Old 5 Aug 2002, 15:39 (Ref:350511)   #1
Richard Sneader
Veteran

Scotland
Grays, Essex
Richard Sneader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lawn Mower 12hr 3/4 August

Hello all,
What can I say about this years event. We arrived on Saturday morning to a new track as they change it every year. We sorted out all the extinguishers and gave our input into certain parts of the track which we thought were dangerous and the CoC listned to our advise and changed these parts( marshals here do get input and listned to). Also we had a few laps in our 6 wheeled response vehicle. to learn the track of course.
The first practice came and we quickly found the problem areas which were the 2 bottom hairpins and the esses. This kept all our marshals very busy. After a break it was the second timed practise and this was a bit quite compared to the last sess but still plenty of spinners.
The race started at 20:00 and the rain arrived and stayed on and off causing all sorts of problems for drivers and our marshals to deal with. There were plenty of spinners and people breaking down as well as a small fire to deal with and frequant trips in our 6 wheeled John Deer Gator response vehicle to other parts of the track to deal with.
All the marshals got plenty of breaks, a club pin badge and sticker, 2 decent goody bags some red bull, a free meal from the catering wagon and the BBQ. 2 trips were needed, one for the burgers and sausages run then the second for the steaks. Also drinks were provided all night. At the awards ceremony all the marshals got a medal in a small presentation box.
All that I can say is a huge thank you to all our marshals:Steve Howard, Scott Ball, Tracey Palmer, Andrew Palmer, Andrew Hitcock, Gerry From Bayford Medows, Our driver Mike from the MGCC who had a go at marshalling and there press officer Stewart who spent a whole night with us marshalling.
Also on the marshalling admin and support my wife Lisa and Steves son Lewis Howard deserve a big thank you. I will be writing to them all soon.
Without all there expertise, skill, High morale through difficult conditions and enthusiasim The level of marshalling was a credit to them all.
And from me a big thank you to you all for making the 2002 a major sucsses and to the British Lawn Mower Racing Association and all its staff and members, drivers and teams and for there hospitality.
We will be back for 2003 and in September ther is a 2 day meeting of wich I am in the middle of sorting out. If anyone wants to volunteer then let me know.
Again a big thank you to all involved,
Richard Sneader,
Chief Marshal
BLMRA.

Last edited by Richard Sneader; 5 Aug 2002 at 15:42.
Old 6 Aug 2002, 12:00 (Ref:351197)   #2
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Richard, are you applying for a job at the Motor Sports Association as your "thank you" reads like the one published after the British GP every year
Old 6 Aug 2002, 14:52 (Ref:351330)   #3
PaulPerkins
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester, UK
PaulPerkins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Richard,

Do you have any pictures of this marathon? I'd love to see what mower racing is all about
Old 6 Aug 2002, 16:38 (Ref:351416)   #4
Richard Sneader
Veteran

Scotland
Grays, Essex
Richard Sneader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Paul,
If you look at the BLMRA web site ,I will look for the address they have a gallary on it and will have 2002 photos on it as well. Sky News reported on the event every hour and we had other press and TV as well.
No I am not applying for a Job at the MSA. The difference with my letter is it is genuine and I will be writing a personel letter to all involved. I do think it is important to thank the marshals who put in alot of work and also I was showing how a small club looked after all of us.
Rich S...
Old 7 Aug 2002, 06:56 (Ref:352017)   #5
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Richard, calm down, it was said tongue in cheek!
Old 7 Aug 2002, 08:12 (Ref:352035)   #6
PaulPerkins
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester, UK
PaulPerkins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very cool site, Richard!!

For those interested: http://www.racemower.co.uk/

Have fun!