Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 8 Apr 2006, 13:02 (Ref:1573887)   #51
Alan Cherry
Veteran

England
Alan Cherry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
44 entries could be 43 soon !
Anyone got any useful suggestions - Astra won't go. has MBE management system (967EF) all checked out perfect by MBE last week. Has brand new loom from GWR Motorsport in Swindon picked up yesterday and I watched the man bench test it before I picked it up - perfect.
I'm not getting any spark - when you plug a laptop in all sensors are giving sensible readings, but says 0 rpm when cranked, hence no spark.
Have two crank sensors that are giving correct readings, and if you flash a screwdriver across end of sensor, lo and behold, you get readings of revs on the laptop. the sensor is driven by a toothed ring with some teeth missing inside the block. have checked this, it's not loose, it's turning ( part of crank ) and there is about a 2mm air gap to end of sensors.
Getting close to the gallon of petrol and box of matches stage - any constructive suggestions would be welcome
Old 8 Apr 2006, 13:09 (Ref:1573898)   #52
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
graham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgraham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
alan, ok you have a zero rpm reading on cranking, what about the other sensor readings have you still got them, if it might be the ecu isn't seeing a live feed on cranking, ingnition switch problem maybe?

its not speed thats dangerous, just the sudden lack of it!
Old 8 Apr 2006, 13:16 (Ref:1573909)   #53
Alan Cherry
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by graham bahr
alan, ok you have a zero rpm reading on cranking, what about the other sensor readings have you still got them, if it might be the ecu isn't seeing a live feed on cranking, ingnition switch problem maybe?
Graham, I've sent you a pm, but all the other sensor information seems to remain ok e.g doesn't drop back to default values.
Old 8 Apr 2006, 13:29 (Ref:1573917)   #54
grichie87
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Kingsdown
grichie87 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Cherry
Graham, I've sent you a pm, but all the other sensor information seems to remain ok e.g doesn't drop back to default values.
MBE Systems, The Elliott Centre Love Lane Ind. Est., Cirencester, GL7 1YS, England
Tel General: +44 1285 883030 Fax: +44 1285 883020
info@mbesystems.com www.mbesystems.com

4 Cylinder Tacho Signal (Open Collector with 12v Pullup)

Tacho Signal can source about 14mA
IMPORTANT NOTE
In some instances we have seen tachos such as VDO, although supposed to run on this signal, appear to drag the output voltage of the tacho signal down to approx. 3 volts. On some occasions this has been overcome by fitting a 390 ohm (1 watt) resistor across the tacho signal wire on the tacho and its 12V supply wire.
Old 8 Apr 2006, 13:35 (Ref:1573921)   #55
grichie87
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Kingsdown
grichie87 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Hi Alan,
check the flywheel/crank if you have changed any of the parts it maybe a missmatch. Steve Broughton at SBD motorsport is magic on MBE stuff. graham
Old 8 Apr 2006, 13:35 (Ref:1573923)   #56
Alan Cherry
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by graham bahr
Graham, I think I love you and want to have your babies - Dodgy ign feed . not permanently fixed yet, but at least i've found it. You'll have no trouble lapping me at Brands now - I'll even go on the grass to let you by !
Old 8 Apr 2006, 13:39 (Ref:1573925)   #57
Alan Cherry
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by grichie87
MBE Systems, The Elliott Centre Love Lane Ind. Est., Cirencester, GL7 1YS, England
Tel General: +44 1285 883030 Fax: +44 1285 883020
info@mbesystems.com www.mbesystems.com

4 Cylinder Tacho Signal (Open Collector with 12v Pullup)

Tacho Signal can source about 14mA
IMPORTANT NOTE
In some instances we have seen tachos such as VDO, although supposed to run on this signal, appear to drag the output voltage of the tacho signal down to approx. 3 volts. On some occasions this has been overcome by fitting a 390 ohm (1 watt) resistor across the tacho signal wire on the tacho and its 12V supply wire.
Graham, I'm running a STACK, but thanks for the info - mind you ifit got desparate I'd run without the rev counter - I've got a hard and soft limiter plus shift light. bugger I've forgotten what colour dot I am !
Old 8 Apr 2006, 15:16 (Ref:1573972)   #58
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Glad you got it sorted Alan as I was just about to offer to lend you a nice dual point Mallory distributer (whats all this ECU and laptop millarkly ).
Old 8 Apr 2006, 15:57 (Ref:1573991)   #59
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Oh the other beast (Yellow car) still lives as well. I thought it had lunched a head gasket when it threw a belt at Snetterton but all it has done is split the rocker gaskets causing oil to go all over the headers and the water from the exhausts must have been condensaton cause it ain't doing it now, the system is not over pressurising and I left it ticking over for half an hour and it still never over heated, no evidence of oil in water or water in oil so fingers crossed she's OK for now.
Old 8 Apr 2006, 19:39 (Ref:1574079)   #60
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
graham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgraham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Graham, I think I love you and want to have your babies - Dodgy ign feed . not permanently fixed yet, but at least i've found it. You'll have no trouble lapping me at Brands now - I'll even go on the grass to let you by !
not worries Alan , glad to help, and after being awarded "hero of the year " last year for mending everyones cars ( thanks to the organisers behind it) i thought i'd better live up to it

Old 8 Apr 2006, 20:13 (Ref:1574105)   #61
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Well with me and Rob out there Graham you had better brush up on yer V8's. :-)
Old 8 Apr 2006, 22:03 (Ref:1574178)   #62
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Glad to hear that the yellow peril is OK.

One thing that worries me about Saturday (I've actually been reading the Final Instructions!!)

OK, I keep relatively fit, but no engines before 0815, and our scrutineering is 0735. And someone was kind enough to put the scrutineering bay half way up the hill - it's about time Mr Palmer moved it to near Hailwoods, or similar. I can hardly expect my wife and 13month old son to help push my beast up there!

Who's feeling strong? (torque biasing diff's are fun to push around the paddock!)

Rob.
Old 9 Apr 2006, 07:05 (Ref:1574306)   #63
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Well sorry I will be driving mine it is simply too heavy to push or they will have to do what they did at Snetterton last week and come out to us, they may well do that under the circumstances.
Old 9 Apr 2006, 08:56 (Ref:1574365)   #64
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who mentioned pushing cars?
I'm not there in that case. Gone to get some beer.
Old 9 Apr 2006, 09:09 (Ref:1574373)   #65
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Top man!
Old 9 Apr 2006, 12:05 (Ref:1574508)   #66
andypipe
Veteran

England
Essex
andypipe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ive got a tow rope and pick up truck if thsts any help. Thats how im gonna do mine
Old 9 Apr 2006, 12:12 (Ref:1574515)   #67
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Good idea Andy, i'll pack a rope as well. Would they scrutineer it on the trailer I wonder, it is a flat bed so everything is accessable and all the doors can be opened.
Old 9 Apr 2006, 16:30 (Ref:1574642)   #68
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
Good idea Andy, i'll pack a rope as well. Would they scrutineer it on the trailer I wonder, it is a flat bed so everything is accessable and all the doors can be opened.
i once saw a scruitineer log book a sprint car on a trailer so why not?

Old 9 Apr 2006, 18:22 (Ref:1574708)   #69
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
One problemo. My motorhome won't go through scrutineering with the trailer on the back.

I think the scrutineers should come to us, since we cannot drive to them, due to the rules laid down by the circuit/officials of the meeting.

If we were "big boys" and hidden away in the garages, they'd come over to see us there.

Rod - you have the ear of those in ivory towers, any chance of having a word?

Rob.
Old 10 Apr 2006, 08:10 (Ref:1575265)   #70
Flat Out Farr
Racer

United Kingdom
Great Denham, Bedfordshire
Flat Out Farr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The scrutineers have been known to do that! At Gurston, they come round to see you; I have experienced that at Silverstone, in the past, @ a BARC-SE meeting! Top marks to them. Their job can be "between a rock and a hard place", but it is only those who can't prepare their car correctly that moan.
Old 10 Apr 2006, 08:49 (Ref:1575301)   #71
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
I agree. They came around to us at Snetterton the other week in the Classic Touring Car round.

And when I had Rob's Torrey Canyon problem (watering the track with oil and water) and had to be rescrutineered they came out of their way to find me in the pits to re-scrutineer the car but unfortunately I could not fix it, top marks. I find most (all) of the guys very fair and its not an MoT test after all with someone trying to fail you to make a few quid, it is mainly all about our safety.
Old 10 Apr 2006, 15:40 (Ref:1577725)   #72
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Its nice when the scrute come and visit us in the garage - not so nice sometimes when they get there early and have done half your car when you get to the circuit... (then have to go to sign on in bottom paddock)
Old 10 Apr 2006, 17:22 (Ref:1577814)   #73
Rod Birley
Veteran

England
West Kingsdown (near Brands Hatch)
Rod Birley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I called in to see the BRSCC today and Vicki did ask the chief scrutineer. However, he is struggling to get enough scrutineers so unfortunately we do have to go to the bay. Engines may be started but not revved i.e. tickover to move around slowly (if that helps) or a tow rope behind another vehicle. I did try!
Old 10 Apr 2006, 19:01 (Ref:1577898)   #74
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
Thanks Rod.

Now tickover - that's going to be interesting. Slippy clutch - stall - restart (blip), slippy clutch - stall - restart (blip)......

Rob.
Old 10 Apr 2006, 20:14 (Ref:1577959)   #75
Alan Cherry
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Birley
I called in to see the BRSCC today and Vicki did ask the chief scrutineer. However, he is struggling to get enough scrutineers so unfortunately we do have to go to the bay. Engines may be started but not revved i.e. tickover to move around slowly (if that helps) or a tow rope behind another vehicle. I did try!
AGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just wish mine would start or tickover - any chance of a tow rope to the back of yours during the race Rod ! I've run out of ideas on mine - injectors squirt nicely, plugs spark, but now nothing ! Ive had the ECM tested by the manufacturers, and a brand new loom made. Even the guy Andy Pipe suggested never called back - If he could have helped, I would have got him to remap the bugger.
I'll be there to watch though - and support my cousin in my old Fiesta