Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 Mar 2004, 09:04 (Ref:923710)   #1
williamsf1
Veteran

williamsf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sam Michael at Scott Dixon's FW-26 Test .....

Some questions to throw out there!....

We all know this Australian engineer as the top man in the williams race team (as compaired to the test team), is it signifigant that he is also at what would seem a fairly low level test in France????

Did he just want to take a look at the boy from NZ (Aussie really....)??

Was his time set in low fuel / new rubber trim? versus Ralf on old tyres medium fuel???

I think Scott is good, but would want to quit IRL now, and test fulltime for Williams should he want a race drive in 2005 with the Grove team.....

regardless he has surely lowered Ralf's stocks!

Monty would be grinning
Old 30 Mar 2004, 11:18 (Ref:923828)   #2
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dunno whether Monty would be caring. McLaren looks a bit slow at the moment.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 30 Mar 2004, 11:37 (Ref:923860)   #3
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
better for Monty if McLaren are slow this year rather than next

Last edited by PaulSands; 30 Mar 2004 at 11:38.
Old 30 Mar 2004, 11:43 (Ref:923864)   #4
williamsf1
Veteran

I just think monty might be having a chuckle about Ralf's pay packet being very much on the slide! and he has already done the big dollar deal with Ronski :P
Old 30 Mar 2004, 11:45 (Ref:923866)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Scott Dixon. I think it is normal for Williams to have a high ranking person their at a drivers first test - to help and guide them as well as assess the progress.
Old 30 Mar 2004, 12:45 (Ref:923915)   #6
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Scott did very well, and I hope Williams are as impressed with the times as we are. But as has been said 1,000 times before, testing is just testing. We have no idea what fuel/tyre runs the drivers were on, so the times are'nt that important.

However, the fact he was as quick as he was, surely is a very good sign. What it will lead to is another thing.
Old 30 Mar 2004, 12:55 (Ref:923922)   #7
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah, he did well and as you said testing is just testing. How many more will be lining for a test and hoping for a seat next year, that's the big question.
Old 31 Mar 2004, 08:24 (Ref:924909)   #8
wblh
Rookie

wblh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Bononi
Yeah, he did well and as you said testing is just testing. How many more will be lining for a test and hoping for a seat next year, that's the big question.
I would imagine quite a few will be lining up but can`t agree that testing is just testing. Would like someone to give an example of another first test in an F1 car that compares with what Dixon managed to achieve, irrespective of what fuel load or tyres
Old 31 Mar 2004, 11:45 (Ref:925097)   #9
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Testing is just testing, but the important people know what the settings on the car are (tyres, fuel etc.).

From Scott's point of view, first impressions are always important. Webber had an impressive first test with Benetton, and they signed him up as a tester straight away. The rest is history.

Last edited by mac; 31 Mar 2004 at 11:47.
Old 31 Mar 2004, 11:53 (Ref:925107)   #10
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by wblh
I would imagine quite a few will be lining up but can`t agree that testing is just testing. Would like someone to give an example of another first test in an F1 car that compares with what Dixon managed to achieve, irrespective of what fuel load or tyres

On the plus side - Michael Schumacher, Mika Hakkinen.

On the minus side - Jos Verstappen.
Old 31 Mar 2004, 12:22 (Ref:925137)   #11
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Jos was very impressive in his pre-F1 years, and did okay in his first year in F1 and went superbly at Simtek, then his career just wandered off somewhere in the graveltraps at various low key teams...

Anyway on topic now, does anyone know where i can take a look at the timesheets of Dixon's test sessions?
Old 31 Mar 2004, 13:25 (Ref:925222)   #12
williamsf1
Veteran

I have been trying to do some digging! but all I am hearing is the last 2 or 3 runs were on low fuel new rubber... but so were Ralf's....so equal status I beleive, and 4th fastest well deserved! roll on Spain...
Old 31 Mar 2004, 14:23 (Ref:925281)   #13
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:"Some questions to throw out there!...."

I'd be surprised if Williams didn't send somebody "important" to the test. Quite obviously, they invited Scott a test to evaluate whether he has the potential in F1. Hence, it's quite natural they want somebody whose judgement Head/Frank trust and experienced with handling young drivers as well as the technical part of the test to do what i call "initial evaluation".

Why bother let Scott test if nobody is there to provide an accurate assessment? If Scott impresses on all front (which i think he did pretty well), Sam would report to Head/Frank whom will turn up at one of the final few test for Scott to confirm whether if Scott's the man.

And quite frankly, i do think Scott will get the seat if Mark/Button isn't available and Ralf moves on.