you did, and no doubt the memories will stick around and be told to future Owen generations in due course! The Targa medals are indeed a great achievment that many dont get to collect, so congrats on winning them.

Wishing you a safe return to Blighty. Then you just have to cope with the return to work after so long away. Good to have met up at PI. Maybe do so again in the Northern hemisphere at some time in the future.
Cheers
Chris A.

Last edited by E.B; 11 Apr 2011 at 15:01.
Old 11 Apr 2011, 18:10 (Ref:2862032)   #25
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRSTR5 View Post
Targa Tasmania - simply awesome! We finished, we got medals. We met target times on every single stage to earn ourselves a Targa Trophy, by no means a common occurrence for rookies like us.

Car is exhausted, but should make it back to Melbourne for shipping. Jason and I are tired too, but we're not complaining! The event has turned out to be much harder than we ever imagined, or had been told, but that just makes completing the event that much mor satisfying.

Don't know when we'll get back here, but I'd love too. If I could I'd take two days to repair the car, and then go through it all over again!
What a pair of Namby's. I think you need to enroll on the Delta racing drivers fitness programme. But very happy for you James.