Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 May 2008, 22:29 (Ref:2198502)   #1
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mark Webber : massively keen to stay at Red Bull

Looks like Renault will have to wait...

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headline...10202305.shtml

You better stay where you're feeling good, that's crucial to anyone and I concur with this decent guy's decision.
Old 10 May 2008, 23:11 (Ref:2198524)   #2
ozrevhead
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide, Australia
ozrevhead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And I cant see why RB wouldnt want him there - clearly beating his teammate and putting that Redbull on course to be that 4th team in the constructors championship
Old 10 May 2008, 23:40 (Ref:2198535)   #3
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I hope I'm not tempting fate ahead of the race, but I think it's great that Adrian Newey seems finally to have designed the car we have all been waiting for and RBR seems to have got it working reliably. Credit to Geoff Willis there, maybe?

It means that Mark has finally got his hands on a car that's worthy of his talent. It's what we were expecting when he went to Williams, but for various reasons that didn't work out, so no wonder he wants to stay at RBR. They would be daft to let him go.
Old 11 May 2008, 00:17 (Ref:2198549)   #4
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Marks talents and Redbulls potential are perfectly matched at the moment (both being potentially 'best of the rest') so it makes sense for a continuation.
Old 11 May 2008, 01:26 (Ref:2198560)   #5
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And then there is that career as the new James Bond when he finishes twirling the steering wheel.........

Mr Webber is getting too old to move anywhere but up... and Team Silver and Team Red both seem to be full right now....

Go Potsie!!
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 11 May 2008, 03:45 (Ref:2198581)   #6
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can't see him in any of the top teams realistically, so I suppose he realise RBR is as good a seat as he's ever going to get in the future.
Old 11 May 2008, 03:53 (Ref:2198582)   #7
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will be good to see him stay at RBR, hopfeully alongside a rated new driver like Vettel. Be a new challenge for him
Old 11 May 2008, 06:13 (Ref:2198623)   #8
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Renault will duly win both championships next year!
Old 11 May 2008, 06:20 (Ref:2198626)   #9
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi
Looks like Renault will have to wait...

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headline...10202305.shtml

You better stay where you're feeling good, that's crucial to anyone and I concur with this decent guy's decision.
And what's about Romain Grosjean then?
Old 11 May 2008, 07:18 (Ref:2198643)   #10
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralf fan
Renault will duly win both championships next year!
Yea Right
Old 11 May 2008, 10:33 (Ref:2198753)   #11
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well if your happy why not he seems at home at RBR (ala Nando at Renault) and seeing the top 3 are chock a block RBR is the next best option he knows the guys the team have potential and he is on form this year lets hope his luck continues to rise.
Old 11 May 2008, 11:25 (Ref:2198797)   #12
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Realistically he's not going to get a better drive now, and it looks as if RBR are finally sorting themselves out, so it's probably the best place for him, and from their point of view, he's driving well this season so it makes sense to keep him.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 11 May 2008, 13:50 (Ref:2198936)   #13
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
For sure wherever Mark decides not to go will have a much better season than the team he ends up at. He is just one of those people who always ends up in the wrong place.
Old 11 May 2008, 17:17 (Ref:2199119)   #14
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mark is wise.

He would not have a chance of getting a better seat anywhere else, so why not take a punt with a midfield team and hope Adrian designs a blinder someday?

He has learnt well from DC.
Old 11 May 2008, 21:08 (Ref:2199505)   #15
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
He has learnt well from DC.
No, he is still driving quickly...
Old 11 May 2008, 21:16 (Ref:2199511)   #16
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
The SpeCTator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Red Bull - young dynamic team - yet 2 of the oldest blokes on the grid!
OK maybe room for one as a safe bet but not two.
Only have to look to GP2 to see Romain G. is tomorrows man, yet RB like to keep yesterdays.
Amazing!
Old 11 May 2008, 22:10 (Ref:2199566)   #17
deeks6
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The SpeCTator
Only have to look to GP2 to see Romain G. is tomorrows man
Ah yes, just like Zonta, Wilson, Glock and Liuzzi just to name a few recent ones.

If Webber is "old" at 31, then what were Schumacher (31, 32, 33, 34, 35), Hakkinnen (31), Hill (35) , Prost (31, 34, 38), Mansell (38), Senna (31), Piquet(30, 31, 35), Lauda (35), Rosberg (34), Jones (34) and Andretti (38) all doing?

Oh and then there was Stewart (32, 34), Hill (33, 39), Hulme (31), Brabham (33, 34, 40 - Crikey, the old coot), Surtees (30), Phil Hill (34), Fangio (40-46, surely a nursing home), Ascari (34, 35) and Farina (44).

Yes, its a young mans sport, all right ...
Old 12 May 2008, 00:36 (Ref:2199620)   #18
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm going to be mighty peeved at the end of Webber's career when he has never driven for a top F1 team.

I've no doubt he would get fantastic results.

I wonder how much he will end up regreting not going to Renault for 2005...?
Old 12 May 2008, 02:21 (Ref:2199663)   #19
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If he went to Renault in '05 and got the results everyone expected of him Alonso would've probably chucked a tantrum and Uncle Flav would've kicked him out...
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 12 May 2008, 03:02 (Ref:2199675)   #20
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
I still think Flavio has made a mistake in letting Kovalainen go and taking on Piquet.

He could have had Webber and Kovalainen for the fraction of the money Alonso is getting and secured a far better long term driver line up. (Alonso will probably not stay beyond his current two years, although it is difficult to see where he would go....

Mark should definitely stay where he is... The car is improving and the team is on a rise although as a friend remarked last night, Webber in a Ferrari wouldbe VERY interesting...but it probably won't happen. Pity.
Old 12 May 2008, 11:18 (Ref:2199970)   #21
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
amazing that - kovalainen did well in his 1st season at renault (which could've been mark's ) he is now at mclaren - good luck to heikki...

its all "if's" & imagine if mark had heikki's drives i reckon - i am biased but he is always just behind mclaren, ferrari & sauber.BMW...

mark is a good driver
Old 12 May 2008, 12:09 (Ref:2200021)   #22
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
I'm going to be mighty peeved at the end of Webber's career when he has never driven for a top F1 team.
I could say the same about some other current 'good' drivers,but I won't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac

I wonder how much he will end up regreting not going to Renault for 2005...?
I'm not so sure he had that option did he! ?
Old 12 May 2008, 23:49 (Ref:2200601)   #23
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
I'm not so sure he had that option did he! ?
Both Flavio and Mark have said (a number of times) that Webber chose to go Williams in 2005 over Renault.

In fact, when Webber signed for Red Bull he was quoted saying how he went against Flav's advice when he signed for Williams and he would not make the same mistake again - hence why he followed Flav's advice in signing for Red Bull.

The story went that Flav would only let him go to Williams for '05 if he could have Fisichella in return. Allegedly, Frank had to sign Fisichella then did a deal with Flav to swap him with Webber.

Thereby Flav didn't have to outlay money on signing a new driver...
Old 13 May 2008, 09:16 (Ref:2200861)   #24
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
In theory, going to Renault in 2005 would have been a great idea, but I think he would probably have been put very much in the shade by Alonso. Webber is a decent driver, but he's not an Alonso.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 13 May 2008, 10:10 (Ref:2200893)   #25
deeks6
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf's Girl
In theory, going to Renault in 2005 would have been a great idea, but I think he would probably have been put very much in the shade by Alonso. Webber is a decent driver, but he's not an Alonso.
Really?

The only way you can compare them is through teammates ... and the only common teammate is Alex Yoong.

So - what does that tell us?

Alonso had Yoong as a teammate for 3 races and had spent the entire year in the Minardi so was more experienced. He was an average of 1.4497 seconds faster than Yoong and the biggest margin was 1.845 seconds.

Webber joined Minardi after Yoong and was therefore less experienced but, despite that, he was an average of 1.399 seconds faster than Yoong with a maximum margin of 2.504 seconds. He was faster in all 17 rounds and qualified for every race (Yoong did not).

So that tells us that they are, effectively, equally matched (unless you want to push the issue 0.0498 which could be offset by the bigger "greater" margin and the lesser versus more experience in the car). So there would not have been much shade methinks.

You can do the same exercise with Coulthard and you will find that Webber has shaded him much more than Hill, Hakkinnen or Raikkonnen ever did.

The only thing that remains untested is how Webbers racecraft would pan out in a frontrunning car. He does, however, manage pretty well in crap cars so you would have to give him the benefit of the doubt.