Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 Mar 2011, 05:24 (Ref:2855707)   #26
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Is cigarette advertising forbidden in F1 ?
Any form of cigarette advertising within the european union is forbidden, this includes F1. Cars may be allowed to run with fag advertising, but then the TV companies wouldn't be allowed to show the cars on screen, which i'm sure would lose Bernie money, so basiclly yer, it is forbidden
Old 30 Mar 2011, 11:29 (Ref:2855832)   #27
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
Any form of cigarette advertising within the european union is forbidden, this includes F1. Cars may be allowed to run with fag advertising, but then the TV companies wouldn't be allowed to show the cars on screen, which i'm sure would lose Bernie money, so basiclly yer, it is forbidden
That's where Ferrari is getting away with it...
Old 31 Mar 2011, 08:18 (Ref:2856252)   #28
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Personally I don't think it looks anything like the Marlboro logo. If I was a 10 year old I'm pretty sure I wouldn't put the two things together without being told. If nobody talked about it, it wouldn't have worked.

But... we're all talking about it. Ergo, masterful piece of logo design, and a very clever piece of sponsorship.
Old 3 Apr 2011, 12:14 (Ref:2857900)   #29
HughGJohnson
Racer

Switzerland
like Bill Maher, "I'm Swiss"
HughGJohnson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think it looks a great deal like the Marlboro logo 'in a vacuum.' However, in the context of where it is on the car and what came before it... I definitely believe it's meant to remind you of what was there. I wouldn't doubt that the new Scuderia Ferrari logo was designed for that purpose. Maybe not, but it sure works.

Personally, I don't have anything against smoking (at a distance from me), tabacco ads or free speech. I don't know what the problem was with the barcode. I just wonder if the barcode was giving sweet and innocent school children lung cancer, why is this new logo ok?

edit: I just noticed that you can see part of the Marlboro sponsorship in my avatar. Am I in on the conspiracy, too?

Last edited by HughGJohnson; 3 Apr 2011 at 12:24.
Old 3 Apr 2011, 13:10 (Ref:2857956)   #30
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
You are killing people.
Old 3 Apr 2011, 13:17 (Ref:2857967)   #31
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HughGJohnson View Post

edit: I just noticed that you can see part of the Marlboro sponsorship in my avatar. Am I in on the conspiracy, too?

I guess we'll all have to be very careful about letting those little glimpses of cigarette advertising ads slip through into our posts in future.........Damn! How'd that get in there!
Old 3 Apr 2011, 15:18 (Ref:2858032)   #32
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
To be fair, advertising is quite effective at selling stuff. Like the cheap tarts selling car wax and alloy wheels in lycra at Autosport. They always remind me to buy more Satsumas if we've run out.
Old 3 Apr 2011, 15:22 (Ref:2858035)   #33
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I can see your point Hugh. Ducati in the MotoGP run practically the same logo (change Ferrari branding with Ducati's of course) and they are also sponsored by Marlboro.
Old 3 Apr 2011, 17:13 (Ref:2858109)   #34
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1ackcr0w View Post
To be fair, advertising is quite effective at selling stuff. Like the cheap tarts selling car wax and alloy wheels in lycra at Autosport. They always remind me to buy more Satsumas if we've run out.
I quite like cheap tarts...
Old 3 Apr 2011, 22:47 (Ref:2858272)   #35
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
You are killing people.
Only if they are brain dead
Old 4 Apr 2011, 11:31 (Ref:2858517)   #36
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If you are not killing people, at least you're not saving them...
Old 6 Apr 2011, 13:52 (Ref:2859691)   #37
csirl
Subscriber
Racer

csirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have a problem with tobacco sponsorship being allowed, even if the tobacco company is not allowed to display the logos on cars etc. It means the sport is still supported by the tobacco industry and is still being used as a promotional tool by the tobacco industry. Marlboro dont give money to Ferrari out of charity - they do it because, regardless of the logo rules, it encourages people to smoke their cigarettes.

I think the powers that be inadvertantly missed a trick when they made the rules. When they banned tobacco logos, they never considered that the sponsorship would remain and that the associated promotion of tobacco products would become more sophisticated.

Tobacco sponsorship/funding should be banned full stop.
Old 6 Apr 2011, 14:24 (Ref:2859703)   #38
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by csirl View Post
I have a problem with tobacco sponsorship being allowed, even if the tobacco company is not allowed to display the logos on cars etc. It means the sport is still supported by the tobacco industry and is still being used as a promotional tool by the tobacco industry. Marlboro dont give money to Ferrari out of charity - they do it because, regardless of the logo rules, it encourages people to smoke their cigarettes.

I think the powers that be inadvertantly missed a trick when they made the rules. When they banned tobacco logos, they never considered that the sponsorship would remain and that the associated promotion of tobacco products would become more sophisticated.

Tobacco sponsorship/funding should be banned full stop.
Why.

It's someones own personal choice if they want to smoke or not. It's not like sponsorship of a team is gonna make me wanna go out and buy cigarettes.
Old 6 Apr 2011, 14:25 (Ref:2859704)   #39
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Why.

It's someones own personal choice if they want to smoke or not. It's not like sponsorship of a team is gonna make me wanna go out and buy cigarettes.
If advertising didn't work, companies wouldn't do it.
Old 6 Apr 2011, 14:28 (Ref:2859706)   #40
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
If advertising didn't work, companies wouldn't do it.
****, well in that case who cares. If someone wants to voluntarily kill themselves then let them. People know what they're getting into when they start smoking, it's not like it's a big surprise to learn they have lung cancer down the line.
Old 6 Apr 2011, 14:41 (Ref:2859709)   #41
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As if governments care about the welfare of the common folk.
If they did care, then why don't they stop taxing the crap out of it, and ban it outright?

Oh wait, it's a moneymaker, nevermind!
Old 6 Apr 2011, 14:42 (Ref:2859710)   #42
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Advertising really works and they spend trillions in it.
Old 6 Apr 2011, 15:20 (Ref:2859729)   #43
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
****, well in that case who cares. If someone wants to voluntarily kill themselves then let them. People know what they're getting into when they start smoking, it's not like it's a big surprise to learn they have lung cancer down the line.
I don't disagree. But these threads are always full of people bragging about how they aren't influenced by advertising - but the fact is, we all are, or companies wouldn't bother.
Old 7 Apr 2011, 05:00 (Ref:2860000)   #44
Juarez Jed
Veteran

Juarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJuarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting that in Australia they have even banned ciggie logos on the packets of smokes themselves!
So if you want to replicate the Marlboro packet on your Ferrari airbox you'll have to put a picture of a diseased eyeball or a cancerous mouth presumably !!

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...-1226035230408

Of course the companies only ever claim that they advertise to get people to switch brands rather than take up smoking so even that will be pointless now with all the packets the same.
Old 7 Apr 2011, 07:42 (Ref:2860024)   #45
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Smoking is a lifestyle choice. No amount of advertising will *make* someone start smoking. The tobacco adverts of the past were there to tempt people to switch brands. I've watched F1 since 1985, and ive never smoked (well a cigar on my 21st).
Old 7 Apr 2011, 10:16 (Ref:2860105)   #46
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I think tobacco advertsing does subtly create a smoking culture. If so you don't neccesarily draw from that an advert ban. People should learn to be responsible for their own behaviour.