Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 16 Aug 2009, 21:55 (Ref:2522613)   #151
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Is the timing broken or did BMW just score a 1-2 in GT2?

Impressive stuff guys, way to show of what a great sports car the M3 is
Old 16 Aug 2009, 21:56 (Ref:2522614)   #152
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
2 races 2 podiums and 2 penalties for the Cytosport team! just cut out the mistakes and they have 2 victories!
Old 16 Aug 2009, 22:10 (Ref:2522622)   #153
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was really surprised by how slow the Corvette pit work was today. Both times they pitted before the Lizards Porsche and both times the Porsche beat them out of the pits by a substantial margin. Great driving by the Magnussen/O'Connell pair. Is Johnny getting faster with old age? He was always pretty quick but I always thought he was a little slower than Mags, and the O-boys, but he really seems to have picked up some speed over the last two years and is just as fast as any of them these days.

DK
Old 17 Aug 2009, 12:42 (Ref:2522950)   #154
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
As much as Im a Porsche fan ..... Im delighted to see a new winner up there .

Wow , when was the last time Porsche was trounced in the ALMS by anything other than a Fiat ?

Now it looks like both Porsche and Fiat have their work cut out for them for 2010 . Wonder what they will come up with ?

Great stuff . Why was the Porsche so far behind ? How come BMW was so good ?
Old 17 Aug 2009, 13:31 (Ref:2522989)   #155
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post

Good question. BMW claims their ideal 50/50 weight distribution helped them tackle the corners better than their competitors and that outweighed their lack of top end speed on the long straights. I think it is likely more than that. If their cornering was what won the race for them, I would have thought they would be more competitive on some of the earlier tracks as well. So they may have made some additional upgrades to setup or something that they just came up with that worked really well at the track.
Old 17 Aug 2009, 13:54 (Ref:2523011)   #156
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Regarding what "Fiat" has to do, someone mentioned on the SPEED broadcast that they will be getting more weight but the bigger Michelin tires. Presumably this also means restrictor changes, which I believe was mentioned, but I forget what the commentator said.

Chris
Old 17 Aug 2009, 13:55 (Ref:2523014)   #157
Satorian
Veteran

European Union
Satorian has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
Post Long Beach. They are at #1245 with 2 restrictors @29.8
Here Bulletin #09-11
Thanks, Horndawg! That's what I meant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Satorian, I very much doubt that those old restrictor breaks apply anymore. Those were the old E46, straight-6-powered cars that ran a few years ago. The E92 M3s with the 4.0-litre V8s are new for this year.
Umm, no. I meant the bulletin as linked by Horndawg.
Old 17 Aug 2009, 17:44 (Ref:2523137)   #158
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
As much as Im a Porsche fan ..... Im delighted to see a new winner up there .

Wow , when was the last time Porsche was trounced in the ALMS by anything other than a Fiat ?

Now it looks like both Porsche and Fiat have their work cut out for them for 2010 . Wonder what they will come up with ?

Also, a nice win for Dunlop.
Old 17 Aug 2009, 18:44 (Ref:2523168)   #159
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
When did the last non-Michelin shod car win a GT-2 race?
Old 17 Aug 2009, 20:03 (Ref:2523201)   #160
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
good catch, JH.
at least 6 in a row for the michelin this but i can't find anything quickly about the last win for dunlop or the last no michelin win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
How come BMW was so good ?
did we ever see who had the best straight line speed? maybe they had something on the other cars at Road AMR, but i would like think that the drivers and the team are finally finding the true speed in the car.

i just love it when a plan comes together.
Old 17 Aug 2009, 20:19 (Ref:2523214)   #161
fjn356
Rookie

fjn356 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was I off! The 'vettes were not so fast on the straights as the BMWs and Lizard. And, while I have seen some excellent drivers and riders be caught out by 5, I never thought Pat Long would make a mistake that late in the race.
As for the speeds of the BMWs, there are obvious body openings that seem to violate ACO rules and, of course, the recent restrictor increase. They also seemed to run lower ride heights than the Porsches at Road America. It seems almost impossible to balance performance between different makes, but I think IMSA does an excellent job overall. Look at the qualifying times of the top four makes.
Another great Road America for ALMS.
Old 17 Aug 2009, 20:49 (Ref:2523250)   #162
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
When did the last non-Michelin shod car win a GT-2 race?
If I'm not mistaken, it was also the last time an non-Porsche/Ferrari won. I believe the Multimatic Panoz was on Pirellis at Sebring in 2006.
Old 17 Aug 2009, 21:08 (Ref:2523267)   #163
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post

did we ever see who had the best straight line speed? maybe they had something on the other cars at Road AMR, but i would like think that the drivers and the team are finally finding the true speed in the car.

i just love it when a plan comes together.
I don't know who had the top speed in gt2 but I heard the announcers say that Intersport did in the P categories. I saw the Viper pass everybody in sight on the front straight but got overtaken by all in braking for Turn 1 - it was crazy.
Old 17 Aug 2009, 21:13 (Ref:2523270)   #164
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
MJ_N_09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
^ I guess they got the restrictor off the Viper.
Old 17 Aug 2009, 22:13 (Ref:2523309)   #165
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I saw the Viper pass everybody in sight on the front straight but got overtaken by all in braking for Turn 1 - it was crazy.
I saw that too, but that car couldn't make a turn as it wound up in the gravel trap a few times.

DK
Old 17 Aug 2009, 22:15 (Ref:2523311)   #166
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonerz View Post
Regarding what "Fiat" has to do, someone mentioned on the SPEED broadcast that they will be getting more weight but the bigger Michelin tires. Presumably this also means restrictor changes, which I believe was mentioned, but I forget what the commentator said.

Chris
But that was for next year, right?

DK
Old 17 Aug 2009, 23:21 (Ref:2523364)   #167
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah, sorry DK. That was a response to what the Badger said, my bad.

Chris
Old 18 Aug 2009, 10:46 (Ref:2523599)   #168
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
What was for next year please mate ?
Old 18 Aug 2009, 13:26 (Ref:2523706)   #169
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Anybody know of any attendance figures for the race? I heard they were better than expected from an attendee, but haven't seen any real numbers.
Old 18 Aug 2009, 16:56 (Ref:2523810)   #170
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Quote:
The weight and tire adjustments on the Ferrari. RE: your post on BMW domination and Porsche and Fiat.

Chris
Old 18 Aug 2009, 21:01 (Ref:2523966)   #171
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
Quote:
The changes Chris was discussing for the Fiats.

DK
Old 19 Aug 2009, 19:06 (Ref:2524544)   #172
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I assume the Viper is still overweight, but does anyone know by how much?
Old 19 Aug 2009, 19:10 (Ref:2524547)   #173
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
SPEED mentioned 100lbs overweight. So presumably that at least.

Chris