Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 Jan 2021, 10:51 (Ref:4030221)   #76
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sorry, what has the DE got to do with anything? I was merely responding to the point point about concern.
Old 20 Jan 2021, 12:03 (Ref:4030229)   #77
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Sorry, what has the DE got to do with anything? I was merely responding to the point point about concern.
i assumed rightly or wrongly that the 'rich bloke wants more money' was pointing towards news reports that contracts are being held up because of Lewiss demands for more money, which have come from the Express
Old 20 Jan 2021, 12:06 (Ref:4030230)   #78
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Wrongly. I was expressing an opinion.
Old 20 Jan 2021, 13:10 (Ref:4030237)   #79
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Wrongly. I was expressing an opinion.
alrighty then......opinion backed up by facts? or just a wild stab in the dark...
Old 20 Jan 2021, 13:23 (Ref:4030240)   #80
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
I think we are all allowed to have an opinion.
Old 20 Jan 2021, 13:30 (Ref:4030242)   #81
ascarracinguk
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
I think we are all allowed to have an opinion.
of course we are....just trying to work out if its an opinion based on something harder than a thought whizzing around in someones head.

its easy to throw an opinion out there.....'Lewis is requesting fresh socks at every pitstop' is slowing down contract talks for instance....doesnt mean it has any sort of validity....
Old 20 Jan 2021, 13:34 (Ref:4030243)   #82
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I hear he's not only demanding more money, but he's requested no red M&Ms in his Friday night stash.
Old 20 Jan 2021, 13:35 (Ref:4030245)   #83
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
In my opinion a contract negotiation would likely involve payment or payment in kind. I don't think that this is a controversial statement.
Old 20 Jan 2021, 13:42 (Ref:4030247)   #84
ascarracinguk
Veteran

Quote:
In my opinion a contract negotiation would likely involve payment or payment in kind. I don't think that this is a controversial statement.
not controvertial at all.....of course negotiations in part are about money, but as we all know its not just about money, it includes work life balance, marketing etc etc etc...

Simply framing it as 'rich bloke wants more money' just got me wondering where that opinion came from and whether it was backed up by anything, thats all.
Old 20 Jan 2021, 13:46 (Ref:4030248)   #85
ascarracinguk
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I hear he's not only demanding more money, but he's requested no red M&Ms in his Friday night stash.
Well no wonder. everyone knows the Red M&M is the one that sleeps with your missus
Old 20 Jan 2021, 13:52 (Ref:4030251)   #86
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
of course we are....just trying to work out if its an opinion based on something harder than a thought whizzing around in someones head.

its easy to throw an opinion out there.....'Lewis is requesting fresh socks at every pitstop' is slowing down contract talks for instance....doesnt mean it has any sort of validity....
As easy as belittling a person's opinion. I as everyone else here. can have an opinion. If it is something else then fine, I don't mind being wrong.

I think the point is, it doesn't actually matter to me. If he doesn't drive this year, so be it, there are others to take his place. Life moves on. If there are other reasons for the delay, I'm sure we will be told in due time. If however People can't speculate then there is little point in discussion. Perhaps we shiuld close the thread?
Old 20 Jan 2021, 13:54 (Ref:4030252)   #87
ascarracinguk
Veteran

Quote:
As easy as belittling a person's opinion. I as everyone else here. can have an opinion. If it is something else then fine, I don't mind being wrong.

I think the point is, it doesn't actually matter to me. If he doesn't drive this year, so be it, there are others to take his place. Life moves on. If there are other reasons for the delay, I'm sure we will be told in due time. If however People can't speculate then there is little point in discussion. Perhaps we shiuld close the thread?
im not belittling ANYONES opinion....i was just asking if it was backed up with anything....ie i was wondering if it came from a source

anyway, going round in circles.

im out.
Old 20 Jan 2021, 14:57 (Ref:4030269)   #88
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

I think the point is, it doesn't actually matter to me. If he doesn't drive this year, so be it, there are others to take his place. Life moves on.
Absolutely 100% where I am on it too.
Before I get labelled a hater, I admire Lewis for his achievements and as the GOTE (....Of This Era) but I wont be sad if he is not on the grid next year. It wont stop me watching. In fact.....
Old 20 Jan 2021, 15:18 (Ref:4030273)   #89
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I heard he only wanted brown M&Ms (note, I made that up )

Quote:
Agree. Payment and/or Payment in kind. See below for more on this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
not controvertial at all.....of course negotiations in part are about money, but as we all know its not just about money, it includes work life balance, marketing etc etc etc...

Simply framing it as 'rich bloke wants more money' just got me wondering where that opinion came from and whether it was backed up by anything, thats all.
Nothing wrong with negotiation more than just cash money payment.

But, broadly speaking, all of that "in kind" payment can (and likely is) assigned a monetary value. So for example, Lewis wants to spend less time at Mercedes PR events (shaking hands, dog and pony show stuff, etc.) so he can have more time for non-work things? In that end, that alters the value propisition of their relationship (Mercedes might be getting less for their money, or just less than they wanted).

Again, nothing wrong with that as long as everyone can come to an agreement.

As to the topic of "speculation" being appropriate. I just don't get the pushback on this. He is a high profile person. Probably the highest profile in F1. And he is apparently currently without a contract and that IS unusual. So he is fair game for all of this type of speculation. Maybe some of this pushback is that some of those who really like Lewis are antipathetic to any speculation that Lewis might be asking for more than other may perceive him to be worth. In that somehow that perception by others implies that this process devalues or slights him somehow. Some may phrase their feedback in a off-putting way such as "Rich man asks for more money". If you are a rich man who is likely asking for more money (even if potentially deserved), that comment will come.

I (like anyone) have opinions and I have opinions on this subject. Given I tend to have a preference for F1 needing to get its costs under control and that the circus should shrink vs. grow, or that the pie is likely getting smaller so that everyone is likely to get a smaller slice... that will manifest itself in me questioning why someone like Lewis should be asking for more. But then again, it's a free world and Lewis has the right to try to squeeze Mercedes (or whoever is party of these negotiations) for all he can.

Also, what is interesting is that in the end, we may not even get a full picture of what an ultimate agreement consists of (assuming one happens) and what was potentially asked for that was not granted. We will probably all be mostly left unsatisfied when this eventually gets settle. The only exception would be a shock exit of Lewis from Mercedes. Which is unlikely not also not out of the question. Which again, is why this topic continues to have legs.

Richard
Old 20 Jan 2021, 15:35 (Ref:4030275)   #90
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm not Lewis, but yes, if I was, I would squeeze Mercedes for all that I could. Why wouldn't I?

There. I admitted it.

Old 20 Jan 2021, 15:41 (Ref:4030280)   #91
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I'm not Lewis, but yes, if I was, I would squeeze Mercedes for all that I could. Why wouldn't I?

There. I admitted it.

I do it all the time. They have yet to even return my phone call.

Richard
Old 20 Jan 2021, 16:12 (Ref:4030284)   #92
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Actually it's the comfy chair at all future negotiations.
https://youtu.be/_72jEeaC_gE
Old 20 Jan 2021, 16:13 (Ref:4030286)   #93
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Actually it's the comfy chair at all future negotiations.
https://youtu.be/_72jEeaC_gE
I'm sensing a Not the Nine O'Clock News theme sneaking in here!
Old 20 Jan 2021, 16:24 (Ref:4030289)   #94
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post

There. I admitted it.

There are a few opinion pieces on this from Planet F1, Motorsport etc. Even heaven forfend, the Daily Express! Mark Hughes (Motorsport) suggests that the stumbling block may be the changed financial dynamic with the split now between Ineos, Daimler and Toto Wolff. The others seem to suggest it is just money. The Planet F1 report explains why it may be money rather than simply contract terms and Ayse will probably agree, when all is said and done contracts rarely change in terms of responsibility and liability. The only changes are usually financial.

Someone mentioned Ayrton Senna and his negotiations with Ron D. In 1991(?) it resulted in a results based contract. Senna appears to have put his money where his mouth was.

Although unfortunate, there is no doubt IMO that the perception created by Russell's Bahrain efforts, must have had some form of impact on negotiations. Daimler's board would have seen it and with the need for redundancies and cut backs would want to use it as a negotiation tool.
Old 20 Jan 2021, 17:48 (Ref:4030307)   #95
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
...And he is apparently currently without a contract and that IS unusual...
this right!

its the off season and speculation is what we do

he had covid 2 months ago and they have no idea what his health or long term health will be like.

could there be a fitness issues here causing delay?

as a matter of course, do you not take additional precautions, ask for additional medical tests, before offering what i would assume will be, one way or another, a very lucrative offer?
Old 20 Jan 2021, 18:24 (Ref:4030316)   #96
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
this right!

its the off season and speculation is what we do

he had covid 2 months ago and they have no idea what his health or long term health will be like.

could there be a fitness issues here causing delay?

as a matter of course, do you not take additional precautions, ask for additional medical tests, before offering what i would assume will be, one way or another, a very lucrative offer?
According to some news sites - LH wants a lot more money for a 3 year deal, Daimler don't want to pay a lot more and for only 1 year. Then again BE says LH signed ages ago and it is all PR puff (or words to that effect).

Others say that GR's run in Bahrain has upset LH's business model of being indespensible and therefore extremely expensive.
Old 20 Jan 2021, 20:13 (Ref:4030332)   #97
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
Then again BE says LH signed ages ago and it is all PR puff (or words to that effect).
I saw that report. Cleary BE is thinking... "What would I have done?" and is then projecting that onto the Mercedes/Hamilton situation.

Has he already signed? Who knows. Are they working some type of PR angle with this delay? I cant imagine it is Mercedes or Hamilton's style to do that.

Richard
Old 20 Jan 2021, 20:44 (Ref:4030338)   #98
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I saw that report. Cleary BE is thinking... "What would I have done?" and is then projecting that onto the Mercedes/Hamilton situation.

Has he already signed? Who knows. Are they working some type of PR angle with this delay? I cant imagine it is Mercedes or Hamilton's style to do that.

Richard
Crafting the end of your driving career is quite tricky, do you do a Nico Rosberg or a Damon Hill....
Old 20 Jan 2021, 23:00 (Ref:4030356)   #99
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Lewis Hamilton ‘does not want George Russell at Mercedes’ as contract saga takes new twist

From the Express

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-a...es-Formula-One

If this is true, I would say that it is a serious miscalculation on Lewis' part and it will probably end his driving days with Mercedes. I doubt that Mercedes will take well to being told who to employ by an employee.

Russell is 22, Hamilton 36, and it would seem pretty clear where the long term future is.
Old 20 Jan 2021, 23:11 (Ref:4030357)   #100
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's "The Express". It's definitely not true. Comic books are a more reliable source.