Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 10 May 2010, 19:44 (Ref:2688180)   #451
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
Revealing by the way is also page 80, which gives the best sector times during the race, whereby two peugeots were faster in ALL three sectors.
The 3 Audis were faster in sector 3?!

I also believe some of the sector times were lost during the power outage. Look at the ideal lap (sum of best sector times) of the #7 Audi: 2:01.495. Almost .7 sec slower than the actual best lap time of car: 2:00.833.
Old 10 May 2010, 19:45 (Ref:2688181)   #452
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
anyway, this is how we saw most of the weekend

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/event...a-1000-km.html
Old 10 May 2010, 20:03 (Ref:2688212)   #453
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
The 3 Audis were faster in sector 3?!

I also believe some of the sector times were lost during the power outage. Look at the ideal lap (sum of best sector times) of the #7 Audi: 2:01.495. Almost .7 sec slower than the actual best lap time of car: 2:00.833.
right, I misread that, but by a mere 0.3 of a second...but from the data that we have, it shows that in sector one and two the pugs were fastest. Interesting anomaly regarding the ideal and the best lap of #7. Can you trace which lap that was?

Regarding the team effort, the number 3 and 1 spent less time in the pits than the two Audis so the race was not only won on the track. (page 127).
Old 10 May 2010, 20:05 (Ref:2688213)   #454
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Let's just call it for what it is: Spa is inconclusive as to who's faster, esepcially at Le Mans. Audi ran a LM-spec downforce package that cost them in sector 2(which comprises at least half of the lap), but were at times significantly faster in sectors 1/3. That and having better racecraft kept the #7 in contention until the last few minutes. However, that low downforce package cost them as far as keeping warm slicks on the cars like the HD 908s could.

Peugeot came with a high downforce setting with the aim to win, knowing that the HD package would benefit them. And Audi does have a high downforce package for the new R15 at least partially in existance, and strangely they used it in practice for Paul Ricard: http://www.fourtitude.com/gallery/ga...&dispsize=1024

http://www.fourtitude.com/gallery/ga...&dispsize=1024

http://www.fourtitude.com/gallery/ga...&dispsize=1024

Why they didn't run their cars in at least that configuration is beyond me. However, the more I think about it, it could be typical Audi. Words and phrases such as "sandbagging", "holding their cards to their chest", and "mind games" come to mind. Maybe Audi just wanted to show Peugeot that in low downforce trim that they believe that the R15 is the equal of the 908's LD trim. As far as handling goes, in LD trim, the R15 at Paul Ricard seemed to have the edge over the Oreca 908, as set up with factory assistance(it also seems that Peugeot is taking Oreca more seriously than Pescarolo last year), as the speed gap on the mistral wasn't as big as it often was at Spa, where the Audi and Pug ran different areo setups.

However, with the cars in different specs and seeminlgy different game plans, it's hard to say, in Audi's words, "where they stand" as far as Audi and Peugeot go, and without the LM test day, we'll probably be in the dark for the next five weeks.

One thing though that hasn't been talked about in this thread so far is the ugly part of things for Peugeot: Oreca's disasterous race. It has no real impact on the LM side of things. But one also has to remember that Oreca is Peugeot's back-door factory effort for the LMS championship, with Allan and Dindo winning Paul Ricard and finishing 3rd at Spa, they have the lead in the drivers' championship, and with Peugeot Sport not submitting an full season entry, Audi and Joest have the lead in the manufacturers' and teams' championships.

With Oreca's DNF at Spa and making it no where near 70%, they scored no points in any championship. This leaves the LMS title hunt wide open, unless Audi enter Allan and Dindo in more LMS races. Audi already have at least 3 planned(Paul Ricard, Spa, and Silverstone--the LMIC opener). With their big lead in the championship and Joest registered as a full season entry, Audi have basically a one race advantage over Oreca in the championship tables. Does one think that Audi may take advantage and enter Algarve and/or Hungaroring under the pretense of "testing for the LMIC" while using it as a back-door attempt at stealing the LMS title?

Last edited by chernaudi; 10 May 2010 at 20:11.
Old 10 May 2010, 20:20 (Ref:2688230)   #455
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by henk4
Regarding the team effort, the number 3 and 1 spent less time in the pits than the two Audis so the race was not only won on the track. (page 127).
Of course, the Audi #7 did an extra pit stop at the end to put on intermediates and the #9 was held up 2 minutes because of the red light in the pit lane.
Old 10 May 2010, 20:25 (Ref:2688233)   #456
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi
And Audi does have a high downforce package for the new R15 at least partially in existance, and strangely they used it in practice for Paul Ricard:

Why they didn't run their cars in at least that configuration is beyond me.
Spare parts? Perhaps they did not want to build multiple LD noses and engine covers for 3 cars...
Old 10 May 2010, 20:32 (Ref:2688240)   #457
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Why they didn't run their cars in at least that configuration is beyond me. However, the more I think about it, it could be typical Audi. Words and phrases such as "sandbagging", "holding their cards to their chest", and "mind games" come to mind. Maybe Audi just wanted to show Peugeot that in low downforce trim that they believe that the R15 is the equal of the 908's LD trim.
Or just plain arrogance, that in case they would have won, they could have said, look, we can even beat the fully prepared Pugs on a high downforce track, using LM specs...
I'll be very curious to see how fast the pugs will be with the LM package. They really found something this year, as the Pug's pole time was four seconds quicker than last year, even with the increased restrictions.
Old 10 May 2010, 20:34 (Ref:2688242)   #458
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Of course, the Audi #7 did an extra pit stop at the end to put on intermediates and the #9 was held up 2 minutes because of the red light in the pit lane.
the number 7 stop was a (wrong) team decision and even if you subtract two minutes for the number 9, it has still used more time than the first two Pugs...
Old 10 May 2010, 20:37 (Ref:2688245)   #459
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Spare parts? Perhaps they did not want to build multiple LD noses and engine covers for 3 cars...
yep, Audi is really a team that runs on a shoestring......
Old 10 May 2010, 20:45 (Ref:2688252)   #460
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
The parts in the photos(dive planes and tail gurneys) are tack-on parts that mostly carried over from the '09 R15.

And it seemed that Audi modifed their cars for Spa in a strange way in additon to the low downforce they ran-it seems that the inner head light(the one that points outboard of the car) has some kind of divider piece mounted in front of it-different light or what's going on there?
Old 10 May 2010, 20:49 (Ref:2688257)   #461
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
The parts in the photos(dive planes and tail gurneys) are tack-on parts that mostly carried over from the '09 R15.

And it seemed that Audi modifed their cars for Spa in a strange way in additon to the low downforce they ran-it seems that the inner head light(the one that points outboard of the car) has some kind of divider piece mounted in front of it-different light or what's going on there?
what I further noticed was that the Audis were quity itchy through the chicane before start finish, while the Pugs seemed to negotiate that section much more stable.
Checking my pictures, I can only see fully flush headlights, with no divider pieces.
Old 10 May 2010, 21:05 (Ref:2688269)   #462
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Couple of pictures from the weekend:

Old 10 May 2010, 21:34 (Ref:2688287)   #463
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion
Sorry, but you are ignoring a lot of flaws in the early days of the Peugeot program: bad strategy, slow pit work (ACO helped them a bit with 2 air guns), lots of crashes, drivers not handling traffic that well, difficulties in the wet, ...
The statement was about the car itself. As such, team errors, driver difficulties, etc are irrelevant.
In 2007 Peugeot lost time during driver changes because the car itself has a roof. The problem in the wet was a property of the car (difficulties to set up it up properly) and not so much driver issues. You might also wonder whether the multiple crashes in the early days perhaps were related to the car's handling at the limit...
Old 10 May 2010, 21:43 (Ref:2688297)   #464
AndrewF31
Veteran

Canada
Spain
AndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zac510 View Post
Couple of pictures from the weekend:
Thanks! Last photo is really nice.
Old 10 May 2010, 23:57 (Ref:2688351)   #465
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Quote:
what I further noticed was that the Audis were quity itchy through the chicane before start finish, while the Pugs seemed to negotiate that section much more stable.
Checking my pictures, I can only see fully flush headlights, with no divider pieces.
The inboard light(the one that points towards the outside of the car) seems to be split and has a carbon divider mounted between the two parts of it, and it's in the bin under the lexan cover, not on the cover itself.
Old 11 May 2010, 04:50 (Ref:2688414)   #466
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
WMUCarGuy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just noticed that the Rebellion Lolas are now using a side exiting exhaust rather than the snorkel type they used Paul Ricard.

Old 11 May 2010, 06:28 (Ref:2688433)   #467
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
In 2007 Peugeot lost time during driver changes because the car itself has a roof.
the 2008, 2009 and 2010 car still has a roof...... only now they don't loose time any more.....so intrinsically the car was NOT the problem.
Old 11 May 2010, 06:56 (Ref:2688438)   #468
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
the 2008, 2009 and 2010 car still has a roof...... only now they don't loose time any more.....so intrinsically the car was NOT the problem.
With a little help from ACO
Old 11 May 2010, 07:01 (Ref:2688442)   #469
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
With a little help from ACO
I am trying hard to think what you could mean by that....the reduction of the number of wheel keys???
Old 11 May 2010, 09:48 (Ref:2688504)   #470
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911targa View Post
ford finished 1-2-3 in GT1class,both aston GT cars came back with DNF,i wont be surprise if they do it again at LM,but i will be surprise if GT1winner do more laps than GT2winner after 24h.
As a former Student Apprentice with Aston in the DB days I was very sorry to see them have problems again. Fast but fragile perhaps but the GT2 failures at P Ricard and Spa were different and should be solveable. That car's fastest lap was quicker than all GT2s except the BMW that was penalised for not respecting the circuit boundaries, 4 tenths quicker than the fastest Porsche and all the Ferraris and some of the GT1s so the speed is there if they can find the reliabilty
Old 11 May 2010, 10:05 (Ref:2688513)   #471
cdsvg
Racer

Australia
cdsvg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I am trying hard to think what you could mean by that....the reduction of the number of wheel keys???
Because of the change to allow only 1 wheel gun - more time in which to do the driver change, which helped Peugeot.

I was watching the race-rally stream and it worked flawlessly through the race, apart from the power cut. I remember doing the same thing as far back as 08. Why is it that the ACO can't do this themselves, with RLM commentary, if these guys can do it for free without any problems?
Old 11 May 2010, 10:28 (Ref:2688522)   #472
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
stream worked ok .. but quality was a bit low(not a big fan of silverlight) .. at least compared to the GT1 stream

Ciao Marco
Old 11 May 2010, 11:10 (Ref:2688541)   #473
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
The problem with the free streaming was that the RLM commentary was often ahead of the pictures, several times I would hear about an incident and then see it several minutes later.
Old 11 May 2010, 15:52 (Ref:2688663)   #474
Tom87
Racer

England
Tom87 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
The problem with the free streaming was that the RLM commentary was often ahead of the pictures, several times I would hear about an incident and then see it several minutes later.
That was ideal for me - I was revising for an exam, so I just switched to the live stream everytime I heard Hindy get excited and then watch a 'replay' of the action!

Stream was absolutely fine for me, more than adequate for a freebie, I echo the sentiment that it would be fantastic if we had the same for each race.
Old 11 May 2010, 15:54 (Ref:2688665)   #475
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdsavage View Post
Why is it that the ACO can't do this themselves, with RLM commentary, if these guys can do it for free without any problems?
It undercuts MotorsTV and their attempts to draw an audience/advertise then doesn't it?