Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Sep 2004, 19:29 (Ref:1084083)   #1
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Jacques, Monty, Mika, Damon and Eddie on Michael

http://www.gazzetta.it/primi_piani/m...91563781.shtml
Bild invited some F1 drivers to write comments for Michael, after his 7th WDC. For those of you who cannot read in Italian, I'll summarize:

Jacques Villeneuve: " You may believe it or not, Michael, but my congratulations for your 7th title come from my heart. I of course have bad memories tied to you, but also some good ones- Its normal (to have bad memories), for people, like us, who have battled for the title in '96 and '97. But you have changed since then. Now you are more sure of yourself, and you drive completely relaxed, and it mostly for this reason you are better than before. I wish for you to continue to run in F1 for many years, and that I will have the chance to once again battle you."

Mika Hakkinen: "Schumacher has always been strongest opponent, and our duels were passionate. For example, at Spa. I will never forget the final races of 98 and 99, when I won the championships in the last race. But 7 World Championships, are truly something remarkable. I have always said: If you want to win, take a Fin, but it looks like this time even a German will do."

Eddie Irvine: "What can the best driver in the world do? With his sense of speed: if Michael right now sat at the wheel of a BAR, he'd right away go 3 tenths faster than anyone else"

Damon Hill: "Incredible accomplishment. And to think I thought he'd retire after his sixth! But this 7th championship shows what an exceptional driver he is. Between us, there may be differences of opinion, but it was good to run against him, and even better to beat him. But now, the other constructors should finally make better cars, so that he has to work a bit harder to win."

Juan Montoya: "Its not his fault if this season for him it was so easy, but its not a good thing for F1, our sport. Michael, this year, you kept us all in your fist. You were truly strong. But I have to say: you simply had the best team and car. Like this its easy to be the world champion. But next year, I'll be at the wheel of a McLaren, and I'll give you much more problems."

-------

I thought Jacques was particularly (and out of character for him) gracious. Juan was Juan...
Old 1 Sep 2004, 19:48 (Ref:1084092)   #2
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm sure they'll somehow find a way to bash Jacques...
Well said though!
Old 1 Sep 2004, 20:11 (Ref:1084114)   #3
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nice one from JV... amusing!

as the guy above said... Juan will be Juan
Old 1 Sep 2004, 20:31 (Ref:1084128)   #4
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Juan is a current competitor and therefore couldn't exactly roll over....
Old 1 Sep 2004, 20:56 (Ref:1084164)   #5
Pitstop
Veteran

United Kingdom
Devon, UK
Pitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice comment from JV - I hope he gets a seat next year, he'd be a much better competitor than JPM, who, incidentally, I don't think will be as strong as Kimi, IMO.
Old 1 Sep 2004, 21:04 (Ref:1084177)   #6
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
GO Juan!
You rule JPM! evene though you are running away from my fav team.
What a shame, Williams my fav team, and JPM my fav driver, what a shame they couldn't have continuted...
Old 1 Sep 2004, 21:34 (Ref:1084205)   #7
Suzy
Retired
Veteran

Suzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh nice one Mika!
Old 1 Sep 2004, 22:43 (Ref:1084247)   #8
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Slippy Diff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice to see Irvine keeping his sycophantic nose brown!!
Old 1 Sep 2004, 23:00 (Ref:1084265)   #9
Cadete
Racer

Cadete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
Juan is a current competitor and therefore couldn't exactly roll over....
You can acknowledge someone's talent without rolling over.

Montoya can't stand being second best. I'm not saying he should be happy with it, far from it. I'm saying that he should strive to be the best without being allways saying that other just won because of everything except that they were better than him. An interview in AutoHebdo some months ago really gave me that impression.
Old 2 Sep 2004, 01:06 (Ref:1084323)   #10
Fuzzyfelt
Racer

Fuzzyfelt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It gave me quite a warm glow that everyone was so magnanimous.

To say that Michael held everyone else 'in his fist' isn't exactly rolling over.

Although, as for Eddie being sycophantic, I thought that was a dig - only three tenths?
Old 2 Sep 2004, 01:08 (Ref:1084325)   #11
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JPM is a bit of a whiner, we all know that. However, he is definately one of the top drivers in F1. I think I would feel similarly if I were in his shoes. What JPM needs to learn is proper discourse.

Just tell the man congrats...
Old 2 Sep 2004, 01:41 (Ref:1084341)   #12
Fuzzyfelt
Racer

Think JPM might grind his teeth to pieces as he said it!
Old 2 Sep 2004, 02:30 (Ref:1084364)   #13
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Led ZeppF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
C'mon... What could you expect for Juan to said? Like KB said, Juan is a current competitor and therefore couldn't exactly roll over.

Aniway, we can expect 'nice word' from drivers like Mark Webber. He is Schumi's admirer, you know.

Last edited by Led ZeppF1; 2 Sep 2004 at 02:31.
Old 2 Sep 2004, 08:44 (Ref:1084513)   #14
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm pleasantly surprised at the more warm attitude of JV.

But Juan being Juan, never one to be gracious with his words regarding competitors.
But given the celebrations, MS-fans should overlook this and give monty some room to stroke his ego

Last edited by Gt_R; 2 Sep 2004 at 08:45.
Old 2 Sep 2004, 13:10 (Ref:1084784)   #15
touringcarnut
Veteran

India
Hyderabad, India
touringcarnut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think if JV and Eddie were still racing they would not be so warming, Juan is a tough competitor, if he was to heap praise on MS, I don't feel his prospective team would be so keen to sign him!
Old 2 Sep 2004, 13:45 (Ref:1084811)   #16
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Some great comments there, genuine heartfelt words of respect from Jacques, and no more nor less than I'd expect from Juan!

You have to remember, Montoya sees himself as Schumacher's closest rival (rightly or wrongly!), so he's hardly going to say "he's my idol"... in fact he's very good at giving double edged compliments, especially where Michael is concerned - "this season you had us in your hand, but it's only because the team & car are so much better..."

Nice to see open compliments from Eddie - he hasn't always been that gracious!
Old 2 Sep 2004, 14:42 (Ref:1084863)   #17
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
It should be kept in mind that these are comments originally made in English, translated into German by Bild, then translated into Italian by Gazzetta, then translated back to English by me. So take only the general gist. Don't pick apart terms like "in your fist" -I translated directly from Italian, but who knows what Montoya said originally.
Old 2 Sep 2004, 15:34 (Ref:1084915)   #18
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That doesn't really matter, that was pretty accurate description.. However, the " I'll be at the wheel of a McLaren, and I'll give you much more problems"etc needs a bit more clarifications...
Old 2 Sep 2004, 15:58 (Ref:1084943)   #19
QuickSilver
Racer

QuickSilver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
funny ... when i read jv's comments i got the instant impression they were disingenuous and he was using opportunity to subtley fish for a ride. mika's comments were the most heartfelt and juan is a champion only in his own mind.
Old 2 Sep 2004, 16:55 (Ref:1084999)   #20
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Red
That doesn't really matter, that was pretty accurate description.. However, the " I'll be at the wheel of a McLaren, and I'll give you much more problems"etc needs a bit more clarifications...
What do you mean, Red?
Old 2 Sep 2004, 17:23 (Ref:1085032)   #21
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
All pretty much what I'd expect to hear. Except jacques comments.

God the guy has mellowed, hasn't he?

I like to hear that kind of thing from Juan BTW, those who are getting upset over it obviously want to read the same comments over and over again, which let's face it, would be dull indeed.

Juan compliments Michael but throws down the gauntlet as well. Good stuff. Much better than "Michael I love you and I want to have your babies to celebrate your 8th title next year."
Old 2 Sep 2004, 17:33 (Ref:1085040)   #22
QuickSilver
Racer

QuickSilver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
knowlesy,
i doubt jv's mellowed much. what has improved is his ability to hold his anger and disappointment in. somewhere in that twisted wreckage of a man is the hope that some day he'll drive a ferrari. i took his comments as a thinly veiled attempt not to bite the hand that could potentially feed him.
in the past you could always count on jv to tell it like it was. so sad to see him turned into a little begging lamb.
Old 2 Sep 2004, 18:13 (Ref:1085084)   #23
Fuzzyfelt
Racer

Jacques is an intelligent guy and knows exactly what he's saying. I don't believe for a moment he would say anything that wasn't geniune.

The Murray & Martin exchange at the bottom of Quicksilver's post amused the hell out of me though.... God, how I miss Murray.

Last edited by Fuzzyfelt; 2 Sep 2004 at 18:14.
Old 2 Sep 2004, 21:40 (Ref:1085298)   #24
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Cadete
You can acknowledge someone's talent without rolling over.

Montoya can't stand being second best. I'm not saying he should be happy with it, far from it. I'm saying that he should strive to be the best without being allways saying that other just won because of everything except that they were better than him. An interview in AutoHebdo some months ago really gave me that impression.

Now I can see why Ron signed Montoya and Raikkonen - because if there is one guy that they both absolutely HATE to lose to it's Michael Schumacher. I'm sure that they'll want to beat each other next year no doubt about it, but getting beat by Michael? I bet that'll get to them far more than losing to each other.

Surprised that nothing from Kimi is said on the subject. Perhaps he feels the same way as Juan - I wouldn't be surprised, they are his current rivals after all
Old 3 Sep 2004, 13:38 (Ref:1085933)   #25
mp356a
Veteran

United States
SE PA USA
mp356a should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't imagine why anyone would want to hear Irvine's opinion.

Mike