Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 28 Mar 2013, 02:13 (Ref:3225830)   #1
fordo
Racer

fordo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NZ Historic Touring Cars at Lakeside ?

Given that there are 8 NZ Historic Muscle Cars coming over in June/July for a Trans Tasman event against the Aussie Trans Ams, I was wondering Who and When there would have been several similar style cars from NZ racing at Lakeside?
Only ones I can think of would be Paul Fahey (car in Bowden Collection), maybe the Late Rod Coppins and Red Dawson in about 1968 - 70ish competing against Beechey, Jane, Geoghegan and co.

That is the era I am thinking of with those particular Australian Drivers in the field. However there may have been some Kiwis in later years that came over to Australia like Don Halliday in the NZ Built Cologne Capri, Coppins in the Camaro etc but I don't think they came up to Lakeside to run.
Very interested to find out if anyone can satisfy my curiousity.
Thanks in advance

Tony
Old 28 Mar 2013, 09:40 (Ref:3225917)   #2
xrystl
Racer

Pitcairn Islands
gold coast
xrystl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jim Richards came over in the early seventies (from memory) with the Sidchrome Mustang , looked much the same as Moffat's Trans am but was running a 351 (built by Murray Bunn) .
Don't know if this helps you.
Old 28 Mar 2013, 21:08 (Ref:3226166)   #3
fordo
Racer

fordo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cheers xrystl. Yes Jim did. Car has just been restored in NZ. They are trying to identify the NZ based drivers who just came over for a few events. Rod Coppins, Dennis Marwood and Don Halliday were 3 that came over together in the 70's but were only in the southern states. Did not come to Lakeside on that trip. Paul Fahey with the Shelby Mustang which is now in the Bowden collection, made several trips to Lakeside, Rod Coppins was definitely with him in 67.