Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 26 Aug 2019, 18:04 (Ref:3924247)   #4601
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel 911S View Post
Nothing to do with motorsport , but just got sent a video clip & I am still wiping the tears from my eyes .
A little bit risque , so will probably go down well with Bauble .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An5a6h7vA00
That is absolutely disgusting, in very poor taste, and quite demeaning of woman in general.

Any more clips?
Old 27 Aug 2019, 04:43 (Ref:3924286)   #4602
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
With all the talk nowadays about pilotless planes and driverless cars, surprised crewless ships haven't been included. Appears some work on the concept is going on, though. I'm sure any tenthers with Merchant or Royal Naval experience will have a view……

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/spotl...cid=spartandhp
Old 27 Aug 2019, 04:46 (Ref:3924289)   #4603
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
A concept that goes all the way back to the Titanic.
Old 27 Aug 2019, 06:01 (Ref:3924293)   #4604
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
With all the talk nowadays about pilotless planes and driverless cars, surprised crewless ships haven't been included. Appears some work on the concept is going on, though. I'm sure any tenthers with Merchant or Royal Naval experience will have a view……

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/spotl...cid=spartandhp
https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/unmannedwarrior

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 27 Aug 2019 at 06:08. Reason: Corrected URL
Old 27 Aug 2019, 06:55 (Ref:3924297)   #4605
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Thought I'd get a response, Andy!
Old 27 Aug 2019, 08:04 (Ref:3924299)   #4606
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
That’s courtesy of Grant P. The next one will be with your permission, if you’re happy to give it.....
Mike I thought I had answered this, however, I can not see my post … so.

No problems, just help yourself. I would be honoured.

PS; usual fees apply.
Old 27 Aug 2019, 09:59 (Ref:3924314)   #4607
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Mike I thought I had answered this, however, I can not see my post … so.

No problems, just help yourself. I would be honoured.

PS; usual fees apply.
You are very gracious, Sir! Your post is now on this thread, along with the two subsequent ones, as of little relevance to that Brexit thing......
Old 27 Aug 2019, 10:51 (Ref:3924321)   #4608
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
I thought the ‘No more than 10 year’s old’ tyre legislation for HGVs and others was already in place, but it’s not..... https://www.ukhaulier.co.uk/news/roa...be-an-offence/

Makes more sense than ‘lifed’ carbon fibre seats and seat harnesses!
Old 27 Aug 2019, 10:56 (Ref:3924323)   #4609
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
You are very gracious, Sir! Your post is now on this thread, along with the two subsequent ones, as of little relevance to that Brexit thing......
Now you can get rid of that dreadful picture of Grant's.
Old 27 Aug 2019, 12:24 (Ref:3924336)   #4610
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Thought I'd get a response, Andy!
Indeed, but the RN is lagging behind I think. There was a time when we lead the way - angled flight decks, mirror landing sights, the steam catapult and the ski jump for Harriers were all British inventions to improve aircraft operations from Carriers.
Old 27 Aug 2019, 12:28 (Ref:3924338)   #4611
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Indeed, but the RN is lagging behind I think. There was a time when we lead the way - angled flight decks, mirror landing sights, the steam catapult and the ski jump for Harriers were all British inventions to improve aircraft operations from Carriers.
That’s maybe why I have not heard more about robot ships in recent times- nothing’s been happening recently!
Old 27 Aug 2019, 17:05 (Ref:3924379)   #4612
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Aircraft of all sizes can now, or have the ability to, fly without a human being sitting in the cockpit. One only needs to look at what the RAF and the USAF are doing with drones currently. After all, they are now the size of small private civilian planes.

The only reasons that pilots are required to be present on commercial craft are basically to reassure passengers and to be able to take over when the onboard technology goes awry.
There is one other reason why pilots are required - the typical large RPASs are operated from range via a satellite link.
This leads to two issues:

Firstly - the latency on a satellite link means that the time between the RPAS being exposed to an external influence, the pilot responding and the instruction being received again at the RPAS can be up to 5 seconds. To overcome this for take off and landing, the RPAS is controlled by someone at the ground via a Line-Of-Sight connection.

Secondly - if the connection to a RPAS is lost, the aircraft has a default routine of a climb to safe altitude and competing circuits until the connection is restored. This happens quite frequently, and would possibly be not tolerated by passengers.
Old 27 Aug 2019, 20:01 (Ref:3924414)   #4613
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
There was a Concorde prog (part 1) on C5 tonight. No idea if it’s a new one or a repeat, but I don’t care- watching footage of the plane taking off, in flight, landing or just parked still mesmerises me.....
Old 27 Aug 2019, 20:56 (Ref:3924420)   #4614
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I see one of our new F-35s on tonight's ITV fighter pilot prog needed another 're-boot' to get it started. Only took an hour to sort it out!
Old 27 Aug 2019, 21:03 (Ref:3924425)   #4615
bauble
Veteran

England
I predict that within five years the Tour de France will be run for riderless bikes.

Bound to happen.
Old 27 Aug 2019, 21:13 (Ref:3924427)   #4616
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
There was a Concorde prog (part 1) on C5 tonight. No idea if it’s a new one or a repeat, but I don’t care- watching footage of the plane taking off, in flight, landing or just parked still mesmerises me.....
Pretty sure it's a repeat but as you say always worth a watch. At the grand age of 21 nearing the end of my apprenticeship with the British Aircraft Corporation(now British Aerospace), I was lucky enough to spend 2 weeks in Toulouse with a team undertaking flyover noise measurements with the French preproduction Concorde 02. Groups of us were operating as 2/3 man teams in the surrounding countryside and I drew prime position directly under the flight path after take off. Still brings a smile back
Old 28 Aug 2019, 05:04 (Ref:3924445)   #4617
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
Pretty sure it's a repeat but as you say always worth a watch. At the grand age of 21 nearing the end of my apprenticeship with the British Aircraft Corporation(now British Aerospace), I was lucky enough to spend 2 weeks in Toulouse with a team undertaking flyover noise measurements with the French preproduction Concorde 02. Groups of us were operating as 2/3 man teams in the surrounding countryside and I drew prime position directly under the flight path after take off. Still brings a smile back
That must have been special. The sheer beauty of the thing..... My sisters and I treated our Dad to a ‘round the bay (Biscay)’ pleasure flight from Heathrow in one for a significant birthday. That was very special.

Going back to cars, interesting look at some VWs which never made production, now hidden in one of their museums....

https://www.autocar.co.uk/slideshow/...e-never-sold#2
Old 28 Aug 2019, 05:09 (Ref:3924446)   #4618
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
I predict that within five years the Tour de France will be run for riderless bikes.

Bound to happen.
Now there’s a pointless application of the technology....
Old 28 Aug 2019, 11:08 (Ref:3924479)   #4619
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Anyone we know, or someone masquerading as....? (Autocar reader’s letters today)
Attached Thumbnails
35F595F0-EB3E-4DEC-B8E9-7430D148BBB9.jpeg  
Old 28 Aug 2019, 11:19 (Ref:3924482)   #4620
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Anyone we know, or someone masquerading as....? (Autocar reader’s letters today)

It was sent by email so can't be you know who. Far too complicated.
Old 28 Aug 2019, 11:23 (Ref:3924483)   #4621
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
I see one of our new F-35s on tonight's ITV fighter pilot prog needed another 're-boot' to get it started. Only took an hour to sort it out!
Many, many years ago, i worked on Sea Harriers (scary thought, i know!) and even then the Nav-Attack system was so complex that the student pilots didnt really understand it and so booked faults due to misunderstandings.
As maintainers we swapped black boxes, did a functional test and sent them on their way.
Subsequently i worked in the electronics workshops testing the black boxes removed from the aircraft. More often than not, No fault found.
If we couldnt understand the technology then, imagine the issues now!!!
Old 28 Aug 2019, 11:36 (Ref:3924484)   #4622
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
It was sent by email so can't be you know who. Far too complicated.
Cruel!
Old 28 Aug 2019, 12:56 (Ref:3924494)   #4623
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Interesting how the landscape changes. Few years ago rural areas were quite rightly shouting loudly about slow / poor broadband. (And I’m sure many still are.) But appears now that you can live on an island of 100 houses and have full fibre into your abode. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-49491794

The industrial estate out in the sticks where my workshop is also has full fibre to each unit, and yet in the middle of town, we are stuck with fibre supply to a box at least a mile away, then copper cable to the many hundreds of houses. And relatively, it is slow..... We need a campaign to have fast broadband in an urban environment!
Old 28 Aug 2019, 13:09 (Ref:3924497)   #4624
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Many, many years ago, i worked on Sea Harriers (scary thought, i know!) and even then the Nav-Attack system was so complex that the student pilots didnt really understand it and so booked faults due to misunderstandings.
As maintainers we swapped black boxes, did a functional test and sent them on their way.
Subsequently i worked in the electronics workshops testing the black boxes removed from the aircraft. More often than not, No fault found.
If we couldnt understand the technology then, imagine the issues now!!!
Probably in a similar era or possibly slightly later I was involved with a software development that was developed to support field service engineers and included some interesting facilities to track serviceable items by serial number (or an other "unique" identifier) as i moved around an organisation.

One of the more disturbing discoveries as we spoke to prospective interested parties was that our Airforce experienced contacts described some problems with things like "Black Boxes" which were often changed based on reported faults and so, in those days, could end up scattered around the world with no continuous history of serviceability and repair activities.

So a box would appear locally with some sort of generic error note attached. The workshop would find no error and it would be put back on the shelf. Then fitted to another airframe when the next swap was required.

At the next time of failure, probably somewhere else around the world, the same process might well be repeated.

No traceability whatsoever. A developing or intermittent genuine fault in a black box unit could exist for years and never be corrected.

Or so we were advised.
Old 28 Aug 2019, 13:14 (Ref:3924498)   #4625
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Interesting how the landscape changes. Few years ago rural areas were quite rightly shouting loudly about slow / poor broadband. (And I’m sure many still are.) But appears now that you can live on an island of 100 houses and have full fibre into your abode. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-49491794

The industrial estate out in the sticks where my workshop is also has full fibre to each unit, and yet in the middle of town, we are stuck with fibre supply to a box at least a mile away, then copper cable to the many hundreds of houses. And relatively, it is slow..... We need a campaign to have fast broadband in an urban environment!

Openreach have already spent the cash though ... somewhere between your workshop and Grimsay.
Closed Thread