Old 6 Dec 2003, 21:26 (Ref:805728)   #1
devil racer nz
Racer

New Zealand
Wellington, New Zealand
devil racer nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
10 day Senna Celebration

From Planet F1.com

It will be 10 years since the death of Ayrton Senna in May 2004 and the organisers of the San Marino Grand Prix are planning to honour F1's greatest driver.

Organisers of the Grand Prix held at the Imola track said there would be 10 days of ceremonies to mark the anniversary. These will include a friendly football match between former Brazilian World Cup stars and F1 drivers such as Michael Schumacher and Giancarlo Fisichella, and a show of cars Senna drove during his career.

The 'ImolAyrton' ceremonies will be focused on the days of the 2004 San Marino GP, scheduled for 23-25 April, and will last until 2 May.

The Williams team and designer Adrian Newey will need to be assured that the Italian authorities have finally decided to close the case about Senna's death once and for all. Williams and Newey were deemed responsible after accusations that the steering column of Senna's car broke causing him to crash. Williams have always denied this and Senna's car has subsequently been returned to the English team after two trials.

In Januray of 2003 Prosecuting Magistrate Rinaldo Rosini tried to re-open the case for a third time arguing that a poor weld on Senna's steering column snapped as the Brazilian entered Imola's flat-out Tamburello curve. Rosini said that Head and Newey, as two of the most senior technical officials in the Williams team at the time, should be held responsible.
Old 6 Dec 2003, 21:35 (Ref:805732)   #2
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope they are going to have a similar tribute to Roland Ratzenberger
Old 6 Dec 2003, 21:39 (Ref:805735)   #3
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I doubt it...
Old 6 Dec 2003, 23:07 (Ref:805780)   #4
ElScOrChO
Racer

ElScOrChO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope I can be there next year!
Old 7 Dec 2003, 13:12 (Ref:805990)   #5
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
10 years have gone by so quickly.

I wonder what sort of tribute they'll do on race day.
Old 7 Dec 2003, 15:36 (Ref:806053)   #6
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Soundslike a great event - a fitting tribute to a great man and racing driver.
Old 7 Dec 2003, 15:36 (Ref:806055)   #7
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As for the tribute on race day, perhaps a 1 minute silence before they leave for the formation lap? Or even a 1 minutes silence on the podium..
Old 7 Dec 2003, 16:03 (Ref:806075)   #8
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
The best tribute they could do would be to return Tamburello and Tosa to their former glory.
Old 7 Dec 2003, 20:54 (Ref:806178)   #9
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So will Barrichello get out his 'Senna special' helmet again - the one he wore at Brazil in 2001.
Old 7 Dec 2003, 21:13 (Ref:806193)   #10
MrBluesman1
Retired
Racer

MrBluesman1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by The Monster
The best tribute they could do would be to return Tamburello and Tosa to their former glory.

I agree on that one.
Old 7 Dec 2003, 22:11 (Ref:806217)   #11
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I get annoyed that they seem to forget that two drivers lost their lives that weekend & i believe it's only fair that if you do a tribute to one you should do a tribute to the other. I know Senna was a champion but his life wasn't anymore important than Ratzenberger's.
Old 7 Dec 2003, 22:35 (Ref:806233)   #12
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It was sad, but inevitable*, that Senna's death is given more weight. I am sure that there will be some time put aside for Razenbergers death too, because you are right that both their lives are as important.

However it is Senna's impact that had such an affect. Much as Clark's did all those years before. Lots of people die, and the majority of those will not have any vast tribute at ten years later. I mean no disrepect to Razenberger at all, but it would be impossible to have a ten day tribute (in terms of F1) to this man.

I feel it is not forgotten, but the scale of the tribute is only possible because it was Senna. And should we feel anger at the Senna tribute because of this?

I remember Le Mans that year. Ratzenberger was due to drive the Toyota that lost our to the Dauer Porsche. His name remained on the car whcih I thought was excellent. When the car suffered mechanical problems close to the end and robbed it of a chance at victory, Eddie Irvine (who replaced Roland) said that it was a good thing becase "he would have hated to miss out on a win".

*similar remark made by Roebuck about Hill/Brise http://www.autosport.com/featuresask...=25433&s=5&l=2

Last edited by Adam43; 7 Dec 2003 at 22:35.
Old 7 Dec 2003, 23:04 (Ref:806244)   #13
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe this is the reason that Imola was seeminly off the calender at one point last year, then quietly was shuffled back on.....

Will be both a sad and happy time. Sad, remember back to the terrible events of that weekend 10 years ago, but happy remembering the life of a great driver (hopefully Drivers, but knowing the media... )

Even better if some of "Senna's best moments" are shown during that weekend!
Old 8 Dec 2003, 13:34 (Ref:806634)   #14
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hopefully they won't forget Ratzenberger, because even Senna wanted to make a tribute to him that weekend...
Old 8 Dec 2003, 19:08 (Ref:806876)   #15
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I can't believe it's ten years already. I remember that day in its every detail. Every single little detail; is forever etched in my memory.

I hope Ratzenberger is given his respect also, but really, I can't see him being given a Senna style celebration. Sad yet inevitable.
Old 9 Dec 2003, 09:50 (Ref:807322)   #16
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Celebrate?
Giving a party?
Absurd.
It was a tragedy, the only feeling for that event can be shy, sorrow, and nostalgia.
The best ceremony is silence...
Old 9 Dec 2003, 11:00 (Ref:807364)   #17
rpolinski
Racer

Australia
rpolinski should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't see anything absurd about celebrating the phenominal life of a great man and commemorating his tragic death.
Old 9 Dec 2003, 13:37 (Ref:807467)   #18
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
nor me.....

I won't exactly be clapping my hands and cheering, but a celebration, yes, I can understand that.
Old 9 Dec 2003, 16:48 (Ref:807614)   #19
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's not the problem of celebrating a superstar and his tremendous accomplishemnts, of course, but the fact of celebrating his death, just in the place where it happened; this should be a sad memorial, not the pretext for celebrations, IMO.
Old 9 Dec 2003, 16:52 (Ref:807617)   #20
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What kind of sick individual would be celebrating his death???