Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 22 Nov 2013, 09:56 (Ref:3335130)   #6726
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Heres an interesting interview with Vasselon http://bbs.hupu.com/6878753.html. He speaks of seamless transmissions, the decision to not use a blown exhaust, his Michelin experience and a few other things.
Old 22 Nov 2013, 10:32 (Ref:3335146)   #6727
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Heres an interesting interview with Vasselon http://bbs.hupu.com/6878753.html. He speaks of seamless transmissions, the decision to not use a blown exhaust, his Michelin experience and a few other things.
In English please
Old 22 Nov 2013, 16:40 (Ref:3335254)   #6728
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FĂ©lix View Post
In the December edition of Racecar Engineering magazine, there's an interesting piece about the new Super Formula car for 2014 and the new 550hp 2 liter turbo engines focused on fuel efficiency. There's a paragraph about how they experimented last year with half of a RV8K installed in a car with a turbo sticking out of the sidepod. The new engine is a brand new 2 liter block with direct fuel injection and spec Zytek hybrid system.

That's the most interesting and substantiated account of a new Toyota race engine I've read, and I can't help but think such an engine would be more suited for Le Mans - if Toyota really wanted to look serious about Le Mans. At least some of the developments might make their way towards Toyota's 2014 engine, whatever it ends up being.
I was reading that article thinking the same thing, I am puzzled to hear Toyota will stick with the same V8 engine layout next year........I could understand if they had a big capacity like 4.5-5 litres in order to keep the revs low for good fuel consumption, will the capacity stay the same???.......Toyota are clever folk, I guess they have their reasons.........interesting this Super Formula will spawn a flurry of 550-600bhp 2.0 4-cylinder spec engines from the likes of Toyota, Honda and apparently Nissan......it would add another LMP1 option for them I'm sure.......interesting the article says the superformula cars are 3 seconds a lap quicker with the new I4 turbo engines than the outgoing NA V8, but I must say its quite a different car!
Old 22 Nov 2013, 19:54 (Ref:3335344)   #6729
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
No answer on the capacity of the engine. Just confirmation theyll stay with the V8. An interview with Bart Hayden of Rebellion says they're leaning higher displacement. They confirmed they're staying with the TMG engine, so I think both factory and customer engines will be larger capacity.
Old 22 Nov 2013, 20:15 (Ref:3335348)   #6730
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
No answer on the capacity of the engine. Just confirmation theyll stay with the V8. An interview with Bart Hayden of Rebellion says they're leaning higher displacement. They confirmed they're staying with the TMG engine, so I think both factory and customer engines will be larger capacity.
Great news about the engine ..... best sounding thing in the P field .
Old 28 Nov 2013, 13:21 (Ref:3337744)   #6731
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
Interesting interview of Vasselon by Laurent Mercier (www.endurance-info.com).

(source: www.endurance-info.com)

The TS040 (Vasselon himself refers to this designation) is expected to get to the track for its first tests in January. Not much more information though
Old 28 Nov 2013, 13:36 (Ref:3337749)   #6732
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
JoestForEver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNigel View Post
Interesting interview of Vasselon by Laurent Mercier (www.endurance-info.com).

(source: www.endurance-info.com)

The TS040 (Vasselon himself refers to this designation) is expected to get to the track for its first tests in January. Not much more information though
That's not good. They are kicking off field test too late to get enough data. Do they decide to use the old car at silver stone again or are they just fairly confident about their wind tunnel?
Old 28 Nov 2013, 14:50 (Ref:3337763)   #6733
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
The smallest budget, the last car to hit the track.... I have to admit I really lack the imagination see them beat both Audi and Porsche this way.
Old 28 Nov 2013, 14:50 (Ref:3337764)   #6734
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoestForEver View Post
That's not good. They are kicking off field test too late to get enough data. Do they decide to use the old car at silver stone again or are they just fairly confident about their wind tunnel?
I believe that they have no other choice than to be ready for the start of the season at Silverstone. Using the old car wouldn't make much sense IMHO.

For sure, Toyota are facing quite a challenge in order to be ready in time. With Porsche testing on the track since last June and Audi since last September, it will be surprising if Toyota can be competitive and reliable from the start.
Old 28 Nov 2013, 15:52 (Ref:3337776)   #6735
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I believe that they have no other choice than to be ready for the start of the season at Silverstone. Using the old car wouldn't make much sense IMHO.

For sure, Toyota are facing quite a challenge in order to be ready in time. With Porsche testing on the track since last June and Audi since last September, it will be surprising if Toyota can be competitive and reliable from the start.
The TS030 will be illegal next year, so the TS040, HAS to be ready.
The TS030, also started road testing pretty late, and had a major hold up, when their test chassis was destroyed.
That didn't stop them from having a fairly good year. Of course next year with Porsche will take the racing to another level, however, now TMG has the experience, and can therefor better handle the later testing, than they could with the TS030.
Old 28 Nov 2013, 18:23 (Ref:3337838)   #6736
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
The TS030 will be illegal next year, so the TS040, HAS to be ready.
Legally-speaking, it "could" still be grandfathered into 2014...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
The TS030, also started road testing pretty late, and had a major hold up, when their test chassis was destroyed.
That didn't stop them from having a fairly good year. Of course next year with Porsche will take the racing to another level, however, now TMG has the experience, and can therefor better handle the later testing, than they could with the TS030.
The only thing that you cannot buy is time and time is surely of essence in view of the entry into force of the new 2014 Technical Regulations. While the cars will essentially "look" the same, there are substantial changes under the skin as you know and these changes need to be properly tested if you want to have a reasonable chance to win LM especially. There will be little time for Toyota to correct any potential "deficiency" that they may encounter during testing.

Don't get me wrong. I am not saying that Toyota will not be in a position to win next year, but it surely does not help if technical issues show up only a few months, or worse weeks, before LM. You need to test and test and test and test... and this requires TIME...
Old 28 Nov 2013, 18:37 (Ref:3337841)   #6737
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
Quote:
Legally-speaking, it "could" still be grandfathered into 2014...

The only thing that you cannot buy is time and time is surely of essence in view of the entry into force of the new 2014 Technical Regulations. While the cars will essentially "look" the same, there are substantial changes under the skin as you know and these changes need to be properly tested if you want to have a reasonable chance to win LM especially. There will be little time for Toyota to correct any potential "deficiency" that they may encounter during testing.

Don't get me wrong. I am not saying that Toyota will not be in a position to win next year, but it surely does not help if technical issues show up only a few months, or worse weeks, before LM. You need to test and test and test and test... and this requires TIME...
On the other hand, since they stick with the RV8K block, probably the burden of R&D for TMG is significantly smaller than the other two. So it's reasonable for them to carry out tests more efficiently, i.e. fewer and later track tests.
Old 28 Nov 2013, 19:11 (Ref:3337852)   #6738
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoestForEver View Post
On the other hand, since they stick with the RV8K block, probably the burden of R&D for TMG is significantly smaller than the other two. So it's reasonable for them to carry out tests more efficiently, i.e. fewer and later track tests.
The displacement of the powerplant is likely to be increased (it was rumored to be a 5l engine if I am not mistaken).

Thing is, the basis may be substantially the same as the "old" V8 block, but it's going to be operated in a "reasonably" different way in view of the fuel flow restrictions imposed by the new rules. Toyota will furthermore have to tweak usage of the whole powerplant architecture (including the two KERS on the front and rear axles) to optimize their package.

This is not as straightforward as it seems, I am afraid...
Old 29 Nov 2013, 08:18 (Ref:3338047)   #6739
TF110
Veteran

United States
They said the engine is much different than the RV8. So theres probably a brand new terminology thats not called RV8xx. Remember they have the technical know how and facilities to make a brand new car in house. Its not like Audi who have to outsource to dallara for chassis construction. For all we know the finishing touches are being laid out before track testing. Also, theyre ahead in the hybrid area since theyll continue with the super-cap with more power and storage. Being late to the testing is nothing new. In F1 numerous teams do this just to put more work into their car. Testing has already begun on the sim according to the drivers. Gonna be great to see.
Old 29 Nov 2013, 10:19 (Ref:3338091)   #6740
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
It is being rumoured that Toyota could have reserved three slots for the LM 2014 race. Any info on this ?
Old 29 Nov 2013, 10:25 (Ref:3338094)   #6741
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
It is being rumoured that Toyota could have reserved three slots for the LM 2014 race. Any info on this ?
No, but against Audi and Porsche it would FINALLY be the sensible thing to do. I guess we'll find out 100% officially during January...
Old 29 Nov 2013, 13:13 (Ref:3338106)   #6742
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
Good to hear, so at Le mans it will be at least 3 vs. 3 vs. 2 in P1 cars. Probably the privateers will manage to pass one or two.
Old 29 Nov 2013, 14:15 (Ref:3338134)   #6743
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
That would make so much sense, running just two cars is such a limitation strategy & setup wise. Maybe the bean counters have finally come to their senses.
Old 29 Nov 2013, 19:08 (Ref:3338265)   #6744
NelisB
Veteran

Netherlands
Deventer
NelisB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
That would make so much sense, running just two cars is such a limitation strategy & setup wise. Maybe the bean counters have finally come to their senses.
That might mean a fully Japanese team again. Would like to see that every extra lmp1 car at le mans is welcome.
Old 29 Nov 2013, 21:25 (Ref:3338330)   #6745
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Crossing literally EVERYTHING that this is true!
Old 29 Nov 2013, 21:57 (Ref:3338344)   #6746
Bandicoot17
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham
Bandicoot17 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah 3 cars would be great, if Porsche somehow can get 3 cars too it'll be a very impressive lineup.
Wonder what drivers Toyota would go for??
Old 29 Nov 2013, 22:18 (Ref:3338348)   #6747
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandicoot17 View Post
Yeah 3 cars would be great, if Porsche somehow can get 3 cars too it'll be a very impressive lineup.
Wonder what drivers Toyota would go for??
Hopefully Andrea Caldarelli plus a couple of Japanese Super GT pilots. Might be that chance for Ishiura to finally get a driver.

But ideally it would be good to get some Japanese drivers in the car and also get it at Spa. But let's see what they say.

A win tomorrow would do them some good I'd say.
Old 29 Nov 2013, 22:37 (Ref:3338353)   #6748
TF110
Veteran

United States
Minnasian would be a good pick up, if not then Calderelli and the GT500 champions Yuji Tachikawa and/or Kohei Hirate. Tachikawa has LeMans experience with DOME in 2008.

In other news, Pascal Vasselon called the new car "TS040" in the endurance-info interview. Kinda figured that. 040 also goes well with 2014.
Old 30 Nov 2013, 00:47 (Ref:3338400)   #6749
Beryl
Veteran

Beryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBeryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Honestly, Caldarelli has not impressed me enough to put him into a TS040 at Le Mans. I'd lean more towards Ishiura, Rossiter, Oshima and the Cerumo drivers if it was me choosing from Toyota's Super GT complement.
Old 30 Nov 2013, 02:06 (Ref:3338415)   #6750
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
How about Lucas Luhr's partner in the 2011 GTR GT1, Krum?