Old 12 May 2006, 13:03 (Ref:1606993)   #1
f1freak
Racer

Australia
Sydney
f1freak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Challenge - Albert Park

Morning/Afternoon/Evening All.

I was searching for some historical Albert Park maps/aerials a while back, and it got me thinking about a Challenge I could post here.

This is by no means an attempt to get people to 'edit' the current Albert Park. It is a Challenge set back in time.

So the story goes like this...

"In 1993 prominent Melbourne businessman Mr Ron Walker AC CBE, current Chairman of the Australian Grand Prix began working with the then Kennett government to make Melbourne the host of the event. After the government of Jeff Kennett spent an undisclosed (but speculated to be quite large) amount, it was announced in late 1993 (days after a South Australian election) that the race would be shifted to a rebuilt Albert Park street circuit in Melbourne."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Grand_Prix

You are called upon to design the circuit. It must be within the 'Albert Park' Parklands area. Tree destruction must be kept at a minimum. Also, you must remember that for 51 weeks a year, it is a Park, so remember this when designing your circuit.

Also remember that in the late 1950's Albert Park was used as a racing circuit.

Here is a map and an aerial view at your disposal.
(I think the map is from the mid 70's and the Aerial shot is from the 1950's)

Old 12 May 2006, 14:02 (Ref:1607049)   #2
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
Lustigson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's quite a challenge. I wonder if anyone can do better than the actual track constructed in 1995/1996. I, for one, think that's a brilliant track, making good use of the 'natural' flow of excisint park roads.
Old 12 May 2006, 14:12 (Ref:1607061)   #3
f1freak
Racer

Australia
Sydney
Personally, I agree with you Lustigson. I'd maybe change the last 3 corners, the way they'd flow.

However, that's why I decided to post this, to see what people would come up with (if anything).
Old 12 May 2006, 17:07 (Ref:1607243)   #4
V8_TURBO
Veteran

MagnetON
Glasgow
V8_TURBO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It does look challenging. maybe I'll have ago later.
Old 12 May 2006, 19:50 (Ref:1607346)   #5
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's funny looking at the old pics and comparing them to a Google Earth shot of the current circuit, I personally can't see a great deal of room for change.

The current circuit fits nicely
Old 12 May 2006, 22:00 (Ref:1607429)   #6
Jam35
Rookie

Wales
Caerdydd
Jam35 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Well, here's ten minutes' worth of playing with drawing lines on the aerial photo. It's pretty much completely different from the real version, but I still think it looks fun.
Old 12 May 2006, 23:03 (Ref:1607449)   #7
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam35
Well, here's ten minutes' worth of playing with drawing lines on the aerial photo. It's pretty much completely different from the real version, but I still think it looks fun.
Bridging the lake and racing through the Girls school would certainly be radical. The circuit does look fun though I have to say.
Old 13 May 2006, 04:31 (Ref:1607585)   #8
f1freak
Racer

Australia
Sydney
Interesting. Not bad honestly. I quite like it actually Jam35. I'd change a few minor things thought. Good job.

Last edited by f1freak; 13 May 2006 at 04:34.
Old 13 May 2006, 20:42 (Ref:1608970)   #9
mandretti39
Veteran

Lithuania
Clay, NY USA
mandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here is my attempt. The track runs clockwise, obviously. It uses about half of the current circuit, and the rest is all new. I may be the first person with the setup of the pit complex. Basically, the entrance to the pit would be just like Montreal or Cleveland, where to stay on the track you must take a right-left S-bend, but to go into the pit, you go head on. The exit is basically the entrance but backwards. Confused? Check out the map.

Old 14 May 2006, 16:04 (Ref:1609641)   #10
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Here's my go. Anti-clockwise, unlike the modern track.
Old 14 May 2006, 18:51 (Ref:1609750)   #11
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
OK here's my attempt....I ruins the golf course but hey you can't please everyone.

It runs Anti-Clockwise
Attached Thumbnails
aerial1limod.jpg  
Old 15 May 2006, 08:57 (Ref:1610309)   #12
f1freak
Racer

Australia
Sydney
mandretti... Not bad. I like the idea with the pits where the track does a quick chicane. I think that the Lakeside Drive section is very long. You used a bit of Queens Road, which was against the rules, but I like how that part of the track works.

pirenzo... Similar to the real thing, but having it go the other way is a nice twist. Personally, I feel the first corner(s) should be tighter. I love the quick part with the last few corners. Quite good honestly.

ScotsBrutesFan... As a track, it's not that bad. However, it'd have to be much smaller, because your track is 6+km, and I think it's a bit too long for the sized straights you have.

OK, now what I've come up with. I loved Jam35's idea 'crossing' the lake, and to be honest, it wouldn't be that difficult to do and still maintain recreational boating access for both sides.

The proposal is very similar to Jam35's idea. The track is clockwise and the pitlane is on the outside, North-Eastern part of the circuit. Althought it may not be possible to be built (back in the day), I think that only a few minor hurdles would have been needed to create it.

Opinions would be nice...
Old 16 May 2006, 19:59 (Ref:1611817)   #13
Helicon_One
Rookie

Helicon_One should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thought I'd have a go at this:

I know I'm cheating like mandretti by using a little bit of Queens Road for the back straight, but its a good idea, and it seems silly to build a new bit of track just parallel to a perfectly usable bit of public road (though its an option if people insist, I guess). There's some pretty fast corners here (turns 1-2, and also 6) and a couple of good straights.

Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Albert Parkwip.jpg  
Old 17 May 2006, 16:15 (Ref:1612691)   #14
V8_TURBO
Veteran

MagnetON
Glasgow
V8_TURBO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like that and it looks quite fast too.
Old 19 May 2006, 04:30 (Ref:1613933)   #15
f1freak
Racer

Australia
Sydney
Helicon_One, I agree with V8, not bad, I like it. I think you embellished the pit lane's langth a little, but good job...
Old 19 May 2006, 20:20 (Ref:1614437)   #16
Helicon_One
Rookie

Helicon_One should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, looking at it, the pitlane on mine must be about a mile long, which is a bit over the top. Also, it feeds back in on the outside of a VERY fast corner, which is asking for trouble. Time for an edit, I think...

Tim