Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Notices

Old 19 Dec 2020, 13:45 (Ref:4023909)   #16
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!
The question is whether you can polish this particular t***. Part of the problem for me is it one of the flattest circuits you can imagine, so even with slight modifications it would still be too sterile. I donít mind circuits with different character, but the problem is if you have circuits with no character in the first place!
Old 20 Dec 2020, 08:20 (Ref:4024067)   #17
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Another version. Changed the bottom left section, the key thing for me is a long braking zone into a more open hairpin. The hairpins often employed at modern tracks are flat, with a well defined apex. This gives little opportunity for multiple lines. I much prefer hairpins with a vague apex and banked, gives more chance for better racing. I have also adjusted the exit corners on that other complex to make them flow better, so it goes from slow - medium - fast - fast.
I like your proposals apart from making it one long straight. For me it would be more boring. I don't mind that there is a chicane in the middle. It's just that the shape of the chicane doesn't really help prolonging the fight throughout the chicane onto the next straight.

I also like the look of your bottom left section. Flows nicely into the marina section.

Bottom right works well as well I reckon. In your version it is indeed better not to use the inside alternative of corner 4 to allow the follower to get closer behind or next to the car in front before braking into the hairpin. The guy in front then gets the same dilemma as in my proposal do I cover the inside but compromise exit speed or do I go outside risk a late move to the inside. I would extend it a bit more to the right though. Not as far as the current hairpin for safety reasons, but closer to the right gives the stands a closer looks and prolongs the straights before and after a tiny bit to give the car behind a bit more time to get close enough.

The current chicane does not work. It lines up the cars behind each other and is then far enough away for the hairpin to let the guy in front safely choose the wide entry for best exit speed.

In my variant the closer chicane means that the car in front has the use more of it's tyres lateral grip to get back to an outside entry of the hairpin, compromising traction. This lack of traction together with the fact that the line out of the chicane directly towards the inside of the hairpin is also the shortest, gives the guy behind a chance to launch his car into the inside of the hairpin. I do think it should be a bit tighter than I drew it to slow the cars down more for safety and to give the car behind more chance to launch to the inside more.

So I reckon both variants would work better than the current one. The current chicane there, with it's shape and location, actually hinders overtaking more than anything else.

Last edited by Taxi645; 20 Dec 2020 at 08:31.
Constructive discussion: A conversion where participants are maximally open to yet critical of each others arguments, with the intend of enhancing the knowledge, understanding and/or handling of it's subject.
Old 20 Dec 2020, 08:27 (Ref:4024068)   #18
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
The question is whether you can polish this particular t***. Part of the problem for me is it one of the flattest circuits you can imagine, so even with slight modifications it would still be too sterile. I donít mind circuits with different character, but the problem is if you have circuits with no character in the first place!

I don't think you can give it much more character, but now it's lacks a bit of character and does not provide good racing. At least the latter part can be fixed.

If at least it becomes a good track to race on and combine it with the marina flair some actually do quite like, I reckon it wouldn't be that bad.
Constructive discussion: A conversion where participants are maximally open to yet critical of each others arguments, with the intend of enhancing the knowledge, understanding and/or handling of it's subject.
Old 20 Dec 2020, 09:57 (Ref:4024080)   #19
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!
I think another problem with the circuit is there's no flow to it. Bahrain and Shanghai for example, aren't the greatest tracks, but they do seem to flow better and that's what makes the circuits have a bit more interesting than they would be better otherwise
Old 20 Dec 2020, 10:21 (Ref:4024091)   #20
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Part of the problem for me is it one of the flattest circuits you can imagine, so even with slight modifications it would still be too sterile. I donít mind circuits with different character, but the problem is if you have circuits with no character in the first place!
What would you propose to add 'character' to a track?
IIRC, Silverstone is quite flat but is rarely criticised for being so. Shanghai, Singapore, Canada, Hockenheim, Mexico, Albert Park and Sochi are all flatter than Yas Marina.
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/features/2016/10/highs-and-lows---which-f1-track-has-the-most-elevation-changes-.html
Old 20 Dec 2020, 10:23 (Ref:4024092)   #21
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
I think another problem with the circuit is there's no flow to it. Bahrain and Shanghai for example, aren't the greatest tracks, but they do seem to flow better and that's what makes the circuits have a bit more interesting than they would be better otherwise

Yes, I do hope the 2022 regulations with cars being able to better to follow will slowly change views on what makes a good track. Narrow flow tracks now are difficult because you loose much distance and over a stint tyre performance because of the dirty air.

Hopefully from 2022 staying closer or the curvy parts of the track will open up lot's more subtle ways to initiate an overtake in stead of the blunt instrument that is DRS. They should've done it in 2018, but at least we do get it in 2022.
Old 20 Dec 2020, 12:22 (Ref:4024102)   #22
S griffin
Veteran

Yes, thatís what F1 should be about. Fast flowing circuits, not blooming stop start circuits. If we had cars that could follow each other to begin with we would have had no need to change circuits, even if some like the Hungaroring have been improved.
Old 21 Dec 2020, 06:45 (Ref:4024278)   #23
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Yes, thatís what F1 should be about. Fast flowing circuits, not blooming stop start circuits. If we had cars that could follow each other to begin with we would have had no need to change circuits, even if some like the Hungaroring have been improved.
Echoed by Sainz at the bottom of the article:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/camber-boring-abu-dhabi-ocon/4929649/?ic_source=home-page-widget&ic_medium=widget&ic_campaign=widget-1

Of course it's better to first wait and see what the 2022 cars will bring to the table before going overboard and committing to the really big changes.
Old 21 Dec 2020, 10:07 (Ref:4024305)   #24
S griffin
Veteran

Both Ocon and Sainz are in favour of more cambered corners. I have to agree with them. Not only can it make the racing better, but it also is more challenging for the drivers too
Old 22 Dec 2020, 00:51 (Ref:4024481)   #25
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Both Ocon and Sainz are in favour of more cambered corners. I have to agree with them. Not only can it make the racing better, but it also is more challenging for the drivers too
They need more off cambered corners too, especially leading onto a straight.
There is a huge penalty all the way down the straight if you get the corner even slightly wrong.

On reflection, wake turbulence would mean nothing ever got to overtake the car in front of it. So dump this idea.
Old 24 Dec 2020, 11:34 (Ref:4025008)   #26
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSodemo should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSodemo should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSodemo should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
V3, with different interpretation of the middle chicane and no more long straight. I tried to create a chicane which would be fast and challenge drivers (maybe like Eau Rouge - but without the greatness).
Attached Thumbnails
myv3Yas_Marina_Circuit,_October_12,_2018_SkySat_(cropped).jpg  
Old 24 Dec 2020, 11:54 (Ref:4025019)   #27
S griffin
Veteran

I seem to remember they were originally going to use that Eau Rouge type corner just after the pit exit that you can see on the map. Still wouldnít have done much for the rest of the circuit though
Old 24 Dec 2020, 15:56 (Ref:4025081)   #28
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Just how could they get a eau rouge type corner on Yas
Itís flat!
Need a new fleet of Al Jaber ships to move enough dirt
Be highest place in Abu Dhabi or build a new circuit out at Habshan using the high dunes?
Old 24 Dec 2020, 16:02 (Ref:4025082)   #29
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Just how could they get a eau rouge type corner on Yas
Itís flat!
Need a new fleet of Al Jaber ships to move enough dirt
Be highest place in Abu Dhabi or build a new circuit out at Habshan using the high dunes?
You can always dig down to create elevation changes.
Old 24 Dec 2020, 16:08 (Ref:4025083)   #30
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
The water table is about 3 cms!
Itís a man made island!
Hope they donít have a major storm!