Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 1 Feb 2010, 06:12 (Ref:2623443)   #1
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Calling all Subaru owners...

I'm on the verge of buying a car, which will probably be a late 90s/early 00s Subaru (not an Impreza though). I'd like to hear your thoughts on their reliabilty and usefulness, if you have owned one, or know someone who has one.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 2 Feb 2010, 19:13 (Ref:2625166)   #2
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If it's not an Impreza I'm guessing you're talking Liberty (Legacy in non-Aus markets).

Depends what you're looking at really. If it's relatively unmodified and has a full service history (ideally dealer for at least the first three years or so) then you should have an absolutely bulletproof car that will be ultra reliable and will go on and on for ever.

Be wary of Japanese imports with little history, especially modified GTs/Turbos.

If you can stretch to a 2004/5 model year Liberty then do - it's a huge improvement on the previous model.

If you're looking at standard models rather than the performance GTs and B4s, the 2.0 is a more reliable unit long term than the 2.5 quad cam.

Much of the same applies if you're looking at a Forester.

I'm on my 7th Subaru, one for each star in the badge.
Old 6 Feb 2010, 12:31 (Ref:2627829)   #3
Zico
Racer

Zico should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have an 02 plate Impreza Gx wagon 2.0 litre (non turbo), its on 90k miles now and we have only had any real issues worth mentioning in last 6 months, rear wheelbearing gone, quite common at that millage and a nightmare to remove (seized hub bolt)
A new wideband Lambda sensor was also required due to excessive thirst and failing the mot emmisions test.
A rear strut spring pan also rotted through.. I've welded it for a quick fix and will keep an eye on it to see how it holds up.
One of the front dampers is also getting a bit tired but all these parts are consumer parts and replacements are to be expected at that age/millage as with all cars.

I also opened the passenger door one morning during the big freeze to be greeted by a fully grown rat on the passenger seat!. I got rid of it and haven't had a problem since but how it got in is a mystery.

My partner lost it on black ice on christmas day, she spun backwards into a ditch hitting a bank, I had to tow it out with a tractor due to it being grounded and expected a lot of panel damage and a bent rear suspension arms but was amazed to find it nearly 100% unscathed with just a minor scratch on the front bumper.

Very tough, well bolted together but not designed for ease of access for DIY mechanics, ie the whole front light unit has to be removed just to change a side light bulb.
A bit on the heavy side, not very quick and a bit gutsy due to the extra weight of the 4wd system but very dependable, very stable and obviously great traction if a bit dull, uninvolving to drive with the vague steering, but then it is just a family car after all.

Last edited by Zico; 6 Feb 2010 at 12:46.
Old 6 Mar 2010, 05:01 (Ref:2645933)   #4
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
For anyone interested- today I put a deposit on a 2002 Subaru Forester! I'll put some pics up once I pick it up on Wednesday/Thursday for all to see
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 6 Mar 2010, 10:30 (Ref:2646018)   #5
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Excellent.
Old 6 Mar 2010, 11:02 (Ref:2646032)   #6
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Cheers garc- It has full service history, all done by a Subaru dealer, it's a 'Limited' model Forester, good load of features, nice lot of hidey-holes in the cabin, I'm just not sure if it's got the 2.0 or the 2.5L engine- I read somewhere they upgraded the engine to the 2.5 in 2002, but I also saw a spec sheet online that had it listed as a 2.0.

Unfortunately I forgot to check which it had when I was looking through the owner's manual today
Old 8 Mar 2010, 03:43 (Ref:2647184)   #7
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Lol Forester.
Old 8 Mar 2010, 07:48 (Ref:2647231)   #8
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Care to share with us your current transportation Matthew?
Old 8 Mar 2010, 13:48 (Ref:2647430)   #9
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Lol Forester.
???
Old 8 Mar 2010, 18:16 (Ref:2647595)   #10
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
???
In the US, Foresters have the stigma of cars being owned by butch lesbians, same with the Outback.
Old 8 Mar 2010, 18:17 (Ref:2647596)   #11
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters View Post
Care to share with us your current transportation Matthew?
I drive something you cant legally own til you're over the age of 22.
Old 8 Mar 2010, 19:45 (Ref:2647659)   #12
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I'm on my 2nd legacy 2.5 Na manual estate, 2003 and late 2004 now, superb all round car, not the most economical, but good fun to drive, a great family car, a great workhorse and a fab race/tow vehicle
Old 8 Mar 2010, 22:25 (Ref:2647786)   #13
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Quote:
In the US, Foresters have the stigma of cars being owned by butch lesbians, same with the Outback.
Whereas in the UK all the butch lesbians drive Jeeps.
Old 8 Mar 2010, 23:13 (Ref:2647812)   #14
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!
Where are the pics then? Or you 1st showing it to all your shee.... I mean girlfriends? :P

What sort of motorist are you... Smooth or Hairy

I'm definitely hairy.
Old 8 Mar 2010, 23:38 (Ref:2647827)   #15
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Quote:

That's my mates Forester, and he's definately not a butch lesbian

Clearly there is some sort of developmental gap between US Forester owners and Aussie Forester owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar View Post
Where are the pics then? Or you 1st showing it to all your shee.... I mean girlfriends? :P
I haven't picked it up yet (wow that sounded wrong)... I'm getting it tomorrow or Thursday.
Old 9 Mar 2010, 00:58 (Ref:2647855)   #16
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Quote:
Whereas in the UK all the butch lesbians drive Jeeps.
The Jeep Wrangler, something grown men and cheerleaders can agree on.
Old 9 Mar 2010, 10:55 (Ref:2648055)   #17
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire

Indeed!

Chatters, I've never seen a Forester looking like that! Over here the modifiers usually start with a Citroen Saxo!
Old 9 Mar 2010, 11:07 (Ref:2648066)   #18
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Chatters, I've never seen a Forester looking like that! Over here the modifiers usually start with a Citroen Saxo!
Definately on the extreme end of the 'modded Forester' stick isn't it??

Picking mine up tomorrow afternoon, can't wait to take it for a spin!
Old 9 Mar 2010, 15:25 (Ref:2648238)   #19
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters View Post
Picking mine up tomorrow afternoon, can't wait to take it for a spin!
...as long as it doesn't take you for a spin!
Old 10 Mar 2010, 10:52 (Ref:2648809)   #20
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Here it is!

Old 10 Mar 2010, 13:05 (Ref:2648883)   #21
Peter Dunne
Tea Addict And Summoner Of Safety Cars
Veteran

Peter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPeter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Congrats Chatters!

Sure looks like a nice clean and tidy example.

Happy motoring
Old 10 Mar 2010, 15:25 (Ref:2648958)   #22
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Nice one Chatters! That's cleaner than any Forester that age I've ever seen!
Old 10 Mar 2010, 16:03 (Ref:2648970)   #23
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A fellow down in England competes in stage rallies in a Subaru Forrester. Thought I'd mention. Carry on.
Old 10 Mar 2010, 16:30 (Ref:2648981)   #24
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
I suppose it's useful if he accidentally goes off piste...
Old 21 Mar 2010, 23:31 (Ref:2657527)   #25
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down F0rce View Post
A fellow down in England competes in stage rallies in a Subaru Forrester. Thought I'd mention. Carry on.
I had a ride through a rally stage last year with an Asst CoC in a Forester GT (turbo), including through some short-cuts they kept the rally cars away from because they were too rough/steep, it was very impressive.