Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 13 Oct 2003, 09:39 (Ref:749234)   #1
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Kenny Brack's condition update

By now most would have seen Kenny Brack's scary crash at texas Motor Speedway.

it was simply a horrifying shunt and im happy that he is in a fairly good condition.

first report that ive been able to find is that he has fractures to his right femur,both ankles,sternum and Lumbar fractures.

all very serious injuries I believe (not that im a doctor)

these injuries will of course take quite a while to recover from so my best wishes go out to kenny and his family in this time.

if anyone gets hold of anymore information could they post it here so we know whats happening and what kind of condition he is in.
Old 13 Oct 2003, 09:56 (Ref:749256)   #2
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
forgot to push record on the video - have to wait for the replay on wednesday morning.... best of luck to kenny and his family....
Old 13 Oct 2003, 11:41 (Ref:749370)   #3
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
just saw the crash on channel 7 news - crazy, that car just disintegrated.... kenny is a very lucky man.
Old 13 Oct 2003, 11:41 (Ref:749371)   #4
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
crash.net is reporting that we should be getting another report this afternoon.
Old 13 Oct 2003, 12:08 (Ref:749414)   #5
oily oaf
Racer

oily oaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I watched a tape of the race this morning without knowing the result or what took place so when I saw the wreck involving Kenny and Sheckter my blood ran cold. My first reaction when I saw the monocoque cartwheeling down the track was to fear the very worst. Needless to say the rest of the race became totally irrelevant, even Larry Rice and his co-commentator seemed to be so shaken that their interest in the remaining laps completely dissappeared and noone could blame them.
Thank God Kenny made it out of there albeit it with some extremely serious injuries. Get well soon mate.
Old 13 Oct 2003, 13:44 (Ref:749600)   #6
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That was frightening Injuris could have been so much worse, we're lucky he's still with us, get well Kenny!

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 13 Oct 2003, 14:24 (Ref:749670)   #7
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Back, Legs & Pelvis.....very serious injuries from a very serious crash...

I watched it live on TV and immediately said a prayer for him....I've been watching Champ Cars since 1967, and it is among the five worst crashes I hve seen....

Concerning the incident....

It looked like Brack's left front either touched or inter-locked with Scheckter's right rear tire to begin the disasterous incident...from the TV perspective, Scheckter was driving in a straight line down the backstretch, and brack drifted down toward him....the only thing I could not tell for sure was whether or not the car that was behind Brack and to his right had touched brack's right rear to send him toward Scheckter's car....and I've seen about 6 or 7 replays from at least two different angles....

If any of you see additional replays, please look for this possibility and share your thoughts with us....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 13 Oct 2003, 15:01 (Ref:749710)   #8
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now that's a nasty accident. Best wishes to Kenny, his team, and family.
Kenny Brack . com - Statement
Old 13 Oct 2003, 19:30 (Ref:750110)   #9
rush1
Veteran

rush1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
latest update on Kenny
http://www.indystar.com/print/articl...-2504-102.html
Old 13 Oct 2003, 20:00 (Ref:750145)   #10
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just read on Swedish teletext that the doctors expect him to make a full recovery. Thank goodness. I haven't seen the crash, but it sounds like an extremely violent one. Get well soon, Kenny.
Old 13 Oct 2003, 20:42 (Ref:750190)   #11
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That sounds like good news. I was watching it as it happened (first IRL race I've watched) and I feared the worst. It was with some relief I heard the commentators report a 'code 3' and that he was awake in the car.

Best wishes, Kenny
Old 13 Oct 2003, 20:57 (Ref:750198)   #12
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Good to hear that his surgery went well.

Woolley, I hope this scary crash doesnt put you off and you join us for the 2004 season It's gonna be great!
Old 13 Oct 2003, 21:07 (Ref:750211)   #13
ElScOrChO
Racer

ElScOrChO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds like good news!

It looks like Brack got some turbulence when following Scheckter and that drove him directly on scheckter's rear right wheel.

Get well soon Kenny
Old 13 Oct 2003, 21:49 (Ref:750249)   #14
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
When I saw that live last night I instantly assumed whoever just flew into the fence had no chance - it reminded me so much of Jeff Krosnoff's tragic accident in '96, with the complete disintegration of the car. So even though Kenny's injuries are serious I think it's a miracle he's stable and expected to recovery fully. Thank God the main impact with the fence post seemed to be taken by the rear half of the car.

Get well soon Kenny, hope you're back soon!
Old 14 Oct 2003, 02:48 (Ref:750406)   #15
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The way he is tossed is absolutely astounding. The force involved in that accident is incredible because the energy is not normally directed the way that one happened. Normally there is a lot of energy when a driver hits the wall on a oval, but because most of it is directed forward they do okay. I'm quiet surprised he has survived and isn't in a state like Zanardi was.
Old 14 Oct 2003, 06:52 (Ref:750501)   #16
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
excellent news on kenny's surgery.

sounds like things might just come out Ok for him but its going to be a long hard road to recovery.

It was one of those shunts that just made my heart and stomach slump, I instantlly felt there was no chance of survival.

thank god for the strentgh of these cars and thank god someone was watching out for kenny.
Old 14 Oct 2003, 06:56 (Ref:750504)   #17
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
http://vinne.freeservers.com/2003_I...Kenny_Brack.mpg

allthough i hate to post this , I guess some people would like to see the crash if they havent already.

here is the link to Kenyy's crash.
Old 14 Oct 2003, 07:11 (Ref:750522)   #18
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
doesnt work
Old 14 Oct 2003, 07:13 (Ref:750523)   #19
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
oh , sorry that was the link that i was given.
Old 14 Oct 2003, 07:14 (Ref:750527)   #20
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
try the first link in this thread , it seemed to start downloading for me.

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...threadid=45153
Old 14 Oct 2003, 13:40 (Ref:750881)   #21
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
More good news about Brack

Found this article, things are looking good for Kenny. The injuries to his legs are apparantly going to take about three months to heal, much less than I expected. Dosen;y say how long it will take his back to heal though. Still, a full recovery is expected

Full story.
Old 14 Oct 2003, 14:38 (Ref:750928)   #22
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yes i heard that he is doing quite well, and surgery to fix his back and sternum may required transfer to Indianapolis Med center.
Old 14 Oct 2003, 19:06 (Ref:751257)   #23
Az
Racer

England
UK
Az should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by marcus
http://vinne.freeservers.com/2003_I...Kenny_Brack.mpg

allthough i hate to post this , I guess some people would like to see the crash if they havent already.

here is the link to Kenyy's crash.
*Rolls eyes*

More hotlinking despite vinne saying in the thread he posted the video not to leech.

Anywa a massive accident and i'm so glad for all his family as well as the sport that he is alive and making good progress
Old 14 Oct 2003, 20:12 (Ref:751350)   #24
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For those that can't make the links work, the video is posted on the IRL website. Look for Lap 188 in the upper center for the download. Click Here

The caption is a huge understatment. "Brack makes major contact with catch fence."

Last edited by Flatspot; 14 Oct 2003 at 20:17.
Old 14 Oct 2003, 20:13 (Ref:751352)   #25
Francesca
Veteran

Ajman
Hampshire
Francesca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It just shows how far safety aspects in motorsport have come along. I didn't see the race and I'm glad because it makes me feel sick when things like that happen but they showed 3 photo's in The Metro today and it looked horrific.