Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 28 Sep 2007, 19:14 (Ref:2025348)   #101
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
any one wonder about speed?
I owuld love if Pimp my..."unique whips" was gone,Pinks was 1 night a week, and 2 less nascar centered shows
the good stuff likie some FIA racing, Super trucks, GT, maybe some south american racing.
oh and DTM and V8 Supercars....
where have those gone? 'Back in the day' is good, but where has 'victory by design' 'legends of motorsports' and 'F1 decade' gone?

Speed can do better
but on topic Grand am racing shows to the everyman... it is the most pro level a club race can be, and the dicing is pretty good- ALOT of banging and crashing- it is fun to see lots of moves being attempted.
ALMS shows good racing, the TV exposure is not as supported on Speed.
anyone see Belle ISle? i heard a whisper of it on TV and watched it...Grand-am races are promoted alot more.
Old 28 Sep 2007, 22:43 (Ref:2025423)   #102
Danske
Veteran

Danske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[Oh, all right. Edited to remove anything but data.]

The one locatable canonical ALMS rating from another forum not lost to the impermenance of the Internet:

Weekend of 8/12/07:

NASCAR NEXTEL Cup, Watkins Glen, ESPN, 2-5:47 p.m. Sunday, 4.1 rating, 9 share, 3,898,000 homes.

CC, Road America, 3-5 p.m. Sunday, ABC, .4 rating, 1 share, 443,000 homes.

ALMS, Road America, 2:30-4:30 p.m. Sunday, NBC, .4 rating, 1 share, 417,000 homes.

[I would say that's one of the lowest rated broadcasts and not representative of the whole season, but since I don't actually have those other numbers that wouldn't be just data so I won't.]
Old 28 Sep 2007, 23:27 (Ref:2025446)   #103
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The other network broadcasts of ALMS were 0.6/1 or 2 share. All of them. They did not go down from the overnights significantly, unlike the Road America one, which plunged from a 0.7 to a 0.4...
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 29 Sep 2007, 05:11 (Ref:2025521)   #104
Danske
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul-collins
The other network broadcasts of ALMS were 0.6/1 or 2 share. All of them.
That would explain why I couldn't remember seeing anything higher than a 0.6 on zap2it, but since I wasn't dedicated to collecting the ratings and given past history I couldn't swear there hadn't been any rated higher. Also, anything lower than that, Road America for example, may not have made the top sports listing over there so I wouldn't have seen that either.
Old 29 Sep 2007, 12:56 (Ref:2025676)   #105
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Guys remember that Speed TV is only on Cable or Hughes ( Dish Netork or DirectTV) , which less then 50% of American House holds have.
Old 29 Sep 2007, 16:42 (Ref:2025837)   #106
Nedley Mandingo
Rookie

United States
Tampa, FL
Nedley Mandingo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Guys remember that Speed TV is only on Cable or Hughes ( Dish Netork or DirectTV) , which less then 50% of American House holds have.
I don't buy your 50% figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Press Release, June 2007
SPEED added 871,000 households in May, lifting the network total to more than 71 million (71,052,000) U.S. households according to Nielsen Media Research.
For comparison, ESPN2 is in roughly 93-4 million households. I think the days of the availability arguments are over as far as Speed is concerned.
Old 29 Sep 2007, 20:26 (Ref:2025979)   #107
Danske
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul-collins
The other network broadcasts of ALMS were 0.6/1 or 2 share. All of them.
Hmm...you're sure about Mid-Ohio? The overnights for that one were cited at the above site as 0.5/1, and I found a reference to finals of 0.4 for it as well.
Old 29 Sep 2007, 20:42 (Ref:2025996)   #108
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedley Mandingo
I don't buy your 50% figure.

For comparison, ESPN2 is in roughly 93-4 million households. I think the days of the availability arguments are over as far as Speed is concerned.

Your right it is 110 million house holds in the US and 71 million have cable TV or Satellite TV
Old 30 Sep 2007, 18:39 (Ref:2027174)   #109
TWK
Veteran

TWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Your right it is 110 million house holds in the US and 71 million have cable TV or Satellite TV
Did I miss something? How can 93 million get ESPN2 when 71 million have cable or satellite? There's something wrong with those figures. Anyone have recent numbers - and a reference?

Last edited by TWK; 30 Sep 2007 at 18:42.
Old 30 Sep 2007, 21:22 (Ref:2027329)   #110
Nedley Mandingo
Rookie

United States
Tampa, FL
Nedley Mandingo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWK
Did I miss something? How can 93 million get ESPN2 when 71 million have cable or satellite? There's something wrong with those figures. Anyone have recent numbers - and a reference?
Info at the Hearst Co. website places ESPN, ESPN2, Lifetime and A&E penetration in the 91-93 millions, so the 71 million figure is clearly wrong.
Old 3 Oct 2007, 04:57 (Ref:2029550)   #111
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Speed is NOT available on every plan that contains ESPN, by any means, so 71 million for Speed availability makes sense.
Old 3 Oct 2007, 14:38 (Ref:2029928)   #112
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Right, Purist, Speed usually is in a second tier.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 3 Oct 2007, 16:40 (Ref:2030006)   #113
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
For most of the US cable subscribers SPEED has been relegated to the digital tiers, and in my case the top digital tier meaning I pay about $15 extra a month just to be able to watch the ALMS and F1 events. Not too many willing to pay that much with only a few other sports networks are included with the package. No matter what the package for either series, the positioning of SPEED, at least on cable, hurts both of their growth and exposure. Although if Fox keeps showing the start of the Daytona 24 maybe more people will look for the channel and demand might decrease the cost.
Old 4 Oct 2007, 13:33 (Ref:2030867)   #114
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
ALMS

A few interesting quotes:

""All victories are great, and all victories are earned because you can't win any race without showing up and being prepared. You have to be in a place that when Lady Luck smiles at you or breaks come your way that you can take advantage of it."

That's the same philosophy Panoz has used in building Petit Le Mans and American Le Mans Series to the level at which they are now. The number of premium auto manufacturers, elite teams and world-class corporate partners can't be matched by any other form of motorsport."

Source: http://www.americanlemans.com/News/Article.aspx?ID=3657

"What I like about it is that the manufacturers are involved and there is a technical freedom that doesn't exist very much in racing any more. You have multiple tire companies involved in the Series, multiple engines and multiple chassis manufacturers. Just about every other form of racing in the world is spec engines, spec tires, spec this and spec that. It is still good racing but it doesn't have to me the level of interest. This also is a place with the great names like Porsche and Ferrari and Corvette and Audi. This is where they come to compete."
Bobby Rahal
Co-owner, Rahal Letterman Racing

More on why we race: Why we race?

Last edited by AU N EGL; 4 Oct 2007 at 13:35.
Old 4 Oct 2007, 15:46 (Ref:2030994)   #115
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
AU N EGL: Dont think that its anything exclusive to ALMS, its the general philosofy of Sportscar racing and has been so for the last 50 years or so (or since the beginning of LeMans even), and which is what makes it so great. Its nothing ALMS has invented or anything...
Old 4 Oct 2007, 15:59 (Ref:2031007)   #116
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheFanNo1
AU N EGL: Dont think that its anything exclusive to ALMS, its the general philosofy of Sportscar racing and has been so for the last 50 years or so (or since the beginning of LeMans even), and which is what makes it so great. Its nothing ALMS has invented or anything...
Very true. Unfortunilty some ppl needed repeated time and time again.
Old 4 Oct 2007, 19:14 (Ref:2031225)   #117
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheFanNo1
BUT ALMS is the ONLY series that at least tries to pay lip service to that philosophy, there ain't nothin else left.

Bob
Old 4 Oct 2007, 20:45 (Ref:2031304)   #118
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Riebe
BUT ALMS is the ONLY series that at least tries to pay lip service to that philosophy, there ain't nothin else left.

Bob
I would argue with that, as the ALMS is not the only series to race to that particular set of rules or ethos!

L.P.

Sorry for being OFF TOPIC!

Last edited by HORNDAWG; 4 Oct 2007 at 20:48. Reason: need
Old 4 Oct 2007, 21:45 (Ref:2031362)   #119
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What males LMS so different from ALMS? Or LeMans for that matter...
Old 4 Oct 2007, 22:39 (Ref:2031402)   #120
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Grand-Am DP's would be a nice support series to the ALMS, just like the Radical World Cup is to the LMS.

Good racing, but you want a little more spice for the headline act.