Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 6 Dec 2005, 10:30 (Ref:1478124)   #1
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ian Dawson (Taurus) back in 2006!!!

There have been many on this forum who have enquired about the disappearance/future of Taurus. Well, DSC confirmed this morning that Ian Dawson wheeled out the old Lola B2K/10 at Snetterton yesterday to unveil the teams plans for 2006.

After a year out to secure funding and an intense winter test programme, they (now GroupBio) will return to the track at Sebring next year with Harri Toivenen as lead driver. Backing comes from D1 Oils who are at the forefront of diesel production from energy-renewable crops.

An entry at Le Mans will be sought as well as selected LMS races.

There is a strong hint in the article that Sebring could be the last race for the B2K/10 with a new chassis on the way for the remainder of the season.

Welcome back!
Old 6 Dec 2005, 10:39 (Ref:1478132)   #2
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!

Will they continue using the VW 5.0 TDI? What will be the new chassis? Again Lola?
Old 6 Dec 2005, 10:45 (Ref:1478138)   #3
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03

There is a strong hint in the article that Sebring could be the last race for the B2K/10 with a new chassis on the way for the remainder of the season.
That classic DSC "hint" bugged the hell out of me too!

That said, it shouldn't detract from my genuine happiness at seeing them back on the track and looking at an 06 campaign. They always struck me as an amiable bunch and really what sportscars should all be about. Strangely nostalgic seeing a B2K too.
Old 6 Dec 2005, 10:57 (Ref:1478143)   #4
mariantic
Racer

Scotland
Scotland
mariantic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmariantic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03
An entry at Le Mans will be sought as well as selected LMS races.

I assume Sebring is on as it is the only place to race the B2K (I assume it's still a non-hybridised P900 car) as the race is to ALMS rules.

A new chassis would be needed for LMS and Le Mans.

Very good news...
Old 6 Dec 2005, 11:21 (Ref:1478147)   #5
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion

Will they continue using the VW 5.0 TDI? What will be the new chassis? Again Lola?
Yes, it's the (Touareg) V10 with Mountune responsible for development.

As for the new chassis, they're clearly not ready to announce anything for the time being. But a brand spanking new Lola B06/10 does sound rather nice, doesn't it.........

There's a nice RFM article written post Le Mans 2004 which will give some background to the Team's previous incarnation and the characters involved. You'll find it here.
Old 6 Dec 2005, 11:25 (Ref:1478150)   #6
Dauer 962
Veteran

Dauer 962 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The only things which makes me wonder on the DSC pics is that the Lola has this new regs LMP style double roll over hoops below it’s regular rollover hoop. Looks like a small LMP modification although the rest of the Lola looks quite usual.
Old 6 Dec 2005, 12:33 (Ref:1478177)   #7
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauer 962
The only things which makes me wonder on the DSC pics is that the Lola has this new regs LMP style double roll over hoops below it’s regular rollover hoop. Looks like a small LMP modification although the rest of the Lola looks quite usual.
That's just Ian's old Lola B2K/10 that they previously ran the diesel in. DSC hints at a possible chassis change and good thing too. Those B2K/10s are getting on a bit approaching 6 years old not to mention not meeting the current chassis regulations!
Old 6 Dec 2005, 12:34 (Ref:1478179)   #8
Splendid Cat
Racer

Splendid Cat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The rear is a bit different - check out the DTM-esque fins
Old 6 Dec 2005, 12:37 (Ref:1478182)   #9
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Yes, that's a modification over the standard B2K/10. My memory is fuzzy as to who developed it...didn't Dawson purchase the B2K/10s from someone? Hell, can't recall...goes too far back at this rate.
Old 6 Dec 2005, 12:43 (Ref:1478187)   #10
Splendid Cat
Racer

Splendid Cat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The fins weren't on the cars at LM 2004, and I've never seen them on a Lola until now MM
Old 6 Dec 2005, 13:00 (Ref:1478203)   #11
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Looks like the car will have good funding which is great to see.

The V10 was not upto power in 2004, but I can't help feeling any potential the engine had was masked by the old Lola B2K/10 chassis.
Old 6 Dec 2005, 13:06 (Ref:1478210)   #12
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauer 962
I'd initially thought the Lola looked hybridised, and the discussion on this thread prompted me to have actually quite an enjoyable look through DSC's galleries for 2004 images of the Lola Caterpillar. Having done that it can unequivocably be stated that there were no "humps" on the Lola at Monza in 04 - and their arrival does make it look a lot more like a hybrid.

I suppose the only real thought is whether the car was partly or wholly hybridised for the stillborn 05 campaign, and that this can run at Sebring and then they could either finish the hybrid job or go for something a bit more high-tech for a European campaign - possibly all dependent on whether the ACO is minded to have them come along in June?
Old 6 Dec 2005, 14:19 (Ref:1478280)   #13
yamato
Racer

yamato should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would imagine, that they have been working on a chassis to put the engine in for LM, but the funding to get said chassis is likely tied to getting an invite to LM. I;m guessing that they need to run Sebring to show that they are worthy of a LM bid. If they get the bid, they will get the funding for the car purchase. This being said, I believe that they need to put the car on the entry bid.

My guess is, that they have worked with Lola or Courage to ensure that they engine will fit in one of those chassis. Their new sponsor says, "if you have the bid to run @ LM, we will help you buy the new car." I guess we will see, I am just running off at the brain.
Old 6 Dec 2005, 14:23 (Ref:1478282)   #14
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Problem with that is for a car to be ready by then, one can't wait until they get an invite in order to put down the money for a car. For a car to be ready by LM, I would imagine an order would have to be in to either Lola or Courage by February at the latest.
Old 6 Dec 2005, 17:52 (Ref:1478403)   #15
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
Is it me or has the article dropped off of DSC? I can't seem to locate it. The car didn't appear to me to be hybrised in that for starters the floor didn't seem to have a chamfer and the fact that the pontoon fenders weren't shadow-plated from the side and top as they would have to be. Not that the fenders themselves are illegal, but that they expose floor area and tub surface which according to the regs can't be viewed (at least as I understand the regs).
Old 6 Dec 2005, 18:17 (Ref:1478414)   #16
tblincoe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulsanneMike
Is it me or has the article dropped off of DSC? I can't seem to locate it. The car didn't appear to me to be hybrised in that for starters the floor didn't seem to have a chamfer and the fact that the pontoon fenders weren't shadow-plated from the side and top as they would have to be. Not that the fenders themselves are illegal, but that they expose floor area and tub surface which according to the regs can't be viewed (at least as I understand the regs).
I was going to post the same thing, seems the article is down now. Hmmm
Old 6 Dec 2005, 19:50 (Ref:1478459)   #17
almzkid
Rookie

almzkid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ya I don't see it either.
Old 6 Dec 2005, 20:03 (Ref:1478470)   #18
eddsc
Racer

eddsc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm... asked to remove it, alas. The fuel company will be making its own announcement next month.
Old 6 Dec 2005, 20:09 (Ref:1478476)   #19
tblincoe
Veteran

Maybe by then they can give us some more information on what they are going to do chassis-wise. A biodiesel-powered car is definitely a great idea, hopefully they show up at Sebring and have a decent outing!
Old 6 Dec 2005, 22:17 (Ref:1478565)   #20
PRF
Racer

PRF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddsc
Hmmm... asked to remove it, alas. The fuel company will be making its own announcement next month.
Check out here chaps. http://www.d1plc.com/news_show_article.php/138.html

Nice selection of photo's of the old nail.
Old 6 Dec 2005, 23:56 (Ref:1478607)   #21
tblincoe
Veteran

Thanks for the link, after further inspection I think it is a hybrid (or in the midst of becoming one).
Old 7 Dec 2005, 01:03 (Ref:1478629)   #22
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd say half a hybrid maybe? It doesn't seem to have the increased ground clearance.
Old 7 Dec 2005, 11:14 (Ref:1478823)   #23
Randy
Rookie

United Kingdom
Henley on Thames
Randy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You would have thought these guys would want to change the perception that deisels are for tractors but instead they use a car that looks just like a tractor
Old 7 Dec 2005, 11:50 (Ref:1478843)   #24
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
You would have thought these guys would want to change the perception that deisels are for tractors but instead they use a car that looks just like a tractor
Bit unfair!!! Okay, the B2K may not be the most physically appealing car to grace a track, but there's still something about the front end with it's locomotive style cyclops headlight and almost steamship like prow that strangely appeals in an ugly-beautiful kind of way. When combined with some of the innovations like the DTM style fins at the back there's a real purposeful appeal to the car.

Put another way, looking at some ALMS races last year, the VDS B2K looked positively ancient alongside the newer Lolas and Courages (which themselves are not without their retro features) - almost as though someone had parachuted a Porsche 936 into the 21st century, but still unquestionably was a racing car and added to the diversity that makes sportscar racing great.
Old 7 Dec 2005, 12:16 (Ref:1478865)   #25
Randy
Rookie

United Kingdom
Henley on Thames
Randy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree... hence the

Ian Dawson is a good guy, good luck to them.