Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 8 Apr 2019, 16:19 (Ref:3896275)   #3001
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
My French contact says something like: From '59 to '62, all Anglias had a 105 bloc, then the 109 was introduced. I see he didn't answer about the RHD or LHD thing so far. Still investigating!
Sherlock Mohammed
Old 8 Apr 2019, 16:19 (Ref:3896276)   #3002
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
You should try pre cross flow. They are a pain.
Old 8 Apr 2019, 16:22 (Ref:3896277)   #3003
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
You should try pre cross flow. They are a pain.

My point, exactly, Iain.
Old 8 Apr 2019, 16:31 (Ref:3896280)   #3004
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Well, at least one small part of what passes as my brain still works!

Having to remove and re-attach the manifolds and the twin DCOE45s every weekend when racing leaves a vivid memory of how little room there was on that side with the pre-crossflow Kents.
Old 8 Apr 2019, 16:36 (Ref:3896281)   #3005
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I found this doco on another website, and as I enjoy Clive James I watched it. An interesting look at the Las Vegas GP. I love some of Clive James one liners, like getting served a salad the size of a small garden!

Plenty of F1 footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?=1244&v=CQT2etjobJE
Old 8 Apr 2019, 16:45 (Ref:3896282)   #3006
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
J'aime bien l'ambiance générale, avec beaucoup de jolies filles, un peu comme dans le film Grand Prix. Tu t'en souviens?
I see Pironi but who is the car #2 driver?
Old 8 Apr 2019, 18:02 (Ref:3896294)   #3007
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
@ mike faloon: after no less than three phone calls I can't tell you much more about the Anglia… My mate says people at Ford were too greedy to make many changes between RHD and LHD. He reports a 105 engine in a 106 to be plug and play, comme papa dans maman in good French!
It seems the differences are few, wiring loom, throttle linkage, and a "mushroom" under the gaz pedal.
As Mike H suspected, the gap between the exhaust and the steering system is close to zero but it fits. I'm sorry because I guess this won't help, but "ce n'est pas la bonne volonté qui manque!".
Old 8 Apr 2019, 18:05 (Ref:3896295)   #3008
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Hogan's Heroes in the UK.
That's still shown in the UK, I've seen it on a couple of channels, Forces TV being one.
Old 8 Apr 2019, 19:43 (Ref:3896309)   #3009
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Rassemblement Citroën en France

I know there are many Citroën collectors and/or enthusiasts in the UK, there is a "rassemblement" said to be the best of the Century to be held at La Ferté Vidame, France, on the 19/21 of July.
More info here:
https://fr-media.citroen.com/
http://www.datapressepremium.com/rmd...DAME_VF_FR.pdf
http://www.datapressepremium.com/rmd...RTE_VIDAME.jpg
And here: https://citroencc.com
Entry list will be closed on 30th of April.
If you have any inconvenient with the language you can ask either me or E.B I guess. Is that OK for you E.B? Unfortunately, no Simcas…
Old 8 Apr 2019, 20:19 (Ref:3896316)   #3010
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having spent last weekend listening to Ian T on the TSL comms at Donington I'll be listening to him at the track this weekend.More of a modern weekend but does include Heritage Formula Ford and some older saloons.Third meet of the year for me so looking forward.

A couple of weeks of for College.Less than 4 weeks till DHF.Cannot wait.

Looking to do a report of GT Cup as I'm know quite knowledgeable on the series.

Had a couple of iffy days mentally which I'm trying to get through.

Been watching vids on Genghis Khan,Leonidas,Ancient Greece,Egypt.Fascinating time zones of what seem like a different age and yet in the context of the history so little time ago.Also on Phil C new Rallycross Renault 5,looks STUNNING.Hope to see at Lydden in a couple of weeks.

Hope all are doing well as the season is now finally underway in what so far has provided some great racing and cars.

Will K
Old 8 Apr 2019, 20:35 (Ref:3896317)   #3011
mike faloon
Rookie

mike faloon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
@ mike faloon: after no less than three phone calls I can't tell you much more about the Anglia… My mate says people at Ford were too greedy to make many changes between RHD and LHD. He reports a 105 engine in a 106 to be plug and play, comme papa dans maman in good French!
It seems the differences are few, wiring loom, throttle linkage, and a "mushroom" under the gaz pedal.
As Mike H suspected, the gap between the exhaust and the steering system is close to zero but it fits. I'm sorry because I guess this won't help, but "ce n'est pas la bonne volonté qui manque!".
Merci Gerard, I have seen a chassis plate from an Anglia exported to Italy which quotes 106E. have asked for a picture of the block in Japan. The main problem is that if the car has FiA papers stating 106E they probably won't accept a 105E as a sustitute even though they seem to be identical items. We shall see!!
Old 8 Apr 2019, 20:51 (Ref:3896322)   #3012
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike faloon View Post
Merci Gerard, I have seen a chassis plate from an Anglia exported to Italy which quotes 106E. have asked for a picture of the block in Japan. The main problem is that if the car has FiA papers stating 106E they probably won't accept a 105E as a sustitute even though they seem to be identical items. We shall see!!

I strikes me that a 5 and a 6 are very similar in shape. Must be easy to mistake one for another. I do easily if not wearing reading spectacles in certain lighting conditions ...
Old 8 Apr 2019, 20:58 (Ref:3896323)   #3013
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
J'aime bien l'ambiance générale, avec beaucoup de jolies filles, un peu comme dans le film Grand Prix. Tu t'en souviens?
I see Pironi but who is the car #2 driver?
Yes I have seen the movie Grand Prix many times..... the first time when my Mum and Dad took me when it was a new release.

Re the #2 driver in the Vegas doco, Im a bit confused. Car #2 was the Williams driven by Carlos Reutemann, but if you mean Pironi's teamate, that was Gilles Villeneuve.
Old 9 Apr 2019, 05:43 (Ref:3896362)   #3014
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Alors, dans le joyeux désordre:
@E.B, yes you answered my question which was not really clear;
@ Grant: I dont recommend you visit certain bars at Bang-kok without your glasses or prepare yourself to a new experience… or not!

@Mike F, got the picture and because the car is located in Japan may be your friend could have his bloc stamped or engraved with letters we call "nuddle font" like this: ヨーロッパで違法
Sayonara for today. Angliasan.
Old 9 Apr 2019, 05:46 (Ref:3896363)   #3015
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
New export market…

Anyone to export half a potato to Japan? Have one full, need a shareholder! Post Brex' conditions…
Old 9 Apr 2019, 08:35 (Ref:3896381)   #3016
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike faloon View Post
I've not heard of a 106E block number, 105E & 109E are the normal numbers for a Junior block = F3.
But they did make 106E & 107E models some of which were made in non-UK Ford plants so it's not surprising.

For the 106E block to have been accepted in period it would have had to come from a production car (e.g. FIA recognised touring car) so there must have been something like a 1,000 examples made - or they accepted it was identical to a 105E at the time.

Assuming the 106E lettering wasn't damaged he might be able to transpose that section onto a 105E block assuming the rest is the same.
Doesn't sound easy but I have heard talk of such things being done.

An easier option would be to take a moulding and reproduce it in something like filler which would be indistinguishable under the paint.
Old 9 Apr 2019, 08:52 (Ref:3896384)   #3017
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMorley View Post
An easier option would be to take a moulding and reproduce it in something like filler which would be indistinguishable under the paint.
I remember this being discussed here, hence the half potato joke. Not me, I swear!!!
Old 9 Apr 2019, 09:00 (Ref:3896386)   #3018
mike faloon
Rookie

mike faloon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMorley View Post
I've not heard of a 106E block number, 105E & 109E are the normal numbers for a Junior block = F3.
But they did make 106E & 107E models some of which were made in non-UK Ford plants so it's not surprising.

For the 106E block to have been accepted in period it would have had to come from a production car (e.g. FIA recognised touring car) so there must have been something like a 1,000 examples made - or they accepted it was identical to a 105E at the time.

Assuming the 106E lettering wasn't damaged he might be able to transpose that section onto a 105E block assuming the rest is the same.
Doesn't sound easy but I have heard talk of such things being done.

After all that a photo has proved to be a 109E block, the papers are wrong!! Many thanks for all your efforts, as an exercise in collective thought it has probably done us all some good.
Old 9 Apr 2019, 09:18 (Ref:3896388)   #3019
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
I remember this being discussed here, hence the half potato joke. Not me, I swear!!!
Now I get the half potato joke....
Old 9 Apr 2019, 09:29 (Ref:3896389)   #3020
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
You laugh E.B, you laugh! We can't even finish that in PM, your box is full!
Old 9 Apr 2019, 11:19 (Ref:3896403)   #3021
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't know if anyone here watched last night's episode of C4's 24 Hours in Police Custody, but it highlighted the sheer arrogance of a certain section of society. They seem to believe that everybody else is an idiot other than themselves.

It featured a youngish Irish surgeon who one practices his trade in the UK, and who lives in Bedfordshire. He phoned the police to report a break-in at the house he was renting whilst his own house nearby was being renovated.

When the police responded, they were immediately on alert because of the odd way that the "thieves" had gained entry to the property, and the detective in charge became very wary about the possible theft of some very valuable antiquities. The peculiar thing was that the "intruders" ignored all the works of art, etc on display, but then went down into a cellar through a trap door to steal antiquities stored down there. The surgeon initially claimed that the stolen items were valued at a quarter of a million, and he made a claim against his insurance for that amount.

It must be noted that burglars who go after antiquities from private dwellings do not as a norm go into cellars or lofts, for the simple reason that there is usually only one way to enter and exit, and they could be easily trapped in those places if discovered.

Then the idiot surgeon compounded his errors by trying to sell some of the items locally to dealers, and even worse, sent a photograph taken on his mobile to the police of one of the supposedly stolen items, a fireplace surround. When the police analysed the photo, they found that the picture had been taken after the alleged break-in, and the picture was taken in the surgeon's other home in Eire.

The police then raided both properties and found the "stolen" items. In interviews following his arrest for fraud, he just blustered and attempted to bully his way out of the situation, claiming at one point that he actually had near identical objects to the ones "stolen" and those were the ones found by the police.

He was found guilty eventually, and sentenced to 8 years. Reminds me very much of Lord "Charlie" Brockett who tried to do the same sort of thing with some customers cars that he was supposed to be renovating for them. They were found by the police buried in the grounds of Brockett Hall.
Old 9 Apr 2019, 11:33 (Ref:3896407)   #3022
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
You laugh E.B, you laugh! We can't even finish that in PM, your box is full!
Check your emails
Old 9 Apr 2019, 13:33 (Ref:3896423)   #3023
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I don't know if anyone here watched last night's episode of C4's 24 Hours in Police Custody, but it highlighted the sheer arrogance of a certain section of society. They seem to believe that everybody else is an idiot other than themselves.

It featured a youngish Irish surgeon who one practices his trade in the UK, and who lives in Bedfordshire. He phoned the police to report a break-in at the house he was renting whilst his own house nearby was being renovated.

When the police responded, they were immediately on alert because of the odd way that the "thieves" had gained entry to the property, and the detective in charge became very wary about the possible theft of some very valuable antiquities. The peculiar thing was that the "intruders" ignored all the works of art, etc on display, but then went down into a cellar through a trap door to steal antiquities stored down there. The surgeon initially claimed that the stolen items were valued at a quarter of a million, and he made a claim against his insurance for that amount.

It must be noted that burglars who go after antiquities from private dwellings do not as a norm go into cellars or lofts, for the simple reason that there is usually only one way to enter and exit, and they could be easily trapped in those places if discovered.

Then the idiot surgeon compounded his errors by trying to sell some of the items locally to dealers, and even worse, sent a photograph taken on his mobile to the police of one of the supposedly stolen items, a fireplace surround. When the police analysed the photo, they found that the picture had been taken after the alleged break-in, and the picture was taken in the surgeon's other home in Eire.

The police then raided both properties and found the "stolen" items. In interviews following his arrest for fraud, he just blustered and attempted to bully his way out of the situation, claiming at one point that he actually had near identical objects to the ones "stolen" and those were the ones found by the police.

He was found guilty eventually, and sentenced to 8 years. Reminds me very much of Lord "Charlie" Brockett who tried to do the same sort of thing with some customers cars that he was supposed to be renovating for them. They were found by the police buried in the grounds of Brockett Hall.
In his pond I thought.
I was telling some Radical drivers that the Brabham BT2 we were running at Donington last Thursday that it was the ex Roy James car. . never heard off him they said. Kids aye.
Old 9 Apr 2019, 13:44 (Ref:3896424)   #3024
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Anyone at Silverstone tomorrow?
Old 9 Apr 2019, 13:47 (Ref:3896426)   #3025
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
He seems to have reinvented himself...............

https://twitter.com/lord_brocket?lang=en