Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Notices

Old 31 Dec 2020, 13:46 (Ref:4026061)   #16
bathurst77
Racer

Australia
NSW
bathurst77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbathurst77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
He's moving to Aston Martin?
only a short Stroll away
Old 31 Dec 2020, 13:50 (Ref:4026062)   #17
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B is going for a new lap record!E.B is going for a new lap record!E.B is going for a new lap record!E.B is going for a new lap record!E.B is going for a new lap record!E.B is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwent View Post
Well he is well practiced at kneeling!

Best post of the year so far. (Its already 2021 for me)
Old 31 Dec 2020, 14:13 (Ref:4026069)   #18
Aysedasi
Bubbling over...
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77 View Post
only a short Stroll away
See what you did there......
Old 31 Dec 2020, 17:00 (Ref:4026097)   #19
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Can someone explain why this is any different than getting some award, or like an Emmy for an actor? Some "royal" awards a celebrity. Yay?.....
Old 31 Dec 2020, 17:17 (Ref:4026100)   #20
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
Can someone explain why this is any different than getting some award, or like an Emmy for an actor? Some "royal" awards a celebrity. Yay?.....
Typically, an 'award' is given to mark a certain time-bound occasion.
So each year a certain number of Emmys are given out in defined categories for the preceding year.

Honours are used to recognise merit in terms of achievement and service over an undefined timeframe, and should place the recipient in an 'honoured' position within an 'order'. This should see them as a role model to other inhabitants of the realm.
Old 31 Dec 2020, 17:28 (Ref:4026102)   #21
Adam43
14th
20KPINAL

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Here is an article that explains some of the details. https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/30641853

It’s not really like an Emmy as that is for a particular discipline. This is an honor from the country to its citizen.

Anyone can nominate someone
https://www.gov.uk/honours/types-of-honours-and-awards

I suppose it is equivalent of the various awards and decorations that are bestowed in the US. Although I don’t know of the details. Or are they more like winning Dancing with Stars?
Old 31 Dec 2020, 18:26 (Ref:4026119)   #22
justracing
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hate to be contentious but I'm afraid that I fail to see the worthiness compared to John Surtees achievements and I personally strongly object to political manipulation in sport. Since Lewis doesn't reside or pay taxes in the UK(to the best of my knowledge), surely this is a debatable award?
Old 31 Dec 2020, 19:34 (Ref:4026129)   #23
Adam43
14th
20KPINAL

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
We don’t know why Surtees wasn’t knighted. I agree it would have been good. Maybe he didn’t want it? Maybe it just got lost in the post. Maybe everyone just moaned about it on the internet and no one filled in the form? That John Surtees didn’t get one doesn’t mean another shouldn’t.

It is awful that someone highlighting an injustice in the world is considered political. And in case we go there he equally doesn’t have to speak out about every other justice in the world. But talking about this is far easier than accepting and talking about there being an injustice. Talking about an injustice and one where it is difficult how we can do something directly is difficult. We should try.

You don’t have to live in the UK to receive this award. And there are a lot of previous peopled honored who have not been. Including sportsmen.

Shame that his achievements, and indeed what he says, are ignored by these, IMHO, tiresome and easy distractions.

Sorry. It’s not directed at you, more Twitter I guess!

Sir Lewis Hamilton is a seven times world champion. And one that has leant his voice to an important cause. Although I believe that this was simply for services to motorsport. Hopefully trying to promote a cause about equality doesn’t preclude you from receiving such an honor.
Old 31 Dec 2020, 20:00 (Ref:4026134)   #24
justracing
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is absolutely no doubt that Sir Lewis Hamilton"s sporting achievements are quite outstanding and I applaud his success but I'm afraid I find his actions outside the cockpit grind with me more than a little but I'm getting on a bit and probably hold quite purist views on some subjects.
Old 31 Dec 2020, 20:05 (Ref:4026136)   #25
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
To clarify, yes - Hamilton's entry is for 'services to Motorsports'.
Old 31 Dec 2020, 20:28 (Ref:4026144)   #26
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid has a real shot at the championship!MGDavid has a real shot at the championship!MGDavid has a real shot at the championship!MGDavid has a real shot at the championship!MGDavid has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
To clarify, yes - Hamilton's entry is for 'services to Motorsports'.
to clarify further, he was put forward for one in 2017 but refused by the Cabinet Office (IIRC) on account of his alleged murky tax affairs.
This time Motorsport UK proposed him and did an amount of work to clarify his financial affairs, which they claimed had been misunderstood to a large degree 3 years ago.
It's also worth noting that because he lives abroad he appears in the Overseas division of the Honours List, which exists for exactly this situation.
Old 31 Dec 2020, 20:56 (Ref:4026148)   #27
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
I hate to be contentious but I'm afraid that I fail to see the worthiness compared to John Surtees achievements and I personally strongly object to political manipulation in sport. Since Lewis doesn't reside or pay taxes in the UK(to the best of my knowledge), surely this is a debatable award?
Jim Clark OBE - Tax Residence Switzerland
Jenson Button MBE - Tax Residence Monaco/ Jersey
Damon Hill MBE - Tax Residence Monaco
Nigel Mansell CBE - Tax Residence IOM/ Jersey
Sir Jackie Stewart - Tax Residence Switzerland

You have a problem and also protested when they gained their awards too, I assume?

His worthiness? Being the most sucressful F1 driver in history. If you have a problem with that then I guess Sir Steve Redgrave or Sir Chris Hoy shouldnít be awarded either?

If you donít like hamilton then fine....but donít try to disguise it and hold him to a different set of rules to the others listed above.

Also brush up on your knowledge....he pays taxes in the UK and has been done to death in the past
Old 31 Dec 2020, 21:04 (Ref:4026150)   #28
midgetman
Veteran

England
Rural Wiltshire
midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!
I don't think LH should have a Sirhood. But that's because I think the whole "honours" system is an anachronism in the 21st Century. Get rid of it.

I applaud Lewis for his skill, I admire his fair play on track and I respect his views off them (whether I agree or not is between me and my conscience, please don't ascribe anything to that statement). I do not need three little letters before his name to feel that way. I'm quite a fan of his already, admittedly.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 31 Dec 2020, 21:09 (Ref:4026151)   #29
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
I don't think LH should have a Sirhood. But that's because I think the whole "honours" system is an anachronism in the 21st Century. Get rid of it.

I applaud Lewis for his skill, I admire his fair play on track and I respect his views off them (whether I agree or not is between me and my conscience, please don't ascribe anything to that statement). I do not need three little letters before his name to feel that way. I'm quite a fan of his already, admittedly.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Thatís a fair enough comment. I suppose it comes down to peopleís perspective on society, the monarchy, traditions etc

Iím kinda with you in some respects, the problem is they opened Pandoraís box and itís almost a thing they have to do every year just because they did the year before....itís a bit like the peerage system or honarary degrees.
Old 31 Dec 2020, 22:04 (Ref:4026154)   #30
Adam43
14th
20KPINAL

European Union
New Orleans
It’s nice for a country to recognize its citizens achievements. Whatever they are. From the stars to the everyday heros that make up most of the list.

Also have no problem with honorary degrees either. These are honorary.

As for House of Lords. I’d like to think of a better way than chosen by the current government, but I wouldn’t want it to be elected either. Less political please.