Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 20 Mar 2019, 12:17 (Ref:3892098)   #2676
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I hope they reports go well. Be nice if you could share them with us. Writing for anyone in particular?
Old 20 Mar 2019, 12:19 (Ref:3892101)   #2677
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
This has got to be a nightmare for any car manufacturer, let alone Porsche!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...st-France.html
Aparently it ran aground 15000 feet below sea level. Who writes this stiff?
Old 20 Mar 2019, 12:25 (Ref:3892102)   #2678
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I had to read that twice to get the writer’s meaning.....
Old 20 Mar 2019, 12:27 (Ref:3892104)   #2679
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Grimaldi seems to be an apt name - they seem to have a lot of bad luck. Wasn't it also one of their ships that arrived in England with a cargo of illegals recently?
Old 20 Mar 2019, 12:30 (Ref:3892105)   #2680
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I had to read that twice to get the writer’s meaning.....
Which is. It sank in 15000ft of water 150 miles off the coast of France.
Old 20 Mar 2019, 12:32 (Ref:3892107)   #2681
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Yes, it happened just like that. It happens
Old 20 Mar 2019, 12:36 (Ref:3892109)   #2682
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I hope they reports go well. Be nice if you could share them with us. Writing for anyone in particular?

No just for myself.I'll share some good ones.
Old 20 Mar 2019, 12:36 (Ref:3892110)   #2683
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
We have to change barn find to coral find then? What about the DMC cars?
I joke because reports say all the sailors are fine.
Old 20 Mar 2019, 12:40 (Ref:3892112)   #2684
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
They’re a great way to practice punctuation and grammar!
Oui, oui, je confirme, absolument! Ce n'est pas obligatoire, n'est-ce pas, mais tellement préférable entre gens de bonne compagnie fréquentant la meilleure société.For certain language expect a change happening within the next ten days!
Old 20 Mar 2019, 13:07 (Ref:3892127)   #2685
S griffin
Veteran

Well we’ll always have our own language, as will other countries
Old 20 Mar 2019, 13:09 (Ref:3892129)   #2686
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Yes but some languages as yours make your travels easier. French is rather useless in this matter.
Old 20 Mar 2019, 13:10 (Ref:3892130)   #2687
S griffin
Veteran

Of course, so many recognise English. French is good for abroad though
Old 20 Mar 2019, 13:10 (Ref:3892131)   #2688
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Anyone that insures with Hagerty will no doubt have had their latest email ‘newsletter’. Sometimes they go straight into my trash folder, but occasionally there’s an interesting piece within. If you think the Jaguar Mk X is good looking, you may not want to see what one American owner has done to his. I think it’s an improvement.....

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...esday_March_19

And in the pic of his Dad’s E Type, is that a Farina Wolseley or Riley behind?
Old 20 Mar 2019, 13:20 (Ref:3892134)   #2689
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Anyone that insures with Hagerty will no doubt have had their latest email ‘newsletter’. Sometimes they go straight into my trash folder, but occasionally there’s an interesting piece within. If you think the Jaguar Mk X is good looking, you may not want to see what one American owner has done to his. I think it’s an improvement.....

Hot Wheels did a similar job on the Mk 10 some years ago!

I would say it is a Wolseley in the background of the other shot.
Old 20 Mar 2019, 13:23 (Ref:3892136)   #2690
S griffin
Veteran

Well they are good at that thing. Some people with money spend it well
Old 20 Mar 2019, 13:23 (Ref:3892137)   #2691
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

I think it is the Wolseley, MIke. They had the two tone arrow style, whereas the Riley two tone was split upper and lower along the length of the coach strip if that is the word for the chrome trim. Happy to be corrected on that. Bob will know!
Old 20 Mar 2019, 13:23 (Ref:3892138)   #2692
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Hot Wheels did a similar job on the Mk 10 some years ago!

I would say it is a Wolseley in the background of the other shot.
You read my mind- very ‘Hot Wheels’! Note that the E isn’t a V12, btw. And some of the comments about the Mk X are funny!
Old 20 Mar 2019, 13:26 (Ref:3892141)   #2693
S griffin
Veteran

Well I don’t think it’s quite a hot wheels. Not a bad Jaguar in my view
Old 20 Mar 2019, 13:50 (Ref:3892146)   #2694
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
I think it is the Wolseley, MIke. They had the two tone arrow style, whereas the Riley two tone was split upper and lower along the length of the coach strip if that is the word for the chrome trim. Happy to be corrected on that. Bob will know!
It can't be a Wolseley I does not have a bell on top!
Old 20 Mar 2019, 13:53 (Ref:3892147)   #2695
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...st-France.html

I guess that rather depends on whether the insurance pays out at retail value.

It would be interesting to know what caused the fire.

Also that looks like a container ship rather than a typical bulk car mover so presumably all of the cars were containerised.

I wonder if there were any lithium batteries aboard?
Old 20 Mar 2019, 14:38 (Ref:3892156)   #2696
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Also that looks like a container ship rather than a typical bulk car mover so presumably all of the cars were containerised.

I believe that it was a dual purpose cargo ship that carried both vehicles and containers.

At least one of the photos from that link shows the vehicle ramp at the stern.
Old 20 Mar 2019, 14:50 (Ref:3892161)   #2697
S griffin
Veteran

I think we should wait to hear more on this, but the pictures do tell a story. It wouldn’t surprise me if it was a transport carrier going by the evidence so far
Old 20 Mar 2019, 15:00 (Ref:3892162)   #2698
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyMail
In addition to the 911 GT2 RS, Porsche had a number of other models that were lost at sea.

They include 718 Caymans, Boxters, and Cayennes.

In total, there were 37 Porsches aboard the Grande America.
How does that work?
Old 20 Mar 2019, 15:04 (Ref:3892164)   #2699
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
How does that work?
From the top of my head, isn't 718 a type number?
Old 20 Mar 2019, 15:10 (Ref:3892165)   #2700
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
From the top of my head, isn't 718 a type number?
Indeed. Here downunder, the Cayman and Boxsters are often referred to as the 718 range.

https://www.porsche.com/australia/models/718/
Closed Thread