Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 26 Jun 2003, 12:48 (Ref:643696)   #1
kosmic
Rookie

kosmic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sensible racing at 16 yrs

Can any1 help me with this?? My son does karting but has grown too much to be competitive. Can u tell me what he can do on a "sensible" budget. He does not want to do rallying, only sprint championships. Does not want to do Autograss, quite fancys Fiesta, would love to do Radicals (but too expensive). He will be 16 next year so we have almost a year to either build or test???? Any info appreciated.
Old 26 Jun 2003, 13:24 (Ref:643720)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not familiar with the under 17 rules I'm afraid but there are many chamionships available on a smaller budget. The 750 MC and the MG Car Club come to mind.
Old 26 Jun 2003, 14:10 (Ref:643764)   #3
Bob Pearson
Veteran

Bob Pearson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
16 yr olds can race in car championships as long as they have karting experience ( I believe it is a year). In any season we have a number of 16yr olds straight from karting in the BARC Formula Renault, they seem to take to it with no problems. That may or may not be too expensive, I am only telling you that so you know the mechanism exists and does work regularily.
Old 26 Jun 2003, 14:43 (Ref:643792)   #4
bradenc
Racer

United Kingdom
cambridgeshire
bradenc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Come and have a go in the 750MC Formula Vee, Single Seaters don't come any cheaper(At least I don't think they do).
Old 26 Jun 2003, 15:55 (Ref:643841)   #5
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
What about T Cars?
Old 26 Jun 2003, 15:59 (Ref:643845)   #6
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think he could get a National B with a dispensation from them in slough
Old 26 Jun 2003, 19:56 (Ref:644055)   #7
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think there was a 16 year old racing in Porshe race at Rockingham on Sunday.....
Old 26 Jun 2003, 23:57 (Ref:644219)   #8
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
kosmic, it's good to see that there are a few people in here who are keen to help, but it would be a lot easier if we knew what you call a sensible budget, we've all got our own ideas and limits.
Old 27 Jun 2003, 07:18 (Ref:644410)   #9
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The new this year BARC single-seaters this year sounds the cheapest, at £100 per double header with prize money and an F3 prize drive.
Also you can use a car you can also use in other champs, such as FF1600, FVee, FRenault, FFord Zetec
Old 27 Jun 2003, 08:00 (Ref:644446)   #10
jonathanc
Racer

jonathanc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with JR above, the BARC SS is the best value for money when it comes to single seater track time. It also provides the opportunity to learn the car and tracks without too many other cars around you. Depending on the car you buy, you could then do Monoposto races and if you buy a Jedi, then you could do BARC SS, Monoposto and Formula Honda.

Jedi cars are an excellent way of moving from carts to SS type cars as they are very light, responsive and easy to maintain and setup. Have a chat with John Corbyn on 01933 440774 if your interested as other karters have gone down this route.
Old 27 Jun 2003, 18:20 (Ref:644997)   #11
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
av8rirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F Vee is a good starting class. It is inexpensive and has large, competitive grids. Check out some of the 750MC meetings. You can see the calendar at www.750mc.co.uk
Old 27 Jun 2003, 21:13 (Ref:645099)   #12
Old Ropey
Racer

Old Ropey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
16 year olds

I don't know about BARC SS but Jedi's are grand little cars
Far better than Zip, Much cheaper and quicker. We have a 16 year old joining Formula Honda in August, Jodie Hemming was 16 when she started last year.
Most of the quick F Honda drivers are from karting, it really is the ideal first step into cars with performance about the same as FF Zetec but at a fraction of the cost.
Speak to John Corbyn as suggested or phone me on 07876 135545, I'm secretary of the Jedi Racing Club.
Old 30 Jun 2003, 09:31 (Ref:646943)   #13
Bob Pearson
Veteran

kosmic,
everyone, including your self is hedging around the money bit. Just to break the ice, I can't see you buying anything with reasonably modern technology for less than 6K and if you are good engineers you can get away with 3-4k annual running costs. I doubt that anyone can manage cheaper than that.
Old 3 Jul 2003, 20:00 (Ref:651265)   #14
racingdick
Veteran

racingdick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BARC Renault is good but getting hold of spares can be a nightmare. Ask a few of the regulars!!!!
Old 3 Jul 2003, 20:02 (Ref:651269)   #15
racingdick
Veteran

racingdick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
you thought bout the brdc formula ford champ, formula zip do deals with one off races, Formula palmer audi.

as regards saloon cars.. clios are good fun, Tom Onslow Cole has only jusr turned 16!!
Old 4 Jul 2003, 07:45 (Ref:651739)   #16
Bob Pearson
Veteran

Actually Dick, there are quite a few people ( including ourselves) making spares for BARC Renault cars. I think I can confidently say that anything needed can be found in this country. Certainly Tatuus are no longer intertested, but all "Renault Sport Kit Parts" are available from R sport and parts for Tatuus's are available from a variety of UK people. If you know someone who is stuck, point him towards us.
Old 4 Jul 2003, 10:35 (Ref:651859)   #17
kosmic
Rookie

kosmic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thankx to one and all for info - it has been a great help. We are looking at legends, but he is still only 14 (will be sixteen Aug. next year), he cannot even do a test day until then!! Will make some calls re Zip Formula Ford one off races (don't think we could afford a whole season) although he is not that keen on single seater. Thankx again.
Old 4 Jul 2003, 11:04 (Ref:651902)   #18
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
not keen on a single-seater? lightweight...
Old 6 Jul 2003, 07:40 (Ref:653749)   #19
kartingdad
Veteran

kartingdad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Try FF1600. Cheap (ish), loads of spares, loads of info, zero car depreciation, and good racing all the way down the field.
Old 6 Jul 2003, 20:43 (Ref:654179)   #20
El_Gibleto
Veteran

El_Gibleto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The HSCC have a scheme to encourage and assist young drivers into their classes, that may be an option worth investigating and running costs can be very low in some classes.

The racing is usually good and "clean", also the paddock seems to have a good atmosphere. A good place to learn to race, especially if your doing this for enjoyment and not trying to reach F1.