Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 26 Jul 2008, 11:02 (Ref:2258104)   #1
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
[BTCC] Round 7 - Oulton Park, 27th July 2008

The Super 2000 UK double header this weekend.

SEAT 1-2 in practice, with Plato leading Jones!.

Qualifying Result

1 - Jason Plato - SEAT Sport UK - SEAT Leon TDI - 1:27.688

2 - Darren Turner - SEAT Sport UK - SEAT Leon TDI - 1:27.855

3 - Tom Chilton - Team Halfords - Honda Civic Type-S - 1:28.132

4 - Tom Onslow-Cole - VX Racing - Vauxhall Vectra - 1:28.141

5 - Fabrizio Giovanardi - VX Racing - Vauxhall Vectra - 1:28.161

6 - Gordon Shedden - Team Halfords - Honda Civic Type-S - 1:28.250

7 - Matt Neal - VX Racing - Vauxhall Vectra - 1:28.252

8 - Colin Turkington - Team RAC - BMW 320si E90 - 1:28.435

9 - Adam Jones - Team Air Cool / GR Asia - SEAT Leon - 1:28.607

10 - Andrew Jordan - John Guest Racing - Honda Integra Type-R - 1:28.760

11 - Mat Jackson - BMW Dealer Team UK - BMW 320si E90 - 1:28.902

12 - Stephen Jelley - Team RAC - BMW 320si E90 - 1:28.903

13 - Jason Hughes - Team KWR - MG-ZS / Honda Integra - 1:29.010

14 - Harry Vaulkhard - Robertshaw Racing - Chevrolet Lacetti - 1:29.114

15 - Mike Jordan - John Guest Racing - Honda Integra Type-R - 1:29.144

16 - Steven Kane - Motorbase Performance - BMW 320si E90 - 1:29.241

17 - Rob Collard - Motorbase Performance - BMW 320si E90 - 1:29.468

18 - Michael Doyle - In-Tune Racing - Honda Civic Type-R - 1:29.928

19 - John George - TH Motorsport - Honda Integra Type-R - 1:30.049

20 - Chris Stockton - BTC Racing - SEAT Toledo - 1:30.377

21 - Martyn Bell - Arkas Racing - Vauxhall Astra Sport Hatch - 1:30.481

22 - Gareth Howell - BTC Racing - SEAT Toledo - 1:31.240

23 - Alan Taylor - Robertshaw Racing - Honda Integra Type-R - 1:31.594

Car graphics by Andy Blackmore Design

Last edited by Hazard; 26 Jul 2008 at 18:42.
Old 26 Jul 2008, 12:00 (Ref:2258114)   #2
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
And it's a Seat 1-2 in the second session too with Turner being quicker than Plato.

BTW why has Erkut Kizilirmak withdrawn?
Old 26 Jul 2008, 21:35 (Ref:2258287)   #3
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What was it that was said during the last meeting...the next venue (Oulton) wouldn't suit the SEATs.

And what's happened to Erkut? That's 2 of my predictions blown out of the water....and it's only Saturday
Old 26 Jul 2008, 21:41 (Ref:2258292)   #4
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I understand that he is still stuck in Turkey.....
Old 27 Jul 2008, 00:14 (Ref:2258335)   #5
kristof14
Veteran

kristof14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What's happened to the Beemers? A bit far down the grid, especially Motorbase
Old 27 Jul 2008, 08:24 (Ref:2258422)   #6
Spaced Invader
Racer

England
Attleborough, Norfolk
Spaced Invader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i really thought that the bmws would be higher up the grid than they are.

it'd really make a great fight for the championship if the seats have got it hooked up on the tracks, like here at oulton, that they and other people expected them to struggle.
Old 27 Jul 2008, 12:14 (Ref:2258497)   #7
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Plato wins it, but the BMWs certainly got better as the race went on. Also, when did the BTC-spec cars get a weight break?
Old 27 Jul 2008, 20:42 (Ref:2258650)   #8
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Race 2: Turner's wishbone broke, Plato appeared to have the Snetterton problem re-appear - whatever it is Seat don't want to let us know?

Race 3: What was Chilton up to. Can a 'professional' driver really be caught out by others braking ?
Old 27 Jul 2008, 21:15 (Ref:2258673)   #9
Spaced Invader
Racer

England
Attleborough, Norfolk
a great result for andrew jordan. really pleased for him.

i met him in 'unfortunate circumstances' in the sear corn field at snett and he seemed a really top bloke, had a lot of time for us marshals and was really gratefull for us getting him out. so im well, well chuffed he got his first podium in the btcc.

first of many hopefully.
Old 27 Jul 2008, 21:30 (Ref:2258682)   #10
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting racing today,

race 1, not sure I would go with the theory it was Mike Jordans fault in the accident, Turner drops the ball again although Chiltons pass was suspect.

Race 2 , Seat in trouble, great for Turkington

Race 3, driver of the race Adam Jones only due to Andrew making a slight error but great to see him up there, Chilton...brain fade?

Umm I'll make a prediction that Chilton leaves Dynamics and replaces Jelley with Andrew Jordan going in to Chiltons seat.Seat will replace Turner for Jones.
Old 27 Jul 2008, 21:46 (Ref:2258692)   #11
Tony_Simpson
Veteran

Tony_Simpson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have not watched much BTC action over the last couple of years due to the generally poor driving but i happened to be able to watch the racing on TV and it seems somethings have not changed.

I think Tom Chilton's attempted re-pass of Darren Turner was an absolute joke. Tome was not along side Darren, and actually hit him in the rear 3/4's of the car. That is blantent bad driving from Tom. It was Darrens corner and Tom should have backed off and tried later on in the race. Darren did a great save to not have a massive spin then.

the Mike Jordan incident was unfortunate and seems he got a bit hot headded and too pushy.

Tom Chilton in race 3.... well i know people can make mistakes and outbrake themselves, etc. but every racing driver knows that on the first lap with everyone so tightly packed that you have to careful and watchful. This is a massive mistake for someone who is a paid driver, with many year experiance in touring cars.

He is a quick driver dont get me wrong but he seems to lack the finese in a race situation. The two mistakes mentioned help show this IMO.

I was very impressed with Adam Jones and Andrew Jordan, (and a couple more but forgot the names) who showed they could race side by side, cleanly with minimal contact. Excellent driving IMO. Hope they get there chance to chine in with 'works' teams soon.
Old 27 Jul 2008, 22:00 (Ref:2258699)   #12
BtccRob08
Rookie

BtccRob08 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Adam Jones drove brilliantly. I was thinking that he should have a works drive with Seat but, im not sure. He seems to get better results than the works cars!

Andy Jordan drove well again. Perhaps his tyres may have gone off in the last few laps, as he seemed to drop off the pace?

Chiltons driving throuughout the day was truly awful. He is getting a bit too big headed. He needs a talking to from either his team or TOCA and he needs to calm down a bit.

Seat need to drop a bit of their power and instead gain a bit of reliablity. I can only think they are trying to squeeze too much power out of the car and its making it very unreliable. Its better to have a quick car that finishes races constantly in the points, rather than having a extremely quick car that can only last one race.

Oh, in the end how many bumpers did Alan Taylor get through? lol
Old 27 Jul 2008, 22:03 (Ref:2258701)   #13
kristof14
Veteran

kristof14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BtccRob08

Oh, in the end how many bumpers did Alan Taylor get through? lol
Not sure but I did see at least 3 people carrying different bits of his car during the day!
Old 27 Jul 2008, 22:04 (Ref:2258703)   #14
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebaby
Umm I'll make a prediction that Chilton leaves Dynamics and replaces Jelley with Andrew Jordan going in to Chiltons seat.Seat will replace Turner for Jones.
Sounds good to me. Especially since there's a BTCC/Le Mans clash for Turner next year. As for Chilton's race 3 move... just seemed to be caught out by Gio's braking early and pushed onto the grass, where of coure there was no grip to brake. However, it was probably a split second decision - either run into the back of the Vectra, or take avoiding action onto the grass. In that instance the latter choice caused his and Kane's retirement; but who's to say that slamming into the back of Gio wouldn't have been a bigger crash?
Old 28 Jul 2008, 00:41 (Ref:2258746)   #15
Spaced Invader
Racer

England
Attleborough, Norfolk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebaby
being a long time wsr supporter i'd hate to see chilton in a wsr car.

although bound to get more points in a season than jelly i'd plum for a bit of inexperience but promise in that car. mikey doyle?

i'd like to think so as he's driven the nuts of a very (comparitably) old car and shown up more experienced drivers in similar or newer machines.

with jordan jr it'd be great to see what he could do in a front running machine (the dynamics car). i think he could do the business with the experience he's gained from this season.

would hate to lose turner from the btcc as i rate him but he just doesnt seem to produce what a works team would expect from him, although he does seem to be a big fat magnet of bad luck.

jones would be a top addition to the seat squad if this where to happen though.
Old 28 Jul 2008, 07:51 (Ref:2258783)   #16
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Unfortunately, just about every BTCC meeting seems to produce at least one driver who makes at least one really dangerous and braindead move, and this time it was Chilton - twice. He had no hope of passsing Turner back into that corner, and it's disappointing that the commentators again refused to criticise him. Losing it so heavily under braking in race 3 was an amateurish mistake which destroyed the races of several drivers - Jelley and Onslow-Cole as well as Kane.

SEAT's reliability issues must be caused by installation or backup systems, as the WTCC team haven't been having the same problems. Turner shouldn't be receiving criticism - when the cars and other drivers have allowed it he's been an impressive wingman. It's just that, even as Plato suffers mechanical problems regularly, so does Turner.

Jones, Andrew Jordan and Kane were among the stars of the weekend - all deserve a chance in works equipment next year.
Old 28 Jul 2008, 10:00 (Ref:2258864)   #17
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't get all this clamouring for people to get works drivers. The only works drives available are Vauxhall (who look set to field the same trio in 2009) and SEAT. I wouldn't want a SEAT works drive at the moment. The team are too biased towards Plato, they make too many basic errors with regards to the rules and regs and their reliability record is shocking. They really need a proper racing car preparation squad to take over the team. Northern South just can't hack it.
Old 28 Jul 2008, 10:48 (Ref:2258904)   #18
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
Jones, Andrew Jordan and Kane were among the stars of the weekend - all deserve a chance in works equipment next year.
Maybe not works equipment but maybe Jones to Seat(replacing Plato as he will be had enough with the diesel), Jordan to Dynamics and Kane to WSR
Old 28 Jul 2008, 11:26 (Ref:2258937)   #19
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves
I don't get all this clamouring for people to get works drivers. The only works drives available are Vauxhall (who look set to field the same trio in 2009) and SEAT. I wouldn't want a SEAT works drive at the moment. The team are too biased towards Plato, they make too many basic errors with regards to the rules and regs and their reliability record is shocking. They really need a proper racing car preparation squad to take over the team. Northern South just can't hack it.

I agree in some respects, look at what RML achieved in 2004. However would a top line team wish to run cars and engines that are simply supplied to them ?
Old 28 Jul 2008, 11:35 (Ref:2258945)   #20
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves
I don't get all this clamouring for people to get works drivers. The only works drives available are Vauxhall (who look set to field the same trio in 2009) and SEAT.
I think that when a lot of people refer to a 'works drive', they are also including Team RAC and Team Halfords in that category.

On this subject, what likelihood seeing Jordan Jr in a Team Halfords car next season.

IIRC, both his and his father's cars have benefited from Team Dynamics assistance in setup/data etc. I can see a situation whereby Mike retires at the end of this season, and pools resources to get Andrew a seat with Team Halfords.

Mike seems very knowledgeable regarding car set up issues and could even work within the Team Dynamics setup.
Old 28 Jul 2008, 14:08 (Ref:2259048)   #21
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The team-Halfords-drivers are worksdrivers for Honda, since they are not eligible for the independents-trophy. The fact that Honda strangely haven't signed up for the manufacturerschampionship is another thing...
Old 28 Jul 2008, 16:56 (Ref:2259144)   #22
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by werner
The team-Halfords-drivers are worksdrivers for Honda, since they are not eligible for the independents-trophy.
Not strictly true. Team Dynamics received more technical assistance from Honda than would have been made available to any other team, that means they are not eligible to score Independents' points, however it does not make them a works team. Honda provide no financial support, and as they won't pay the manufacturer entry fee they can't score manufacturer points either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm
I can see a situation whereby Mike retires at the end of this season, and pools resources to get Andrew a seat with Team Halfords.
Interesting idea.

On the assumption that TD won't run three cars, who does Andrew replace?
Old 28 Jul 2008, 18:54 (Ref:2259192)   #23
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
"Honda provide no financial support"

Dynamics get financial support from Honda UK. I remember Alan Gow confirmed it on his forum a while back when someone asked him.
Old 28 Jul 2008, 20:21 (Ref:2259224)   #24
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes
Interesting idea.

On the assumption that TD won't run three cars, who does Andrew replace?
I think they'd hold faith with Shedden, and would see Chilton without a seat.

After his comments about the Civic being more suited to his driving style than the Vectra, he needed to prove a lot, but has delivered little.

TD have run three cars regularly in recent seasons though, and with drivers paying for their seats there's no reason why they wouldn't run three next season.
Old 29 Jul 2008, 08:51 (Ref:2259408)   #25
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[quote=Tony_Simpson]
. This is a massive mistake for someone who is a paid driver, with many year experiance in touring cars.

quote]

Chilton pays for his drive through sponsership/money given to the team, not paid directly by dynamics.

I totally agree about Tons driving standards who for me has dropped off since leaving Arena with Mike Earl able to extract the very best of him both on/off the track.

I refer to off track as Toms style in an Interview situation is cringe worthy with how he comes across, not professional and its as though hes taking part in a "track day" with his mates.