Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Nov 2005, 18:37 (Ref:1463367)   #1
Frank_White
Racer

Frank_White should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gary Paffett's F1 test at the end of November 2005!

I'd like to see Gary run with Pedro De la Rosa and Lewis Hamilton over the two days of his test to see who will be the fastest.

I'm sure most people in the F1 industry would be curious as well.
Old 17 Nov 2005, 22:24 (Ref:1463552)   #2
Ginetta
Racer

England
North East
Ginetta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm just Glad that Gary has got a go in a contemporary F1 car
Old 17 Nov 2005, 23:42 (Ref:1463625)   #3
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Indeed.
Old 18 Nov 2005, 00:53 (Ref:1463672)   #4
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm confused - Gary Paffett is testing at the end of November?
Old 18 Nov 2005, 00:57 (Ref:1463677)   #5
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry, I've checked the ITV site and he is. Ignore my comment above.
Old 18 Nov 2005, 12:36 (Ref:1464054)   #6
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Pedro should be the fastest at first, as he has so much experience of the car, and of F1 cars in general. Gary really needs to outperform Lewis to retain the reputation boost (from an F1 perspective) that he gained by winning the DTM.
Old 18 Nov 2005, 12:41 (Ref:1464059)   #7
Ginetta
Racer

England
North East
Has it been anounced where the test will take place
Old 18 Nov 2005, 13:37 (Ref:1464110)   #8
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
http://news.google.co.uk/news?hl=en&...st&sa=N&tab=wn
Barcelona.
Old 18 Nov 2005, 13:43 (Ref:1464113)   #9
Ginetta
Racer

England
North East
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
Thank you
Old 21 Nov 2005, 16:25 (Ref:1466615)   #10
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Paffett says Mac & Merc are taking the test seriously, as he is of course...I'll judge it by wether they give him an obsolete V10 or the V8.
Old 21 Nov 2005, 19:29 (Ref:1466749)   #11
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Lewis does have an advantage in that he tested the Mclaren at a similar time last year at Silverstone and i understand he is one of the few people who has been driving the Mclaren F1 simulator.
Old 22 Nov 2005, 12:06 (Ref:1467366)   #12
insideline
Rookie

England
insideline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Think we can only wish Gary Good luck and hope it leads to something permenent. He deserves it IMO
Old 22 Nov 2005, 12:29 (Ref:1467390)   #13
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennen
Paffett says Mac & Merc are taking the test seriously, as he is of course...I'll judge it by wether they give him an obsolete V10 or the V8.
Surely they'd want to see how quick he is with the V1O?
Old 22 Nov 2005, 13:28 (Ref:1467451)   #14
youngoldy
Racer

United Kingdom
Somewhereorotherville
youngoldy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
About time we had some new British talent in F1, the last was Davidson, I'm sure he has it, but has not really had time to prove it in a year race seat, not on weds and watching from the sidelines onsat and sun.

Paffett I think will take abit getting used to the cockpit of a single seater, as Hamilton has been racing them since he left karting.

But anyway, WILL be intresting to see what happens.

Don't go too slow Pedro, two younguns' right behind you!
Old 22 Nov 2005, 13:42 (Ref:1467457)   #15
insideline
Rookie

England

Last edited by insideline; 22 Nov 2005 at 13:44. Reason: Sorry posted this on the wrong thread, Don't know how that happened
Old 22 Nov 2005, 14:19 (Ref:1467488)   #16
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Gary's done plenty of single-seater racing in the past though, up to a similar level to lewis, so it should only takle him a few laps more to get back in tune with them - especially as DTM cars are more powerful than anything Lewis has raced. Rennen, there may be no point using a V8 if the team are short of testing data on how they perform, or on reliability - using the V10 at least gives them a solid platform upon which to measure all 3 drivers, especially as the V10 has been raced at Barcelona in the past.
Old 22 Nov 2005, 14:20 (Ref:1467491)   #17
Frank_White
Racer

So much for the matchups that i had hoped to see. The following is the Mclaren test schedule for November and December. Gary Paffett is testing a total of 4 times. Lewis Hamilton is not testing at all.

Barcelona
November 28 - Alex and Gary Paffett
November 29 - Pedro and Alex

Barcelona
December 1 - Pedro and Juan Pablo
December 2 - Juan Pablo and Gary Paffett

Jerez
December 7 - Pedro and Gary Paffett
December 8 - Alex and Gary Paffett
December 9 - Alex and Pedro
December 10 - Alex and Pedro

Jerez
December 13 - Pedro and tbc
December 14 - Pedro and Juan Pablo
December 15 - Juan Pablo and tbc

I personally think that it is unfair and out of line with the other F1 teams and their driver development programs that Hamilton is not getting any real testing in the Mclaren.

Its practically silly.
Old 22 Nov 2005, 15:02 (Ref:1467521)   #18
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_White
I personally think that it is unfair and out of line with the other F1 teams and their driver development programs that Hamilton is not getting any real testing in the Mclaren. Its practically silly.
Seems to be completely in line with recent BAR policy on testing actually
Old 22 Nov 2005, 15:29 (Ref:1467533)   #19
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Lewis has asked not to do F1 testing at this stage, because he's focused on GP2, apparently.

Which is sensible.

He knows his long term future is secure, so doesn't need to rush in.
Old 22 Nov 2005, 15:31 (Ref:1467537)   #20
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The difference is that Hamilton is more likely to end up with a full time Formula one drive than any in the BAR driver development program and has been helped in his career by Mclaren, right through from Karting (or to be more specific his career has been paid for by Mclaren) They have a long term investment in Lewis. BAR appear to operate a sign as many up as possible tactic, but don't provide any concrete help. BAR end up with a few contracted drivers just in case they need one of them and the driver gets little or nothing except limited F1 testing experience. Who expects Van De Mere or Rossiter to end up in a BAR F1?. I would be very wary of hanging my hat on the BAR wagon, look at the way they have abused Davidson. The Red Bull young driver scheme is a far better and fairer system than the one BAR appear to use.
Old 22 Nov 2005, 15:35 (Ref:1467540)   #21
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreversideways
Who expects ... Rossiter to end up in a BAR F1?
Why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreversideways
I would be very wary of hanging my hat on the BAR wagon, look at the way they have abused Davidson.
New definition of abuse!

Plucked from F3 (which Honda may have part-funded for all I know) into travelling all the round the world, becoming reasonably famous and working driving current Grand prix cars.

That's many things, but not abuse I think.
Old 22 Nov 2005, 15:40 (Ref:1467543)   #22
insideline
Rookie

England
I think both Lewis and Paffett have to becareful they don't end up like the other Mercedes hopeful from a few years ago. Nick Heidfeld
Old 22 Nov 2005, 15:45 (Ref:1467548)   #23
Swiss
Racer

United Kingdom
Hampshire
Swiss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Correct me of I'm wrong but Mr Heidfeld after this season is a driver who at least for the next two seasons safe with a drive in F1 with BMW ?!?!?! So whilst he may not have made an impact with McLaren or Mercedes they will now be careful of carelessy disposing of talent prematurely. McLaren of course are currently a stronger force than BMW so they have a greater pull and in theory a greater choice so time will tell.
Old 22 Nov 2005, 15:48 (Ref:1467551)   #24
Frank_White
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Lewis has asked not to do F1 testing at this stage, because he's focused on GP2, apparently.

Which is sensible.

He knows his long term future is secure, so doesn't need to rush in.
Well, in that case Kicking-Back, I stand corrected.

However, i'm extremely curious to see how Hamilton will do in an F1 car. In part I understand Mclaren's strategy as well. If Lewis tests and beats Wurz or Pedro, teams will be trying to sign him, regardless of his ties at Mclaren. Which is a situation that Mclaren wouldnt want; i.e. to have teams throwing money at their protege. It would lessen their control of his future.
Old 22 Nov 2005, 17:52 (Ref:1467665)   #25
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_White
Barcelona
November 28 - Alex and Gary Paffett
November 29 - Pedro and Alex

Barcelona
December 1 - Pedro and Juan Pablo
December 2 - Juan Pablo and Gary Paffett
Is McLaren testing on the 30th too? It would make sense if they did, seeing as it is a Wednesday in the middle of the quoted week?