Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 31 Mar 2011, 21:26 (Ref:2856543)   #26
Wims
Veteran

Norway
Wims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTTraces View Post
They manage to have Green laps at Bristol, wonders never cease

Not sure what to make of this, he's not racing where the money is to put food on the table cos he's a multi millionaire.

He gets easily bored I guess and loses interest in things. How long will he stay interested in NASCAR before he decides to wonder off and do something else?
If you were rich and had a big name, wouldnt you want to try out all these series as well? Rally, NASCAR, maybe Le Mans etc. Sounds like a great way to pass the time if you ask me
Old 31 Mar 2011, 21:49 (Ref:2856553)   #27
Quartermiler
Rookie

England
Quartermiler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a "racing" driver I'm sure it should be very appealing for him.

200mph monsters racing flat out and swapping paint while they're at it. It's a very tough challenge for any driver, despite Schumacher's rather derogatory comments when JPM moved over to the sport.

Only ex-single seater driver Tony Stewart has really made any impression on the sport in terms of wins in recent history as far as I'm aware. Which speaks volumes if you look at the level of single seater talent that has tried it.

It's a real shame Mansell never jumped in one after his Indy stint, that would have been worth watching

Last edited by Quartermiler; 31 Mar 2011 at 22:04.
Old 31 Mar 2011, 22:14 (Ref:2856562)   #28
Wims
Veteran

Norway
Wims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartermiler View Post

200mph monsters racing flat out and swapping paint while they're at it. It's a very tough challenge for any driver, despite Schumacher's rather derogatory comments when JPM moved over to the sport.
Its a totally different ballgame really, and the skillsets doesnt overlap as much as one would think.
Old 31 Mar 2011, 22:20 (Ref:2856568)   #29
BMW_F1
Rookie

United States
New York City
BMW_F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post

It's also a shame because there are signs that he's getting to grips with rallying. He was 7th last time out in Portugal.
Is that really good though? - when there are only 10 cars that compete in WRC.
Old 31 Mar 2011, 22:23 (Ref:2856571)   #30
BMW_F1
Rookie

United States
New York City
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Now there's a thought, get Kimi and JPM to hook up with Loeb or even just another NASCAR guy and have a go at Le Mans.....
I think JPM once mentioned that he'll be interested to do LeMans, the problem is that the NASCAR schedule is too demanding and does not give him that free weekend to do LeMans.
A more reasonable idea would be to talk Chip into adding an extra car for Kimi once Kimi realizes that partnering with Gillet is not the way to do things.
JPM and Kimi teammates again but this time in the top NASCAR series. - I am sure most would love that.

Last edited by BMW_F1; 31 Mar 2011 at 22:29.
Old 31 Mar 2011, 22:40 (Ref:2856584)   #31
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_F1 View Post
No, it's not, but it's progress. He doesn't seem to throw the car off the road so much and was delayed by a puncture in Portugal, but Petter Solberg (<- see left) had four and still finished ahead of him!

The Le Mans idea appeals to me most, that and IRL, but in both cases only with the right team.
Old 31 Mar 2011, 23:50 (Ref:2856607)   #32
Wims
Veteran

Norway
Quote:
He has impressed me more then Matt Wilson, but then again Matt Wilson isnt much of a benchmark
Old 1 Apr 2011, 01:44 (Ref:2856627)   #33
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I most definitely will be looking into Kimi driving in the series. F1 seems so empty without him (for me). Ever since his F1 departure it has been a struggle to watch races even though I have not missed a race in many years.

It will be hilarious to see microphones shoved in front of his face at the Nascar circuits and Kimi standing there saying nothing.

Driving Nascar is definitely much more difficult than it looks.
Old 1 Apr 2011, 07:26 (Ref:2856660)   #34
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Pete View Post
F1 seems so empty without him (for me). Ever since his F1 departure it has been a struggle to watch races even though I have not missed a race in many years.
My feelings exactly. This year I find it difficult to get excited by F1. Mind you it has happened before in the course of 4 decades of being an F1 fanboi, as favourites for various reasons have come and gone. I remember thinking the world had ended when we lost Gilles..... but then Niki Lauda returned and for me that was heaven.

I do enjoy it when a rookie comes into F1 and proves to the world that he is different, and more recently we seem to have had a few bright lights with Kimi, Hamilton Vettel, and now I am getting enjoyment out of seeing the likes of Kobayashi, Perez, (wish I could add Hulkenberg to the list but his chance will come again.) I just wish some of the elder statesmen of F1 such as Schumacher and Barrichello would make way for the new breed. They have shown that in reality they are not what they were.

Finally, re Raikkonen in WRC not doing too well I would refute that given the challenge that WRC presents in terms of the different strengths that it calls for over say F1. Another point is people talk of only 10 WRC entries and so 7th is nothing worth getting excited about..... there were actually 15 cars classed as FIA priority 1 WRC entries, plus some others of lower priority in the last rally.

I think we also have 11 or 12 TEAMS of the top 'works (manufacturers) entered/assisted' WRC class entries...... some of these teams (ie Stobart Ford) having 4 car entries. 17 cars in all, plus another 5 WRC privateer entries (ie Per-Gunnar Andersson and the 3 Mini Coopers entered as Privateers). Potentially 22 WRC class cars not 10.
Click here for full WRC entry list

It also has to be said that with the dumbing down of the WRC class cars this year to be basically "Super 2000" class cars with a few options that the performance gap between WRC and other classes such as S2000 is not that great any more.

On the Raikkonen to Le Mans with Loeb thought that I raised earlier in the thread, Peugeot could enter a car with Loeb & Raikkonen joined by Stefan Sarrazin, who, as well as being one of the central drivers of the full Peugeot LMP1 campaign for the last few years has also driven a lot of WRC, and other rallying (Monte Carlo 2010 4th place) and even in F1 and F3000 before. Sarrazin is driving full time for Peugeot in the IRC Championship this year.

That would then be a Le Mans team who all have driven F1 cars (Loeb only testing) and who have had point scoring finishes in WRC.

Sad part of my little dream thought is that Loeb and Raikkonen have both confirmed no Le Mans this year despite no WRC / LM calendar clash.
Old 1 Apr 2011, 14:21 (Ref:2856857)   #35
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Where do Sprint Cup cars become:

"200mph monsters racing flat out and swapping paint while they're at it".

-OR-

"43 cars piling into bends in a pack at 205mph+..."

I hear that MPH being thrown around by the NASCAR crowd like Jacques throws around his opinions. I watch a little NASCAR and I never see the cars reaching that speed. Is "200 mph" badass NASCAR-speak for like around 185mph??

Getting back to Kimi, I like the guy and would hope the NASCAR crowd could warm him up a bit but I doubt it. As a result the fans will hate him which could add to the pro wrestling image of NASCAR...
Old 1 Apr 2011, 14:27 (Ref:2856864)   #36
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wims View Post
If you were rich and had a big name, wouldnt you want to try out all these series as well? Rally, NASCAR, maybe Le Mans etc. Sounds like a great way to pass the time if you ask me
Absolutely. But I'd prefer it if Kimi had waited until he was a bit older before tasting all the flavours. He's only 31. He should still be in F1.
Old 1 Apr 2011, 18:31 (Ref:2857003)   #37
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I think JPM once mentioned that he'll be interested to do LeMans, the problem is that the NASCAR schedule is too demanding and does not give him that free weekend to do LeMans.
A more reasonable idea would be to talk Chip into adding an extra car for Kimi once Kimi realizes that partnering with Gillet is not the way to do things.
JPM and Kimi teammates again but this time in the top NASCAR series. - I am sure most would love that.
Yes, Ganassi stretching their limited resources to field a third car for a rookie.

As a JPM fan I would love that.
Old 2 Apr 2011, 14:19 (Ref:2857363)   #38
Quartermiler
Rookie

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritle View Post

-OR-

I hear that MPH being thrown around by the NASCAR crowd like Jacques throws around his opinions. I watch a little NASCAR and I never see the cars reaching that speed. Is "200 mph" badass NASCAR-speak for like around 185mph??
Yep, they reach 200mph and over. Watch the super-speedway races and the telemetry from the cars.
Old 2 Apr 2011, 17:02 (Ref:2857430)   #39
BMW_F1
Rookie

United States
New York City

Excellent news.. Kimi is ditching Gillet and partnering with Kyle Busch.
http://nascar.speedtv.com/article/tr...car-kbm-truck/
Old 2 Apr 2011, 17:26 (Ref:2857443)   #40
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Very good move.
Old 2 Apr 2011, 17:32 (Ref:2857445)   #41
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
Absolutely. But I'd prefer it if Kimi had waited until he was a bit older before tasting all the flavours. He's only 31. He should still be in F1.
Totally agree, but I think it's very unlikely now unless something unexpected happens. Mind you, he and Vettel get on very well, so maybe it could be Kimi to Red Bull for 2012! (Sorry, Mark.)
Old 2 Apr 2011, 20:23 (Ref:2857502)   #42
f1toy
Racer

f1toy is a back marker
welcome to the usa kimi
Old 2 Apr 2011, 23:25 (Ref:2857586)   #43
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
It is interesting news I was a little shocked when I first heard about it, but on reflection as much as I miss him in F1 the best of luck to him..

It will be a good reason to start watching although recently I have started to pay more attention to it seeing as I live where I do..

I would like to sergest that they have a NASCAR race on the Saturday and a F1 race on the Sunday at Austin, that would be different..I wonder is that feasible, crazy idea maybe...

I think for a while The Kimster he will be flying bellow the radar in NASCAR, but it is entirely possible that he could do rather well given some time..
Old 3 Apr 2011, 08:07 (Ref:2857652)   #44
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Kimi officially seals NASCAR deal.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/90407

Maybe he'll swap places with Webber at the end of the year?

Webber to NASCAR!
Old 4 Apr 2011, 04:13 (Ref:2858355)   #45
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritle View Post

-OR-

Getting back to Kimi, I like the guy and would hope the NASCAR crowd could warm him up a bit but I doubt it. As a result the fans will hate him which could add to the pro wrestling image of NASCAR...
90% of tracks over 1 mile they'll reach over 200mph
Old 4 Apr 2011, 10:57 (Ref:2858499)   #46
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They reach 200mph most of the time.

What does it matter anyways? They are damn quick for buses.
Old 4 Apr 2011, 14:52 (Ref:2858614)   #47
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
They reach 200mph most of the time.

What does it matter anyways? They are damn quick for buses.
Must be the eurosnobbery about NASCAR.
Old 4 Apr 2011, 15:36 (Ref:2858639)   #48
Quartermiler
Rookie

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Must be the eurosnobbery about NASCAR.
I think much of the "Eurosnobbery" as you put it, comes from a partial ignorance in Europe of American motorsports.

Obviously there plenty of very well informed fans of US motorsports in Europe but being a long time fan of NHRA, IHRA, NASCAR, Indy, ALMS etc , I notice the lack of knowledge when talking to other race fans here.

However, when I'm in the States, I find it really hard to get info on what's going on with the rest of the world's motorsport scene.

Great racing is great racing, wherever it's at, and the US along with Europe have a rich history, quality series and great fan base. So for me, if the snobbery exists, then it's a little misguided.
Old 4 Apr 2011, 16:20 (Ref:2858666)   #49
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Definitely there is snobbery from both sides. Highly frustrating.

But not confined to motorsports either.
Old 4 Apr 2011, 17:07 (Ref:2858697)   #50
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think he will enjoy the atmosphere and like Montoya love the racing and competition after the sterile atmosphere of F1. Montoya questioned the other day if F1 drivers were now expected to be engineers not drivers with the various knobs and buttons on the steering wheel, non of which have anything to do with driving skill. Whilst we hear praise from those with a vested interest in F1 i am sure some of the greats must be turning in their graves when they look at what the sport has become.