Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 13 Jul 2017, 08:20 (Ref:3750868)   #1
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Mildura working on a track

Mildura council is wanting to expand on the existing drag strip and go to a motor sports park: Mildura meeting

There is a kart track at Mildura too but I'm not sure where it is in relation to the drag strip or proposed park area.

Info from CAMS here: linky
Old 13 Jul 2017, 10:21 (Ref:3750888)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
With the Kellys & Mr Waters from that part of the world, the need for speed shines brightly in Mildura
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 14 Jul 2017, 11:43 (Ref:3751145)   #3
coln72
Racer

coln72 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice to see a council supporting Motorsport. Unlike some
Old 14 Jul 2017, 21:10 (Ref:3751285)   #4
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't see John Kelly reaching too deep into his pockets for anything less than a 10000% return on investment
Old 18 Jul 2017, 07:05 (Ref:3752321)   #5
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Airport Café looks OK...

http://milduraairport.com.au/mildura-airport-cafe/
Old 19 Jul 2017, 06:49 (Ref:3752695)   #6
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Sitting in a 'motel' in Mildura as I type this - LOL
Old 8 Sep 2018, 04:45 (Ref:3848805)   #7
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

Looking for a patron....

$22m down, $8m back of the $22m, if you can wait up to 30 years
Old 9 Sep 2018, 05:34 (Ref:3848990)   #8
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Can't imagine Winton would be loving that idea?
Old 9 Sep 2018, 06:04 (Ref:3848991)   #9
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Can't imagine Winton would be loving that idea?
Bathurst is about the same distance to Winton, than what Winton is to Mildura.

Last edited by chavez; 9 Sep 2018 at 06:10.
Old 9 Sep 2018, 07:02 (Ref:3848995)   #10
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Let's see if it happens first - gonna need more than the figure they are quoting - just look at the $110m spent at Tailem Bend
Old 10 Sep 2018, 04:25 (Ref:3849136)   #11
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
Bathurst is about the same distance to Winton, than what Winton is to Mildura.
Wheres as Tailem Bend is 3.5hrs down the road from Mildura.
Old 10 Sep 2018, 09:36 (Ref:3849156)   #12
spook
Veteran

spook should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Let's see if it happens first - gonna need more than the figure they are quoting - just look at the $110m spent at Tailem Bend
A big chunk of that $110M would have gone into the 100 bed hotel - not something that Mildura have in mind as far as I am aware.

Before TB the last circuit built was QR - it cost $9.3M in 1999, which in todays dollars is around $22M, so to build a 3.2km track with equivalent facilities would cost the same (excluding land cost) as a ball park estimate.

What the EOI will do is tell the council how much of the building cost they will have to wear to get an investor on board. A very necessary step.
Old 10 Sep 2018, 10:05 (Ref:3849158)   #13
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by spook View Post
A big chunk of that $110M would have gone into the 100 bed hotel - not something that Mildura have in mind as far as I am aware.

Before TB the last circuit built was QR - it cost $9.3M in 1999, which in todays dollars is around $22M, so to build a 3.2km track with equivalent facilities would cost the same (excluding land cost) as a ball park estimate.

What the EOI will do is tell the council how much of the building cost they will have to wear to get an investor on board. A very necessary step.
And yet QR still doesn’t have pit garages....
Old 10 Sep 2018, 10:18 (Ref:3849159)   #14
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
And yet QR still doesn’t have pit garages....
Although it DOES have garages, so the money or the contra deal was there to get them built - they just didn't build them in the right place.
Old 10 Sep 2018, 10:27 (Ref:3849162)   #15
spook
Veteran

The carports in QR Pit Lane built by the current leaseholder provide more than adequate facilities for 50 weeks of the year. Why would you spend millions to provide facilities for only 2 weekends of the year.

Back in 1999, there was no requirement from CAMS or Supercars to have Pit Lane Garages - they were happy with the decision to build the garages in the paddock at the time.

Not that this has anything to do with the proposed Mildura Motorsport Precinct.

Last edited by spook; 10 Sep 2018 at 10:34. Reason: Getting back on the subject....
Old 10 Sep 2018, 11:35 (Ref:3849169)   #16
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It shows that we have a pretty low standard at times, for what constitutes a state of the art facility.
Old 11 Sep 2018, 11:16 (Ref:3849358)   #17
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
It shows that we have a pretty low standard at times, for what constitutes a state of the art facility.
Australian tracks with no exceptions apart from the F1 track can all be described with 4 letters CR*P. I cannot understand the thinking that goes on before construction starts because the track will only prosper if the spectators find the place nice to be at.
Old 11 Sep 2018, 13:11 (Ref:3849380)   #18
spook
Veteran

No track in Australia can be sustained with spectators as a primary revenue source - that business model peaked in the 1960's and died in the late 80's. Permanent circuits now rely on user pays business models in various forms.
Old 11 Sep 2018, 13:31 (Ref:3849388)   #19
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
No track in Australia can be sustained with spectators as a primary revenue source - that business model peaked in the 1960's and died in the late 80's. Permanent circuits now rely on user pays business models in various forms.
I have been to most tracks in Oz as both a competitor and spectator and they are all CR*P. No one has tried to attract spectators with good modern facilities to test the concept and when we lined the track at OP in the thousands our expectations of what to expect except good racing were pretty damned low in every respect. These days if you want to attract good crowds provide more than dirt and no trees and people might come. I understand what you are saying but it does not change the treatment of spectators.
Old 11 Sep 2018, 20:27 (Ref:3849476)   #20
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
I have been to most tracks in Oz as both a competitor and spectator and they are all CR*P. No one has tried to attract spectators with good modern facilities to test the concept and when we lined the track at OP in the thousands our expectations of what to expect except good racing were pretty damned low in every respect. These days if you want to attract good crowds provide more than dirt and no trees and people might come. I understand what you are saying but it does not change the treatment of spectators.
who pays mate? - Have you heard of the concept of "return of investment"

The ONLY event that attracts crowd are Supercars and maybe that idiotic 'burnout' competition. The level of series below Supercars is non-existent - you can't attract honey with dog-****

Spend hundreds of thousands of dollars for one event per year, the waning Supercars series - get real will ya
Old 11 Sep 2018, 20:38 (Ref:3849480)   #21
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Quote:
No track in Australia can be sustained with spectators as a primary revenue source .......... Permanent circuits now rely on user pays business models in various forms.
100% correct

All the levels below Supercars and some support series of Supercars are 'hobby' racers, they do it for a hobby, a bloody expensive hobby - there is no financially viable series below Supercars that a number of people can get an income from - hence the lack of competition for Supercars

People expect ALL series of motorsport to put on a show like Supercars - won't happen

They are HOBBY racers, with real jobs to support their hobby

I am constantly amazed at the level of discussion by some who post here and call themselves 'motorsport enthusiasts' - many have no idea of the inner workings or of reality
Old 13 Sep 2018, 04:46 (Ref:3849770)   #22
Casper
Veteran

Quote:
100% correct

All the levels below Supercars and some support series of Supercars are 'hobby' racers, they do it for a hobby, a bloody expensive hobby - there is no financially viable series below Supercars that a number of people can get an income from - hence the lack of competition for Supercars

People expect ALL series of motorsport to put on a show like Supercars - won't happen

They are HOBBY racers, with real jobs to support their hobby

I am constantly amazed at the level of discussion by some who post here and call themselves 'motorsport enthusiasts' - many have no idea of the inner workings or of reality
I am sorry to question your obvious superior business skills. As someone who has been a decades long competitor and owned more than one business in my life it is called developing the market not building to the existing market which is exactly what Supercars did initially. Every track is being built to a damned low standard with no intent to expand the spectator numbers which seems to be a defeatist attitude before they even start. Have a good day.
Old 13 Sep 2018, 04:49 (Ref:3849772)   #23
Casper
Veteran

Quote:
who pays mate? - Have you heard of the concept of "return of investment"

The ONLY event that attracts crowd are Supercars and maybe that idiotic 'burnout' competition. The level of series below Supercars is non-existent - you can't attract honey with dog-****

Spend hundreds of thousands of dollars for one event per year, the waning Supercars series - get real will ya
Typical dead end thinking, why do you think the numbers have dropped so far, because the tracks are CR*P and people do not want to go there to experience the lack of facilities.
Old 13 Sep 2018, 05:17 (Ref:3849774)   #24
spook
Veteran

With your extensive motorsport and business experience, can you tell us what is the average cost per spectator to cover setup costs - catering, security, parking, Police, toilets, garbage collection and disposal & ticketing ?. Just a ballpark figure will do for this discussion.
Old 13 Sep 2018, 05:42 (Ref:3849776)   #25
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
I am sorry to question your obvious superior business skills. As someone who has been a decades long competitor and owned more than one business in my life it is called developing the market not building to the existing market which is exactly what Supercars did initially. Every track is being built to a damned low standard with no intent to expand the spectator numbers which seems to be a defeatist attitude before they even start. Have a good day.
As a racer you don't appear to know much. Is it up to the track to canvas numbers or does that sit with the category manager? - just curiois, coz you would know coz you are a racer

If you want to talk small stuff like club meets then it is up to the track to try to attract numbers, but if you want to attract National or State categories then tracks need to negotiate with category managers. I have seen plenty of times first hand where category mangers have promised BIG numbers and on the day (weekend) either failed to attend at all (yes at all) or with significantly reduced numbers from what was promised. Even the 'god' of motorsport CAMS fail to attract numbers at times - tell me why the numbers aren't appearing? I can tell you first hand it nothing to do with the 'race track' although I will grant that some tracks will attract more numbers than others due to their proximity to large populations or they are seen as a significant 'international' or 'national' track they peoples ego dictate that they must race on (Tailem Bend will be one of those for a while)

and for the record I have been an active participant in the running of a track and have been a club level competitor as well as volunteering my time to be an official