Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Jul 2005, 23:22 (Ref:1365132)   #1
XJR14/WSC95
Racer

XJR14/WSC95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tyre Suppliers in F1

After the fiasco at the U.S. GP with Michelin Tyres and the FIA finally realizing that it is tyre development which is contributing to the ever improving lap times, is there any chance of there being a single tyre supplier any time soon. There was talk during the U.S. GP that this could be the end of Michelin’s involvement. Understandable there are already contracts in place for next season but is there any way the FIA can force there hand on the basis of safety concerns. There was talk at one stage of a return to slick tyers and only one tyre supplier. Personally I would like to see the return of tyre changes at pit stops with no refueling. This could be done in the best interest of safety, and there will be plenty of room for more fuel next with the V8’s taking up less space and being more economical. We could have some very exciting races with some teams on a hard compound not stopping to change tyres and some on softer tyers pitting once or twice. Any thoughts or inside knowledge?
Old 27 Jul 2005, 23:27 (Ref:1365135)   #2
poleaxe
Rookie

poleaxe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Five of the seven Michelin-contracted Formula One teams have approached rivals Bridgestone about a possible switch in 2006, the Japanese tyre company said on Wednesday.
Yep, it looks like Michelin is on the way out.
Old 27 Jul 2005, 23:33 (Ref:1365140)   #3
XJR14/WSC95
Racer

Do you have a link to go with that Quote?
Old 27 Jul 2005, 23:48 (Ref:1365143)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJR14/WSC95
We could have some very exciting races with some teams on a hard compound not stopping to change tyres and some on softer tyers pitting once or twice. Any thoughts or inside knowledge?
If there was a single tyre manufacurer the chances are that there wouldn't be a range of compounds that would provide this. The compounds would generally be quite conservative as they were back when we had a single manufacturer before. You only have to go soft and have a range if you are trying to beat someone else.

As for the "FIA FIA finally realizing that it is tyre development which is contributing to the ever improving lap times" dig I think that is unfair. They have always known this. Hence over the years the rules which have limited the width and also added grooves.

poleaxe, all I'd heard was that there was likely to be one team swap from Michelin to Bridgestone and that was Red Bull. Why would so many teams want to go to Bridgestone? Michelin is the best tyre at the moment.
Old 27 Jul 2005, 23:50 (Ref:1365146)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The quote is from pitpass: http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpa...s_art_id=25358 I guess the key to it is the word "approached".
Old 28 Jul 2005, 06:21 (Ref:1365266)   #6
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
More than likely just the teams putting the feelers out, in the most part.
Old 28 Jul 2005, 06:26 (Ref:1365269)   #7
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
People should not be surprised that the teams held talks with Bridgestone. It is mere business that these teams, with contracts up for renewal, just hear what other suppliers offer, just to know where they could get a better deal or as a bargaining tool with their current supplier (ie Michelin).

Toyota has hinted that it made little performance sense at this moment to make the switch. At this stage, any teams that make a switch to BS has to gamble that with Ferrari and their own team testing, coupled with BS's abilities, they are capable of providing sufficient data to make a competitive, if not better, tyres.

And most teams are not risk takers in such sense, when they could possibly drop to the back of the grid.
Old 28 Jul 2005, 08:12 (Ref:1365324)   #8
XJR14/WSC95
Racer

If the FIA new the effects of a tyre battle on lap times, shouldn’t they have decided to go with one tyre supplier back when Good Year left F1? I would have thought that it would have been allot cheaper, and allot more effective at slowing the cars then the constant rule changes. If the FIA could maintain constant rules than it would give the smaller teams a chance to catch up closing the performance gap between the front and back of the grid. The only downside to having one tyre supplier as far as I’m concerned is the tyre manufactures are not able to compete against one another, but I don't watch F1 for the tyre battle.
Old 28 Jul 2005, 08:51 (Ref:1365344)   #9
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJR14/WSC95
If the FIA new the effects of a tyre battle on lap times, shouldn’t they have decided to go with one tyre supplier back when Good Year left F1?
Not if you think that competition is part and parcel of F1 as you say. You can know the effect, but not want a single manufacturer. There are other ways to solve it.

Costant rules? Do these allow smaller teams to get close. Yes and No. In terms of lap times, yes to a certain extent. However constant rules also introduces consitency. So the small teams have even less chance of ever being ahead. The rules have been relatively stable even now and the small teams might only be 4s off the pace, but they are always 4s off. Also in periods of stability we have also seen domination by a single team like in 2002.
Old 28 Jul 2005, 13:18 (Ref:1365573)   #10
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Indeed, I would love to see tyre changes without refuelling. However, I'm not so sure about the "michelin out" statement. After all, I find it hard to believe that Mclaren, renault, Williams, BAR and Toyota (among others) will just agree to switch to the "Ferrari" tyre. that is, a tyre that has been developed exclusively for ferrari, at least in the past few years. That would give the immediate advantage back to Ferrari. Let's face it, despite the indy fiasco the main reason why Ferrari has been doing so badly and Mclaren and Renault so well is because the new regulations suit michelin better.
Old 28 Jul 2005, 13:24 (Ref:1365580)   #11
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The inquiries to Bridgestone were a knee-jerk reaction. There is no sense in giving up a tyre which has been superior in 10 of the 12 races so far.
Old 28 Jul 2005, 13:31 (Ref:1365585)   #12
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
If one-lap qualifying is scrapped for 2006, though, the balance in the tyre war could change completely.
Old 28 Jul 2005, 13:37 (Ref:1365595)   #13
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
According to www.pitpass.com (yes i know) we should be getting the "Knockout" (number two) version of qually for next year.Low fuel,but would it not be better with proper qually tyres as well?
Old 28 Jul 2005, 13:38 (Ref:1365597)   #14
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Undoubtedly. When they messed with qualifying, the FIA (quelle surprise) fixed something that wasn't broken. How, ahem, unlike them.