Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 9 Jan 2007, 21:07 (Ref:1810723)   #1
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Teams from FIA to LMS?

I know of....

Racing Box..............GT-1 Saleen
Team Modena...........GT-1 Aston
Pelbermayr/Proton...GT-2 Porsche

any more???

L.P.
Old 9 Jan 2007, 21:09 (Ref:1810726)   #2
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
sorry if im wrong but hasnt team modena been in the lms all season? they did the silverstone fia gt round
Old 9 Jan 2007, 21:13 (Ref:1810730)   #3
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Racing Box isnt really a FIA GT team either, yes they did 1 race but they were hardly a regular entry.
Old 9 Jan 2007, 21:23 (Ref:1810738)   #4
Satorian
Veteran

European Union
Satorian has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux
sorry if im wrong but hasnt team modena been in the lms all season? they did the silverstone fia gt round
They've been Cirtek Motorsports before and they work under the Team Modena banner now and provide support for them since 2006 IIRC.
So, it's actually already a 2006 move from FIA GT to LMS I think.

Bramzel is usually really up to date as far as teams and cars are concerned, so he should be able to shed some light on affairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R
Racing Box isnt really a FIA GT team either, yes they did 1 race but they were hardly a regular entry.
Right, but between taking their current car to FIA GT or obtaining a new one and taking it to the LMS, they chose the latter. Not really a switch, but rather a prominent decision. Similar could be said about PSI and Luc Alphand and their C6.R's.

Last edited by Satorian; 9 Jan 2007 at 21:29.
Old 9 Jan 2007, 21:45 (Ref:1810761)   #5
Francesco
Racer

Italy
Lecco, Italy
Francesco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
team modena is now very different from critek AFAIK...
Old 9 Jan 2007, 21:49 (Ref:1810764)   #6
Satorian
Veteran

European Union
From the horse's mouth:

Quote:
Team chief Graham Schultz said: "We have created Team Modena with the intention of running a pair of highly-competitive customer chassis in the GT1 class to begin with and have high ambitions for the future. We have assembled an extremely talented management team and have great hopes for next month's LMES opener in Istanbul following the speed shown by our car in testing at Paul Ricard. I am pleased that Cirtek will continue to operate this car under the umbrella of Team Modena - its race-winning pedigree is well established."
http://www.motorsport.com/news/artic...=213470&FS=LMS
Old 9 Jan 2007, 21:50 (Ref:1810765)   #7
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satorian
Right, but between taking their current car to FIA GT or obtaining a new one and taking it to the LMS, they chose the latter. Not really a switch, but rather a prominent decision. Similar could be said about PSI and Luc Alphand and their C6.R's.
Yes but why choose the LMS? Personally I think it has something to do with the fact that they will be able to perform better in the LMS than FIA GT. As has been said in other threads, FIA GT is for the big professional/factory teams where the LMS is more for the privateers.

Im not saying that PSI and Racing Box werent competitve in the outings that they attended at their home rounds, but I dont really think they would be competitve all season long.
Old 9 Jan 2007, 21:57 (Ref:1810774)   #8
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If anything, there's more quality in depth in the LMS GT field.
Old 9 Jan 2007, 22:25 (Ref:1810797)   #9
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
There is? How do you work that out JAG? I really would be very interested to know. From where Im sitting though the FIA GT Championship has more quality and quantity than the LMS. Thats not to say that some of the LMS teams arent better than some of the FIA GT teams, but overall the FIA GT Championship has the edge.
Old 9 Jan 2007, 23:05 (Ref:1810824)   #10
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
There is? How do you work that out JAG? I really would be very interested to know. From where Im sitting though the FIA GT Championship has more quality and quantity than the LMS. Thats not to say that some of the LMS teams arent better than some of the FIA GT teams, but overall the FIA GT Championship has the edge.
I wish I could agree with you. I would like to see a strong FIAGT Championship with world class grids, but you simply can't ignore the gradual but steady migration of teams from the FIAGT Championship to the Le Mans Series.

The pendulum is undeniably swinging in favour of the Le Mans Series, both in quality and quantity........
Old 9 Jan 2007, 23:11 (Ref:1810831)   #11
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Let's just wait and see what the first race of the season brings for both series shall we? The entry lists for both series should make for interesting viewing. Yes theres a possibilty that the LMS may have more teams, but whether or not they are better is a differnt matter. Personally I beleive the FIA GT teams are of a higher calibre. The main reason that the LMS is attracting teams at the moment is due to the fact that the calender is mainly European and the budget required is far less of that than the FIA GT Championship.
Old 9 Jan 2007, 23:27 (Ref:1810841)   #12
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Racing Box is a FIA race organization. They still have a GT-3 team in FIA and have chosen to bring their GT-1 effort to the LMS!

L.P.
Old 9 Jan 2007, 23:31 (Ref:1810844)   #13
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Yes but considering they were never really in FIA GT they arent taking it from FIA GT into the LMS. they are however taking it from Italian GT to the LMS.
Old 10 Jan 2007, 00:53 (Ref:1810879)   #14
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
LNT, Oreca, Modena, Alphand, Larbe, GPC for starters.
Old 10 Jan 2007, 01:27 (Ref:1810895)   #15
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Okay firstly, all of the above teams were in the LMS last year as well as well as the FIA GT Championship in some cases.

If however you were comparing the level of teams FIA GT has teams exclusive to them who are more than a match for the teams in the LMS. How about these for teams who only compete in FIA GT.

Vitaphone, BMS, GPLK, Zakspeed, AF Corse, JMB Racing.
Old 10 Jan 2007, 02:01 (Ref:1810905)   #16
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's undeniable though that there are less teams in FIA GT1 than their were a few years ago, and the GT1 class in LMS has grown.

That said - GT2 has developed well in both series as well. My personal view is whereas before we had one series more GT, the other prototype based - we now have two series with very strong GT classes considering the number and spread of events (that there are more FIA GT events over a wider area, whilst LMS now has it's strong GT categories for it's fewer European events).

Can't see anything wrong with that.

As for how long that will stay that way is another matter. Obviously with the many rule changes in FIA GT, 2007 will be something of a first time for many teams to assess running costs, competitivity and interest - and not till much later in the season will it be clear if this mean's teams will flock to or from the series.

A balance of teams in each series is good anyway surely? We wouldn't want all the bad ones in one?
Old 10 Jan 2007, 06:58 (Ref:1810992)   #17
Satorian
Veteran

European Union
Indeed, GT2 developed quite nicely in the recent two years or so.

It is undeniable that the FIA GT has strong and professional teams, and while I am one of those that perceives a slowly developing shift towards LMS, I do think that the FIA GT1 still has a (small) upper hand on the LMS ones. But, should the bigger manufacturers in LMS pitch in and look after professional and extensive TV coverage to make their racing efforts worth it in terms of intended promotion, then I can see the major FIA GT teams jump ship at some point.

FIA GT TV coverage is a joke right now, especially in Germany, which has to be a developing country according to the way it is (not) prioritized on a level with, say, GB or Italy.
Old 10 Jan 2007, 08:27 (Ref:1811034)   #18
AstonGeoff
Veteran

England
Witney
AstonGeoff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
satorian - From the horse's mouth???? Nearly a year ago maybe!!!!
Old 10 Jan 2007, 09:07 (Ref:1811066)   #19
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I perceive the FIAGT Championship to be a series in decline, almost in freefall. The teams are voting with their feet to the benefit of other series. FIAGT has lost it's focus and much of it's credibility as the pinnacle of GT sportscar racing.

The Le Mans Series doesn't need more teams, car counts are spiralling upwards and in that respect the Series is thriving. It's going to be a very long and difficult uphill struggle for the FIAGT over the next few years..........
Old 10 Jan 2007, 09:14 (Ref:1811077)   #20
Satorian
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstonGeoff
satorian - From the horse's mouth???? Nearly a year ago maybe!!!!
So? Never claimed anything else. I replied to the statement that Team Modena was a very different outfit from Cirtek. Even if under new management, the point was the a former FIA GT team switched over to the LMS.
I haven't heard anything else or new about their makeup in the meantime.
Old 10 Jan 2007, 09:39 (Ref:1811105)   #21
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Perhaps one of the most significant moves is the Proton/ Felbmayer squad - Three GT2 cars in Le Mans Series.

These guys have raced in FIA GT since 1997 - That cannot be good for FIA GT

The reality on Racing Box is that they were very seriously looking at a Maserati entry in FIA GT but have opted for Le Mans Series - The fact that they have done the analysis and decided to go that way is a worrying precedent for FIA GT.
Old 10 Jan 2007, 09:48 (Ref:1811114)   #22
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Goodwin
Perhaps one of the most significant moves is the Proton/ Felbmayer squad - Three GT2 cars in Le Mans Series.

These guys have raced in FIA GT since 1997 - That cannot be good for FIA GT

The reality on Racing Box is that they were very seriously looking at a Maserati entry in FIA GT but have opted for Le Mans Series - The fact that they have done the analysis and decided to go that way is a worrying precedent for FIA GT.
I know you are quite probably closer to the subject than me, but I still think we should hang on until entries are released. I doubt we'll see any major reduction in quantity or quality in FIA GT1.

The Felbmayer situation may simply have been driven by them being fed up with getting panned in GT2 for so many years and have finally decided to go and play in a series with longer races for their fun!
Old 10 Jan 2007, 10:24 (Ref:1811150)   #23
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
There will doubtless be snakes and ladders here but GT1 seems to be struggling for numbers worldwideby comparison with (for instance) LMP2 - With two major European series (and now very few other European avenues to go and play in GT1) I think we are going to see things polarising very rapidly.

The late move to invite FIA GT winners to Le Mans was very interesting - as were the machinations around FIA GT and Le Mans Series links with Interlagos.

I can't remember a year where there was more news around at this stage in pre-season but astonishingly the vast majority is in prototypes - GT1 is very quiet indeed.
Old 10 Jan 2007, 18:34 (Ref:1811651)   #24
JAG
Veteran

England
The bigger teams like Vitaphone may well move over to the LMS, possibly with a prototype, but FIA GT has to worry equally about Euro GT's (the new series that's covered by Eurosport).

They appear to be following the traditions of BPR GT with privateer friendly regs, TV coverage and calender.

You can run cars that are not fully homologated to ACO/FIA regs and be relatively competitive, as the series is not attracting the biggest teams and manufactuers there appears to to be a happy balance .

Last edited by JAG; 10 Jan 2007 at 18:36.
Old 10 Jan 2007, 19:13 (Ref:1811680)   #25
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
The bigger teams like Vitaphone may well move over to the LMS, possibly with a prototype,
It would not surprise me if they switch to LMP1 in 1 or 2 years from now.