Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 29 Mar 2004, 06:32 (Ref:922530)   #1
Billy Shears
Rookie

Billy Shears should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fastest Pit Stop Ever

Does anyone know the stats for the fastest pit stop ever in F-1? I think it was a Benetton tire change in 1993 in sth unde 5 seconds, but couldn't find this kind of info anywhere on the net. That's counting only the actual team service, not the lane rolling.
Old 29 Mar 2004, 07:15 (Ref:922547)   #2
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not a very scientifical stats indeed; it's a manual timekeeping operations, and the moment the time starts and stops it's never exactly the same for every pit stop.
Old 29 Mar 2004, 07:55 (Ref:922571)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
IIRC there was an attempt on Guiness Book of records program (BBC, *dedivation is all you need*...). This wasn't in a race and I can't even remember which team it was (McLaren?).
Old 29 Mar 2004, 08:07 (Ref:922577)   #4
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i guess if its just tyres it could be done in about 4 sec or something from stop, tyres on, tyres off, go.
Old 29 Mar 2004, 08:14 (Ref:922581)   #5
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will have to dig out my tape of France 1991 again ????...as im sure Murray wet himself when McLaren gave Senna a pitstop in 4.6 seconds ....

I think it was that race , but it was damm impressive indeed....i also rememeber James Hunt saying that he was amazed that Senna was even ready to go after such a quick stop .
Old 29 Mar 2004, 11:08 (Ref:922687)   #6
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I seem to remember the same stop- it was about 4 seconds or so. I'm not at all surprised Senna was ready for it and his impending departure from said stop.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 29 Mar 2004, 11:28 (Ref:922703)   #7
spearce
Racer

spearce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sennas 'phantom' pit stop at Donington in '93 gets my vote,
since he got the lap record with it (shorter route + no pit lane speed limit).
Old 29 Mar 2004, 11:38 (Ref:922720)   #8
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Re: Fastest Pit Stop Ever

Quote:
Originally posted by Billy Shears
I think it was a Benetton tire change in 1993 in sth unde 5 seconds, but couldn't find this kind of info anywhere on the net.
Correct, it was at Spa 1993, and the stop was roughly 4.3 seconds, for Riccardo Patrese, unfortunatly for him, he spun it as he exited the pit lane
Old 29 Mar 2004, 13:33 (Ref:922863)   #9
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I did hear somewhere that maclaren hold the record with 4.1 seconds (in a race)
But yeah,it is tricky to time such a thing
Old 29 Mar 2004, 15:36 (Ref:922962)   #10
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It wasn't unusual for most stops to be well under five seconds in the days before re-fuelling was re-introduced.

Williams seemed to struggle to get under 10 seconds rather a lot for some reason, they constantly botched pit-stops.
Old 29 Mar 2004, 16:31 (Ref:923026)   #11
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No matter how fast it was I'm sure that it felt like forever for the driver sitting still after going so fast
Old 29 Mar 2004, 18:48 (Ref:923187)   #12
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pitstops really where an event back then weren't they. Dangerous as hell but they sure were exciting.
Old 29 Mar 2004, 21:24 (Ref:923358)   #13
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any ponderances on how teams could further reduce the speed of tirechanging, could be advantageous with the qualifying/fuel stragey regulations now in place. ability to maybe one stop fuel and two stop tires...or just fill with as much fuel as you can the first time before the tires are changed and then fill it full later?
Old 29 Mar 2004, 21:32 (Ref:923371)   #14
yobro
Racer

United Kingdom
Cowbog, Scotland
yobro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Smokey 6 litre
i guess if its just tyres it could be done in about 4 sec or something from stop, tyres on, tyres off, go.

Dont the tyres come off 1st? be hard to go if the last move was to take them off...
Old 29 Mar 2004, 23:26 (Ref:923434)   #15
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ban refuelling!! I want to see those lightening pit stops again!!!
Old 30 Mar 2004, 11:22 (Ref:923834)   #16
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ban pitstops! I want to see drivers battling to the end on shagged rubber and on light fuel.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 30 Mar 2004, 11:26 (Ref:923844)   #17
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Could be fun in Bahrain with sand everywhere!
Old 30 Mar 2004, 11:30 (Ref:923851)   #18
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
How about, every pitstop having to include a stop and go
Old 30 Mar 2004, 11:31 (Ref:923853)   #19
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by knowlesy

Williams seemed to struggle to get under 10 seconds rather a lot for some reason, they constantly botched pit-stops.
Williams used to be at least as quick as the other teams. It all changed when Mansell's wheel fell off after a pitstop (i think he was leading at the time). It turned out that the wheel nut was incorrectly fitted during the stop.
After that they seemed paranoid every time they had a stop.
Old 31 Mar 2004, 02:28 (Ref:924701)   #20
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes i was thinking the same thing-was knowlesy thinking of the mid eighties?
When they lost one wheel too many they just fitted all wheels with lock pins and were very slow at pitstops (for several years?) because of that
Old 31 Mar 2004, 02:37 (Ref:924708)   #21
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Well, correct me if I am wrong, Michael Schum has given the fastest pitstop in refeulling mode. Michael is probably the fastest 'pitsop' driver ever and has consistently given great pitstops with Ferrari and Bennetton. He is very accurate in the pits, brakes and accelerates at perfect timing and rarely makes mistakes.
Old 31 Mar 2004, 02:47 (Ref:924715)   #22
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd personally keep pitstops because the old style ones were exciting. But refuelling is handy too. So make the stops slower, but limited by the mechanics, not the safety flowrate of the pumps...

Well boys, time to ban pneumatic lines in the pit area. Wheelbraces at high noon, pitstop showdown!

I mean, after all, I've seen them trip up on those things and nearly hurt themselves Safety first!

Unfortunately, the whole fuel rate regulator idea was to slow down the pitstops so mechanics wouldn't hurt themselves getting out of the way. So we'll never see it's like again in F1.
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.
Old 1 Apr 2004, 02:05 (Ref:925863)   #23
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
IIRC 2002 Germany Felipe Massa had a stop that lasted 4.8 seconds. Sato san could probably confirm this!!!