Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 May 2020, 19:29 (Ref:3977396)   #26
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
So which ones are most at risk then?
Old 20 May 2020, 19:32 (Ref:3977398)   #27
uesugi kenshin
Rookie

uesugi kenshin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't for the life of me see why Renault are involved in F1, spend huge sums of money and achieve nothing of note. Will be interesting to see what they do when they have the financial data from the second quarter of this year. They might just follow Haas, Alfa Romeo and Honda out of the door.
Old 20 May 2020, 19:33 (Ref:3977399)   #28
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
That’s the thing, it could be any team, even someone like Red Bull. And we know Williams, while they will use whatever means to survive, have an uncertain future. Hope they can make it through
Old 20 May 2020, 21:46 (Ref:3977423)   #29
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by uesugi kenshin View Post
I can't for the life of me see why Renault are involved in F1, spend huge sums of money and achieve nothing of note.
Being as Cyril is married in, they’d have to find him a job in Renault itself if they folded the team. Probably much cheaper to keep the F1 team going.
Old 20 May 2020, 21:54 (Ref:3977427)   #30
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by uesugi kenshin View Post
I can't for the life of me see why Renault are involved in F1, spend huge sums of money and achieve nothing of note. Will be interesting to see what they do when they have the financial data from the second quarter of this year. They might just follow Haas, Alfa Romeo and Honda out of the door.
They bring loads of people, like every other team, to the Paddock Club and corporate hospitality. Us mere mortals will never really have a full grasp of the billions of pounds of deals that have been done there.

Bernie was truly terribly clever.
Old 21 May 2020, 06:18 (Ref:3977457)   #31
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Renault are a long standing racing organisation similar in that respect to Porsche, but their current situation married to the economic impact of COVID19 may lead to a withdrawal on business grounds.
Old 21 May 2020, 08:20 (Ref:3977467)   #32
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Renault are a long standing racing organisation similar in that respect to Porsche, but their current situation married to the economic impact of COVID19 may lead to a withdrawal on business grounds.
Do you think they'll bail out completely or keep the engine side going? Given that they don't have any customer teams beyond the end of this year could mean they go for a clean break.

The same of course is true for Mercedes and Honda - with the financial impact of covid19 can they justify the outlay? Mercedes could drop their team but keep the engine supply side going - but is that viable without a works team (how much of the engine cost is carried by the works team compared to the customer teams?). I think if Honda bailed then their F1 project would have to be seen as a huge failure.

It's feasible we end up in a situation where the only engine available is the Ferrari unit.....

(wandered badly off topic now )
Old 21 May 2020, 15:14 (Ref:3977549)   #33
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
with the 2020 cars to be used in 2021 plus the 2021 budget cap i think Renault stay. no doubt money will be tight but the sport may look to be a lot more cost effective in 2021 which, if things go back to more normal, races with fans, more prize money, may make it all the more attractive at least as an advertising platform.

Alonso has expressed his desires to return once the cars change/new regulations come into play, but as that has been delayed to 2022 at the earliest...not cars he likes and limited available seats i would bet no Alonso in 2021.

i will admit to not being a huge fan but he is entertaining and talented so i would like to see what he could do at age 40 in an F1 car. and if the new regs actually brings the racing closer then for sure he is (or was) the type of driver i would love to see in that mix.
Old 21 May 2020, 16:54 (Ref:3977566)   #34
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A 'past it' driver with a 'past it' team, could be interesting.

I say give the youngsters their chance and enter your senility with Indy Car.
Old 21 May 2020, 18:57 (Ref:3977596)   #35
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
It will be tough times, but most should survive. I am sure there will be enough teams on the grid next season, although there is a chance a team won’t make it
Please define "tough", "most", "should", "sure, "enough" and "chance" to help me better understand your prediction.
Old 21 May 2020, 22:52 (Ref:3977626)   #36
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
A 'past it' driver with a 'past it' team, could be interesting.

I say give the youngsters their chance and enter your senility with Indy Car.
Opinions on Alonso may differ on a lot of things, but he is not "past it".
Old 21 May 2020, 23:10 (Ref:3977628)   #37
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think Alonso has been a bit unpredictable at times, but I expect him to have settled down now and be able to use his experience wisely if he comes back
Old 24 May 2020, 11:43 (Ref:3978048)   #38
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I think Alonso has been a bit unpredictable at times, but I expect him to have settled down now and be able to use his experience wisely if he comes back
Miracles do happen....so we are told.
Old 24 May 2020, 11:47 (Ref:3978051)   #39
S griffin
Veteran

I actually do think he will be a lot more fresher now he’s done a bit of sportscar racing, alongside a bit of Indy and rally raid. So it would make sense for Renault to have him on a pre contract agreement if the rumours are true. A refreshed Alonso with bags of experience would really help a team like Renault at this time
Old 24 May 2020, 13:49 (Ref:3978072)   #40
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
Opinions on Alonso may differ on a lot of things, but he is not "past it".
Actually we dont know if he is or isn't from an F1 perspective. He is most likely not, but it is an unknown (or in other words, a "risk"). Given the potential for significant salary demands and/or other potential baggage (more risk) he brings, weighing the scale may cause some teams some level of heartburn in making a go, no go decision.

Frankly I hope he returns.

Richard
Old 24 May 2020, 14:12 (Ref:3978073)   #41
S griffin
Veteran

I think Renault will evaluate their options, see who’s available. Of course there is a risk with Alonso as you say, but judging by his performances in WEC his racing brain is intact. They won’t take this decision lightly, they will no doubt see who else could be a good fit at the team, preferably one who’s still on the grid. And of course they know they Alonso to fall back on should there be no other preferable option
Old 24 May 2020, 16:28 (Ref:3978088)   #42
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Actually we dont know if he is or isn't from an F1 perspective. He is most likely not, but it is an unknown (or in other words, a "risk"). Given the potential for significant salary demands and/or other potential baggage (more risk) he brings, weighing the scale may cause some teams some level of heartburn in making a go, no go decision.

Frankly I hope he returns.

Richard
Me too. Yes, there's a risk. But I'd take it.
Old 25 May 2020, 08:12 (Ref:3978182)   #43
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I actually do think he will be a lot more fresher now he’s done a bit of sportscar racing, alongside a bit of Indy and rally raid. So it would make sense for Renault to have him on a pre contract agreement if the rumours are true. A refreshed Alonso with bags of experience would really help a team like Renault at this time
Renault have an excellent track record of ignoring advice so I can see Alonso getting a little bit annoyed, I think that would be awesome if it happens. The whole thing has gone quite so we wait for what the parent company is going to do to save the situation before speculation on a driver can be resumed.
Old 25 May 2020, 15:47 (Ref:3978233)   #44
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
There may not be any Renault to return to, the French finance minister has admitted Renault may "disappear" as a result of the corona crisis.

It was reported last week that the government, which owns a 15 percent stake in the French carmaker, will step in with a EUR 5 billion loan to rescue the embattled marque.

But minister Bruno Le Maire has told Europe 1 radio that the loan will not be granted until "we know what Renault's strategy is".

He admitted that Renault is in "serious financial difficulty", confirming: "Yes, Renault may disappear."

Renault has organised a press conference for Wednesday 27 May, and there are fears and rumours that a severe restructuring plan could involve the axing of the F1 program.

https://www.grandprix.com/news/minis...disappear.html
Old 25 May 2020, 16:35 (Ref:3978235)   #45
S griffin
Veteran

I seriously hope that is not the case, but it is looking bleak for the team. Obviously the car company has some financial difficulties at this time. But even if it does impact on the F1 team, I hope they can find a way to stay, even if the involvement from the car company is less. Cyril has said that cost saving will keep the team in F1. That is of course what all of us have been saying the FIA need to seriously consider, how to keep costs down, so teams aren't run out of business
Old 25 May 2020, 17:09 (Ref:3978244)   #46
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Plus the fact that they have no customer engine business now and they will be hampered by being the only Renault power units running, so they will be getting less even data than Mercedes now.

OT, but interesting to see that Bottas management are looking round to see what is available as they are not sure on if he will be retained or Mercedes future in F1....
Old 25 May 2020, 17:23 (Ref:3978247)   #47
uesugi kenshin
Rookie

uesugi kenshin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I seriously hope that is not the case, but it is looking bleak for the team. Obviously the car company has some financial difficulties at this time. But even if it does impact on the F1 team, I hope they can find a way to stay, even if the involvement from the car company is less. Cyril has said that cost saving will keep the team in F1. That is of course what all of us have been saying the FIA need to seriously consider, how to keep costs down, so teams aren't run out of business
If Renault are basically bankrupt and need the French government to keep them afloat I don't think any scale of F1 cost cutting will sway their thinking and the fact that the team is based in Britain may well make cutting it even easier.
Old 25 May 2020, 17:23 (Ref:3978248)   #48
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Bottas is on a one year contract so i would imagine they are always looking at their options?

the marque of Renault may not be around but i would think there will be a buyer for the team...the soon to be implemented cost cap and car/rules freeze for 2021 and possibly 2022 means someone somewhere will see value in running a car that has already been built for relatively very little money.

that said, i wonder if the biggest problem F1 is facing is not the inability to race or race in front of fans, but if it is the fact that the paddock club is closed and with it the B2B deals that get signed there?

thats ostensibly why Genii bought Renault the last time around?
Old 25 May 2020, 17:52 (Ref:3978256)   #49
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Renault the marque will probably end up as part of another manufacturer, there has been a lot of consolidation talk in the industry as a whole.

VW still has more dieselgate trouble to come and pay for, so I don't see VAG as likely, probably more likely is a Hyundai Kia merger now that relations have soured somewhat with Nissan.

Aston Martin is worth keeping an eye on the shares are now 35 pence having floated at £19. Toto is in there already as a personal investor and the new CEO will be from Mercedes-AMG. Daimler have a 5% stake at the moment and supply powertrains.

Stroll allegedly plans to make Aston more of a British Ferrari with a range of mid-engined sports cars - this is a massively lucrative segment to exploit and you are looking at higher screen price and then massive options packages - this sort of buyer likes to throw money at their car. Stroll has massive experience with luxury brands and he know that as much as Aston Martin is a car manufacturer it is also a brand with huge back catalogue of history. Look at Ferrari, it is recognised as one of the worlds' biggest brands.
Old 25 May 2020, 18:21 (Ref:3978262)   #50
S griffin
Veteran

I could certainly see the F1 team having less association with the parent company Renault. I do think though Cyril will find a way to keep the team afloat, even if it means a few cutbacks

I somehow doubt Renault would end up with Aston Martin! Aston are going their own way and Stroll snr is making more of it his own all the time. Whatever happens with Aston, they are in strong hands financially at the moment, which didn’t seem likely before this year