7 31 32.98%
8 10 10.64%
9 0 0%
10 0 0%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27 Mar 2011, 14:44 (Ref:2854224)   #26
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
It gave it a 4 based what I expected versus what we got; predictable results, passing in the pits and not much on the track.

I will give it an honourable 10 based on the fact I got to watch it in HD!
Old 27 Mar 2011, 14:48 (Ref:2854226)   #27
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I stayed awake for the whole race while laying in bed which was a surprise. The race started at 2 am. I was burnt out coming home from work after almost 200km on the snowmobile on rough bush trails and lakes. So, I guess it was the hype of the first race of the season that kept me awake more so than the race itself.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 16:18 (Ref:2854263)   #28
andy666
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
andy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridandy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
After keeping up with pre season testing and any news i was real excited about the start of this season , but i just felt a bit let down . I know it has to be fine tuned but the DRS didnt really do much . As a Mclaren fan i feel i have to take my hat off to Red Bull and Sebastien(no KERS)Vettel . I gave an 8 , 6 for the race and an extra 2 for the first race in HD
Old 27 Mar 2011, 17:22 (Ref:2854308)   #29
newlaprecord
Racer

Switzerland
Feusisberg
newlaprecord should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Must be a 6 at best. Could vote 7 but only because it was a long winter. If this race happend mid-season it would be a 5 to 6 in my book. No real drama anywhere near the sharp end (unless we count that fumbler chicane cut by Jense)
Old 27 Mar 2011, 17:31 (Ref:2854317)   #30
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by newlaprecord View Post
Must be a 6 at best. Could vote 7 but only because it was a long winter. If this race happend mid-season it would be a 5 to 6 in my book. No real drama anywhere near the sharp end (unless we count that fumbler chicane cut by Jense)
That says it all for me. I gave it 6 and that includes it being the first race of the season and at Melbourne.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 17:40 (Ref:2854331)   #31
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If you didn't like watching that then you don't like F1. I'm not saying it is a classic, but that was a standard F1 race. I don't mean this era, I mean over all the years. So if you didn't like it then do yourself a favour and give up because most races aren't going to be much better than that.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 18:24 (Ref:2854363)   #32
Pitstop
Veteran

United Kingdom
Devon, UK
Pitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I gave it a 6 because I enjoyed Vettel's cool, calm and collected start to the season.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 19:05 (Ref:2854387)   #33
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A bit dull.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 19:25 (Ref:2854402)   #34
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I gave it a 7. Not the most exciting race and I would have liked to see more overtaking, but some of the battles were close and the tyre pitstops spiced it up a little bit. Definitely better than last year's Bahrain. That I had trouble staying awake through.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 19:53 (Ref:2854441)   #35
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
5. Pretty dull. It would have got a 4 but for the fact that it was the first of the season. We'll have to hope for better....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
If you didn't like watching that then you don't like F1. I'm not saying it is a classic, but that was a standard F1 race. I don't mean this era, I mean over all the years. So if you didn't like it then do yourself a favour and give up because most races aren't going to be much better than that.
A pretty sad indictment of F1 though. Still doesn't make me want to give it 5.5......
Old 27 Mar 2011, 21:18 (Ref:2854502)   #36
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
As Aysedasi said, that's a pretty sad indictment of current F1. I think 6 is quite generous.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 21:54 (Ref:2854526)   #37
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
F1 is but a mere shadow of its former self, and saying that dullness is the norm and everyone should just like it or gtfo, is not really the way to go, tbh.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 22:09 (Ref:2854529)   #38
Lin1876
Rookie

Scotland
Scotland
Lin1876 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've given it a 6/10. I think the race itself was more of a 5, but it threw up some interesting possibilities for the races to come. DRS and tyre wear are likely to come up again and again this season.

Great job from Petrov and Perez, Heidfeld and Barrichello could do better. Ominous signs for the rest of the season: that Red Bull is FAST.

Shame about Sauber being disqualified, but I think if they have broken the rules the DSQ should stand. They seem to have a quick car which is once again gentle on its tyres. They could throw some surprises this season, especially at Canada, where tyre management is critical.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 22:53 (Ref:2854552)   #39
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
A pretty sad indictment of F1 though. Still doesn't make me want to give it 5.5......
The following post isn't along the lines of what I was saying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
As Aysedasi said, that's a pretty sad indictment of current F1. I think 6 is quite generous.
As I said, it isn't an indictment of current F1. That is pretty much how it has always been. To paraphrase Ben Kenobi, "who is the most foolish; the foolish sport, or the fool who continues to follow it?".
Old 27 Mar 2011, 22:59 (Ref:2854560)   #40
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post
F1 is but a mere shadow of its former self, and saying that dullness is the norm and everyone should just like it or gtfo, is not really the way to go, tbh.
A good F1 race is a bit like a glorious summer - we only remember the good ones.

There have been many dull races in every era of F1, but we have been privileged to have witnessed some of the best racing ever in F1 over the last few seasons.

Want more action? Other series can provide that, but not all of the time.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 23:16 (Ref:2854574)   #41
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
A good F1 race is a bit like a glorious summer - we only remember the good ones.

There have been many dull races in every era of F1, but we have been privileged to have witnessed some of the best racing ever in F1 over the last few seasons.

Want more action? Other series can provide that, but not all of the time.
When I first got into F1 in the '70s, there was a lot of dull processional racing, not unlike last season and as you say every era has had its share of dull racing. In a way I quite like those processional, attritional races; seeing whose machine can go the distance.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 23:51 (Ref:2854586)   #42
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
In a way I quite like those processional, attritional races; seeing whose machine can go the distance.
Ah! The good old days. When championships were won and lost at the turn of a crankshaft.
Old 28 Mar 2011, 00:03 (Ref:2854593)   #43
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
6/10

Only Okay, loved the Button vs Massa battles though. But things are definitely looking good for the rest of the season unless Vettel runs away with the championship. Great job by Petrov and Im expecting a lot out of him this year.

Sucks that Sauber got disqualified, great drive by Perez as well as yet another good run by Kobayashi.

Looking forward to Malaysia, one of the best Tilke tracks and always a large chance of wet weather.
Old 28 Mar 2011, 00:45 (Ref:2854609)   #44
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
The following post isn't along the lines of what I was saying.As I said, it isn't an indictment of current F1. That is pretty much how it has always been. To paraphrase Ben Kenobi, "who is the most foolish; the foolish sport, or the fool who continues to follow it?".
The difference for me between then and now is that once, we used to have exciting and interesting cars going round. Even if the racing was as dull as today, watching the cars was entertaining. Now we have gimmicky rules and cars that might as well be part of a spec series. To justify that, the racing needs to be massively more exciting than the regular dull grand prix of years past, or else it's a failure.

3/10. Worst Australian grand prix I remember. I got up for most early races since the end of the 1994 season, and during today's race I decided I might as well just read the results online from now on.
Old 28 Mar 2011, 07:44 (Ref:2854673)   #45
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
AndyS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
7 for me. Tailed off towards the end, found myself counting down the laps at the end.
Old 28 Mar 2011, 08:30 (Ref:2854696)   #46
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
7 from me. Love the setting, the atmosphere, and someone said (and this is dead on) "it looks like a real track".

Cars look prettier this year without those God awful anvil style wings. Just need those noses a little lower.

Actual race was interesting. Shame the Massa/Button battle didn't last longer, really enjoyed that. I think the DRS was very interesting indeed. Worked better than I think most expected. It wasn't an "overtaking aid", but more something that simulated the effect of drafting, as F1 cars (for whatever reason, I don't want to talk about that ) can no longer do so.

Petrov did outstanding, as did Perez.

Selby
Old 28 Mar 2011, 08:41 (Ref:2854705)   #47
neil_davidson2
TT Photo Of The Year Winner - 2009 & 2010
Veteran

England
Swindon, UK
neil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridneil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Bull View Post
Interesting rather than exciting
I think that sums it up well - 6 from me.

Watched the recording rather than live and it made a decent start to a lazy sunday afternoon.
Old 28 Mar 2011, 11:09 (Ref:2854785)   #48
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I was expecting more, but it was interesting.
Old 28 Mar 2011, 13:09 (Ref:2854849)   #49
Grandpa_Rob
Racer

Australia
Oz
Grandpa_Rob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
7 for me, seemed a little lack luster for an F1 opener, some good fights and passes but expected more up front; looking forward to Malaysia though.
Old 28 Mar 2011, 13:50 (Ref:2854868)   #50
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Not a classic, but I gave it a 6, some nice battles. Shame the leader was never really challenged.