Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 5 May 2015, 13:21 (Ref:3534329)   #51
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Second batch from the pre-War race:-
Attached Thumbnails
GJC_4905.jpg   GJC_4980.jpg   GJC_5010.jpg  

GJC_5027.jpg   GJC_5058.jpg   XT013984.jpg  

Old 5 May 2015, 13:25 (Ref:3534331)   #52
Normal Bloke
Rookie

Normal Bloke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
Don't get me started Grant! Noticed that myself. Must be a lot of magazines out there waiting to be published.
Horse and Hound.......Bedford on Sunday........Farmers' Weekly......

I'm not joking, by-the-way!
Old 5 May 2015, 13:42 (Ref:3534337)   #53
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Don't get me started Grant! Noticed that myself. Must be a lot of magazines out there waiting to be published.
I saw many of the regulars for Donington and those who cover the bigger meetings/Historic events. But there were many more I didn't recognise and many older gentlemen which was slightly unusual.
Old 5 May 2015, 13:54 (Ref:3534339)   #54
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Humour on track. Click to see it larger.
Attached Thumbnails
600px70pct_Donington_HistFest_2015_IMG_5560.jpg  
Old 5 May 2015, 15:40 (Ref:3534364)   #55
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I never saw a historic 'regular' tog but I did stay down around the inside of Craners all day, hence the lack of different shots.
I like the event but feel it could be so much better, I suspect money is still a huge issue at the circuit. I picked which day to visit using the timetable months ago, happy with the races but quite a few entries from the published lists failed to appear on track ?
Still the ticket was only £10 with the help of a friend who is a member of a car club and I did know what to expect regarding the infield, food prices etc

A couple of random batches from my day, paddock, qualifying and lunch break:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1832.jpg   IMG_2142.jpg   IMG_2164.jpg  

IMG_2252.jpg   IMG_2415.jpg   IMG_2443.jpg  

Old 5 May 2015, 15:45 (Ref:3534366)   #56
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Comments below written and shared on TNF before reading what is here (with one edit).

So, what to make of DHF 2015 ?

Having dipped into various days of previous editions (it's a busy weekend for various reasons), I decided to go all three days this year - driving up from Milton Keynes each day with, variously, my father and two sons.

DP was my local circuit having been there at the first (post-war) meeting in 1977 and I do have an affection for the fabulous parkland setting and flowing track. Sadly, for entirely understandable reasons, we now have fences and are further back from the track, which restricts the opportunities for taking unrestricted photographs.

I guess I am not sure what, or who, the DHF is for. If I was a driver, I'd certainly enjoy racing at Donington - but I don't know how it ranks in terms of cost of competing. As a car club member, it is a very reasonable day (or three) out with a chance to meet up with like-minded enthusiasts with a nice backdrop and racing cars, at a reasonable cost.

For the spectator (who seemed to be noticeably fewer on the ground on Monday), to see all the racing it was three long days - even more so for the ever-faithful marshalls, to whom we, as ever, extend our heartfelt thanks. Its not the Silverstone Classic (nor, perhaps, does it seek to be). It's not the Goodwood Members Meeting or Revival (ditto).

We all enjoyed the event; although as highlighted above, it perhaps could be a tighter two day event - some of the races had disappointingly small grids / no shows. I don't get too worked up about continuation cars, preferring to see fast cars raced hard (but I do understand those for whom this is an issue).

Commentary was generally good, but going solo with no view of the Old Hairpin, McLeans and the Chicane means we witnessed race changing moments and Russell Douglas (?) had no idea. He has my sympathies. It is a shame a second microphone was not used to provide some light and shade - there were capable people there. HHF was his usual feversome self in the pit lane.

There was no TV or big screens - I do understand there are cost implications - but it would add to the spectator and commentator experience.

Will we go next year ? Yes, I suspect so; depending on the TNF Film Show, the end of the football season (a particular disappoinment on Saturday assuaged by thunderous T70s into the dusk) and whatever else is on.

Perhaps it is the people's festival - no dressing up and school houses, it isn't miles to get around, there is one paddock and there are still some views of the cars sans fencing.

I'd be interested in other views ...

Now how do I get one of those nice blue Media bibs to improve my photography ?
(EDIT - where's the address of the Milton Keynes Gazette and Star ...)
Old 5 May 2015, 15:47 (Ref:3534368)   #57
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Enjoyed the Jag race, the leading E types had a good battle for a while and the battling MK1s were entertaining. Impressed by the pace of the lead driver in the #34 Alfa in the last race. No queue for the tunnel at the end of the meeting was a welcome bonus

A batch from the races:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2543.jpg   IMG_2613.jpg   IMG_2627.jpg  

IMG_2765.jpg   IMG_2837.jpg   IMG_2862.jpg  

Old 5 May 2015, 16:02 (Ref:3534380)   #58
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A few from the second Super Touring Car Trophy. Seemed to be a lot of gravel at the chicane by the end of this race for some reason.

Shot through fencing so not too clear - apologies for that.
Attached Thumbnails
GJC_5074.jpg   GJC_5099.jpg   GJC_5109.jpg  

GJC_5117.jpg   GJC_5158.jpg   GJC_5173.jpg  

Old 5 May 2015, 16:17 (Ref:3534387)   #59
retrognome
Racer

retrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Experienced all four seasons in one weekend. Saturday afternoon was miserable, drizzle and a north wind, then Sunday morning, just heavy rain. Luckily things picked up during the afternoon and most of Monday was positively summer. It rained ten minutes after the last race. We have published reports and image galleries at www.retro-speed.co.uk/galleries.asp Most media were gone by Monday so they missed some good racing.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0556_2.JPG   DSC_1346_2.JPG   DSC_1237_2.JPG  

DSC_1242.JPG   DSC_1240.JPG  
Old 5 May 2015, 21:35 (Ref:3534509)   #60
Brynmor
Rookie

Brynmor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wandered along on Sunday courtesy of a MotorSport competition having not been for years...oddly couldn't give my second ticket away despite offering to twenty or so people in the car park...

Hadn't been to Donny since 2001 and wasn't sure what to expect, I suppose i'm somewhat spoiled with Oulton offering very good viewing and a lack of high fencing...i'd forgotten Donington suffers this affliction, for that reason I spent most of the Sunday in the paddock, chatting to people and checking out build standards on Mini's...

The entry list was down, I know several cars suffered build issues in the run up, including at least one M3....the entry there reminded me of a Gold Cup ten years ago...don't get me started on how that peach of an event has lost it's way in my opinion .....

Would I go back, if i'm honest not in a hurry, the viewing just wasn't great and it all seemed a bit lacking in atmosphere. Oddly Silverstone Classic despite it's size seems to manage to capture an atmosphere somehow
Old 5 May 2015, 22:14 (Ref:3534527)   #61
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynmor View Post

Would I go back, if i'm honest not in a hurry, the viewing just wasn't great and it all seemed a bit lacking in atmosphere. Oddly Silverstone Classic despite it's size seems to manage to capture an atmosphere somehow
There are certain places out around the circuit where the viewing is rather good - in one or two cases that is despite the fencing!

Some of the best places are a bit of a trek currently but the journey times should be much improved once the infield is re-opened when complete.

In fact having the infield available once more should provide other opportunities to expand the concept and get closer to being where the circuit was 10 years ago.

I enjoyed the Silverstone Classic for a couple of years but the circuit redevelopment and the Wing concept are not my favourite changes to the place and so it has slipped off my list of favoured events.

On the other hand I can understand how it might appeal to the competitors it sets out to attract.

It would be nice if Donington could build up to something similar in its own way.
Old 5 May 2015, 23:34 (Ref:3534553)   #62
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Best car (toy?) at the meeting.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Fancy telling us to go as fast as we could for the Super Tourers pace laps. I bet they don't say that at Silverstone.

Old 6 May 2015, 06:12 (Ref:3534608)   #63
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chigley View Post

Fancy telling us to go as fast as we could for the Super Tourers pace laps. I bet they don't say that at Silverstone.

I take my hat off to the organisers for getting a British car! Donington, you are forgiven everything- or was it the JHC race that swung it? No diesel Masertati this time then, Ian.....
Old 6 May 2015, 08:26 (Ref:3534650)   #64
The Flagman
Racer

The Flagman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting reading the post-event comments. Sentiments I share entirely.
I was flagging on Post 39 (Chicane Exit) over the weekend - yes 33.5 hrs in 3 days for no pay! Well we did get a tenner each day signing on money but at Donny prices that didn't go far. Half hour lunch break each day meant very little time to visit the paddock and spend money on overpriced regalia.

I was a bit unwell so didn't expect to manage all three days but I did and there was plenty to keep me busy - mostly chicane related. I felt I had a splendid weekend. Others will tell you more about my actual performance.

Observations - the programme was a nightmare - unable to find the right pages - title graphics too large, entrants font too small and running into the page margins - very odd. Obviously went to press whilst drumming up entries as there were many many amendments. What happened to the little removable race card that is so much better. I found the stuff I printed off the website far more useful. At least mine was free - £7 ouch.

Atmosphere - lacking in every respect. Car clubs seemed uninterested and did not commit. Space reserved behind the post for Lotus, XJS's and Abarth. Only XJS's turned up all weekend so space was wasted.
Consumable prices - eye watering but we marshalling folk always negotiate and end up with better prices than less flamboyantly dressed people!
There was some very memorable racing - two fine F2 races amongst them. Mondays first race was a complete drag.

I guess the way the grids were sold determines the order of races hence the 'HSCC direct' Juniors found themselves racing at odd times.

Doninton infield is still a nightmare. Some long term layout issues. Looks more as if its being set up for Music Festivals than infield viewing - and they enjoy mud. Ordinary punters had a long walk from the car park and nowhere to shelter around the track. There were a good few on Sat/Sun but fewer Monday. Probably not a good customer experience.

Lets face it this meeting is at best League Division Two and has a long way to go to emulate the Classic. Probably more worthy if it respects that and keeps its place in the market. (As mentioned elsewhere the Gold Cup has slipped to a glorified clubbie and I've stopped going after two decades in a row.)

There is merit to the meeting in its present form but very few folk stayed beyond 17.30 so may have felt they paid for events they couldn't access. Lets have less of the late finish nonsense.

So a mixed experience. Will I be there next year? Probably.
Old 6 May 2015, 09:11 (Ref:3534665)   #65
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

I've been asked to sort out a safety car driver for the Saturday at Silverstone. I'll see if your wheelman from Thruxton is up for it. You'll probably have to go at a fairly decent lick for the DBT rolling start.
Old 6 May 2015, 12:29 (Ref:3534701)   #66
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
As far as toys you covert.

Be smart!

Have the Pilkington Pre War Talbot Largo , flog it and then buy what you want!

Alternative is one of those Jag C or D types!
Old 6 May 2015, 12:33 (Ref:3534703)   #67
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I prefer this type of meeting to the Classic which tries to be something it really isnt, Coys.

Goodwood is the best event to watch at and be at, but both are rather expensive for what they are but at least the Classic you are going to see racing rather than a rather well connected man driving a lovely car very slowly up someones driveway for 60 quid thanks!

Donington is a nice track, beter viewing, better many things. Far, far cheaper to get in, easier to get around.

But you dont get bands, pointless stuff noone cares about but that you have to pay for as you cant opt out.

I guess the market must warrant it as it would not keep happening, but for me these events are a onece a year deal, and therefore high prices kee me away from Silverstone adn Goodwood.
Old 6 May 2015, 13:22 (Ref:3534726)   #68
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flagman View Post

Doninton infield is still a nightmare. Some long term layout issues. Looks more as if its being set up for Music Festivals than infield viewing - and they enjoy mud. Ordinary punters had a long walk from the car park and nowhere to shelter around the track. There were a good few on Sat/Sun but fewer Monday. Probably not a good customer experience.

Lets face it this meeting is at best League Division Two and has a long way to go to emulate the Classic. Probably more worthy if it respects that and keeps its place in the market. (As mentioned elsewhere the Gold Cup has slipped to a glorified clubbie and I've stopped going after two decades in a row.)

To be fair, the infield is still work in progress after the Gillet fiasco and there is investment each winter. It is not used for the music festivals - they take place outside of the circuit boundaries.

Premier Div content and facilities cost Prem Div money, and that puts people off. Maybe it has found its level? It did try to add in other attractions like the Rallying with Group B, and a Dakota & Spitfire display, and a Jet Provost fly past.

Must admit I didnt go, though, despite only living down the road. The main reason was because each of the races I really wanted to see were on different days. If they had been on the same day I would have gone, but what I want to see isn't necessarily what others want!
Old 6 May 2015, 14:35 (Ref:3534756)   #69
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
And again, the security guys controlling the chicane area were a little OTT and shouty, totally unnecessary, and I gave one my four penneth when he gobbed off at me as I went near a car doing at least 1mph!!
Aren't they always?
No matter where
Quote:
Would definitely go back, and for me historic racing needs to think about fans a bit too, long races are dull to watch, a lot of stuff is in and out the paddock each day so you think you might see one thing and you find out later it is racing tomorrow.
Why bother with fans? at a thousand quid an entry........

And 'T' at the Delta Truck spot on as usual, Cheers Iain
Old 6 May 2015, 16:16 (Ref:3534796)   #70
ralt-racer
Racer

ralt-racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

I wish they had said that while I was driving :/ good fun all the same thanks again Ian

Benn
Old 6 May 2015, 18:40 (Ref:3534861)   #71
brands
Veteran

The best part of the Classic for me, is the access to the cars in all the garages and paddocks. Wandering through the Wing and National garages on a Friday, spotting gems, chatting to a driver or crew member, having the space and time to look at the detail of the cars are the highlights of the event.
Most of the occupied garages at Donington on Monday were rammed and felt unwelcoming. The cars in the paddock did have some decent access.
As much as I like the cars running at the Revival I can only stick one day and prefer to watch the racing on the excellent live stream.

I wish Donington well in sorting out the infield etc but fear it will be another five years before I can watch from where the spark plug used to be.
Old 6 May 2015, 21:17 (Ref:3534916)   #72
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i'm surprised to hear complaints about security - they literally could not have been more helpful to me on monday morning at stupid o'clock. if i knew the guy in questions name i'd be contacting donington with some praise.

aside from the cars (which i am no expert on but enjoy seeing all the same), those bmc transporters gave me the feels. what fantastic vehicles, and so beautifully kept. i loved the pre-war cars too - they either sound like cross channel ferries or mopeds and frankly i don't understand how they make it round a corner let alone hold a race. brilliant things, each one a credit to its owner.

the circuit itself is slowly returning to its former glory, but the sooner they can jazz up the paddock space the better. flooding (but very clean) loos, no electrical hookups in the main space, it feels very... neglected.
Old 6 May 2015, 23:22 (Ref:3534949)   #73
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I wish they had said that while I was driving :/ good fun all the same thanks again Ian
Ahhh but you're a rocket propelled hooligan, the clerks know you too well.
Old 7 May 2015, 08:07 (Ref:3535059)   #74
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I prefer this type of meeting to the Classic which tries to be something it really isnt, Coys.

But you dont get bands, pointless stuff noone cares about but that you have to pay for as you cant opt out.

I guess the market must warrant it as it would not keep happening, but for me these events are a onece a year deal, and therefore high prices kee me away from Silverstone adn Goodwood.
Yup, nigh on 100,000 people at each event disagree with you...............I suppose we need to be thankful that motor sport can be all things to all men. Perhaps this event needs to ensure slightly lower prices and better value to compete with newcomers like the Combe Autumn Classic (sorry to bash on about Combe, but any circuit needing to see how to do it right over the long term need only look at their regular crowds and weep!). It's not Silverstone Classic, so don't pretend to be and most importantly don't price it that way.
Old 12 May 2015, 01:52 (Ref:3536617)   #75
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

A little messing around with some marginal pics produced this.

Suitably aged?

Click for larger version.
Attached Thumbnails
750px_Donington_HistFest_2015_IMG_5715.jpg